Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > Utopia Discussions > Utopia Suggestions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(15-Mar-2002 at 05:09)
lightbulb [Cosmetic] Change the way honor titles work...

I'd like to start by saying that this isn't my idea. It was posted a while back on B&S, but I can't remember who by, and it hasn't resurfaced. So I thought I'd suggest it here, where at least it will have a greater life expectancy.

It's mainly a cosmetic change, but it does have some slight game play implications. The basic idea is this...
  • You progress through the honor titles same as now.
  • However, when your honor drops back into a lower bracket, you don't return to the previous title.
  • Instead , you receive the title of Fallen [Highest_Rank]
  • Replace the title Peasant with title Squire.

This will allow people to see at a glance what rank you achieved, while still being able to know that you aren't at that rank currently.

Potential Problems:
  • Some people expressed problems with being known as a "Fallen Lady".
  • Concerns that honour hunters wouldn't know who currently had high honour.

Thoughts? Ideas? Comments?
View Public Profile Find more posts by jehuab Add jehuab to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(15-Mar-2002 at 05:27)

Pretty cool I like the idea

But we need to be fair to those that want to honor hunt there should be a way to tell how many lvls a person has fallen.

I'm going to use someone at prince and what they would get as they fell down

Prince
Fallen Prince (duke)
Unworthy Prince (Marquis)
Unreliable Prince (Count)
Degraded Prince (Viscount)
Ruined Prince (baron)
Worthless Prince (lord)
Defunct Prince (sir)
Overthrown Prince (squire/peasent)

these don't have to be the actual names i just came up with some quick names to show it visually
View Public Profile Find more posts by CyanBloodbane Add CyanBloodbane to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(15-Mar-2002 at 09:45)
sad Fallen Scale...

I thought of having something like that originally... And I think someone actually may have mentioned it later on in the B&S thread... But I really wasn't sure it was needed.

It just seems like a lot of extra work and complication for little gain. Plus, I must admit that I'm not really that cut up about the thought of honor hunters not knowing exactly what honor bracket people are in (in fact I look at it as a sort of bonus side point to the idea).

It's certainly doable... But coming up with the sliding scale of up to 8 extra title prefixes is a daunting task in and of itself. Especially if you want them to sound good!
View Public Profile Find more posts by jehuab Add jehuab to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(15-Mar-2002 at 19:40)

Well i look at it this way a province looks at you and sees your a Fallen Baron. he has no idea how far so he takes his chances assuming you have only fallen 1 level. In reality several people have done this and you are currently a squire and you still have people trying to honor rape you. That is more the reason i thought of than that of helping honor rapers.

I realized something too. there should not be a fallen label for going from Sir to Squire that should still happen as normal. Cuase The Wise Fallen Sir Bob. just doesn't sound good.

Anyway you probably only need about 5-6 good ones becuase how many people that you know that get up to high honor levels fall all the way back to squire/peasent?

heres a quick list of the titles using the order i posted before

Lord, Fallen Lord, Unworthy Lord
Baron, Fallen Baron, Unworthy Baron, Unreliable Baron
Viscount, Fallen Viscount, Unworthy Viscount, Unreliable Viscount, Dregraded Viscount
Count, Fallen Count, Unworthy Count, Unreliable Count, Dregraded Count, Ruined Count
Marquis, Fallen Marquis, Unworthy Marquis, Unreliable Marquis, Dregraded Marquis, Ruined Marquis, Worthless Marquis
Duke, Fallen Duke, Unworthy Duke, Unreliable Duke, Dregraded Duke, Ruined Duke, Worthless Duke, Defunct Duke

The list for prince is in the previous post. Finding words was a little challanging especially to try to avoid words like Wretched which is already in the messaging system and would look funny. IE to The Wretched Wise Wretched Baron bob
or The Wretched Wretched Bob The Warrior.
View Public Profile Find more posts by CyanBloodbane Add CyanBloodbane to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(17-Mar-2002 at 09:28)
lightbulb Honors can be set in a 2nd way.

I think many provinces will see a different way in gaining honor, also losing honors. Many provinces work hard to achive a high status amongst others...
This must be encouraged...but can also be done in a different way in how to define honor.

We have in Utopia three different ways to achieve honors.
Attacking, thievery or cast spells.

The honor ladder can be the same, but the points are different.
It a relative figure based on the work you do and the action you recieve from others.

