Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Polls Heaven

View Poll Results: Are user quotes on signatures low blows or highlights?
Low Blow 18 45.00%
Highlight 9 22.50%
Don't Know/Care 13 32.50%
Who voted? Voters: 40
You may not vote on this poll

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
Posts: 2324/2515
(10-Apr-2009 at 01:51)


User bashing on signatures.

I've noticed people bashing other users on their signatures, usually by showing a quote by someone in an attempt to make them look bad. Personally, I think this is just a low blow to make that person look bad. This poll was somehting I jsut thought of making after seeing someone else getting a low blow by someone who shall not be named. I remember a while back someone had my quotes on their siggy and I thought it was immature, stupid and quite rude. it's one thing to disagree with someones opinion but to flaunt it everywhere you go is just ridiculous.

BTW I wasn't sure of what to use for pro-siggy, so used highlight due to lack of personal vocabulary.

Last edited by Acadian9, 10-Apr-2009 at 01:55.
#1  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Acadian9 Add Acadian9 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 53/82
(10-Apr-2009 at 01:58)


Re: User bashing on signatures.

Originally Posted by Acadian9: View Post
I've noticed people bashing other users on their signatures, usually by showing a quote by someone in an attempt to make them look bad. Personally, I think this is just a low blow to make that person look bad. This poll was somehting I jsut thought of making after seeing someone else getting a low blow by someone who shall not be named. I remember a while back someone had my quotes on their siggy and I thought it was immature, stupid and quite rude. it's one thing to disagree with someones opinion but to flaunt it everywhere you go is just ridiculous.

BTW I wasn't sure of what to use for pro-siggy, so used highlight due to lack of personal vocabulary.
I'd have to agree with the majority of what you said. This is especially true when the quotes aren't even in context of what the person was actually saying. It makes the user (with the signature) look like a fool.

Time passes, people move. Like a river's flow, it never ends.
A childish mind will turn to noble ambition. Young love will become deep affection.
#2  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Felix Zalitz Add Felix Zalitz to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 2325/2515
(10-Apr-2009 at 02:00)


Re: User bashing on signatures.

Originally Posted by Felix Zalitz: View Post
I'd have to agree with the majority of what you said. This is especially true when the quotes aren't even in context of what the person was actually saying. It makes the user (with the signature) look like a fool.
If they don't agree with someone, keep that disagreement in the thread where it belongs. Don't bring a disagreement about apples being better than oranges to a thread about politics.
#3  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Acadian9 Add Acadian9 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 1886/1958
(10-Apr-2009 at 02:00)


In most cases, I ignore the 'out of context userquote' as a low blow.

However, when a link to the (partially) quoted post is added so you can see what it's about, then it's another matter entirely.
That removes the whole reason I would otherwise think of it as a low blow (unless the post shows the quote is taken out of context too much, in which case it's a low blow which also makes the signature user look bad).

Plus sometimes they're very amusing. If there's a link to the quoted post and they're still funny, then they're pretty awesome.

---
--

(Hey Hopey!)

Last edited by Lunor, 10-Apr-2009 at 02:02.
Edit reason: Nice poll btw
#4  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Lunor Add Lunor to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Celtic20)
Posts: 354/410
(10-Apr-2009 at 03:07)


Originally Posted by Acadian9: View Post
I've noticed people bashing other users on their signatures, usually by showing a quote by someone in an attempt to make them look bad. Personally, I think this is just a low blow to make that person look bad. This poll was somehting I jsut thought of making after seeing someone else getting a low blow by someone who shall not be named. I remember a while back someone had my quotes on their siggy and I thought it was immature, stupid and quite rude. it's one thing to disagree with someones opinion but to flaunt it everywhere you go is just ridiculous.

BTW I wasn't sure of what to use for pro-siggy, so used highlight due to lack of personal vocabulary.
Most Likely Nimon and our MIA COnservative RA3.

Originally Posted by Lunor: View Post
In most cases, I ignore the 'out of context userquote' as a low blow.

However, when a link to the (partially) quoted post is added so you can see what it's about, then it's another matter entirely.
That removes the whole reason I would otherwise think of it as a low blow (unless the post shows the quote is taken out of context too much, in which case it's a low blow which also makes the signature user look bad).

Plus sometimes they're very amusing. If there's a link to the quoted post and they're still funny, then they're pretty awesome.
I pretty much agree with Lunor here (including the compliment on a good poll).

Its interesting to see what people say (To take one example, RA3 drawing parralells between a kid named Adolf Hitler and our President Barack Hussein (spelling?) Obama) and how they make a complete asses of themselves.

