Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Polls Heaven

View Poll Results: Which sport do you prefer?
I prefer to play Basketball 18 32.14%
I prefer to watch Basketball 15 26.79%
I prefer to play Football 38 67.86%
I prefer to watch Football 32 57.14%
Who voted? Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 56
You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(08-Feb-2007 at 17:54)

Basketball vs Football

Naturally i am talking about real Football not American Rugby.I prefer basketball.Both to play and watch.It's just more exciting.There is a new score every few seconds,a smaller field and the pace is faster unlike in football where they can kick around the ball for 90 minutes and score only one or two goals or even none.

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common; they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit the views

Last edited by DHoffryn, 08-Feb-2007 at 17:57.
View Public Profile Find more posts by DHoffryn Add DHoffryn to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(08-Feb-2007 at 18:16)
their is alot more soccer fans here, and I'm assuming they don't even pay any attention to basketball..so im sure they will give some their biased opinion.

But for me professional basketball is boring and I much rather watch college basketball then the NBA. However, when I watch soccer being played if they are 2 defensive teams I know I may as well go take a nap because its going to be boring. So I much rather play soccer then watch it, but its nice to watch a good EPL game. And since I can't play basketball good anyways I much rather watch the college teams play(not pros).
View Public Profile Find more posts by tylerrrrr Add tylerrrrr to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(08-Feb-2007 at 18:48)

"Real football"....you're talking about the one and only NFL right? But if you are comparing soccer to basketball, I would definatley pick basketball. It's way more exciting than watching two teams score maybe 2 or 3 points. How about Kobe or Iverson scoring 30 or 40 points a game? Now that's exciting to watch!

American and Damn Proud of it!
"I met God on a bus once...he told me the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel"
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
-Ben Franklin-
View Public Profile Find more posts by Rikkar Add Rikkar to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(08-Feb-2007 at 19:10)

i'd prefer playing and watching football - real football (i wonder how american rugby calls itself football when time spent in the game kicking the ball with the feet is SO SIGNIFICANTLY less than football/soccer.

it is interesting to watch them score so many points but football is about the build up, the suspense (especially last minute goals )and considering the large field they get to play in, more tactics are strategies are implemented there. plus with football, there are a thousand and one skills that u can do compared to the 6/7 u can do with a basketball

ps. rugby > american football

"And I honor the man who is willing to sink, half his present repute for the freedom to think, and, when he has thought, be his cause strong or weak, will risk t' other half for the freedom to speak." James Russell Lowell (1819-1891)
View Public Profile Find more posts by DefinitelyMaybe Add DefinitelyMaybe to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(08-Feb-2007 at 20:35)

I prefer to play soccer since huge size doesn't matter as much. I'm 6 feet tall but I have some really tall friends who can practically drop the ball in the basket. Quite an advantage.

I prefer to watch basketball since the scoring is so seldom in soccer. But really I don't like either. Its too easy to score in basketball (so only the final shot in a close game is interesting) and too hard to score in soccer (So there are long boring stretches).

P.S. - Origin of the word football cames from the fact that you play a game on your feet (as opposed to mounted), and not how you interact with the ball. So please use a more specific term when refering to either.

Last edited by Royal Assassin3, 08-Feb-2007 at 20:40.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Royal Assassin3 Add Royal Assassin3 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(User is Banned)
(08-Feb-2007 at 21:55)

Re: Basketball vs Football

Originally Posted by Royal Assassin3: View Post
P.S. - Origin of the word football cames from the fact that you play a game on your feet (as opposed to mounted), and not how you interact with the ball. So please use a more specific term when refering to either.
Okay that would mean tennis, volleyball, bandy, basketball, baseball and various other sports should also be called football, because you're playing with a ball and standing on your feet.

The term 'football' first appear in writing in England in 1314, in a decree banning football within city limits. (Though it should be mentioned that laws were written in French during this period, so the proper English word 'football' is not yet coined in writing).
In addition, football and other ball sports, like handball, were clearly separated from each other and separately mentioned in the 1363 declaration, banning all such sports in England.
In 1409, the English word 'foteball' appears in writing, and again refers to a game where a ball is kicked using the feet.

Thus your claim is pointless, void and null. Football is a game where a ball is kicked.

