Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Respectable General Discussions > Religious Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(30-Sep-2004 at 04:10)

question No meat....but fish?

I am a Christian, but not a catholic. I've always wondered why during lent or whatever, on fridays they can't eat meat but for some reason fish is OK. I mean, it's not plants or minerals or rocks or anything. So what is up with that, if anyone knows?

Last Member of the Church of Valek
-------------------------------------
Insert something witty here.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -John Paul Jones
View Public Profile Visit Dead Canaanite's homepage Find more posts by Dead Canaanite Add Dead Canaanite to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(30-Sep-2004 at 04:17)

Well, that would happen to be another tradition taken and adapted from Judaism to Christianity.

In Judaism, you are not allowed to eat meat and dairy products within 3 hours of each other. This is because it is like "boiling the baby in the mothers milk" which is extremely immoral and is not allowed.

Fish (and eggs) are not considered meat or dairy, and can be had with either. Since fish don't produce milk, and eggs are not yet a being, it is not immoral to have dairy with them (or meat with them).

Christianity took this, among other things (like sunday mass) from Judaism, which is it's parent religion. It adapted it to fit its needs (christianity, after all, is not judaism).

"In the end, all that is left is Change."
"That which does not embrace change will be destroyed by it"
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."
"Nothing can be derived from nothing."
""There are no atheists in foxholes" isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes." ~ James Morrow
View Public Profile Find more posts by Angels of Death Add Angels of Death to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(02-Oct-2004 at 17:59)

Re: No meat....but fish?

Quote:
(Originally posted by Dead Canaanite)

I am a Christian, but not a catholic. I've always wondered why during lent or whatever, on fridays they can't eat meat but for some reason fish is OK. I mean, it's not plants or minerals or rocks or anything. So what is up with that, if anyone knows?
A couple of sites on lent:
http://www.kencollins.com/holy-04.htm
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/09152a.htm

In the past meat has been considered a luxury, during lent which is a time of fasting and abstinance it was/is common to do without luxuries such as meat and replace it with the basics such as fish!

By Angels of Death:
Quote:
Christianity took this, among other things (like sunday mass) from Judaism,
Isn't the hebrew Sabbath on Saturday? The seventh day of the week, as when God rested when he was finished with the creation.

Work like you will live forever and live like you will die tommorrow!
View Public Profile Find more posts by PatrioticSpirit Add PatrioticSpirit to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(02-Oct-2004 at 23:12)

Thanks guys.

Last Member of the Church of Valek
-------------------------------------
Insert something witty here.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -John Paul Jones
View Public Profile Visit Dead Canaanite's homepage Find more posts by Dead Canaanite Add Dead Canaanite to your Buddy List Reply with Quote