It is sometimes taken out of context, which is why i usually look around for the post the quote was taken from before I form an opinion
#5  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Celtic22 Add Celtic22 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 2007/2035
(10-Apr-2009 at 04:54)


I have to say, I do find them fairly amusing, generally. That said, they tend to be entirely juvenile.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."
-Soren Kierkegaard
"Those who know don't say, and those who say don't know."
- Lao Tzu
More Quotes...
#6  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Syke Add Syke to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 968/1020
Donated $1.20
(10-Apr-2009 at 05:18)


I think in debates where there are strong feelings (which inevitably becomes every debate- as the number of people posting in the thread drops, you have 1-2 vs 1-2 people on different sides of a discussion) people begin to take things a little personally. I do it myself, even though I try not to. In the Nimon+others vs RA3 and Mars vs VoR sigwars (although Mars isn't really participating) i think it's two people who have disagreed with each other so often that they've begun to dislike the person behind the handle, even just a little. Hence the quotes in sigs, which are usually slightly in context but never as a accurate a reflection of the person being quoted as the sigwriter believes.

I did have a quote of VoR in my sig in 2005, so I wouldn't say "lame user bashing" because I know I wasn't trying to bash anyone. I just found what was said to be unbelieveable, my only thought is that maybe I assumed other people would too, if they read it.

I had much more, but I can't make it come out right. Seven rewrites before I gave up.

Gah.. It's a pity that forum debates get so heated people actually stop assuming good faith in one another.

Noble Lady Sarak ~~ King Was Throne Away
The most extragant idea that a politican can have is to believe that it is enough for a people to march into a foreign country, for that country to adopt its laws and constitution. No-one likes armed missionaries; and nature and prudence both teach us to repel armed missionaries as enemies.
~ Maximilien Robespierre; January 1792
#7  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Sarak Add Sarak to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 2355/2669
(12-Apr-2009 at 00:49)


Ha this is a fun poll. Years ago Nimon had some quote of me in his sig (and thinking that ive been posting here thaaaaaat long makes me feel a tad old, but w/e ). It really didnt bother me all that much. This is a internet forum, I really dont care THAT much if people think of me as a ass. Not to mention it is obviously juvenile.

"Hmph, you and your third dimension."
"What about it?" "Oh nothing, itís cute. We have five."
"Th-thousand."
"Yes five thousand."
"Donít question it."
#8  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Chillin Add Chillin to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 3109/3642
(12-Apr-2009 at 02:07)


It's just a pathetic way for one person to try to insult someone else whose perspective the former doesn't agree with, usually started by people who consider themselves more sensible, tolerant, and mature than others.

If all else fails, call someone a troll.
that can be fixed... / ∆
#9  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Greeney Add Greeney to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 4718/4773
Donated $9.31
(12-Apr-2009 at 17:31)


As you can imagine, I don't really have a problem with it. I do have a problem with it if it's overly childish, and particularly if it's taken entirely out of context. That said, I don't think I've ever had a quote that is really taken out of context. The quotes I chose weren't part of a much bigger picture that showed something different entirely, they were word-for-word quotes (usually with poor grammar intact). Basically, they were simple statements of opinion regarding one thing or another, and the people who said these things apparently genuinely believed these things. At least I can't remember anyone ever PM'ing me asking me to remove it because it was a lie.

I might have gone over the line when I called someone or other a Fascist, but then I was told to remove that part (or it was removed for me, I can't remember entirely).

What I don't usually do is insinuate something about the people (with the obvious exception being the fascist statement). They were simple direct quotes, with maybe an added comment about what it was regarding ("RA3 on the War in Iraq", for example). I haven't used a quote for a sign in quite a while (I haven't really had a sig at all, actually), but if I see something I consider to be a particularly stupid or telling comment, you can be damn sure I won't hesitate to display the stupidity for all to see.

Last edited by Nimon, 12-Apr-2009 at 17:34.
#10  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Nimon Add Nimon to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 2257/2297
(12-Apr-2009 at 17:42)


I have never done it myself and don't think I ever will, and others have had signatures bashing me in it. I don't particularly mind though. Sometimes they are rather amusing, sometimes they are just true and when they're neither, they just show the childishness of the signature bearer.

Modern world I'm not pleased to meet you

You just bring me down
#11  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Caelis666 Add Caelis666 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 4781/4829
(13-Apr-2009 at 23:49)


Speak of the devil.

I find such sig quotes mildly amusing. It reminds me of how in politics you have to talk like a pile of warm mush all the time for fear that someone will take a quote out of context and try to define you by it. A good lesson for real life, but on the internet it doesn't particularly matter. I'm anonymous precisely because it allows me to speak my mind freely even if some people don't like what I have to say. That's one of the strengths/weaknesses of the internet.
#12  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Royal Assassin3 Add Royal Assassin3 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 3546/3861
(14-Apr-2009 at 01:56)


never did it never will... its kinda dumb.

Never Forget

September 11, 2001
#13  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Invictus2001 Add Invictus2001 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 2177/2860
(02-Jul-2009 at 05:29)


I think it's mostly done by cowards who find themselves unable to debate against an opponent so they take to a medium in which someone can't respond directly. Pretty pathetic and sad if you ask me.

