Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Respectable General Discussions > Religious Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(10-Sep-2004 at 11:56)

Learn a litle about Taoism

Not everything is black and white... there is a religion which doesn't have a god, which do not have a dogma and which does not try to divide the world into "evil" andd "good".

This religion never killed, so I decided to let you know about this religion.

I do not want to convince you but just to inform you.

HISTORY
Tao can be roughly translated into English as path, or the way. It is basically indefinable. It has to be experienced. It "refers to a power which envelops, surrounds and flows through all things, living and non-living. The Tao regulates natural processes and nourishes balance in the Universe. It embodies the harmony of opposites (i.e. there would be no love without hate, no light without dark, no male without female.)" 2

There are many legends about Lao Tzeu (believed to live in the VIth century BC), the founder of Taoism and to be a contemporary of Confucius.
He was searching for a way that would avoid the constant feudal warfare and other conflicts that disrupted society during his lifetime. The result was his book: Tao-te-King Others believe that he is a mythical character.

Taoism started as a combination of psychology and philosophy but evolved into a religious faith in 440 CE when it was adopted as a state religion. At that time Lao-Tse became popularly venerated as a deity. Taoism, along with Buddhism and Confucianism, became one of the three great religions of China. With the end of the Ch'ing Dynasty in 1911, state support for Taoism ended. Much of the Taoist heritage was destroyed during the next period of warlordism. After the Communist victory in 1949, religious freedom was severely restricted. "The new government put monks to manual labor, confiscated temples, and plundered treasures. Several million monks were reduced to fewer than 50,000" by 1960. 3 During the cultural revolution in China from 1966 to 1976, much of the remaining Taoist heritage was destroyed. Some religious tolerance has been restored under Deng Xiao-ping from 1982 to the present time.

Taoist Beliefs and Practices:
Taoism has provided an alternative to the Confucian tradition in China. The two traditions have coexisted in the country, region and generally within the same individual.
Tao is the first-cause of the universe. It is a force that flows through all life.
The Tao surrounds everyone and therefore everyone must listen to find enlightenment.
Each believer's goal is to become one with the Tao.
They do not pray as Christians do; there is no God to hear the prayers or to act upon them. They seek answers to life's problems through inner meditation and outer observation.
Time is cyclical, not linear as in Western thinking.
Taoists generally have an interest in promoting health and vitality.
Development of virtue is one's chief task. The Three Jewels to be sought are compassion, moderation and humility.
Taoists follow the art of "wu wei," which is to let nature take its course. For example, one should allow a river to flow towards the sea unimpeded; do not erect a dam which would interfere with its natural flow.
One should plan in advance and consider carefully each action before making it.
A Taoists is kind to other individuals, largely because such an action tends to be reciprocated.
Taoists believe that "people are compassionate by nature...left to their own devices [they] will show this compassion without expecting a reward."

When your girlfriend dumps you on your birthday after you failed the hardest class, lost your wallet and broke your knees, have a Beer.
When you're chassed by a tax colletor, 5 wolves in a burning forest while being forced to listen to all of B. Spears' CDs, have a Beer.

And if beer fails, do some maths
View Public Profile Visit Helvetie's homepage Find more posts by Helvetie Add Helvetie to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
Research Group
Donated $0.60
(10-Sep-2004 at 22:40)

It sounds all nice and peaceful thing. Maybe world would be better place if peoples would use that.

Now my opinion. It seems nice and fine. Yet peoples have been warned to fall for this. Taoism doesn't accept or acknowledge Christ's sacrfice on cross. That is enough me not to go further. (Judaism is different because God made them HIS peoples. I will not fight against God nor his will nor against his peoples )

This is my opinion: Taoism is one devils tricks, witch are many to lure human beings away from God and the truth. Peoples are ready to gamble their immortal souls in exchange of this?

God created man and gave him free will. I will respect that. I have warned you officially. Choice is yours. My heart warns this, but its only mine. We who belive Christ and God, serve God who'se existence has been worshipped over 6,000 years. More than anyother religion. Non-stop. There is power in God's word. for six millenias, that is proof for me that I know God exists, because no religion without truth cannot survive over 6,000 years...

