Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Respectable General Discussions > Religious Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(26-Apr-2003 at 03:11)

Heaven

My friend and I were just the other day discussing heaven.

What it looks like, what we will do, and I wanted to hear other people's opinions on the matter.

Also, do you believe that you will know the person that you fall in love with, friends, family, etc. when you are in heaven?

I feel hyper~
.:lady of the battle:.
Blu's Maid of Honour~
View Public Profile Find more posts by Anani Add Anani to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Lord Drizzt)
Donated $2.20
(26-Apr-2003 at 11:20)

What it looks like? Well, it's NOT some kind of place above the clouds pictured in typical stereotypes.

s o u l f i r e
View Public Profile Find more posts by Drizzt Add Drizzt to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(26-Apr-2003 at 12:36)

Re: Heaven

Quote:
(Originally posted by Anani)

My friend and I were just the other day discussing heaven.

What it looks like, what we will do, and I wanted to hear other people's opinions on the matter.

Also, do you believe that you will know the person that you fall in love with, friends, family, etc. when you are in heaven?
Looks like you're addressing the people who believe in Heaven.

My thoughts on Heaven:

- It's a concept which the Church uses to motivate people to follow their ways.
- It's a divine reward for your sincere life on earth, and it's reasonable to assume it's the ultimate reward. Since every human is unique, and is appealed by different things, logically Heaven wouldn't be a preset place, but a condition where only your desires would be fulfilled. So if you want to spend time with someone after you die, that will happen.

However, the above is just some ramblings from a daft atheist, for what it's worth.

"Observers worldwide have been expressing great pity for the people of Gaza [...] This pity may be a natural emotional reaction, yet it is unethical and immoral." - Adi Dvir, Ynetnews editor
View Public Profile Find more posts by Peppie Add Peppie to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(26-Apr-2003 at 13:18)

I have a simple concept...

Heaven is where God is...

Hell is where God is NOT...

there's tons of theology behind that, but that's it in a nutshell

and some fella is going to reply with "hey since i don't like the christian God I think hell's the only place for me, should be fun"

my reply to that would be "you said so"

-Part of the UT Christian Community
View Public Profile Find more posts by Ketam Add Ketam to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(26-Apr-2003 at 15:57)

True Zen says there is not such thing as Heaven, once you die, that´s it, you are off and your body is the target of "real states for worms" agents. Point.
But of course you have Illumination, reunion with the Universe, being part of it, atoned with everything. And of course it is the end of suffering, if that can be comparable, but it is something you get in lifetime, not after it, being victim of a presumed afterlife we have no proofs of.

This post does not exist.- Someone you know is One of Us. - FNORD!
View Public Profile Find more posts by Illuminatus 1st Add Illuminatus 1st to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(26-Apr-2003 at 16:20)

i really dont believe in Heaven but i still go to church
and i'm not an Athiest so i'll back off *slowly walks out*
View Public Profile Find more posts by Vendeelian Add Vendeelian to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Belnick HaJ)
(26-Apr-2003 at 18:29)

heaven does not exist, just something somone invented when he wrote the novel, bible :þ

Within darkness comes enlightenment.
There is no god, there is no Devil, there is no heaven or Hell
STYX HaJ challenged Lord Hawk - He ran off
View Public Profile Visit Belnick the God's homepage Find more posts by Belnick the God Add Belnick the God to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(User is Banned)
(26-Apr-2003 at 18:47)

Heaven, right, well it if did exist I'd imagine it would be due to electricity slowing in your brain and dilating time out into infinity and you slipping into a dream-like state of heaven.

If you see the light at the end of the tunnel, then you passed the test.
View Public Profile Visit Cloud Strife's homepage Find more posts by Cloud Strife Add Cloud Strife to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(27-Apr-2003 at 09:36)
Everytime I see something and think how beautiful it is, i just remind myself that wow this is so beautiful, but even will be even more beautiful. So try that, but you know it doesnt even matter what heaven will look like. The reason why it is going to be so awesome is because for the first time we will be in the precense of god, and it will more amazing than anything you have or will ever experience
View Public Profile Find more posts by shagy2dawg Add shagy2dawg to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Black Fighter)
(27-Apr-2003 at 10:29)

Well the god in the old testament is rather evil...dunno if I'd like to be in a heaven with that guy.

I think heaven is really sweet, everyone you love is there, it's all white and angels are singing all day (and you don't even hate them for it!).
Ofcourse you must give alot of money to the church, act excactly how god wants you to (though he's kinda vague about many things...in example : don't kill but dó kill homosexuals!!!) and tell everyone about this Jesus guy.

Ow, btw...heaven doesn't excist.
View Public Profile Visit Apeiron's homepage Find more posts by Apeiron Add Apeiron to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(27-Apr-2003 at 22:55)
Watch monty pythons meaning of life, heaven is a gigantic holiday inn where angel sing with there tits out and every day is christmas. Its about as likely as any other representation.

Heaven is a place created by the church to control the populace when law at the time could not. In a time of superstition you could not catch the criminals easily, but you could dissuade them by convining them that someone would judge them and their soul was forfiet.

Having read medieval sermons (I am a re-enactor and history buff in the UK) a lot of them, when talking about hell, go on and on about painful torment and the horror of the place. Have you noticed that the church no longer goes on about these things since we have had the technology to prevent crime and no longer need to scare people into behaving, they can see how easy it is for you to be tracked. So now we focus on behaving and you will go to heaven, rather than not and you will go to hell.

