Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Polls Heaven

View Poll Results: Do you support political attack ads?
Yes 1 8.33%
No 10 83.33%
Don't know/care 1 8.33%
Who voted? Voters: 12
You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(26-May-2009 at 23:13)

Political Attack Ads

It disgusts me that politicians use ads to bash the other parties. Ads are meant to tell the voters why you should vote for them, but instead they bash the other part and tell the voters why not to vote for them. I know not all ads are like this, but during election time, it's very common.

I don't know about the ads in other countries, but here in Canada in the last few years at least, we've had several elections both federal and provincial, with several attack ads. One one included bird-excrement on the rival party leader. Something so childish was blown out of proportion.

Conservative Puffin Ad Gaffe
View Public Profile Find more posts by Acadian9 Add Acadian9 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(27-May-2009 at 02:10)

I agree it kinda sucks, but there really isnt too terribly much you can do about it. I mean I assume most countries have some sort of "free speech" law that allows people to do this....

"Hmph, you and your third dimension."
"What about it?" "Oh nothing, itís cute. We have five."
"Th-thousand."
"Yes five thousand."
"Donít question it."
View Public Profile Find more posts by Chillin Add Chillin to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(27-May-2009 at 04:33)

Meh. One of the many flaws of democracy. It could be changed but nobody gives a shit.

Tax collectors are a valid military target - chobham
View Public Profile Find more posts by Spectre19 Add Spectre19 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $9.31
(27-May-2009 at 13:25)

Re: Political Attack Ads

Originally Posted by Chillin: View Post
I agree it kinda sucks, but there really isnt too terribly much you can do about it. I mean I assume most countries have some sort of "free speech" law that allows people to do this....
Political ads of any kind is illegal on TV in Norway. Unfortunately it looks like some of the right-wing parties will try to use some EU regulations or something to force through a change that would allow political parties to advertise on TV. That would inevitably open the door for attack ads as well.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Nimon Add Nimon to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(27-May-2009 at 14:02)

Luckily we don't get that kind of stuff here. Attack ads are kinda useless anyway when there's some 10 different parties.

Modern world I'm not pleased to meet you

You just bring me down
View Public Profile Find more posts by Caelis666 Add Caelis666 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(27-May-2009 at 15:45)

Originally Posted by Nimon: View Post
Political ads of any kind is illegal on TV in Norway. Unfortunately it looks like some of the right-wing parties will try to use some EU regulations or something to force through a change that would allow political parties to advertise on TV. That would inevitably open the door for attack ads as well.
That's kind of odd... why is TV advertising banned? =\ and why would TV advertising in particular be smear advertising?

Tax collectors are a valid military target - chobham
View Public Profile Find more posts by Spectre19 Add Spectre19 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $9.31
(27-May-2009 at 17:02)

Originally Posted by Spectre19: View Post
That's kind of odd... why is TV advertising banned? =\ and why would TV advertising in particular be smear advertising?
Because that's just the way it it, and has been. Political advertisement is basically propaganda. TV advertisement really does nothing to help the political awareness of people. There's also been the argument that it will be biased towards the bigger parties, or just the ones with more funds. Unlike the US, we've got a lot of different parties, some pretty small.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Nimon Add Nimon to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(27-May-2009 at 21:39)

Canada has several parties at the Federal level, including the Conservatives, Liberals, New Democratic Party, Bloc Quebecois (Quebec only) and the Green Party. All of them get more than 99% of the votes and they have the money, particularly the first 3. The Conservatives (in power now) attack the #2 party (Liberals) and the Liberals attack the government along with the other parties.

I believe that if the ads actually told voters why they are the best candidates without bashing the other parties, people might give a shit. All I see is criticism and "oh, the x party did this and that, caused this and refuses to do that. Vote for me." Politics are dirty enough as it is without attack ads.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Acadian9 Add Acadian9 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $11.20
(28-May-2009 at 14:27)

One man's attack ad is another man's moment of truth.

Besides, it amuses me when they get so over the top that they end up sticking their foot in their mouth.

What is more disturbing is when the attack ads come from not the candidate, not the party, but some non-profit group with an agenda (George Soros, anyone?).

Man is the only animal that blushes, or needs to.-- Mark Twain
View Public Profile Visit Michael1's homepage Find more posts by Michael1 Add Michael1 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(29-May-2009 at 06:21)

As much as they're decried, apparently they're effective since they continue to so virulently persist.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."
-Soren Kierkegaard
"Those who know don't say, and those who say don't know."
- Lao Tzu
More Quotes...
View Public Profile Find more posts by Syke Add Syke to your Buddy List Reply with Quote