Ok, I end here. Sorry for my intolerance here. I truely apologize it. I just don't think Taoism isn't the answer. My opinion only, if you feel differently, you have your right to do. I will not post more to this thread due I will not want to insult peoples more. I have told the truth here and lighten my point of view, witch is enough.

All men are free to choose how they wish. God respects that, so should we humans. I still want to apologize for peoples I have insukted with this. But its my opinion.

Generalization is rhetorics of simpletons.
"Sages learn from history... idiots learn from experience" -Fairy Tail manga
View Public Profile Find more posts by Lord Menchalior Add Lord Menchalior to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(10-Sep-2004 at 23:23)

Thought that was Daoism.

Mars II - American Scientist
PhD - Physical Chemistry
View Public Profile Find more posts by Mars II Add Mars II to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Obi2Kenobi)
Donated $1.28
(11-Sep-2004 at 00:57)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Mars II)

Thought that was Daoism.
It's pronounced similar to that.

"If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and if it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
~Alexandr Solzhenitsyn
View Public Profile Visit obi2kenobi's homepage Find more posts by obi2kenobi Add obi2kenobi to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(11-Sep-2004 at 14:21)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Lord Menchalior)

It sounds all nice and peaceful thing. Maybe world would be better place if peoples would use that.

Now my opinion. It seems nice and fine. Yet peoples have been warned to fall for this. Taoism doesn't accept or acknowledge Christ's sacrfice on cross. That is enough me not to go further. (Judaism is different because God made them HIS peoples. I will not fight against God nor his will nor against his peoples )

This is my opinion: Taoism is one devils tricks, witch are many to lure human beings away from God and the truth. Peoples are ready to gamble their immortal souls in exchange of this?

God created man and gave him free will. I will respect that. I have warned you officially. Choice is yours. My heart warns this, but its only mine. We who belive Christ and God, serve God who'se existence has been worshipped over 6,000 years. More than anyother religion. Non-stop. There is power in God's word. for six millenias, that is proof for me that I know God exists, because no religion without truth cannot survive over 6,000 years...

Ok, I end here. Sorry for my intolerance here. I truely apologize it. I just don't think Taoism isn't the answer. My opinion only, if you feel differently, you have your right to do. I will not post more to this thread due I will not want to insult peoples more. I have told the truth here and lighten my point of view, witch is enough.

All men are free to choose how they wish. God respects that, so should we humans. I still want to apologize for peoples I have insukted with this. But its my opinion.
your 6000 number is a little of Abraham was believed to live around 2000 BC

and Christianity is not a religion of tolerance, THEY BURNT THE LIBRARY OF ALEXANDRIA.

we lost EUCLYDE'S 14TH BOOK because of those barbarians, that is why I can't be a christian, plus taoism doesn't try to convert people so it is a not well known religion and I wanted to share it with other people.

If you question, instead of accusation, I will answer them.

When your girlfriend dumps you on your birthday after you failed the hardest class, lost your wallet and broke your knees, have a Beer.
When you're chassed by a tax colletor, 5 wolves in a burning forest while being forced to listen to all of B. Spears' CDs, have a Beer.

And if beer fails, do some maths
View Public Profile Visit Helvetie's homepage Find more posts by Helvetie Add Helvetie to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
Research Group
Donated $0.60
(11-Sep-2004 at 17:39)

Not believed. God we belive has been believed by Jewish even before they were slaves in egypt. Before Moses and all. Nobody knows true origins of the faith, but its more than 6,000 years old. Its just called God of Abraham in text.

Peoples do a lot bad things. You cannot blaim religion nor God that men use religion as for their own purpose.

Now Rome was destroyed barbarians and vikins raided several towns and monastries during 1000th centery. Do you blaim God Odin for their action? or maybe Fyr? If Taoism would be one of the great religion, I think peoples would accuse TAOIST also force conversions, convert or die. That is peoples mistake. You cannot blaim entire system and mass of peoples just actions of few zealots...