Later, during the 19th century, different English schools set up their own rules for football. One of these, Rugby football, allowed pulling, pushing and kicking opponents, and eventually evolved into mainly carrying the ball with the hands. This is the first step of the corruption of the word Football. Later, the perverted 'football' spread to the States and became 'American football'.

Please note that the correct terms are Football and American Football.

I am 'great', and yet... I stumble.
...Naz thinks he's great, but should have self critique/irony to see that he stumbles... Stubb apparently hasn't seen the show Shark.
...Yet Stubb would provide a link to where a quote is taken from... How's -that- for an URL. ;] ... How about -this- as the #1 result? ;p Explanation: PEBKAC HELP! I'm being repressed!. . . I love beer and WP.
View Public Profile Find more posts by 0Stubb0 Add 0Stubb0 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(09-Feb-2007 at 04:21)

Well, I don't play American Rugby (I play Canadian Football) so obviously choose football. Smashing people is better than dribbling a ball. If I were to choose basketball or soccer, I'd choose soccer (indoor) where almost anything goes and games go as high as 20 points lol.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Acadian9 Add Acadian9 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(09-Feb-2007 at 05:24)

If you were talking about football, it would have gotten my votes. But soccer, not so much. I picked both basketballs.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin
View Public Profile Find more posts by KnightoftheNite Add KnightoftheNite to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $9.31
(09-Feb-2007 at 06:40)

Originally Posted by Rikkar: View Post
It's way more exciting than watching two teams score maybe 2 or 3 points.
-10 points to you for calling goals points.

Obviously I prefer Football over Basketball. Basketball is ok, specially considering the best team in Norway is from my small home town, but Football is my passion. I love playing it, and I love watching it.

Quote:
It's known as Football all around the world, while your Rugby-Handball is known as American Football, or Rugby, or all the different names for the different variations. World's most popular sport, can't beat that.

My MSN is still [email protected].
My Skype is kapteindynetrekk

Last edited by Nimon, 09-Feb-2007 at 06:42.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Nimon Add Nimon to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(09-Feb-2007 at 13:58)

Originally Posted by Rikkar: View Post
"Real football"....you're talking about the one and only NFL right? But if you are comparing soccer to basketball, I would definatley pick basketball. It's way more exciting than watching two teams score maybe 2 or 3 points. How about Kobe or Iverson scoring 30 or 40 points a game? Now that's exciting to watch!
Yeah, but those showboating crybabies don't know how basketball is supposed to be played. I want to see Joakim Noah, Al Horford, and Corey Brewer each get 18 points. I want to see Taurean Green make 10 points and 15 assists. I want to watch Lee Humphrey down 7 for 7 three pointers. Now THAT'S basketball! It's a team game, and those selfish, money-hungry whiners in the NBA have forgotten that. When someone on your team is scoring 30 or 40 points, that's a major problem.

And since I don't really care about soccer, I'll make no opinion on what you Europeans call football. By the way Rikkar, the NFL has some similar problems to the NBA. College football all the way.

Dual champions in Football and Basketball! Go Gators!

Welcome to The Swamp, where only Gators get out alive.

Last edited by zeegs, 09-Feb-2007 at 14:00.
View Public Profile Visit zeegs's homepage Find more posts by zeegs Add zeegs to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(09-Feb-2007 at 14:45)

Basketball is only good for one thing in my life - helping me fall asleep.

If all else fails, call someone a troll.
that can be fixed... /
View Public Profile Find more posts by Greeney Add Greeney to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(User is Banned)
(09-Feb-2007 at 16:38)

Originally Posted by Nimon: View Post
...the best team in Norway is from my small home town...
Harstad Vikings FTW!

I am 'great', and yet... I stumble.
...Naz thinks he's great, but should have self critique/irony to see that he stumbles... Stubb apparently hasn't seen the show Shark.
...Yet Stubb would provide a link to where a quote is taken from... How's -that- for an URL. ;] ... How about -this- as the #1 result? ;p Explanation: PEBKAC HELP! I'm being repressed!. . . I love beer and WP.
View Public Profile Find more posts by 0Stubb0 Add 0Stubb0 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(09-Feb-2007 at 17:39)
Basketball is not enough of a tema sport i think. When one player cna win you a game, (Kobe 86 points!!! G. Arenas 50+ points!!!!) is no longer a team-enough game. Ofcoz, the tema is still most important. Kobe cna't score all teh points and make all the rebounds. But in football, no ONE player has ever won a game before, not even maradona. He might dribble past 8 players, but he cna't do that for 90 minutes, or even 70 minutes. But in teh case of basketball, a player can dominate 40/48 minutes! There's such a big difference there.

