Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Respectable General Discussions > Religious Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(Posted as derskine)
(30-Oct-2003 at 04:53)

Hatefull thread?

Quote:
(Originally posted by Sygnal)

Well, I personally have donated blood on a great many times, I've helped feed the homeless in a soup kitchen, tonight for instance I'm going to go help out the boys and girls club. I'm Athiest, and I've done plenty.

I like to think of it more as which side has contributed more harm? Athiests haven't done that many harmful things in history, whereas christians and various christian organizations have done plleeeeenty.

Normally, I defend Christians in their choice, but if you're going to spout hateful garbage like this thread, I will have no choice but to defend the Athiests.
Dear Blessed Global Moderator: How exactly was my question hatefull?
View Public Profile Find more posts by PatrioticSpirit Add PatrioticSpirit to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as derskine)
(30-Oct-2003 at 05:06)

I sincerely hope there are more atheist willing to post in this thread. (on subject please) To those who have made an sincere posting I thank you.

Last edited by PatrioticSpirit, 30-Oct-2003 at 05:07.
View Public Profile Find more posts by PatrioticSpirit Add PatrioticSpirit to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(30-Oct-2003 at 05:52)

Eh.....To answer your question, Derskine, yes, I think they have.

Belief, "faith" if you will, is pointless unless founded by fact, and once founded by fact no longer becomes belief. - Lunar2
I'm not a hero, I'm not a saviour - Forget what you know - I'm just a man whose circustances went beyond his control.
Welcome to Tycho-Magnetic Anamoly One.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Nazka Add Nazka to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(User is Banned)
(30-Oct-2003 at 06:18)

I still don't get the hateful part of the post or how it's implied in any way.

I believe his question was and I quote.

Quote:
To what extent have Atheist contributed to society?
In response we recieve 50%

You're a stupid Christian, and I hate you.

we recieve 50%

Religion causes alot of harm

and the miraculous 50%

Atheists do stuff.

Can you guess which 50% actually answered the question instead of being an asshole?

(50% is allowed via overlapping ideas in posts, so I'm not a moron)

Really, you don't have to get your panties in a wad everytime someone asks you what you do that's good.

Heres one.

Hey Christians. When did you last stop a war?

To which we get

50%
(never, haha!11! Dumbasses)

50%
(Nonsensical answer)

50%
(Something about some war that might make sense if its posted)

If you see the light at the end of the tunnel, then you passed the test.
View Public Profile Visit Cloud Strife's homepage Find more posts by Cloud Strife Add Cloud Strife to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as RavEMasteR)
(User is Banned)
(Post has been warned)
(30-Oct-2003 at 06:30)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Ictous)

So what if we say things that offend you atheists? it's not like you have some god that will come deviler his wrath upon us. You'd have to come do something yourself and I would just kick you in hte nuts
I don't need a faggot divine being like your God to go kick your ass. My fists and mind is enough to do that.

Try me! I have Taekwondo and Taiji under my belt. Give it your best shot coz' you may not get another shot.

Religion is the mental disease of the masses.
"Once again, religion is like sniffing gasoline. Both cause permanant brain damage." -- Obsidian
View Public Profile Find more posts by dothackRAVE Add dothackRAVE to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as derskine)
(30-Oct-2003 at 06:31)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Sygnal)

The message implies that Athiests are useless and that they don't do anything remotely humanitarian. I, as well as a lot of other Athiests I imagine, would take offense from that.
No it does not! thats just your suspicious and defensive nature.
(Posted as Ascended Elan)
Donated $47.44
(30-Oct-2003 at 06:42)

Quote:
(Originally posted by derskine)

No it does not! thats just your suspicious and defensive nature.
Well, either its a stupid question, or you're questioning our fundamental morality as a whole. Actually, its both, but you may not realize it yet.

Wouldn't you be mildly vexed if someone said, "do you fucking Christians ever do ANYTHING besides conduct crusades and torture the Jews?" If, for some strange reason (brain tumor?) this DOESN'T vex you, it would most Christians.

So don't be surprised that we took your assertion (intended and believed or otherwise) that Atheists have questionable moral standards as a slightly offensive thing. Its just human nature to get a bit irritated when your ethnic/religious/etc. group is maligned.