No religion is particularly tolerant. Peoples are. As far I know, Taoism is not a religion, its more of the philosophy of life or way to live... More than a Religion. Since it do not worship God, its not religion.

View Public Profile Find more posts by Lord Menchalior Add Lord Menchalior to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Obi2Kenobi)
Donated $1.28
(11-Sep-2004 at 20:36)

Quote:

If Taoism would be one of the great religion, I think peoples would accuse TAOIST also force conversions, convert or die. That is peoples mistake. You cannot blaim entire system and mass of peoples just actions of few zealots...
Actually, I don't think you are even allowed to try and convert people, you can just tell them about it and let them decide. But that could just be Buddhism...

Quote:
As far I know, Taoism is not a religion, its more of the philosophy of life or way to live... More than a Religion. Since it do not worship God, its not religion.
Would you say the same about polythestic religions? How about religions that acknoledge the existance of a god or gods, but don't worship them?

"If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and if it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
~Alexandr Solzhenitsyn
View Public Profile Visit obi2kenobi's homepage Find more posts by obi2kenobi Add obi2kenobi to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(11-Sep-2004 at 20:45)

Menchalior, Taoism used to be a dominant religion in China, and even at the height of Taoism's power, it's followers didn't commit violence in it's name. Such a concept runs directly against the very principals of Taoism.

I like the virtues that Taoism teaches, but I don't particularly like the mystical view of the universe of Taoism.

Sygnalor the Accountinator
Able to file 1040's faster than a speeding bullet
View Public Profile Find more posts by Sygnal Add Sygnal to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
Research Group
Donated $0.60
(11-Sep-2004 at 21:17)

Ah, intrestings... Thank you Sygnal, I the history of Taoism wasn't clear to me. I thank you for clearing up.

But Humility, Compassion and love are virtues what Taoist use are also corner stones early Christianity.

I live by teachings of Christ and belive in God. Word's and taughtings of Christ are my guide.

Christ asks peoples to be humble, because humility combined faith will lead to you God, but faith makes peoples blind unless they are humble. Compassion towards fellow man is corner stones. Love is the center of Christ's taughtings. Love those who you love, love those who hate you and pray for those who want to harm you.

Not easy, but well worth of trying. Christianity has been changed a lot. I guess my christianity is more the original Rome time christianity, or that is my goal.

Sorry to turn this Christianity vs. Taoist thread. I shut up now. You're welcome to continue about Taoism Helvetie.

Donated $9.31
(11-Sep-2004 at 21:26)

Quote:
Now Rome was destroyed barbarians and vikins raided several towns and monastries during 1000th centery. Do you blaim God Odin for their action? or maybe Fyr? If Taoism would be one of the great religion, I think peoples would accuse TAOIST also force conversions, convert or die. That is peoples mistake. You cannot blaim entire system and mass of peoples just actions of few zealots...
That Viking example is actually a very good one, but not for proving your point. The Vikings believed that their Gods wanted them to be war-like and pillage/plunder, it was expected of them. They didn't use the religion to do it, they did it FOR the religion.

Very likely, that's what happened during the Crusades and other Christian wars. They felt compelled by their religion to slay/convert the infidels. So it IS the religion itself's fault. They didn't just take these ideas out of notwhere.

My MSN is still [email protected].
My Skype is kapteindynetrekk
View Public Profile Find more posts by Nimon Add Nimon to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
Research Group
Donated $0.60
(11-Sep-2004 at 21:30)

About Crusades, its been proved that religion had nothing to do with religion. Religion was excuse to cover up Pope what-his-name-was-again? and King of French more earthly desires.

Religion was excuse in 1st Crusade and Rest Crusades were responsible for Arab counter action towards Christians.

But Nimon, how does that goes Taoism?
Can you teach me something of Taoism? Was Taoism actually reason for Crusades, what?

(13-Sep-2004 at 16:08)

tao never killed anyone? the art of war is a treatise written by a taoist general, how the taoist general should wage a war.

otehrwise well written article. been practising for 10 years now.

if you can't read my post then don't.
View Public Profile Find more posts by treemonster Add treemonster to your Buddy List Reply with Quote