Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Respectable General Discussions > Religious Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
Donated $50.00
(29-Feb-2004 at 03:04)

exclamation mark God plays 'Name that Object'

Quote:
Amos 7

7 Thus he shewed me: and, behold, the LORD stood upon a wall made by a plumbline, with a plumbline in his hand. 8 And the LORD said unto me, Amos, what seest thou? And I said, A plumbline. Then said the LORD, Behold, I will set a plumbline in the midst of my people Israel: I will not again pass by them any more:
For those that don't know a plumbline is a piece of string with a weight on the end - it is used to gauge depth. Now could anyone explain to me what this teaches us ?? Apart from 'if you see God standing on a nearby wall he may want to play name that object - if you are right he will remember you'

This is what every PvP argument boils down to:
Dear Devs:
Rock is overpowered, please nerf. Paper is fine.
Yours, Scissors
View Public Profile Find more posts by Grashnak Add Grashnak to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(29-Feb-2004 at 03:37)

And what are you tryin to prove here????

And in what way is this respectable???

"You spoony bard!"
View Public Profile Find more posts by TheIronMaiden Add TheIronMaiden to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $50.00
(29-Feb-2004 at 03:46)

Not trying to prove anything IronMaiden - it is just most people who do not believe in the Bible literally believe that it is a guide to life & consists of parables to teach the faithful how to live a 'good' life in the way God/Jesus wanted them to - so I was wondering what the faithful thought this passage was trying to teach us.

After all as I far as I am aware no part of the Bible is more important than any other & so all of it must be considered. I was very confused when reading this passage & was hoping for guidence from the faithful as to its deeper meaning.

This is what every PvP argument boils down to:
Dear Devs:
Rock is overpowered, please nerf. Paper is fine.
Yours, Scissors
View Public Profile Find more posts by Grashnak Add Grashnak to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(29-Feb-2004 at 11:40)

if i remember correctly, God referred to the people of northern Israel, a very prosperous city, a "wall" that is "out of line." you could see the wall as the walls of the city, a city that should not be there if they continue with their unjust ways, because that is why amos was preaching there in the first place: to convince the people to change their evil ways. He's holding the plumbline maybe to show amos that He knows what these people are doing (that is against His will), He can "measure them up" and if they don't measure up to His standards, they will surely be punished, supposedly, at the end of all things.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Aletheia Add Aletheia to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Black Fighter)
(04-Mar-2004 at 21:33)

careless

I think the game He and the Devil played with Job was way more fun...
View Public Profile Visit Apeiron's homepage Find more posts by Apeiron Add Apeiron to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(04-Mar-2004 at 23:12)

Plumbline

Are you sure that a plumbline was only used to measure depth? Have you ever heard the expression "plumb worn out"? Have you ever heard of pieces of wood or metal being made plumb in reference to another piece of wood or metal?

If memory serves a plumb line (which is a string with a weight on the end) was not (only --it could very possibly be a use of which I do not know) for measuring depth, but for judging straightness. A wall would be built using a plumbline to ensure that it was built straight up so that it would have the best structural integrity.
The application of this would be that man has God's standard up to which to live. In the past God had corrected Israel through various means, but this is His declaration that Israel should now know the standard to which they're expected to live.

doulos tou theou
View Public Profile Visit Zap Rowsdower's homepage Find more posts by Zap Rowsdower Add Zap Rowsdower to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as DoorKnob)
(User is Banned)
(09-Mar-2004 at 21:20)

i honestly believe that all the Bible is REALLY trying to do, is teach humanity a sense of humour!
well...thats just my view. i'll find out if i'm right or not when i die!

Dismal dreams are my reality
View Public Profile Find more posts by dismal Add dismal to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(09-Mar-2004 at 23:19)
Quote:
(Originally posted by DoorKnob)
i honestly believe that all the Bible is REALLY trying to do, is teach humanity a sense of humour!
well...thats just my view. i'll find out if i'm right or not when i die!
Any God that created the platypus just has to have a good sense of humor!
View Public Profile Find more posts by Bernel Add Bernel to your Buddy List Reply with Quote