Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > The Lunatic Asylum

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
Donated $47.44
(17-May-2011 at 18:53)

Elan and Mr. Despot Strike Back!

Well. It's been a long time, hasn't it? How have you been?

Yeah, I don't know if anyone's still on this forum who remembers me, after all these years, but I felt that I had to come here- back to where it all began. For the uninitiated, there was a time (around 2003) when me and a Canadian bloke by the name of Tathlyn lead quite popular forum events here starring Tathlyn and his counterpart Sir William Billbillson III and Elan and his counterpart Mr. Despot. Well, like I said, that was a long time ago, and probably most of the people who participated have, like me, been gone for many years now.

Still, on the offshot that some of you remain- Elanites, Tathlyn supporters, or merely interested onlookers- I wish to announce that Elan and Mr. Despot have returned at last... not as forum dwellers, but on their own web show. Though my talents as a writer have grown in the last decade, those of you who liked the style and tone of the original characters will find it remarkably well preserved.

And those of you who don't remember it, or missed it on the grounds of not being on the forum at the time (or because you were like eight back then)- the first episode's a review of Gigli, and it's a horrible movie, and therefore very easy to mock.

I have to say it's pretty damned surreal being back here, though. >_>
View Public Profile Visit Elan SsM's homepage Find more posts by Elan SsM Add Elan SsM to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(17-May-2011 at 18:59)

This is really absurdly surreal. I feel simultaneously old and young at the same time.

Izzy is back and older than ever!
View Public Profile Visit Little Kid Izzy's homepage Find more posts by Little Kid Izzy Add Little Kid Izzy to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
Research Group
Donated $25.30
(17-May-2011 at 19:01)

been a very very long time Elan
I'll have to check that link out

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"
R.I.P. InJustice!
Hit me up on Facebook

EWE-tah
View Public Profile Find more posts by Saint Sinner Add Saint Sinner to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $47.44
(17-May-2011 at 19:06)

Re: Elan and Mr. Despot Strike Back!

Originally Posted by Saint Sinner: View Post
been a very very long time Elan
I'll have to check that link out
Good to see some of the old(ish) guard are still here. Anyone else about, SS?
View Public Profile Visit Elan SsM's homepage Find more posts by Elan SsM Add Elan SsM to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
Research Group
Donated $25.30
(17-May-2011 at 19:11)

Originally Posted by Elan SsM: View Post
Good to see some of the old(ish) guard are still here. Anyone else about, SS?
Swifty is around here somewhere

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"
R.I.P. InJustice!
Hit me up on Facebook

EWE-tah
View Public Profile Find more posts by Saint Sinner Add Saint Sinner to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $47.44
(17-May-2011 at 19:17)

Swifty is around here somewhere
So now there are just two? How sad. Once we were legion, the LA crowd. Well, time makes fools of us all, and even if it were just one- or, indeed, none- it still would have been wrong of me to fail to return here for this event.
Global Moderator
Research Group
Donated $25.30
(17-May-2011 at 19:23)

There are a few others around I think
Just not the active place it once was

R.I.P. InJustice!
Hit me up on Facebook

EWE-tah
Donated $47.44
(17-May-2011 at 19:27)

There are a few others around I think
Just not the active place it once was
I blame Tathlyn. Imagine, abandoning this forum and never looking back for years on end, just because of a firm dislike of Brother Naz?

Inexcusable, if you ask me.
Global Moderator
Research Group
Donated $25.30
(17-May-2011 at 19:33)

Originally Posted by Elan SsM: View Post
I blame Tathlyn. Imagine, abandoning this forum and never looking back for years on end, just because of a firm dislike of Brother Naz?

Inexcusable, if you ask me.
Bit silly really

on a completely different subject .. love the show .. hate the first episode, but thats only because of the movie clips you use.

R.I.P. InJustice!
Hit me up on Facebook

EWE-tah
Global Moderator
Research Group
Donated $25.30
(17-May-2011 at 19:34)

I really hate that movie.

R.I.P. InJustice!
Hit me up on Facebook

EWE-tah
Global Moderator
Research Group
Donated $25.30
(17-May-2011 at 19:43)

How often will you be posting episodes?

R.I.P. InJustice!
Hit me up on Facebook

EWE-tah
Donated $47.44
(17-May-2011 at 22:57)

How often will you be posting episodes?
Sorry, had some classes.

