Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Polls Heaven

View Poll Results: How do you feel about eating meat?
I eat meat, but I can only do so by pretending to myself that my meat comes from factories. 0 0%
I eat meat: Animal welfare and pollution are not that important. 8 23.53%
I eat meat: Itís ridiculous to look at animals as individuals/mankind kills more animals indirectly. 9 26.47%
I eat meat, but only when itís biological. 0 0%
I donít eat meat: Itís unethical to kill animals for food. 1 2.94%
I donít eat (much) meat: Itís too polluting. 0 0%
I donít eat (much) meat: Itís a bit unethical and too polluting. 1 2.94%
I donít eat (much) meat: I wouldnít mind eating it, but I just donít like the taste that much. 2 5.88%
I donít eat (much) meat: Itís too expensive. 1 2.94%
I donít eat (much) meat: Itís too fattening 0 0%
I eat meat cause it's tasty 11 32.35%
I eat meat cause it's important to a balanced diet 1 2.94%
Who voted? Voters: 34
You may not vote on this poll

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
Posts: 2/25
(08-Jan-2010 at 12:38)
How do you feel about eating meat?

Quite often, I hear vegetarians say that when they convince enough people to think about what theyíre doing, many more would stop eating meat. I donít really believe that, and thatís why I made this poll.

Also, Iím curious if anyone else thinks the same way I do (I voted for point 3). I totally donít get it why it would be so much better if nature kills an animal, compared to a person. Sure, one shouldnít put animals under unnecessary stress (thatís also bad for the meat quality), but I donít think a respectful attitude towards animals is always best. For example, I once heard of an experiment with goats in a closed confinement (or a similar animal; I canít remember). These animals like to be in the company of other goats, but a picture of another goat also helps to alleviate stress. Itís not a natural or a respectful way to treat the animal, but who cares? The goat? I donít think so!
#1  
View Public Profile Find more posts by bigk Add bigk to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 689/742
(08-Jan-2010 at 16:39)


Ate meat for a long time; loved it but ultimately couldn't square it with my deep love for all living beings, and felt i had to be honest and stop rationalizing mistreating and killing animals just for the joy of taste. Became a vegetarian around my 14th; didn't take much effort since it felt more true to myself, and rarely ever felt like i miss anything since. For me it was the principle of killing animals that seemed to matter most, i most definitely experienced it as an ethical dilemma. The way they're treated on the way to their death was much less significant for me; biological meat didn't solve the dilemma for me at least. And i didn't knew enough about the full scale impact of the meat industry regarding pollution, environmental degradation, waste, etc for that to matter much.

That said, it is a less clear-cut ethical issue for me nowadays, as i wouldn't say eating any meat is categorically ethically wrong. I understand too well how vegetarianism is in a sense a luxury to act that radical. It still feels wrong to me though, but to each conscience its own so to say. I've also gotten a much much better understanding of the massive practical problems with the meat industry. So any sharp edges that were taken off the principled stance, have been balanced out by a vast amount of strong pragmatic arguments for meat-free diets

Your brain is unique in the history of the universe. Use it wisely.
#2  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Dusk Illz Add Dusk Illz to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 2605/2669
(08-Jan-2010 at 19:11)


I have always eaten meat, and always will. To be quite honest, animals welfare is not that important to me. There is something called a food chain that exists in nature. Its there for a reason. Were at the top of it. End of story...

Keep in mind I do think killing animals strictly for sport and things along thoose lines isnt cool. But if its for the purposes of food, then its alright.

"Hmph, you and your third dimension."
"What about it?" "Oh nothing, itís cute. We have five."
"Th-thousand."
"Yes five thousand."
"Donít question it."
#3  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Chillin Add Chillin to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 7/10
(09-Jan-2010 at 03:25)


Yum yum tastes like it died screaming [/anthony bourdain]

That said, i probably wouldnt take an active hand in the deals at cattle ranches, etc, so shrug.
#4  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Gabriel Gray Add Gabriel Gray to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Celtic21)
Posts: 364/410
(10-Jan-2010 at 19:07)


Doesnt bother me that i eat things that were alive once. Circle of life and all that.

Doesnt mean I'm not disusted when animals (whether being eaten or not) are mistreated. And no I dont consider killing them (quickly) and eating them to be mistreatment.
#5  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Celtic22 Add Celtic22 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 1565/1629
(11-Jan-2010 at 08:51)


eat meat ....... don't even think about where it come ...... been a vegetarian in the past as well and had the same thought process then about where my food came from.

Fear is the foundation of most governments
Five years of banning
04-Dec-2002 Starfriend Spamming
11-Dec-2007 Saint Sinner Off-Topic Post
Happy Wooden anniversary
#6  
View Public Profile Find more posts by HarleyQuinnROX Add HarleyQuinnROX to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Randomized)
Posts: 303/469
(15-Jan-2010 at 20:53)


I eat meat, and love it. I have no ethical problem with animals being killed for my meat, but I do think that animals in the food industry should be treated properly.
And I don't have to picture meat coming from a factory. I have no problem with meeting the live animal I'm gonna eat later.
#7  
View Public Profile Visit Black Oranje's homepage Find more posts by Black Oranje Add Black Oranje to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 1772/1846
(18-Jan-2010 at 06:51)


Re: How do you feel about eating meat?

