Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > Utopia Angel > Report Bugs and Problems

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(22-Feb-2002 at 00:03)
Catastrophic faliure

I recently have got this message, sometimes 20 times in an instant. It often occurs when I try to move the banner out of the way, but sometimes else as well.

I run windows 2000, if that matters.

Mors ultima linea rerum est
ICQ# 134310691
View Public Profile Find more posts by Mynath Add Mynath to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Administrator
(22-Feb-2002 at 02:26)

question Re: Catastrophic faliure

What message?

Brother Green, Utopia Angel creator.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Brother Green Add Brother Green to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Feb-2002 at 02:27)
I got the same thing

I dont know why it happens either. I moused over the clipboard, and I got the same message. I didn't even get near the ads.
View Public Profile Find more posts by celstar Add celstar to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Feb-2002 at 02:33)
"CASTASTROPHIC FAILURE" in a OK dialogue box
View Public Profile Find more posts by celstar Add celstar to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Administrator
(22-Feb-2002 at 02:42)

question

This is definitely a new one... Computer specifics?

View Public Profile Find more posts by Brother Green Add Brother Green to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Feb-2002 at 04:23)
i got this message box too "catastrophic failure". i tried to reconstruct what i did when getting the message box but it didn't happen again so i will try to describe what i did when it hapened

started utopia angel as usual. i copied the kingdom page, the clipboard viewer poped up, a windows "ding" sound came, i thought nothing of it. then i tried to scroll down on the viewer but it refused to scroll (i don't know if this is related). then i noticed the small message box "catastrophic failure", clicked on the button and everything went as normal. couple of minutes later copied my own cb and science and growth page, again a (couple of) windows "ding" sound, the scroll bar refused again, and there were about five messages boxes. after that i shutdwon angel and restarted angel and tried to pinpoint exactly what action made the box to appear but the box never came again to be honest i miss that box now i want it back hehehe

btw i didn't even touch the banner windows at the first time the messages came. although later while testing i moved them all over my screen and no catastrophic failure.

my system
p3 700 512mb
win2k sp2 dx8 ie5.5

(the thread title should be renamed to correct the spelling because i searched for the phrase and found none and i was about to post a new thread before seeing this)
View Public Profile Find more posts by HadroLepton Add HadroLepton to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Feb-2002 at 05:02)
"Unexpected Failure"

I get this message: "Unexpected Failure" in a message box. This message pops up every 10 seconds or so, so sometimes i have to close a like a stack of these messages. There period where it doesn't happen for awhile. The wierd thing is it just started happening today.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Zebulahn Add Zebulahn to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Administrator
(22-Feb-2002 at 05:40)

question

Did you all just upgraded to v1.26? Did it ever happened to you with any earlier version? If it happens again, watch the state of the ad -- is the default banner displayed, or is a real ad loaded?

Donated $12.00
(22-Feb-2002 at 08:18)

No BG it happened to me last night too - Australian time (the unexpected failure windows error check box - with the clipboard and Buildings calculator minimised). I tried to click on them on the task bar to maximise them and nothing happened. If you click OK in the error box and keep clicking to get rid of all the error boxes that way, you can then maximise the clipboard and buildings calculator. It has not happened today.

System
P3 733
Win 98 SE
128 Meg RAM
56k modem

The only programs running were Utopia ICQ and Angel

"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience"
View Public Profile Find more posts by Pirate Pete Add Pirate Pete to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Feb-2002 at 11:46)
Unexpected Failure

I also started getting it about 5-7 hours ago.

When it started acting up, went down stairs to use kids' computer, but got it on it too.

I have rebooted computer and made sure everything else was closed to so no conflict.

It does not close Angel, but sure beeps and stacks up the boxes.

I am only running clip board viewer and military calculator, but getting it when only on of them open too.
View Public Profile Find more posts by KaliQ Add KaliQ to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Feb-2002 at 11:50)
sys info

I DL Angel 126 Beta as soon as it came out, so not new.