The goal will be every other week. As the title card implies, they won't be one-off episodes but rather chapters- either about some scheme of Mr. Despot's, an attack from one of his enemies, or, in the case of this one, both. Seasons, too, have a running storyline. We have a great deal planned, and plots lined up for much of the next TWO seasons, or roughly the next two and a half years. >_>

Now, I can't promise every other week at first, because a) the Mr. Despot costume won't be ready until the end of June, and he appears, after an absence in the third episode, in the flesh in the fourth, and b) we're new at this, and we're still streamlining our process.

Also of note: this one runs longer than virtually every single one that follows. I underestimated the runtime of my script, feeling it would be easier to cut than to add more... which is true to an extant, I suppose, but before cuts this half of the Gigli review (which was NOT going to be a two-parter, by the way) would've had a runtime of roughly 45 minutes. 34 is... endurable, but still a bit much.

Last edited by Elan SsM, 17-May-2011 at 22:58.
Global Moderator
Research Group
Donated $25.30
(18-May-2011 at 00:41)

Sounds promising
I look forward to it

R.I.P. InJustice!
Hit me up on Facebook

EWE-tah
Global Moderator
Research Group
Donated $25.30
(18-May-2011 at 00:47)

Originally Posted by Little Kid Izzy: View Post
This is really absurdly surreal. I feel simultaneously old and young at the same time.
Just wanted to say how weird it is to have seen you both on at the same time after years of inactivity

R.I.P. InJustice!
Hit me up on Facebook

EWE-tah
(18-May-2011 at 06:06)

It's what happens when Elan IMs and posts a link to UT. I considered posting elsewhere, but then I saw that RGD has the exact same people an absurd arguments as usual, and I remember I had real things to do.

Izzy is back and older than ever!
View Public Profile Visit Little Kid Izzy's homepage Find more posts by Little Kid Izzy Add Little Kid Izzy to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(18-May-2011 at 08:39)

Just wanted to say how weird it is to have seen you both on at the same time after years of inactivity
Ditto. Wow. A real blast from the past

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common; they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit the views
View Public Profile Find more posts by DHoffryn Add DHoffryn to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(18-May-2011 at 08:57)

Yo Elan! You look like Vizzini, but with a better profile.

34 minutes is an awful lot to ask of the internet. I gave you ten because I've always liked you, but if I didn't vaguely know you I wouldn't have bothered watching any of it at all. Will future episodes be more reasonable in length then, since it sounds like the gargantuan size was somewhat accidental?

Also, I'm interested in your process. Who's the "we"? do you have someone helping you film & edit, or write, or whatever?

I look forward to future, shorter, tighter episodes.

<3
View Public Profile Find more posts by emo kat Add emo kat to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $47.44
(21-May-2011 at 21:55)

Originally Posted by emo kat: View Post
Yo Elan! You look like Vizzini, but with a better profile.

34 minutes is an awful lot to ask of the internet. I gave you ten because I've always liked you, but if I didn't vaguely know you I wouldn't have bothered watching any of it at all. Will future episodes be more reasonable in length then, since it sounds like the gargantuan size was somewhat accidental?

Also, I'm interested in your process. Who's the "we"? do you have someone helping you film & edit, or write, or whatever?

I look forward to future, shorter, tighter episodes.

<3
The episodes are going to generally be about 20 minutes long. There will be some exceptions- major plot events, such as Elan being blasted into bizzaro world in a later chapter, or the Christmas special where Mr. Despot attempts to murder Santa Claus, might have some 28 minute Specials.

35 is hideously inflated, but it's the best I could do with my bloated 45 minutes of footage short of just starting over again. The next one should be around 20 minutes. Still a lot to ask of the internet, but my contempt for my intellectual inferiors remains just as intense and off-putting as ever, so... there you have it. This chapter should mostly be around 20 minute episodes.

As for the "we," I am producing this with my brother. He'll be in the next one, in the role of Phil, the Unloyal Henchman, and he did about half of the editing.

Last edited by Elan SsM, 21-May-2011 at 22:03.
Edit reason: I edited to add an edit note. That's all you need to know. Shoo!
Donated $47.44
(31-May-2011 at 06:33)

Episode 2: Ambergris and the Occult/Gigli Finale has been uploaded to our blip site on schedule. It should be up some time tonight. I am more pleased with this one. It's duration is a shade under 26 minutes, which fits in my 20-28 minute frame of preference, and I feel for the most part it is tighter overall.

There is a plot-important bit after the credits! It will be of major important for the rest of the episodes in this chapter (either two or three more, I haven't decided), and lay the groundwork for the chapter that follows. Hope you like it!
Global Moderator
Research Group
Donated $25.30
(31-May-2011 at 06:34)

ah finally

R.I.P. InJustice!
Hit me up on Facebook

EWE-tah