Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Media Mania > Books Reviews and Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average
(12-Apr-2007 at 12:50)

Bram Stoker - Dracula (1897)

External Links
Wikipedia
SparkNotes

Introduction
A true classic in the horror genre, and in the public domain so that you can find free electronic and audio versions of it. Over a century old, yet still popular.

Summary
Jonathan Harker is a young English lawyer. To conclude a real estate deal with a nobleman called Count Dracula, he travels to Transsylvania where Count Dracula lives.
Jonathan Harker discovers that the Count is not as nice as he pretends to be, and in fact has supernatural powers. When he finds out that he is a prisoner in the castle, he attempts an escape.
Meanwhile, in England strange happenings occur that can be linked to Castle Dracula.
Eventually, Jonathan Harker marries his fiancee and heads back to England, to team up with the people who have been fighting vampires there. Together they decide to kill Count Dracula, and finally succeed in doing so.

Last edited by Apeiron, 12-Apr-2007 at 12:51.
View Public Profile Visit Apeiron's homepage Find more posts by Apeiron Add Apeiron to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(12-Apr-2007 at 12:52)

I was personally surprised at how modern the book seemed in some parts. It is not one of my favorite books ever, but I can appreciate it. It is of course a classic, and deserves that status.
View Public Profile Visit Apeiron's homepage Find more posts by Apeiron Add Apeiron to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(12-Apr-2007 at 14:20)

I am still not sure if I like it that much, but it is on the list of 'must-reads'. Simply because it's a classic.

2012 <--- GOOGLE BOMB IT.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Sabbie Add Sabbie to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(08-Jun-2007 at 00:17)

Personally, I loved Dracula. I particularly liked the way that Bram Stoker told the whole story through letters, newspaper articles, and whatnot. That technique makes it more realistic, believeable, and gives you better access to what is going on inside the minds of the characters. As far as classic tales of horror go though, I am more partial to Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Lilydaze Add Lilydaze to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(16-Jun-2007 at 11:25)

Letters, newspaper, and the diary of course Very good technique indeed. Frankenstein is on my list for this summer (although it is low on the list, so may not get around to it).
Research Group
Donated $112.99
(09-Oct-2007 at 15:27)

After reading it for english class... wow.

The whole layout of it is interesting, but that's about it.

Every time I went to read it, put me to sleep.

It may be a "classic" but I think it was so boring..
View Public Profile Find more posts by advocatus Add advocatus to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(29-Nov-2007 at 05:44)

same here I'm a huge fan of the gothic/horror genres but this book was just boring as hell. the diary/newspaper way it was compiled kept me interested at first, but it just got ridiculously boring after awhile.

Last Member of the Church of Valek
-------------------------------------
Insert something witty here.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -John Paul Jones
View Public Profile Visit Dead Canaanite's homepage Find more posts by Dead Canaanite Add Dead Canaanite to your Buddy List Reply with Quote