The church was a legal tool throughout the history of the western world, a religion that used fear to make people abide with the law because they wanted to go to heaven. It is a shame so many people still fall for this.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Flosi Add Flosi to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(28-Apr-2003 at 02:44)

Ok mainly I don't want to go in depth how you don't belive in heaven. I didn't ask that.

If you believe in heaven or you want to post how you think it would be like, then go ahead. I dun need a story on why and how you don't believe in heaven.

Anyways, I have asked some people and they think that when you are in heaven then you really won't know the ones you loved on Earth like you would in heaven. Which personally I don't like that perspective.

Heaven to me, is my loved ones. Also some people think that everyone will look the same. I was wondering what other people think about this.

I feel hyper~
.:lady of the battle:.
Blu's Maid of Honour~
View Public Profile Find more posts by Anani Add Anani to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(29-Apr-2003 at 03:51)

well i think we arent supposed to know anything really about heaven. focussing on things that arent that important is no good. fight the battles worth fighting for. the only thing we do know about heaven is thats where God is, and we got invited too
View Public Profile Visit Sigmund's homepage Find more posts by Sigmund Add Sigmund to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(29-Apr-2003 at 05:58)

Quote:

Heaven to me, is my loved ones.
I once overheard a discussion about heaven. It kind of diverged into the idea of a Christian loving somebody who was going to be condemned to hell (for whatever reason). And it was said, "Can it be heaven without the one you love?"

That was so good I had to write it down.

Anyways, reminded me of that.

In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.
-Douglas Adams
View Public Profile Find more posts by Erik64 Add Erik64 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(29-Apr-2003 at 09:59)
Quote:
(Originally posted by Black Fighter)

Ofcourse you must give alot of money to the church, act excactly how god wants you to (though he's kinda vague about many things...in example : don't kill but dó kill homosexuals!!!) and tell everyone about this Jesus guy.

Ow, btw...heaven doesn't excist.
Ok well next time before you start trying to go against a religion, study what your going against.

You dont have to give money to the chruch to goto heaven.
You dont have to act exactly how god wants you to to goto heaven (jesus died so that we may goto heaven even though we still mess up alot)
And nowhere in the bible does it say to kill homosexuals.

Quote:

Anyways, I have asked some people and they think that when you are in heaven then you really won't know the ones you loved on Earth like you would in heaven. Which personally I don't like that perspective.

Heaven to me, is my loved ones. Also some people think that everyone will look the same. I was wondering what other people think about this.
Hmmmm, In the bible god says to us that he is to be our first love. So i guess that means god is supposed to be our first love, and if there is something that we love more than god then that something has become an idol in our life and is a block in our relationship with god. I'm not saying you can't love anything except god, just that god is supposed to be the most important of these things that you love.
Try thinking of the person you love most, no imagine that you are living your life out of love for this person, then one day you finaly meet up with the one you love most. How would you feel? I mean sure you love lots of other people, but this is the person whom you love most, whom you are for the first time, able to be with, not just through emails or text messages but truly be with face to face. Wouldnt you want to spend all your time with this person whom you love most instead of the others who you had been with all your life?
View Public Profile Find more posts by shagy2dawg Add shagy2dawg to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(29-Apr-2003 at 13:12)

Quote:
Ok well next time before you start trying to go against a religion, study what your going against.
Okay now you are talking to the wrong guy. You won't find many atheists having studied the bible and christianity as much as I do.

Quote:
You dont have to give money to the chruch to goto heaven.
God tells people to give him a tenth over and over again.

Quote:
You dont have to act exactly how god wants you to to goto heaven (jesus died so that we may goto heaven even though we still mess up alot)
Some examples of God telling you how to behave :
- if you even act sissy, you won't go to heaven
- if you were once a christian and got out, you'll never go to heaven even if you get back again
“For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame” (Hebrews 6:3-6).
- You can't go to heaven if you have sex before marriage
"Even as Sodom and Gomorrah, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire" (Jude 1:7).

There are many more examples like the above.

Quote:
And nowhere in the bible does it say to kill homosexuals
O god, you really don't know what you are talking about do you?

These are from the new testament :

“If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman…they shall be put to death” (Leviticus 20:13).
“Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination” (Leviticus 18:22).
“Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind . . . shall inherit the kingdom of God”(1 Corinthians 6:9-10)
See also
(1 Timotheus 1:9-10)
(Letter to the Romans 1:27-32)

In the Old Testament God personally tells people to kill homosexuals, it's in the law of Exodus.
There are countless parts of the bible where it says homosexuals should be killed.
View Public Profile Visit Apeiron's homepage Find more posts by Apeiron Add Apeiron to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(29-Apr-2003 at 13:31)

first of Jesus's laws were a correction to the law of Moses and what is said in corinthians is that all those types of people shall not enter heaven if they do not repent. ounce again the whole "Hate the sin Love the sinner" deal

militant Liberal Christian..funny string of words I got there
"when life gives you Lemons eat them whole..Peal and all"
-the great Ipoc
UNITE! SPARK THE FIRE!
View Public Profile Find more posts by jahwarrior Add jahwarrior to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(29-Apr-2003 at 13:43)

Leviticus still says homosexuals should be killed.

So all those ancient laws God personally gave were in one strike undone by this guy claiming to be his son?

Matthew Five verse Seventeen to Nineteen.

Even if you - after reading that - keep saying that the bible does not say to kill homosexuals then you are obviously misreading. Even if you believe that those laws do not count anymore, they díd count for thousands of years and God himself díd say to kill homosexuals.

Even if the old guy changed that later, which he did not if you read the bible.

But I think we are getting way to much of topic, create another thread about it if you wish to discuss further...let's get back to 'heaven' in here.