Mars II - American Scientist
PhD - Physical Chemistry
#14  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Mars II Add Mars II to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 12/20
(08-Jul-2009 at 22:20)


Not all quotes in signatures are bad plus if you don't want to "look bad" you should watch what you say around other people.
#15  
View Public Profile Find more posts by flutterbyAR Add flutterbyAR to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 2184/2860
(18-Sep-2009 at 05:04)


Re: User bashing on signatures.

Originally Posted by flutterbyAR: View Post
all quotes in signatures are bad
Quotes in context and done in good faith aren't bad. However, it is rare that someone bashing another user will give them fair treatment in their sig.

(you see what I did there, used your quote out of context)

Mars II - American Scientist
PhD - Physical Chemistry
#16  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Mars II Add Mars II to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 4748/4773
Donated $9.31
(18-Sep-2009 at 09:34)


Re: User bashing on signatures.

Originally Posted by Mars II: View Post
Quotes in context and done in good faith aren't bad. However, it is rare that someone bashing another user will give them fair treatment in their sig.

(you see what I did there, used your quote out of context)
That's a very poor example. I can't remember the last time someone blatantly cut off the quote to put in their signature. I've certainly never done that. I've only ever put the entirety of the posters stupidity in the signature, and let it speak for itself.
#17  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Nimon Add Nimon to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 2185/2860
(19-Sep-2009 at 06:17)


Not much to work with on that one. One sentence and all. But you see how in an entire debate you could pick out one thing that looks stupid without clarification and add your own in your sig, such as what happened to me. I said "pro terrorist group" referring to a known forum troll and his buddies and the troll then used the quote and claimed I referred to the EU as pro terrorist. That's blatantly dishonest.

Mars II - American Scientist
PhD - Physical Chemistry
#18  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Mars II Add Mars II to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 1733/1971
(19-Sep-2009 at 08:19)


Re: User bashing on signatures.

Originally Posted by Mars II: View Post
Not much to work with on that one. One sentence and all. But you see how in an entire debate you could pick out one thing that looks stupid without clarification and add your own in your sig, such as what happened to me. I said "pro terrorist group" referring to a known forum troll and his buddies and the troll then used the quote and claimed I referred to the EU as pro terrorist. That's blatantly dishonest.
Except the context implied you meant the EU. That is your fault, not VoR's.

Tax collectors are a valid military target - chobham
#19  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Spectre19 Add Spectre19 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 2186/2860
(20-Sep-2009 at 01:06)


Originally Posted by Spectre19: View Post
Except the context implied you meant the EU. That is your fault, not VoR's.
Is that so now?


Quote:
Also, an EU report alleges illegal expansion. It's all how you say it isn't it? Given how "facts" are presented by the pro-terroris group I don't see why people even bother posting in threads like these.
That could be misunderstood, however the EU doesn't post in these forums to my knowledge.

Quote:
I believe I was quoting filcher and referring to you. Although, that statement and your current sig just go to show you only read what you believe, not believe what your read. Y'know, how I was talking about "facts" in threads like these, meaning your threads.

9/11 is only 6 months away and I still don't know what to get you....
So several months after this post, which was responded to, the sig did not change nor did his creative interpretation of it.

Quote:
Trying to pretend now that the 'pro-terrorist group' is me is a joke. Stop digging, Mars. You are doing yourself no favours.
Despite MY clarification, I am being told what I meant. As far as I know, I'm the local and only expert on what I mean.

I've made the jab several times and you've never responded negatively too it so I just assumed that people who support Hamas (terrorists) or defend Hezbollah (terrorists) support terrorists in general.
Quote:
I believe my point about facts being twisted by you is proven by your signature. It is not true because you will it to be true. What I say means what I say. To further the point the article says:
Despite a second clarification, said troll continued to have the quote there. So rather than debate the fact, it is cowardly posted in a sig with no context except the troll's own.

Why doesn't your bashing in the sig contain a link to it btw? Do you prefer to use Chobham's words without context because you can't debate a point with him able to defend it?

Mars II - American Scientist
PhD - Physical Chemistry
#20  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Mars II Add Mars II to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump:

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1337 movies Ninjoo The Lunatic Asylum 20 22-Jan-2008 01:28
Spellbound UT - Global Mod War Greeney The Lunatic Asylum 110 07-Dec-2007 04:24
Moderators Team Updates Brother Green General Site Discussions 230 26-Jun-2007 19:18
Revision of the rules Rustem General Site Discussions 17 11-Dec-2006 16:42
If you think youre dumb Alpha Centauri The Lunatic Asylum 20 08-Jun-2004 03:42


All times are GMT+1. The time now is 22:36.

Powered by vBulletin (modified)
Copyright ©2000-2006, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.