Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Media Mania > TV Shows Reviews and Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.75 average
(Posted as Starfriend)
Global Moderator
Donated $27.58
(20-Dec-2006 at 02:48)

[1997] Stargate SG-1

Genre: Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi

Plot: This sequel to the 1994 movie Stargate chronicles the further adventures of SGC (Stargate Command). It turned out that the Goa'uld Ra was only one of many alien System Lords who used the Stargates to conquer much of the universe. When Earth uncovers a working cartouche to decipher the coding system of Earth's stargate, they can now travel anywhere. Earth's military sends out SG teams to explore new planets, find technology, and oppose the Goa'uld.

Actors:
Christopher Judge .... Teal'c (212 episodes, 1997-2007)
Amanda Tapping .... Lt. Col. Samantha Carter / ... (207 episodes, 1997-2007)
Michael Shanks .... Dr. Daniel Jackson / ... (194 episodes, 1997-2007)
Richard Dean Anderson .... Brigadier General / ... (175 episodes, 1997-2007)
Don S. Davis .... Lieutenant General George Hammond / ... (161 episodes, 1997-2006)
Gary Jones .... Sgt. Walter Harriman / ... (104 episodes, 1997-2007)

TV.com link:
http://www.tv.com/stargate-sg-1/show/185/summary.html

IMDB link:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118480/
View Public Profile Find more posts by Konc Add Konc to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Dec-2006 at 05:58)

This is a great show with great character development. To fully understand everything I think you need to watch all the episodes in order or you'll miss out on some of the humour and more subtle stuff.

5/5

If life gets rough beat it with a stick.
Join #bar, commies aren't welcome.
Join #mafiagame, for the greatest mafia experience on IRC!
View Public Profile Find more posts by VantagePoint Add VantagePoint to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Jarlaxle Baenre)
(23-Dec-2006 at 09:12)

Longest series I follow, save ER. In short, teh awesome.

Seconding the watch in chronological order, especially in the last few seasons. The story has really unfolded.

Rumours of my demise are greatly exaggerated
Do the impossible
See the invisible
ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER
View Public Profile Visit Eltargrim's homepage Find more posts by Eltargrim Add Eltargrim to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Research Group
Donated $112.99
(23-Dec-2006 at 09:13)

I haven't followed the series enough to get a clear grasp on what is going on, but from episode-to-episode, I think it's pretty decent.
View Public Profile Find more posts by advocatus Add advocatus to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Dec-2006 at 09:13)

I like this show, but it has some annoying tendancies. I don't like how you can't miss any of the episode, or you will miss out on big things. I would say 8/10

I am the darkness in your life, I am the light
I am the end of your tunnel, I am the beginning of your future
I am the end, your end. I am the path to your salvation.

Your bane, or your hope. You decide.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Brightbane Add Brightbane to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Dec-2006 at 09:15)

Re: [1997] Stargate SG-1

Originally Posted by Brightbane: View Post
I like this show, but it has some annoying tendancies. I don't like how you can't miss any of the episode, or you will miss out on big things. I would say 8/10
This has really only come out within the last 3, maybe 4 seasons. A lot more stand-alone episodes prior to that. Even now, some episodes are fairly disconnected from the plot. However, they do provide good context which may be useful later.

Do the impossible
See the invisible
ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER
View Public Profile Visit Eltargrim's homepage Find more posts by Eltargrim Add Eltargrim to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Research Group
Donated $112.99
(23-Dec-2006 at 09:18)

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle Baenre: View Post
This has really only come out within the last 3, maybe 4 seasons. A lot more stand-alone episodes prior to that. Even now, some episodes are fairly disconnected from the plot. However, they do provide good context which may be useful later.
The two episodes I've seen is when they get trapped in, I think, Egypt. They end up sending a recording to themselves in the future, when the whole Stargat thing never happened. Interesting; temporal paradoxes and that kind of stuff is very welcomed in Star Trek series.

The other episode is when the captain, guy..., is able to control some ship with his mind ... ring any bells?
View Public Profile Find more posts by advocatus Add advocatus to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Dec-2006 at 09:24)

Originally Posted by advocatus: View Post
The two episodes I've seen is when they get trapped in, I think, Egypt. They end up sending a recording to themselves in the future, when the whole Stargat thing never happened. Interesting; temporal paradoxes and that kind of stuff is very welcomed in Star Trek series.

The other episode is when the captain, guy..., is able to control some ship with his mind ... ring any bells?
Yeah, these are both season 8 things, if I recall.

They don't use time travel as a plot device terribly often; I can recall maybe 5 episodes. Given over 200 in the series, that's not bad.

Anderson was awesome as O'Neill. Browder as Mitchell is only slightly less.

Do the impossible
See the invisible
ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER
(Posted as Celtic209)
(23-Dec-2006 at 18:52)

Longest running series i have followed...Absolutely best....

I like how its not a futurey show. It is happening in the here and now which adds a bit of realism...

One thing i do find annoying is the fact that their are large story arcs however there are stand alone episodes, as said above, which are very good themselves as well...

The Time travel thing....Well ya it made the season 8? finale pretty good in my opinon...Not a huge fan of the whole time travel thing though....

