Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Polls Heaven

View Poll Results: Can you succeed in life WITHOUT going to college/university?
Yes 334 83.08%
No 68 16.92%
Who voted? Voters: 402
You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(28-Jun-2007 at 07:22)

How 'bout Keating, didn't finish school and then became Prime Minister.

Happiness, n.
An agreeable sensation arising from contemplating the misery of another.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Zectron Add Zectron to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(28-Jun-2007 at 07:49)

Quote:
How 'bout Keating, didn't finish school and then became Prime Minister.
yeah but was he good??

shouldnt say that coz its before my time really and i dont exactly know... quite frankly the only PM i have known is Howard... but meh, had to be said

Howard FTW... i think he came from humble beginnings btw... not sure whether he went to college though...

but yes at any rate, one can definitely succeed without college... you'd hope so anyway, since i dont think the percentage of people who are college educated is that high

but yeah, trades are definitely on the rise, in australia anyway, coz of shortages... builders and tradies are living teh high-life

however, i persoanlly will be attending university... as long as i pass year 12 but yeah academics is where im comfortable

Tax collectors are a valid military target - chobham

Last edited by Spectre19, 28-Jun-2007 at 07:50.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Spectre19 Add Spectre19 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(28-Jun-2007 at 14:51)

I went to the JAC (Joint Apprenticeship Council) last Friday for an interview to be an electrician, and I have to take a 2 week safety and orientation course their starting July 3, and after that I will hopefully get my pre-apprenticeship/probation period for a year and will be making around $15/hour starting. Throughout my apprenticeship I will be taking courses at a local college for in-class stuff, which I won't consider a college degree because it's every few months and for a month or two.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Acadian9 Add Acadian9 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(28-Jun-2007 at 16:19)

Looks like you are on your way and $15 an hour is great for apprenticeship. You will have a skill that you can use anywhere in the world.

I started out as a bag boy at a golf course, never stepped foot in a university, and I have been in charge of multi-million dollar projects for many years now. I have about 500 people working for me.

Now I know there was a long span between my start and where I am now but its proof it can happen.

Tolerance is the virtue of men who no longer believe in anything, tolerance is for the weak and oppressed"
View Public Profile Find more posts by Bierkrug Add Bierkrug to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
(17-May-2011 at 02:12)

bumped

........Why does the thin grey strand......Ah, you will understand;.......................I should find, for a reprimand
.......Floating up from the forgotten......When I carried my mother downstairs,.....To my gaiety, a few long grey hairs
......Cigarette between my fingers,......A few times only, at the beginning..........On the breast of my coat; and one by one
.....Why does it trouble me?.............Of her soft-foot malady,.......................I watched them float up the dark chimney.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Swifty Add Swifty to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Research Group
Donated $112.99
(17-May-2011 at 02:14)

Re: Can you succeed in life WITHOUT going to college/university?

Originally Posted by Swifty: View Post
bumped
Thank-you. sir.

While it makes points that would seem to agree with the majority of the voters in this poll, I thought it would be interesting to share it anyways. This video makes a lot of legitimate and current points arguing against the necessity of getting a Post-Secondary education, and if anything, argues for the general population to not go to Post-Secondary.
View Public Profile Find more posts by advocatus Add advocatus to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(21-May-2011 at 08:14)

Having sat through an hour of watching the aforementioned video, it does seem a little bit doom and gloom although it does make a number of good points. Especially the one about it not necessarily being a good idea to go for higher education to become a lawyer.

Although the original point of this thread was a number of years ago, my view (which is seen as very elitist by a number of people) is that your best bet is to go to school to get a USEFUL degree. I've got an electrical engineering degree and I easily had a job once I got out of school just 6 months ago. It also helps if you're motivated and willing to go and try and find the jobs. I do have a few friends who don't have jobs, but my belief is that they are really not looking because I talk to them and they don't ever talk about applying for jobs seriously. That's just their being lazy. In my area atleast, engineering companies are always looking out new workers.

However, I can easily see a number of people who have law/liberal arts/business degrees who can't get jobs because there's such a flood of people with degrees like that. In that regard, the video makes a valid point in that college is fairly useless to those people. It is a bit sad/annoying that such a large level of unqualified people go to school. Many times, it seems like those people are unwilling to accept that about themselves. That seems in many ways to be a problem with people, but that's harder to fix.

As for farming, I admit I have very little knowledge of that regard. It seems valid that skilled farmers will always be needed. However, the amount seems like it would very limited in scope. With the advances in technology, fewer people are required to farm. So, I'm not sure I would say that that is the appropriate way to go either.

Yes, you can go without higher education and live a decently comfortable living... maybe. If you're motivated enough, then it is possible to find a good way to do that. Although, if you are that motivated, I believe you have a higher chance (even with the aforementioned liberal arts etc. degrees) to achieve that level of living. And if you're that motivated, get a 'hard' degree, work hard at it, and you'll stand out and get an even higher level of living. Without a higher education, you might always be looking at those successful people with a higher education (because those people DO still exist) and wonder why your standard of living isn't quite up to theirs.

I miss Runey...
Band is good! Band is great! Band is how I got a date!
War Damn Eagle!
I love Reputation! Love it! Gimme Gimme Gimme!!! Please.
View Public Profile Find more posts by StarOwl Add StarOwl to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(21-May-2011 at 08:31)

Having thought about it a little more, the question also depends on your definition of success. The definition that the video (and many people) settles on is that of having a good living with financial security. That is, being able to do much of what you want without much issue overall. However, if your definition is different... then go with what you like. If you like, say, being a janitor and that is your only goal in life, then you can probably accomplish that without higher education. I, myself, enjoy my work and so, I feel successful by doing good work there and solving problems and being rewarded for it in way of a salary. That is mainly so I can relax and have fun in my free time though! I would be very upset if I was stuck in a job I didn't enjoy and I am thankful that I am in one that I do enjoy.

So, my final qualifier for now is that it all depends on the person I guess, just as many things in life do.

...Jeez, I don't know why this topic always seems to make me feel so passionate.

I miss Runey...
Band is good! Band is great! Band is how I got a date!
War Damn Eagle!
I love Reputation! Love it! Gimme Gimme Gimme!!! Please.
View Public Profile Find more posts by StarOwl Add StarOwl to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(02-Jun-2011 at 08:59)

Another thing to consider is country where this success might take place. Now I don't know about the USA but in my country probably since education is free a university degree is pretty much a must. The only other chance for quite a few job is knowing someone on the inside who can hook you up. Otherwise quite often they won't even consider you

And of course knowing at least one foreign langauge.

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common; they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit the views
View Public Profile Find more posts by DHoffryn Add DHoffryn to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $47.44
(07-Jun-2011 at 18:09)

Re: Can you succeed in life WITHOUT going to college/university?

Originally Posted by DHoffryn: View Post
Another thing to consider is country where this success might take place. Now I don't know about the USA but in my country probably since education is free a university degree is pretty much a must. The only other chance for quite a few job is knowing someone on the inside who can hook you up. Otherwise quite often they won't even consider you

And of course knowing at least one foreign langauge.
Stateside a lot of (but not all of) the trades don't have degrees. You can't major in plumbing or carpentry. (Electricians can, though.) There are a variety of fields that don't require a degree, some of them quite high-paying, many of them horrible.

That said, if you're not really a DIY kinda guy, like me, you'll find yourself trudging to college sooner or later. >_>
View Public Profile Visit Elan SsM's homepage Find more posts by Elan SsM Add Elan SsM to your Buddy List Reply with Quote