Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Respectable General Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
Global Moderator
(26-Jul-2012 at 23:12)

London 2012

So its finally here. I commute past the Olympic park every day, so I've basically witnessed the stadium and various other venues as they were constructed. I'm now expecting 3 weeks of commuting hell.

And yet, I'm strangely excited about the whole thing. I'm mostly intrigued as to how the rest of the world sees these Games, how well you feel they've been hosted, and what opinions you get about London and the UK from them.

So, here's a discussion thread for anything Olympic related

People, like snowflakes, are all slightly different, but we all follow the same patterns -Stewie
Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

Some people are like Slinkies- absolutely useless, but always fun to push down stairs!
View Public Profile Find more posts by Azure Dragon Add Azure Dragon to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Black Aurora)
(26-Jul-2012 at 23:16)

Must be nice to see the whole thing slowly come to life right there between where you live and work.

For some reason I'm not really enthusiastic about the games this time. Dunno why, maybe it was the disastrous Euro2012 that kinda left a dent in my sports heart. I will definitely check the opening ceremony though.

What are your favorite olympic sports?
View Public Profile Visit Black Oranje's homepage Find more posts by Black Oranje Add Black Oranje to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
(26-Jul-2012 at 23:37)

Mostly, I'll be watching the Cycling. I'll keep an eye on all the sports though I think

People, like snowflakes, are all slightly different, but we all follow the same patterns -Stewie

Some people are like Slinkies- absolutely useless, but always fun to push down stairs!
View Public Profile Find more posts by Azure Dragon Add Azure Dragon to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
(28-Jul-2012 at 03:30)

So... opening ceremony? What did you think?

Global Moderator
(28-Jul-2012 at 04:08)

I enjoyed it. I doubt non-Brits will understand much of it (I heard that some American commentators thought Brunel was supposed to be Abraham Lincoln ), but I don't care. I liked it. The industrial revolution + rings, Bean, the lighting of the torch, the Queens indifference, some of the music tour were highlights.

........Why does the thin grey strand......Ah, you will understand;.......................I should find, for a reprimand
.......Floating up from the forgotten......When I carried my mother downstairs,.....To my gaiety, a few long grey hairs
......Cigarette between my fingers,......A few times only, at the beginning..........On the breast of my coat; and one by one
.....Why does it trouble me?.............Of her soft-foot malady,.......................I watched them float up the dark chimney.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Swifty Add Swifty to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(28-Jul-2012 at 07:21)

I like the winter games more so I may not watch much of it at all. is female nude volleyball an olympic sport, if so then maybe...? I feel sorry for you abt the commuting part. I would never want that here.

I think the part of the commentators is just someone poking fun. It was widely reported here that it was all abt English history.

and if you didnt figure it out I didnt watch the opening.

Never Forget

September 11, 2001
View Public Profile Find more posts by Invictus2001 Add Invictus2001 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Black Aurora)
(28-Jul-2012 at 12:33)

I liked the opening ceremony. It was a bit chaotic (saw peeps on twitter referring to it as a "chaotic history lesson"), but man, creatively, it was a jewel. The victorian era bit with the forging of the rings was great, it perfectly managed to capture the feeling of the era. The industrial revolution in full swing, all the people working franticly, and it was beautiful to see everybody stopped to look up at the rings being forged. The modern olympics started in 1896, about at the end of the era, and they captured that beautifully.

The hospital scenes were great too. The blankets lighting up was very pretty to see. One sarcy comment though: When they showed the big model of a kid in the bed - with head and feet out and the rest under the blanket - there was nothing under the blanket... now the people on stage were shaking the blanket, but it all just looked as if the blanket had melted the kid's body away lol.

Big props for the queen on her little bit with Daniel Craig. Also, Rowan Atkinson's bit was hilarious
View Public Profile Visit Black Oranje's homepage Find more posts by Black Oranje Add Black Oranje to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(30-Jul-2012 at 14:47)

Originally Posted by Azure Dragon:
So... opening ceremony? What did you think?
Brilliant. Weirdly brilliant. Far more creative than I expected. An army of Mary Poppins's beating up Lord Voldemort? How weird can it get?