They made a mistake of getting rid of Richard Dean Anderson in my opinon...Then again re-inventing the series with the Ori to save it from stagnation of the Goa'uld plot being used over and over and over was very nice

Still 10/10
View Public Profile Find more posts by Celtic22 Add Celtic22 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $9.31
(23-Dec-2006 at 21:15)

I love this show! 9/10

I love how they always managed to find a new bad guy. Too bad that there will only be 10 more episodes... Good news is that they promised something will continue, and 2 straight-to-DVD movies are planned.

My MSN is still [email protected].
My Skype is kapteindynetrekk

Last edited by Nimon, 23-Dec-2006 at 21:15.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Nimon Add Nimon to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
(27-Dec-2006 at 11:42)

Richard Dean Anderson made Stargate, and without him it hasnt quite got the same depth to it... and I just miss his humour. lol

Overall one of the best Sci-Fi series of all time. Better than Star Trek.

People, like snowflakes, are all slightly different, but we all follow the same patterns -Stewie
Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

Some people are like Slinkies- absolutely useless, but always fun to push down stairs!
View Public Profile Find more posts by Azure Dragon Add Azure Dragon to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $4.24
(27-Dec-2006 at 12:22)

Originally Posted by Azure Dragon: View Post
Richard Dean Anderson made Stargate, and without him it hasnt quite got the same depth to it... and I just miss his humour. lol
QFT! That's probably the only reason I watched these series...and the reason I only watched SG-1
View Public Profile Find more posts by RoWizzies Add RoWizzies to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(27-Dec-2006 at 13:31)

I like SG1, and it is certainly a lot better than SG: Atlantis.

It is ok, but it certainly isn't great. The humour is good, but there's not enough of it for my taste. After a few seasons the whole thing starts feeling the same.

Still, I'd say a Good.
View Public Profile Visit Apeiron's homepage Find more posts by Apeiron Add Apeiron to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $9.31
(27-Dec-2006 at 16:31)

Originally Posted by Azure Dragon: View Post
I don't really have that problem, since I watched all the seasons of Farscape with Ben Browder and Claudia Black. I hope he'll return for the DVD-movies though.

View Public Profile Find more posts by Nimon Add Nimon to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(27-Dec-2006 at 16:59)

well he does come back every so often
View Public Profile Find more posts by O s i r i s Add O s i r i s to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(30-Dec-2006 at 00:57)

One of the best series on TV, what a crime it got canceled! And before they really explored the Auri and ascended being storylines in detail.

In addition to all the great things said above, I have one comment for now: Vala Maldorann is one of the best, most refreshing characters ever. The chemistry between her and Dr. Daniel Jackson is superb, and she brings comic relief to the show after the departure of Jack O'Neill, but in a smart way not a silly way.
View Public Profile Find more posts by EvilDH Add EvilDH to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Thrinniti)
(02-Jan-2007 at 16:58)

i like scifi with a realistic perspectif on it, 4/5

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids , we'd all be running around in darkened rooms munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electron ic music ."
Kristian Wilson , Nintendo Inc 1989
View Public Profile Find more posts by Skrix Add Skrix to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(04-Jan-2007 at 22:52)

I've been watching this since 1998, and it's without a doubt my favorite TV show of all time. The plot lines were believable and easy to follow, and I absolutely loved the character development and most of all Jack's humor. It'll be a sad day for TV when this goes off the air. *sigh*

10/10

Maggie - Inventor of the environment and ventriloquist extraordinaire!

Last edited by Maggie7, 04-Jan-2007 at 22:52.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Maggie7 Add Maggie7 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(04-Jan-2007 at 23:02)

Originally Posted by EvilDH: View Post
One of the best series on TV, what a crime it got canceled! And before they really explored the Auri and ascended being storylines in detail.
Uh...last I checked, the 10th season isn't over yet. Meaning we've got plenty of time for plot exposition yet.

Quote:
In addition to all the great things said above, I have one comment for now: Vala Maldorann is one of the best, most refreshing characters ever. The chemistry between her and Dr. Daniel Jackson is superb, and she brings comic relief to the show after the departure of Jack O'Neill, but in a smart way not a silly way.
Vala is awesome. There is no denying it.

Do the impossible
See the invisible
ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER
Donated $9.31
(05-Jan-2007 at 02:30)

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle Baenre: View Post
Uh...last I checked, the 10th season isn't over yet. Meaning we've got plenty of time for plot exposition yet.
C'mon, 10 more episodes, how much plot development could they fit into that? I'm sure they'll find some way of doing it, but it won't be on the scope of the Goa'uld or the Replicators.

Quote:
Vala is awesome. There is no denying it.
To be honest, it's almost exactly the same character as she played in Farscape. It's great though

Edit:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia:
On December 20, 2006, confirmed reports from GateWorld confirmed the production of two movies, with filming expected to begin in late April of 2007. The regular cast of Stargate would be part of the cast. Executive producer Robert C. Cooper will both write and direct the first movie. The first movie "has to do with wrapping up the Ori storyline, which is the storyline that has taken prominence for the last two years of the show," said cast member Michael Shanks. The second movie starts shooting June 1. Executive producer Brad Wright will write the second film, with Martin Wood directing. That story is a time travel story taking SG-1 to the past. "It has something to do with our main villain Ba'al [Cliff Simon] doing something in the past," Shanks said. "He basically finds a way to lift the Stargate from Earth so the Stargate Program never happens, and I imagine the characters will have to go through some process to reset the clock and fix everything."

I guess we'll see the Ori-storyline wrapped up properly after all.

Last edited by Nimon, 05-Jan-2007 at 02:37.