Win 98
128 Ram
56 K modem
686 X 350 CPU

No other problems with computer, with Angel open or closed.
View Public Profile Find more posts by KaliQ Add KaliQ to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Feb-2002 at 13:38)
Oh! I got a pattern. At least I think so. The banner always shows "Welcome to the age of the Mushrooms".

I use Utopia Angel v1.26 Beta

ICQ# 134310691
View Public Profile Find more posts by Mynath Add Mynath to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Feb-2002 at 20:04)
Yes, the mushrooms add seems to ring a bell. What I've been doing is closing angel, then reopening it. It seems to run fine for a while, but eventually the error pops up again.
View Public Profile Find more posts by JStasulis Add JStasulis to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Feb-2002 at 20:22)
I've also gotten this message. I'm running Windows XP and I was in the science calculator when it happened. Here's a screenshot, which I will remove after I recieve a reply to this.. my web hosting only supports 5 gigs/month of traffic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg catastrophic.jpg (64.0 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by Brother Green, 22-Feb-2002 at 22:32.
Edit reason: Sticking the screenshot to this post
View Public Profile Find more posts by Tamae Add Tamae to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Feb-2002 at 21:52)
Conclutions:

-Version of Windows is not relevant.
-The message is windows generated. My brother, running a Swedish 98SE, recieves the same message, but in Swedish.
-"Welcome to the age of the Mushrooms" is a shared link.

Is ther anyone who have gotten this message without those [curse] mushrooms?

Otherwise, that is what you should look into, BG. I do not think the problem is Angel itself, but the develish mushroom ad. Isn't thwe ads html-pages in miniformat? Then it could be something wrong in that code.

ICQ# 134310691
(22-Feb-2002 at 23:11)
I have gotten v1.26 for awhile now, but i just start getting that messsage yesterday. Even as a speak the "Unexpected Failure" message boxes are popping up every 10 seconds or so.

Also right now, I am looking at the "Welcome to the Age of the Mushroom" ad... When i put my cursor over the ad it says that i can "make the scary mushroom go away for $4."
View Public Profile Find more posts by Zebulahn Add Zebulahn to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Feb-2002 at 07:42)
ninja Unexpected Error in Version 1.26

when i have utopia angel version 1.26 beta running it gives me unexpected error messages all the time and won't stop and gives a beeping sound
View Public Profile Find more posts by soldier1 Add soldier1 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Feb-2002 at 21:16)
Catastrophic failure

I get the same error message, "Catastrophic failure". This error only started a few days ago. Once the first message box pops up, additional message boxes will keep popping every few seconds until I close Utopia Angel. Running 1.26b, which I've had for some time without this error, on WinXP. I've only seen it appear on XP, but then again, I haven't used other opperating systems as much lately. Restarting Utopia Angel fixes the problem for a while, until it happens again.
View Public Profile Find more posts by timobkg Add timobkg to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Feb-2002 at 22:40)
It appears on 98SE and 2000 too, so I do not belevie that matters. However, I am certain that angel does not generate that message. Windows or the program, likly ie, that handels the ad-showing does.

I beleive that their is something wrong with the script that runs when showing "Welcome to the age of the Mushrooms". ANd since that is a UTOPIA TEMPLE AD (!), it should be easy to fix. Just examin that code, probably cgi or pearl.

There must be some sort of engine that choses ad. In it's list over whihch to chose, get rid of mushrooms-ad, and I think the problem will disappear.

Could it be some kind of loop that overflows? On my brothers coputer, there is a certain sequence, so it could be loop-related. However, I have got the message 10/millisecond at some points, especially when moving things around (not just the banner). I can not explain that, but since I don't have the code in front of me, I could just geuss. Or, use an hex editor to see what the program does. But I do not have the knowledge that takes, and I belevie that BG will be kind and solve this fpor us.

Won't ya?

ICQ# 134310691
Administrator
(23-Feb-2002 at 23:12)

question

I don't know if it's related to the ads, since Pirate Pete got it too, and he don't have ads in his Angel...