Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Media Mania > TV Shows Reviews and Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.75 average
Donated $0.56
(22-Mar-2007 at 01:18)

Re: [1997] Stargate SG-1

Originally Posted by VantagePoint: View Post
I have also heard of a 3rd series and was confused to why and where it would take place.

From what I've been told they were planning on wrapping up the ori line in 2 or 3 seasons, which is why some drastic things needed to occur
(ie the Asgard blowing themselves up)
Actually I think they were planning that for a very long time

In the season two episode "1969" the Cassandra used a device making a wormhole without the "wosh-effect", something we only have seen the Asgard do.

Insert funny comment here.
View Public Profile Find more posts by ElelloN Add ElelloN to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $9.31
(22-Mar-2007 at 09:47)

Originally Posted by ElelloN: View Post
Actually I think they were planning that for a very long time

In the season two episode "1969" the Cassandra used a device making a wormhole without the "wosh-effect", something we only have seen the Asgard do.
Nice catch! That makes sense, too.

My MSN is still [email protected].
My Skype is kapteindynetrekk
View Public Profile Find more posts by Nimon Add Nimon to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Mar-2007 at 02:11)

The Nox also have that ability. I have always assumed that as technology advances, the method of generating a wormhole will become easier and more efficient - I don't see how this leads to the asgard 'blowing themselves up' though.

I was searching around a bit, and I found 2 direct to DVD movies being filmed right now! YAY! I did not find any info on a third series, but that would be awesome!

Last edited by Starfriend, 23-Mar-2007 at 15:08.
Edit reason: Spoiler
View Public Profile Find more posts by EvilDH Add EvilDH to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $9.31
(23-Mar-2007 at 02:33)

I think ElelloN was referring to the part where Cassandra, that is Earth, had that technology. Which might indicate that "in the future" the Asgard had granted that technology to SG1.

Last edited by Starfriend, 23-Mar-2007 at 15:09.
Edit reason: Removed quote that contained spoiler
View Public Profile Find more posts by Nimon Add Nimon to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $0.56
(23-Mar-2007 at 17:01)

Originally Posted by Nimon: View Post
I think ElelloN was referring to the part where Cassandra, that is Earth, had that technology. Which might indicate that "in the future" the Asgard had granted that technology to SG1.
True ^^

Info on the third series (Taken from Wiki):
MGM and the producers of the Stargate franchise have confirmed that a third Stargate series will be made, with a projected premiere in early 2008. The show is set to enter pre-production in March 2007, and to enter production in the summer.

According to showrunner Robert C. Cooper, the "series maintains the spirit of Stargate, but opens up a whole new 'universe'."

It has been rumored, and denied, that Michael Shanks, who plays Daniel Jackson in Stargate SG-1, has been offered the lead in the new series.

Insert funny comment here.
View Public Profile Find more posts by ElelloN Add ElelloN to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as DeRnhelm)
Donated $11.54
(07-Jun-2007 at 07:19)

Watched only two seasons but I enjoyed them even though the concept actually got a bit watered out and not many new things happened around the show.

Also, I'd give it an extra grade just for being happy that I know a girl who looks EXACTLY like captain/major/colonel Carter (dunno what she became at last).

~ŠeRn~
BTW: You Are All Buffle Headed
View Public Profile Find more posts by DeRn HaLL Add DeRn HaLL to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(14-Jun-2007 at 01:14)

Been watching it now every weekday for the last couple of months and I really enjoy the universe they build up. I probably like that more than anything else.

Don' know if I'd recommend it to anyone because it's not really all that great but it's addictive
View Public Profile Find more posts by Largoi Add Largoi to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(15-Jun-2007 at 04:04)

I didn't watch it at all until a year or two ago. I didn't like the movie and the first commercials I saw for the show looked so damn low budget that I never even bothered watching the show. (for example the transforming head armors which were so much less impressive than the movie).