Oh, CloudStrife, you forgot to mention the 50% of the Christians that posted that Atheists don't have a god to avenge them and they will get their asses kicked by the Christian in question. I'm kidding, of course; nobody would be so stupid as to actually SAY that.
View Public Profile Visit Elan SsM's homepage Find more posts by Elan SsM Add Elan SsM to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(30-Oct-2003 at 08:44)

Re: A question for atheist;

A more interesting question would be who has contributed more to our world as whole(in positive way).Xtians or Atheists?
View Public Profile Find more posts by DHoffryn Add DHoffryn to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Bokke)
Donated $4.04
(30-Oct-2003 at 09:18)

Quote:
Wouldn't you be mildly vexed if someone said, "do you fucking Christians ever do ANYTHING besides conduct crusades and torture the Jews?" If, for some strange reason (brain tumor?) this DOESN'T vex you, it would most Christians.
I couldn't have put it better myself mate EXACTLY what I feel like saying when Christians question other people's atheism.

And I know CS and derskine that there was nothing OPENLY hateful in the opening post, but one must admit that it is haughty and offhand in its manner. I don't personally take offense to it, but the post, to me, seems to ooze arrogance and presumption.

I have to compliment Ascended Elan once again on his VERY neat analysis

For the record, i'm so much atheist as I am agnostic...I do believe that there is some kind of guiding force, spirit, muse, inspiration, whatever, in the world, but I am of the personal belief that organised religion has caused more conflict and hatred and evil than anything else in the world...I believe organised religion is simply a vehicle for individuals (Jesus, Muhammad, take your pick) to further their own political agenda. Call me cynical, but that's just how I am; I believe in a God, but I don't believe in organised religion. Bah. End of my rant

Last edited by Lodewijk, 30-Oct-2003 at 09:28.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Happy Sid Add Happy Sid to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(30-Oct-2003 at 13:20)

Atheist, while you consider to have done nothing is false others already in this post have give persons who have contributed to history. But even if we have done nothing as you say, we have not at least caused many wars, cause many innocent deaths and such. Someone has already said that we can look to the middle east as a prime example. Now look at the world is being torn between the western world, and the eastern world also arabs.

I believe a quote i heard is good for this as i am an atheist. "Religous wars are merely groups of people fighting over who has the better imginary friend"

Please come and visit my Homepage
The Eternally Mourning Phoenix
Avid Shakepeare Fan
Participant in Bringing fine Babes to UT..Here
View Public Profile Find more posts by ShadowPhoenix Add ShadowPhoenix to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Old HWG
(Posted as herewego)
(30-Oct-2003 at 14:48)

As a point of fact, there is a group that consists mostly of athiests and agnostics... they're an international following and label them selves "Humanists"... I don't know enought about them to give a good argument... but I just wanted to squash the misunderstanding that all athiests are lonely individuals who don't interact with other like minded folk.... anyway... thought I would post the following quote:

My Belief
By Robert G. Ingersoll

"I do not believe that any man can be justly punished or rewarded on account of his belief.

But I do believe in the nobility of human nature; I believe in love and home, and kindness and humanity; I believe in good fellowship and cheerfulness, in making wife and children happy.

I believe in good nature, in giving to others all the rights that you claim for yourself.

I believe in free thought, in reason, observation and experience. I believe in self-reliance and in expressing your honest thought. I have hope for the whole human race. What will happen to one, will, I hope, happen to all, and that, I hope, will be good.

Above all, I believe in Liberty."

This may be slightly off topic... but I'm sure there is some relavance

=)

If anyone is a Humanist.... please, please, please post a new topic... as I would be facinated to learn more.
View Public Profile Find more posts by HWG Add HWG to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(30-Oct-2003 at 15:15)

In a different angle i think the reason why you think atheists dont help out much is because you don't see many of them, and if you look at a person i dont think you'd think him as an atheist, Whereas people with religion are everywhere - more populous, so you think they do lots of good things cause you see them more often, many atheists do good things as well, but they don't go "I'm a good atheist!!" or something.

"I am the panda that strikes in the night"

"But i STILL can't find a Panda Avatar.."
View Public Profile Find more posts by Sir Panda Add Sir Panda to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Old HWG
(Posted as herewego)
(30-Oct-2003 at 15:30)

As a point of fact, there is a group that consists mostly of athiests and agnostics... they're an international following and label them selves "Humanists"... I don't know enought about them to give a good argument... but I just wanted to squash the misunderstanding that all athiests are lonely individuals who don't interact with other like minded folk.... anyway... thought I would post the following quote:

My Belief
By Robert G. Ingersoll

"I do not believe that any man can be justly punished or rewarded on account of his belief.

But I do believe in the nobility of human nature; I believe in love and home, and kindness and humanity; I believe in good fellowship and cheerfulness, in making wife and children happy.

I believe in good nature, in giving to others all the rights that you claim for yourself.