How to gain honor:
As with all provinces you should be ranked in the way a province is put together by its personality choice. An attacker fights, thus have difficult to protect themself from thievery and magic. It should be the personality that gives a province its source of honor, not as before.

The attacker recieves honor primary from attacks.
Thieves recieve honor primary from Ops.
Mages likewise, but in magic...

How to loose honor:
An attacker know they are target of thievery, but it doesent mean they aren't honorless being affected by thievery. Likewise for thieves. They know already they can't fight and are poor mages.
As with gaining honor you should loose some.

If an attacker is raped by another attacker, they will loose much of the honor/ranks they worked for.
Thieves will loose the same amount, if they are
targeted by thieves.
Mages vs mages, etc...

Honor should be a result in how good you are in your field of study, not an old based point-system that's out of date...

However provinces will loose honorpoints in the similar way as will all actions between provinces, but in smaller amounts.
They will loose/gain more ranks if they are target or is target from other in the same fields of study(A/T/M).

How to define a field of study?;
Well, here's the hard part.
Where shall we put explorers and supporters?
There are players which don't do anything else but support other provinces. They play just to have fun and be social.
They should be ranked as with all other players do.
I think we must define the personality as in which field of study they direct their strength in.

It might be good to also have in mind the choice of race.
Perhaps a defenition will be based like this;

Race bonuses:
Halfling: Basicly thief (*2 in thievery)
Elf: Basicly a mage (*2 in magic)
Dwarf: Basicly a fighter (*2 in attacks)
Orcs: Specialized fighter (*3 in attacks, *0.25 in T+M)
Humans: Neutral race (*1 personality bonuses)
Avians: Outsider race (*1.5 in attacks, *0.5 in T+M)
Undead: Lost race bonuses....*0.1 in all fields..

Personality bonuses:
The Merchant: + 10% for send packets, -20% from thief-ops.
The Shepherd: + 20% for send packets, -10% from thief-ops.
The Sage: +20% gain lands, -20% loose Lands
The Rogue: +20% thief-Ops, -20% from thief-ops.
The Mystic: +20% from spells cast, -20% spells recived.
The War Hero: +20% by attacks made, -20% attacks suffered.
The Warrior: +10% attacks made, -10% attacks suffered.
The General: +5% in all attacks, -5% attacks suffered.
The Freak: +/- 5% in all actions..random number...

All actions made/taken have a certain base value...(+/-100points).
Provinces can only recieve/loose a limited number of honor/Utopian day.(max 100points)
The numbers above are an example of things you can get with certain personalities.
Bonuses(honor) are applied in combo of actions made;
A thief will gain more honor by stealing from thieves and so on...
The multiplier of the honorgain is based on what kind of race you choose.
You always recive a basic honorgain/loss from actions made, but in smaller amount.
If doing multiple actions on a province, you wont recieve more honor as if you did with only a few attacks/ops/spells.
Only effects from them is there....

This way provinces will have their status intact and good players will recieve their proper status in Utopia.
GB will be less interresting with this system...
View Public Profile Find more posts by Gorf Add Gorf to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(18-Mar-2002 at 08:40)

Quite rude, Gorf.

ok first off your post has nothing to do with the cosmetic change proposed. You are proposing a whole new honor system, thats a major gameplay change.
second it is complelty rude to post completly differnt ideas in someone elses thread that has not real connection or construction on the original idea
(18-Mar-2002 at 09:07)
I agree... Please start up a new thread next time. This is about a fairly minor (read could posibly get implemented) cosmetic change, not a complete re-building of the honour system.
(18-Mar-2002 at 09:12)
Honor Target?

Quote:
Well i look at it this way a province looks at you and sees your a Fallen Baron. he has no idea how far so he takes his chances assuming you have only fallen 1 level. In reality several people have done this and you are currently a squire and you still have people trying to honor rape you.
Yeah I guess it could happen that way... If they are serious about getting honour though, they will quickly realise that they aren't getting the returns they would expect and move on.

I'm certainly open to suggestion on a sliding scale... I just didn't realy want to complicate the idea.
(18-Mar-2002 at 09:38)

Yes they would realize after a few ops. but those few ops will add up quickly especailly when you have little honor to begin with. and the Higher your title was before you fell the more people that will probe you to see if you still have honor.