And all Americna games have too many stops. Basketball there's free throws, time outs, quarters, and other stuff. Baseball, well.... sorry if my comments are offending, but i think its a boring game. Unless you're catching the ball or something, you're hardly involved. American football, super-bowls fun cos its the superbowl, but really, each play lasts froma round 3-20 seconds, then stops. But in football, continuity is promoted, that's why there's such thing as an advantage. Even free-kicks can be taken quickly sometimes.

there are a thousand other differences. At the end of the day, it's all down to preferences adn tastes. But you can't ignore the fact that football is the most popular sport in the world, and soon it'll crack the US just like it cracked anywhere else.

P.S. Golf is not a sport, its a social game.

"Sometimes, something got to happen before something else can happen."

Last edited by Kawee, 09-Feb-2007 at 17:40.
Edit reason: mistyped
View Public Profile Find more posts by Kawee Add Kawee to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(09-Feb-2007 at 19:26)

Quote:
I'll make no opinion on what you Europeans call football.
It's not actually us Europeans but the world.There is a slight difference

Quote:
Obviously I prefer Football over Basketball. Basketball is ok, specially considering the best team in Norway is from my small home town, but Football is my passion. I love playing it, and I love watching it.
Playing footbal is amusing but it just doesn't seem to comapre to basketball for me.Apart from the fact that it's much easier to get to play basketball since you can do it one on one two on two and other various combinations and you don't need such a big field as football it's just more action pakced.The smaller field,the much faster scoring using your hand something which for me is much better then using your feet and so on and so on.

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common; they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit the views
View Public Profile Find more posts by DHoffryn Add DHoffryn to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $9.31
(09-Feb-2007 at 20:07)

Originally Posted by DHoffryn: View Post
Playing footbal is amusing but it just doesn't seem to comapre to basketball for me.Apart from the fact that it's much easier to get to play basketball since you can do it one on one two on two and other various combinations and you don't need such a big field as football it's just more action pakced.The smaller field,the much faster scoring using your hand something which for me is much better then using your feet and so on and so on.
Well, you don't need 22 players and a full football field to play football. Me and a bunch of friends had an unformal training arrangement (none of us play football on a team). We used to have between 4 and up to 12 players, and we had fun anyway. 2 on 2 football works very well, and we found that 3 on 3 was the best, the way we played.

My MSN is still [email protected].
My Skype is kapteindynetrekk
View Public Profile Find more posts by Nimon Add Nimon to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(09-Feb-2007 at 21:36)

5 a side ftw
View Public Profile Find more posts by O s i r i s Add O s i r i s to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(09-Feb-2007 at 22:58)

Soccer is extremely boring to watch (slow paced) so I'd rather watch basketball.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Acadian9 Add Acadian9 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(09-Feb-2007 at 23:07)

I loved it when I played soccer, but the wicked pain I had to go through every year to get back in shape stopped me from playing anymore, I perfer walking to hobbleing any day.

I am the darkness in your life, I am the light
I am the end of your tunnel, I am the beginning of your future
I am the end, your end. I am the path to your salvation.

Your bane, or your hope. You decide.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Brightbane Add Brightbane to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(09-Feb-2007 at 23:39)

Oh this is about soccer? Revoke that....anything is more fun to watch than soccer.
View Public Profile Find more posts by bubbie Add bubbie to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Research Group
Donated $2.44
(10-Feb-2007 at 04:30)

if i had a choice to watch sports, basketball and football would not be in the list.

Anyway, i do play both sports, depends on how many girls are there, coz most of them are too short to play basketball with us, or we're too lazy to book the courts, so football is easier =D
View Public Profile Find more posts by NeoDeGenero Add NeoDeGenero to your Buddy List Reply with Quote