Then I saw a few episodes and got hooked. I wanna go back and watch everything from the beginning now. (Although I am kind of annoyed by some episodes with elitist/pacifist/hippie aliens who wont share technology because we aren't "ready for it yet" which seems to be a common theme from numerous "friendly" human races.)
View Public Profile Find more posts by Royal Assassin3 Add Royal Assassin3 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $9.31
(15-Jun-2007 at 13:51)

Originally Posted by Royal Assassin3: View Post
(Although I am kind of annoyed by some episodes with elitist/pacifist/hippie aliens who wont share technology because we aren't "ready for it yet" which seems to be a common theme from numerous "friendly" human races.)
I'm sure you can relate more to the more fascist aliens, like Goa'ould, who only care about advancing their own profits.

Not long until the movies now, I can't wait!

Last edited by Nimon, 15-Jun-2007 at 13:51.
(15-Jun-2007 at 15:41)

Quote:
(Although I am kind of annoyed by some episodes with elitist/pacifist/hippie aliens who wont share technology because we aren't "ready for it yet" which seems to be a common theme from numerous "friendly" human races
Well let's face it.They really weren't ready.Just looks at all the security leaks and power strugles.Giving humanity too much power too early could very well have resulted in it's destruction.Don't forget what happened with the Tollan's neighbours in just one day or what might have happened had Daniel provided Earth with the Goa'Uld knowledge

Besides in the end we did get both the Ancients and the Asgard's knowledge making us essentially the potentially most powerful planet in existance so that shoudl make you happy

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common; they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit the views

Last edited by DHoffryn, 15-Jun-2007 at 15:43.
View Public Profile Find more posts by DHoffryn Add DHoffryn to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(15-Jun-2007 at 18:05)

Originally Posted by DHoffryn: View Post
Well let's face it.They really weren't ready.Just looks at all the security leaks and power strugles.Giving humanity too much power too early could very well have resulted in it's destruction.Don't forget what happened with the Tollan's neighbours in just one day or what might have happened had Daniel provided Earth with the Goa'Uld knowledge
Phf!

It's not so much that they didn't give us the technology (after all being all powerful would take away some of the suspense and the underdog feeling), but their stated reasons struck me as BS. Given that we already have the capability to destroy our planet several times over (and spread that destruction through the star gates if we want), there's obviously no greater risk we could pose to ourselves. To our neighbors possibly, but I didn't like them lying to our faces with their self serving "concerns" for our own well being.

Quote:
I'm sure you can relate more to the more fascist aliens, like Goa'ould, who only care about advancing their own profits.
Facists, monarchs, dictators, why would I like them, although their petty scheming was interesting to watch. No, I prefered O'Neal and his boss who typically followed orders to do the right thing over the protestations of that whiney Daniel guy. Of course, I imagine part of the appeal of the show is that both the right and the left perspectives are shown to be correct at times.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Royal Assassin3 Add Royal Assassin3 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(15-Jun-2007 at 19:07)

Quote:
Phf!

It's not so much that they didn't give us the technology (after all being all powerful would take away some of the suspense and the underdog feeling), but their stated reasons struck me as BS. Given that we already have the capability to destroy our planet several times over (and spread that destruction through the star gates if we want), there's obviously no greater risk we could pose to ourselves. To our neighbors possibly, but I didn't like them lying to our faces with their self serving "concerns" for our own well being.
Not really.As it is we have found a sort of balance.With things like MAD.But intorducing a vastly superior technology like in the case with Daniel and Goa'Uld knowlddge well this tips the scales too much and can quite possibly start the destruction of our world.
Not to mention the security issues.So far we have somehwat of a hold of our more powerful weapons.But with the superior technology a small group like the trust or terrorists can cause immense damage.W
And i didn't see either the Asgard or Tollans lying.Tollans were obviously concerned with our safety due to their experience and the Asgard gave us the technology when they felt we were ready or that at least we couldn't do much damage with it
Altough i did find it stupid that SG-1 never tried to bargain for medicine with either the Tollans or the Asgard.Something just as useful and important as weapons.But isntead they made it all about weapons

And last but not least we have to remember that most of these races are very very advanced.Tell me honestly are you ready to give nukes to some wild tribe in Africa?They probably saw us someone slightly above a chimp and it took time to earn their respect