I believe in free thought, in reason, observation and experience. I believe in self-reliance and in expressing your honest thought. I have hope for the whole human race. What will happen to one, will, I hope, happen to all, and that, I hope, will be good.

Above all, I believe in Liberty."

This may be slightly off topic... but I'm sure there is some relavance

=)

If anyone is a Humanist.... please, please, please post a new topic... as I would be facinated to learn more.
View Public Profile Find more posts by HWG Add HWG to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as derskine)
(30-Oct-2003 at 15:35)

Thank You!

After thirty posts in this thread, someone has made an attempt to respond to my original question.
Thank you herewego;
I fully realized before this post that some atheist (as all members of society) donate to charitable causes in their community as individuals, they donate blood and volunteer their time.
I expected some to be offended by this question and to become defensive, just due to the fact that I made the religous organizations reference in my post as an example. (some took it as a comparison which it was not intended as such)
I will not further respond to those who "read into my post". But if you were truly offended by my question, I apologize! My question still stands.
Are there organizations that have been started by atheist for the betterment mankind?
(Posted as grashnak)
Donated $50.00
(30-Oct-2003 at 15:41)

Re: Thank You!

Quote:

My question still stands.
Are there organizations that have been started by atheist for the betterment mankind?
Almost certainly - problem is that at least here in England most institutions & founders of institutions do not label their religous preference. I'm sure hospitals, womens refuge's, charities e.t.c have been set up by athiests - but there is no means to show/prove it without develing into the background of the founders - who probably don't state their religion anyway.

This is what every PvP argument boils down to:
Dear Devs:
Rock is overpowered, please nerf. Paper is fine.
Yours, Scissors
View Public Profile Find more posts by Grashnak Add Grashnak to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(30-Oct-2003 at 16:30)
Re: Thank You!

Quote:
There are few strictly atheist organizations of any kind. Atheists don't have an organised "religion" with a pope and preachers, and thus there is no base for forming strictly atheist organizations. An atheist who want to help can either form or join any of the many secular organizations that exist Amnesty, WWF etc, or he may even contribute to a religious organization. We have no first commandment that forbids any support to religious organizations, and why would you form an strictly atheist organization to try to keep religious people out if your goal is to help as many as possible?

Add that during most of history it has been illegal or at least highly suspect to be an atheist so even those who didn't believe in any god had to pretend to.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Bernel Add Bernel to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(30-Oct-2003 at 18:31)

Re: A question for atheist;

Quote:

A question for atheist;
To what extent have atheist contributed to society?
Throughout our history religious groups have set up organizations for the betterment of mankind; Hospitals, for the sick and infirm, soup kitchens and shelters, for the homeless, treatment centers for the alcohol and drug addicted.
Have atheist done the same?
well Slavery was abolished (at least in France I don't know for the other countries) by atheists.
Henry Dusnant (the guy who made the red cross) was also atheist.
Hypocrates who invented medicine and asked for those who'll follow to always help those who are in need.

Hospitals are build by engineers who are, most of the time, atheists.

And you can have a religion AND being an atheist (my case and th the one of 2 billions people in this planet)

Gandhi was an atheist.

When your girlfriend dumps you on your birthday after you failed the hardest class, lost your wallet and broke your knees, have a Beer.
When you're chassed by a tax colletor, 5 wolves in a burning forest while being forced to listen to all of B. Spears' CDs, have a Beer.

And if beer fails, do some maths
View Public Profile Visit Helvetie's homepage Find more posts by Helvetie Add Helvetie to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $32.64
(30-Oct-2003 at 21:49)

dershire~ from your posts, i need to ask you: Why do you think that atheists wouldn't be humanitarian people?

After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one

The only reason we die, is because we accept it as an inevitability
View Public Profile Find more posts by Phased Add Phased to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $32.64
(30-Oct-2003 at 22:13)

And just so you know, a short list of humanitarian atheists, or organizations founded by them include:

Live Aid (or Band Aid)
Bihar Rationalist Society, part of IHEU

Henry Morgentaler-Humanist of the Year 1975
Ted Turner- Humanist of the Year 1989
Kurt Vonnegut Jr - Humanist of the Year 1992

After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one

The only reason we die, is because we accept it as an inevitability
View Public Profile Find more posts by Phased Add Phased to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as derskine)
(31-Oct-2003 at 05:05)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Phased)

dershire~ from your posts, i need to ask you: Why do you think that atheists wouldn't be humanitarian people?
I do think there are atheists that are humanitarians; I have said so in my previous post.