Originally Posted by Chillin: View Post
I have always eaten meat, and always will. To be quite honest, animals welfare is not that important to me. There is something called a food chain that exists in nature. Its there for a reason. Were at the top of it. End of story...

Keep in mind I do think killing animals strictly for sport and things along thoose lines isnt cool. But if its for the purposes of food, then its alright.
humans are top of food chain? holy fuck!!!

Quote:
And I don't have to picture meat coming from a factory. I have no problem with meeting the live animal I'm gonna eat later.
killed on numarous occasions the meat i was then going to eat (and no im not talking about fishing) used to spend a lot of time on a farm down here where the cows were named freezer1 freezer2 etc.

in a philisophical stance i can understand not to eat it and believe ive even posted the argument here before. But me, im a meat eater, i see no point changing that either despite actually arguing that being a vegetarian is philisophically more sound. Makes me a hypocrite? yeah i guess it does, but i love my meat

Saint Sinner for President 2012
You're all fucking stupid
You're mafia, dont deny it.
Absalom
#8  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Skraz Add Skraz to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Eldarad)
Posts: 321/329
Donated $9.01
(18-Jan-2010 at 19:36)


I'm probably somewhere between 2 and 3. But whilst I am not too fussed about animal welfare within reason, I think pollution is a much bigger issue but one that can be addressed without stopping eating meat.

I think in a lot of cases the push for organic (I guess this is what you mean by biological?) meat and better treatment standards is from people who are fairly well off. People who have to choose between animal welfare standards and buying enough food to feed the whole family rarely choose the former.

You only have power over people as long as you don't take everything from them.
But when you've robbed a man of everything, he's no longer in your power - he is free again.
#9  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Adderla Add Adderla to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 5/25
(19-Jan-2010 at 09:03)
Re: How do you feel about eating meat?

Originally Posted by Eldarad: View Post

I think in a lot of cases the push for organic (I guess this is what you mean by biological?) meat and better treatment standards is from people who are fairly well off. People who have to choose between animal welfare standards and buying enough food to feed the whole family rarely choose the former.


Yes, I meant to say organic (translating error).

That reminds me, organic meat is usually not better for the global environment. It might be nice for the animals to have more space, and ground water pollution might be less of a problem, but more space requires more heating, which means more CO2 emissions. Also, the younger an animal is killed, the better it is for the environment: Veal is relatively environmentally vriendly.

Some (dairy based) meat analogues are also just as bad for the environment as meat, so keep this in mind when you vote, and be honest, vegetarians: Do you really care roughly equally for the environment and animal welfare (vote #7), or is the environmental benefit nice, but not as important (vote #5).
#10  
View Public Profile Find more posts by bigk Add bigk to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 2608/2669
(19-Jan-2010 at 19:49)


Quote:
humans are top of food chain? holy fuck!!!
I know its hard to beleive isnt it? But I think I make a good point when I say that. The food chain as been in existence for millions of years. Saber tooth tigers(or whatever exsited back then) didnt think twice about eating a human if they were hungry. The food chain has been in place for a long tim and has worked out just fine. To be honest I could even go as far as saying that not eating meat is unnatural. Any time a species that typically ate meat was on top of the food chain, it ate meat....so not doing so would be bucking the trend so to speak, a trend that has been around a lonnnnnnng time...

"Hmph, you and your third dimension."
"What about it?" "Oh nothing, itís cute. We have five."
"Th-thousand."
"Yes five thousand."
"Donít question it."
#11  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Chillin Add Chillin to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 1773/1846
(20-Jan-2010 at 03:09)


Re: How do you feel about eating meat?

Originally Posted by Chillin: View Post
I know its hard to beleive isnt it? But I think I make a good point when I say that. The food chain as been in existence for millions of years. Saber tooth tigers(or whatever exsited back then) didnt think twice about eating a human if they were hungry. The food chain has been in place for a long tim and has worked out just fine. To be honest I could even go as far as saying that not eating meat is unnatural. Any time a species that typically ate meat was on top of the food chain, it ate meat....so not doing so would be bucking the trend so to speak, a trend that has been around a lonnnnnnng time...
no i get your point, i just making a sarcastic go at it because we arent really at the top, sort of are thanks to technology but if we are alone with say a shark, the shark still wins.

now let me go have some flake

Saint Sinner for President 2012
You're all fucking stupid
You're mafia, dont deny it.
Absalom
#12  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Skraz Add Skraz to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 2609/2669
(20-Jan-2010 at 05:35)


yeah your right but the use of tools for our race is our striongest assest obviously...

and yes i knew you were being sarcastic too...its just that some people really get on the whole point of eating meant is inhumane and all that, but really its just what happens naturally...