Originally Posted by Swifty:
(I heard that some American commentators thought Brunel was supposed to be Abraham Lincoln )
I heard that too, and I also liked the bit where Boris Johnson took the mickey out of Mitt Romney for saying London wasn't ready...

"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." But let it be considered that he did not mean a real and generous love of our country, but that pretended patriotism which so many, in all ages and countries, have made a cloak of self- interest.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Voice of Reason Add Voice of Reason to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
(30-Jul-2012 at 22:55)

Oh I know what Romney did wrong. He actually read "The Sun" and believed what was written. Then again... he is religious...

I think Danny Boyle did actually work a masterpiece. I don't recall a live show I've enjoyed more, and I think it did pretty well at showing the world the positive things Britain has brought to the world.

(31-Jul-2012 at 06:30)

well i watched a soccer game and a few swim meets.
Kinda sad seeing so many empty seats at some of the events.

Never Forget

September 11, 2001
View Public Profile Find more posts by Invictus2001 Add Invictus2001 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
(31-Jul-2012 at 12:54)

Re: London 2012

Originally Posted by Invictus2001: View Post
well i watched a soccer game and a few swim meets.
Kinda sad seeing so many empty seats at some of the events.
The same applies at any Olympics. Less interesting games = less attendances.

The only difference between this and the last one was China shipped people in to fill the vacancies.

........Why does the thin grey strand......Ah, you will understand;.......................I should find, for a reprimand
.......Floating up from the forgotten......When I carried my mother downstairs,.....To my gaiety, a few long grey hairs
......Cigarette between my fingers,......A few times only, at the beginning..........On the breast of my coat; and one by one
.....Why does it trouble me?.............Of her soft-foot malady,.......................I watched them float up the dark chimney.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Swifty Add Swifty to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $5.36
(31-Jul-2012 at 19:20)

I was kind of disappointed that Boyle skipped a few(!) centuries of English history, except for Kenneth Branagh reciting an incongruous passage from The Tempest. I mean, if you're going to quote Shakespeare about England, you should really use this:

Originally Posted by John of Gaunt:
This royal throne of kings, this sceptred isle,
This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars,
This other Eden, demi-paradise,
This fortress built by Nature for herself
Against infection and the hand of war,
This happy breed of men, this little world,
This precious stone set in the silver sea,
Which serves it in the office of a wall
Or as a moat defensive to a house,
Against the envy of less happier lands,--
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.

No Comment
View Public Profile Find more posts by BrandonC Add BrandonC to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(01-Aug-2012 at 15:13)

I thought Caliban's speech was a good choice, as Caliban was describing how pleasant he found his island.

Or maybe i just like the word 'twangling'...

"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." But let it be considered that he did not mean a real and generous love of our country, but that pretended patriotism which so many, in all ages and countries, have made a cloak of self- interest.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Voice of Reason Add Voice of Reason to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(01-Aug-2012 at 16:59)

Re: London 2012

Originally Posted by Swifty: View Post
The same applies at any Olympics. Less interesting games = less attendances.

The only difference between this and the last one was China shipped people in to fill the vacancies.
The way it was reported here they gave so many tickets to various nations to use and nobody used them. After a lil uproar they asked for any unused tickets back and then sold them to people who actually wanted to go.

Never Forget

September 11, 2001
(02-Aug-2012 at 15:27)
What about that part where the Normans murdered and raped every last soul who refused central law?

Or where was the part which starved and discrimated against the irish?

Love selective history leftist marketing bullcrap.

/sarcasm
View Public Profile Find more posts by Gotterdammerung Add Gotterdammerung to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Black Aurora)
(02-Aug-2012 at 18:46)

What about that part where the Dutch invaded and installed a member of the Dutch Royal House on the throne? Yaknow, the one the current English royals are descendent from?
Global Moderator
(04-Aug-2012 at 17:36)

Britain has a very rich history that goes back over a thousand years. There is much you could pick out and recommend could be included, but I think Boyle was aiming mostly for the history since the games started.