Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Polls Heaven

View Poll Results: How do you feel about eating meat?
I eat meat, but I can only do so by pretending to myself that my meat comes from factories. 0 0%
I eat meat: Animal welfare and pollution are not that important. 8 23.53%
I eat meat: Itís ridiculous to look at animals as individuals/mankind kills more animals indirectly. 9 26.47%
I eat meat, but only when itís biological. 0 0%
I donít eat meat: Itís unethical to kill animals for food. 1 2.94%
I donít eat (much) meat: Itís too polluting. 0 0%
I donít eat (much) meat: Itís a bit unethical and too polluting. 1 2.94%
I donít eat (much) meat: I wouldnít mind eating it, but I just donít like the taste that much. 2 5.88%
I donít eat (much) meat: Itís too expensive. 1 2.94%
I donít eat (much) meat: Itís too fattening 0 0%
I eat meat cause it's tasty 11 32.35%
I eat meat cause it's important to a balanced diet 1 2.94%
Who voted? Voters: 34
You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(05-Jul-2010 at 16:22)

Re: How do you feel about eating meat?

Originally Posted by Lord Menchalior: View Post
Now that might be true, however meat is most natural way to get balanced diet, without all kinds of magic and imported greenies. Locally produced meat is better for the environment that greenies that must be import halfway around globe.

Man's teeth's and internal organ's have developed to consume and processed mixed food.

More local food, natural balance and it stresses nature less. Locally produced food is good for you and nature. Fish, Meat, vegetables and diary products are all good when used appropriately. I don't believe in vegetarism but people who do have their rights to do as they please.

When food is shortage though, you eat what you can and you cannot be picky. Locally meat is sometimes way cheaper than greenies and student must vote with their wallets
I don't see how meat is any better for the environment. The livestock industry is a significant contributor to greenhouse gas emissions.

In any case, I don't think alternatives necessarily need to be imported; admittedly I'm not a farmer, but beans, a high source of vego protein, grow pretty well most places I think. Of course, you also need to make sure you get complete proteins, which is harder when you don't eat meat, and as a meat eater I don't really know the details of how to do this.

Another point is sustainability. Most meat ultimately takes up far more land than vegetation. Sure, you can keep livestock on arid land, but you still have to feed it with shit grown on arable land. A lot of it. Ultimately, such an arrangement will no longer be sufficient to support humans, and we will have to significantly reduce our meat intake (from what is now, in most Western countries, the main focus of a dish and a HUGE part of our diet).

Cost is a good point though. Sufficient vegetarian diets can get pricey, and take a lot of planning.

Tax collectors are a valid military target - chobham
View Public Profile Find more posts by Spectre19 Add Spectre19 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
Research Group
Donated $0.60
(05-Jul-2010 at 17:30)

Originally Posted by Spectre19: View Post
I don't see how meat is any better for the environment. The livestock industry is a significant contributor to greenhouse gas emissions.

In any case, I don't think alternatives necessarily need to be imported; admittedly I'm not a farmer, but beans, a high source of vego protein, grow pretty well most places I think. Of course, you also need to make sure you get complete proteins, which is harder when you don't eat meat, and as a meat eater I don't really know the details of how to do this.

Another point is sustainability. Most meat ultimately takes up far more land than vegetation. Sure, you can keep livestock on arid land, but you still have to feed it with shit grown on arable land. A lot of it. Ultimately, such an arrangement will no longer be sufficient to support humans, and we will have to significantly reduce our meat intake (from what is now, in most Western countries, the main focus of a dish and a HUGE part of our diet).

Cost is a good point though. Sufficient vegetarian diets can get pricey, and take a lot of planning.
Indeed and for Finland, which has about 6 motnhs of year such that no green stuff grows in here. Vegetables least unless you count green houses, meat is only source of food with green house vegetables for the northern countries. And vegetables become ridicioules expensive during winter months.