"Hmph, you and your third dimension."
"What about it?" "Oh nothing, itís cute. We have five."
"Th-thousand."
"Yes five thousand."
"Donít question it."
#13  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Chillin Add Chillin to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 1566/1629
(20-Jan-2010 at 15:29)


Re: How do you feel about eating meat?

Originally Posted by Skraz: View Post
killed used to spend a lot of time on a farm down here where the cows were named freezer1 freezer2 etc.


ooooh killers nothing taste as good as hand raised pets ......... free range cattle comes close but killers are still the best.

Fear is the foundation of most governments
Five years of banning
04-Dec-2002 Starfriend Spamming
11-Dec-2007 Saint Sinner Off-Topic Post
Happy Wooden anniversary
#14  
View Public Profile Find more posts by HarleyQuinnROX Add HarleyQuinnROX to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Randomized)
Posts: 332/469
(21-Jun-2010 at 21:04)


Re: How do you feel about eating meat?

Originally Posted by Chillin: View Post
yeah your right but the use of tools for our race is our striongest assest obviously...

and yes i knew you were being sarcastic too...its just that some people really get on the whole point of eating meant is inhumane and all that, but really its just what happens naturally...
how can it be inhumane? We're not eating humans are we? Safe for the occasional pacific canibal.
#15  
View Public Profile Visit Black Oranje's homepage Find more posts by Black Oranje Add Black Oranje to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
Research Group
Posts: 4232/4241
Donated $0.60
(05-Jul-2010 at 00:40)


Where's the option: I eat meat because it belongs into balanced diet?

Generalization is rhetorics of simpletons.
"Sages learn from history... idiots learn from experience" -Fairy Tail manga
#16  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Lord Menchalior Add Lord Menchalior to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
Research Group
Posts: 3196/3397
Donated $25.30
(05-Jul-2010 at 00:49)


I eat meat because its good and its got what a person needs for their diet.

If I sit down to eat bear meat I wont be thinking "Oh this is so wrong, they are such gentle creatures" I'll be thinking "Better him then me"

If the roles were reversed bears wouldnt think twice about eating you.
If they are hungry and you are the only food .. say goodnight.

How many people here would, in the dead of winter, abandon their mighty moral values and love for animals to live?
Welcome to the real world.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"
R.I.P. InJustice!
Hit me up on Facebook

EWE-tah
#17  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Saint Sinner Add Saint Sinner to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 1914/1971
(05-Jul-2010 at 07:07)


Re: How do you feel about eating meat?

Originally Posted by Lord Menchalior: View Post
Where's the option: I eat meat because it belongs into balanced diet?
It's not there because you can have a diet just as balanced without it

Tax collectors are a valid military target - chobham
#18  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Spectre19 Add Spectre19 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
Research Group
Posts: 4235/4241
Donated $0.60
(05-Jul-2010 at 12:31)


Re: How do you feel about eating meat?

Originally Posted by Spectre19: View Post
It's not there because you can have a diet just as balanced without it
Now that might be true, however meat is most natural way to get balanced diet, without all kinds of magic and imported greenies. Locally produced meat is better for the environment that greenies that must be import halfway around globe.

Man's teeth's and internal organ's have developed to consume and processed mixed food.

More local food, natural balance and it stresses nature less. Locally produced food is good for you and nature. Fish, Meat, vegetables and diary products are all good when used appropriately. I don't believe in vegetarism but people who do have their rights to do as they please.

When food is shortage though, you eat what you can and you cannot be picky. Locally meat is sometimes way cheaper than greenies and student must vote with their wallets

Generalization is rhetorics of simpletons.
"Sages learn from history... idiots learn from experience" -Fairy Tail manga
#19  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Lord Menchalior Add Lord Menchalior to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 11/25
(05-Jul-2010 at 13:31)
Re: How do you feel about eating meat?

Originally Posted by Lord Menchalior: View Post
Where's the option: I eat meat because it belongs into balanced diet?
To be honest, I ignored this opinion, because I didn't think that someone would find it most important; Sure, a moderate amount of meat is good for your health, and it is part of the reason why I eat meat. However, I guessed that most people in this forum would eat more meat than is good for them. Therefore, I didn't think the 'balanced diet' argument would hold out in practice.

Please keep in mind also that one can only provide a few options in the Utopia Temple Polls (max 10 options, if I remember correctly).

Last edited by bigk, 05-Jul-2010 at 13:32.
#20  
View Public Profile Find more posts by bigk Add bigk to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump:

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do you feel like time is passing by fast ? PandaLord Polls Heaven 23 31-Oct-2004 03:35
Louisiana ban gay marriage Jean831112 Respectable General Discussions 234 06-Oct-2004 05:12
Do you feel this is worth a deletion? xxVinniexx Utopia Discussions 24 11-Aug-2004 12:53
How Do You Feel About Sex? Simkin Polls Heaven 54 08-Jul-2004 02:27
My Feel last ancient The Lunatic Asylum 26 12-Aug-2002 08:53


All times are GMT+1. The time now is 06:28.

Powered by vBulletin (modified)
Copyright ©2000-2006, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.