Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Respectable General Discussions > Religious Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
Old HWG
(Posted as HereWeGo)
(10-Mar-2004 at 11:54)

30000 years till now

I'm not sure how to start this. However, from what I can tell, our species of "man" has flourished during the last 30000 years of history. Todays religions are an incredibly young incorporation of our history.

Now, from what I know, religious teachings tell us that our "people" had to mature during time before said religions could be born..... cannot remember the exact quote.. but using the example of the Christian bible (and forgive me... but, this is what I am familiar with... I'm only assuming that other religions have incorporated such thought)... Humans in the contexts of that time could deal with "a certain element" of Gods plans and knowledge.

This strikes me as a bit odd.... I would love to elaborate... but it just seems "odd" and that's about as far as I can stipulate what I think.

I would however like to hear further opinions from those that are of a religious/scientific mind.

Thanks.

SF, I love you I do!
Everytime someone gets warned, Starfriend cuddles a kitten. -V-
There is no place like home, there is no place like home, there is no place like home: AASQGASA
View Public Profile Find more posts by HWG Add HWG to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Black Fighter)
(10-Mar-2004 at 16:17)

My opinion, based on science;

Evolution has been going on for billions of years, and in the last tens of millions years it formed our current species.
Mankind is quite young compared to all this, but religion is a whole lot younger.

There are many reasons for religion, such as fear and the inability to understand natural forces - or even the appearance of advanced technology (i.e. Ancient Astronauts) - certain is that the Neanderthalensis already had burial rites and thus a sort of religion / believe in afterlife (this is about 50.000 years ago).

Religions like Christianity and Judaism are only a few thousand years old.

I recommend the book "History of God" (or something, dunno the English title for sure) by Karen Armstrong - it shows really well how ancient religions involved into the current monotheistic biggies (Judaism, Christianity, Islam). It does focus way more on the events from then on though, but it's still interesting to learn that Jahweh was a small wargod of a tribe.

Anyway, mankind and evolution are a whole lot older than religion and religious believes have changed quite a bit over time - religion is nonsense.
View Public Profile Visit Apeiron's homepage Find more posts by Apeiron Add Apeiron to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(10-Mar-2004 at 17:16)
Quote:
(Originally posted by Black Fighter)
Evolution has been going on for billions of years, and in the last tens of millions years it formed our current species.
Mankind is quite young compared to all this, but religion is a whole lot younger.
Elephants show their respect to the bones of their dead relatives. (Or at least they do something with them). Is this an early protoreligion? Who knows? Elephants may be smart, but we can't talk to them and ask, but religion in some form may be older than humanity.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Bernel Add Bernel to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(10-Mar-2004 at 21:07)

Organized Religion started with the first human, was passed down verbally for thousands of years before being written down. This is evidenced by figurines created by some of the earliest humans before the advent of writing.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Royal Assassin3 Add Royal Assassin3 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(17-Mar-2004 at 05:41)

Religion is in many ways used to protect someone, it makes them feel safer because they think they know that they have somewhere to go with all their loved ones after they die. This is young.
I think it did start with the first human, but not how you said it RA3 it has changed, the religions we have now are young in comprasion to the entireity of human history

Please come and visit my Homepage
The Eternally Mourning Phoenix
Avid Shakepeare Fan
Participant in Bringing fine Babes to UT..Here
View Public Profile Find more posts by ShadowPhoenix Add ShadowPhoenix to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Mar-2004 at 18:20)
Religion's function is to answer the following questions:
1. Are we alone?
2. Why?

For some reason, we've always been asking ourselves these questions and EVERY form of religion has tried to answer them.

To those of u who think religion is nonsense, got some braking news - it's the ONLY thing that keeps us going.

We need smth to believe in - religions provide that.
Whether u believe in god, allah, buddha or SCIENCE it's the same thing.
Yes, science can be considered a religion - it tries to answer the same questions as every other religion.The fact that it needs evidence( thou many theories accepted by most scientists need a lot more "proving") is irrelevant.

Religion has been and will be around as long as we exist simply because no matter how many things u find out - u can still wonder "why?"
View Public Profile Find more posts by Downwithgravity Add Downwithgravity to your Buddy List Reply with Quote