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common; they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit the views

Last edited by DHoffryn, 15-Jun-2007 at 19:10.
View Public Profile Find more posts by DHoffryn Add DHoffryn to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(15-Jun-2007 at 21:52)

Originally Posted by DHoffryn: View Post
It's over.After so many years the legend is finally over.It has truly been a pleasure to follow this show for many years.I hope that very much like it's inferior aunt Star Trek Stargate in some form will find a way to continue to exist for many many years.Also i would like to mention someone very special.The Asgard.In the final episode they proved once again what we have always known.That they are awesome

Rest in peace Stargate SG-1 you are a legend that will always remain in our hearts.

And now all we can do is wait for the two movies and the next season of Stargate Atlantis
Um, geez it hasn't ended in America yet. We're on the penultimate episode tonight.

Signature suspended for violating the forum's rules.
Signature contained non-English.
"The translation has to be valid, and easily verifiable by a moderator doing a quick search on the Internet."
View Public Profile Find more posts by Draco Eudokus Add Draco Eudokus to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as DeRnhelm)
Donated $11.54
(16-Jun-2007 at 08:31)

Is it me or does Teal'C always look like a dumb oversized thug?
I mean, he always has the same apathic expression in his face in the series (atleast the two first seasons)

~ŠeRn~
View Public Profile Find more posts by DeRn HaLL Add DeRn HaLL to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(16-Jun-2007 at 13:37)

Originally Posted by DeRnhelm: View Post
Is it me or does Teal'C always look like a dumb oversized thug?
I mean, he always has the same apathic expression in his face in the series (atleast the two first seasons)
I kinda like that about him tho, my wife on the other hand isn't to fond of Teal'c, thinks he looks ridiculous, but she doesn't really watch the show tho
View Public Profile Find more posts by Largoi Add Largoi to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(28-Jun-2007 at 01:29)

Originally Posted by Largoi: View Post
I kinda like that about him tho, my wife on the other hand isn't to fond of Teal'c, thinks he looks ridiculous, but she doesn't really watch the show tho
IMO he is really showing his age in the last couple of seasons. Jaffa are supposed to live well past 130, but I guess the humans that play them age at the normal rate...
View Public Profile Find more posts by EvilDH Add EvilDH to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $9.31
(28-Jun-2007 at 15:12)

Originally Posted by EvilDH: View Post
IMO he is really showing his age in the last couple of seasons. Jaffa are supposed to live well past 130, but I guess the humans that play them age at the normal rate...
Well, I guess they solved that problem in the last episode, didn't they?

Though I haven't really noticed anything major. 42 might be somewhat different from 32, but he does what he needs to. As long as he can stand there making expressions, I'm satisfied
(Posted as DeRnhelm)
Donated $11.54
(29-Jun-2007 at 08:22)

Originally Posted by Nimon: View Post
Well, I guess they solved that problem in the last episode, didn't they?

Though I haven't really noticed anything major. 42 might be somewhat different from 32, but he does what he needs to. As long as he can stand there making expressions, I'm satisfied
I have to say, I agree totally.
Fultfilling his role :-p

~ŠeRn~
(11-Jul-2008 at 14:55)

Has anyone seen the two movies that's been released since the neding of the show?

Backa backa mother.....
(11-Jul-2008 at 15:21)

Seen them both ... I enjoyed them both, but Ark of Truth was better in my opinion.

Ark of Truth really does bring an end to the SG-1 series. The movie explains the downfall of the Ori, what happens with Adria and the rest of her prior in our galaxy.

Continuum ... well, it was intriguing but a little 'out there' even by Stargate standards. Worth watching simply because it's Stargate ... but personally, I'm not going to buy it.

I loved the original Stargate movie - but after Continuum, I don't think any more should be made ... from the original to the last, they've only gone down hill. I'd much rather remember the show and the movies for their greatness, and not for there being a couple good movies and a lot of crappy ones.
View Public Profile Visit Roxtin's homepage Find more posts by Roxtin Add Roxtin to your Buddy List Reply with Quote