I agree that western world eats too much meat and vegetables should be increased. its all about health but I have to also really watch prices. Summer is better as vegetables are cheaper than meat.

Generalization is rhetorics of simpletons.
"Sages learn from history... idiots learn from experience" -Fairy Tail manga
View Public Profile Find more posts by Lord Menchalior Add Lord Menchalior to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(06-Jul-2010 at 03:01)

So it may have been said in this before, but as a chef now I take this rather personally, where is the option for "I eat meat because it is tasty, and has multiple culinary as well as cultural applications, and I try to be aware of the practices of how it was raised but its not a make or break deal"

Cooking...your sauce, your meat, any thing you want...

Member of UT since...eh...not telling.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Sosousme Add Sosousme to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
Research Group
Donated $25.30
(07-Jul-2010 at 22:25)

Originally Posted by Sosousme: View Post
So it may have been said in this before, but as a chef now I take this rather personally, where is the option for "I eat meat because it is tasty, and has multiple culinary as well as cultural applications, and I try to be aware of the practices of how it was raised but its not a make or break deal"
I added a "tasty" option and a "diet" option

Let me know if I screwed it up

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"
R.I.P. InJustice!
Hit me up on Facebook

EWE-tah
View Public Profile Find more posts by Saint Sinner Add Saint Sinner to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
Donated $41.00
(08-Jul-2010 at 12:44)

I love my meat. Alot of it.

It's a good part of your diet and it taste so damn good. You can beat it and put it on things. It's versitle.

BUD LIGHT
145847903/Davevalek/Insanity
I am one of a kind, the only one you'll find. I am me and nothing else...
View Public Profile Find more posts by Valek Add Valek to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(08-Jul-2010 at 15:20)

Originally Posted by Valek: View Post
I love my meat. Alot of it.

It's a good part of your diet and it taste so damn good. You can beat it and put it on things. It's versitle.

Wah wah wah...

I personally found it a bit tough and full of gristle, and rather difficult to cook to the right temp.

Cooking...your sauce, your meat, any thing you want...

Member of UT since...eh...not telling.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Sosousme Add Sosousme to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Randomized)
(27-Jul-2010 at 01:34)

Originally Posted by Saint Sinner: View Post
I eat meat because its good and its got what a person needs for their diet.

If I sit down to eat bear meat I wont be thinking "Oh this is so wrong, they are such gentle creatures" I'll be thinking "Better him then me"

If the roles were reversed bears wouldnt think twice about eating you.
If they are hungry and you are the only food .. say goodnight.
I applied your logic to hungry cows, then lol'd
View Public Profile Visit Black Oranje's homepage Find more posts by Black Oranje Add Black Oranje to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(27-Jul-2010 at 14:04)

The consumption of meat is one of the major factors in:
-world pollution (greenhouse gasses, ammonia, hormones, pesticides for the food)
-the artificially high prices of food (meat is subsidized while too much productive land is simultaneously used to grow animal fodder rather than human food)
-the unsustainable use of resources (massive water wastage, incredibly inefficient: producing 1 kilo of meat requires around 10 kilo's of plant food and many 100's of liters of water)
-and the terribly inefficient use of global produce (rather than feed local people their produce goes to feed the animals that we subsequently eat, it's transported all over the world, subsidized farmers force local growers out of the market, and the list goes on.)

Requiring it for a healthy diet is more myth than truth as well. There is a very well-established link between the consumption of red meat and processed meat and cancer as well as heart disease. Not even mentioning obesitas, high blood pressure, cholesterol, and so on. Vegetarians also live 6-10 years longer on average (although that is not solely a matter of diet, because they tend to live healthier in other regards as well).

Basically, meat is incredibly inefficient and harmful in a lot of ways. Admittedly, also very tasty however. So i don't mind people eating it, as long as they're aware of the above facts.

Your brain is unique in the history of the universe. Use it wisely.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Dusk Illz Add Dusk Illz to your Buddy List Reply with Quote