Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Respectable General Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(29-Oct-2005 at 22:19)
The Real Football Thread

Does anyone here watch college football or NFL? I didn't see a discussion about football so I thought I'd start one as I'm a big fan.

Hook'em Longhorns!(UT for the unenlightened =P)
View Public Profile Find more posts by Konsepts Add Konsepts to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(29-Oct-2005 at 22:28)

Re: The Real Football Thread

Quote:
(Originally posted by Konsepts)

Does anyone here watch college football or NFL? I didn't see a discussion about football so I thought I'd start one as I'm a big fan.

Hook'em Longhorns!(UT for the unenlightened =P)
I love football, but I'm not so sure RGD is the place for this thread. Maybe it should mosey on down to LA.

P.S. Go Patriots! WooO!!!

WTS. First non-enlgish, then size. It's a good thing you don't get wp for sucking at sig-making. Give me another week and I'll figure it out.
Signature suspended by Starfriend for violating the forum's rules.
Signature height exceeded the allowed 60 pixels.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Mizeraaze Add Mizeraaze to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(29-Oct-2005 at 22:37)
The soccer/football thread inspired me to create this. I thought if there was a soccer thread, there should be a football one too right?

PS- Forget pats, go broncos!
View Public Profile Find more posts by Konsepts Add Konsepts to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(29-Oct-2005 at 22:52)
Quote:
PS- Forget pats, go broncos!
Exactly my friend, exactly.

Im also a CU Buffs fan, congrats to Texas on beating us. Vince Young is the real deal.
View Public Profile Find more posts by draco193 Add draco193 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
Research Group
Donated $0.60
(29-Oct-2005 at 23:23)

I've never tried football, but rugby because lack of protective gears in rugby makes it a lot cheaper, you only need a ball or pigs blatter or what they did used before industrial revolution, somthing from big though... And Man, I seriously want to train same thing with protective gears...

I am complete n00b in NFL but I like Los Angeles Raiders, if they still exist. It doesn't matter how good or bad they are, they just have very good colours and logo...

Generalization is rhetorics of simpletons.
"Sages learn from history... idiots learn from experience" -Fairy Tail manga
View Public Profile Find more posts by Lord Menchalior Add Lord Menchalior to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Jarlaxle Baenre)
(29-Oct-2005 at 23:27)

CFL.

You know you want it.

In all honesty, I don't really watch football. It's too slow for me.

Rumours of my demise are greatly exaggerated
Do the impossible
See the invisible
ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER
View Public Profile Visit Eltargrim's homepage Find more posts by Eltargrim Add Eltargrim to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(29-Oct-2005 at 23:37)
Here's an interesting statistic:

United States total population: 281,421,906 (as of April 1, 2000).
The aprox. number of people who consider american football real football is 281,421,906.

World total population: 6,082,966,429( as of April 1,2000).
The aprox. number of people who consider soccer (as you americans named it) real football is 5,801,544,523.

For every person who believes american football is real footbal there are 20 who say soccer is real football.

I will not even go into the minor detail that american football is mainly played with hands.. You go ahead and think what you want, because americans are right and the rest of the world is wrong.

Last edited by Downwithgravity, 29-Oct-2005 at 23:38.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Downwithgravity Add Downwithgravity to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
(30-Oct-2005 at 00:08)

The real football is in fact what you yanks call soccer. It was around long before grid iron

Still, your entitled to a thread discussing the fake football!

People, like snowflakes, are all slightly different, but we all follow the same patterns -Stewie
Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

Some people are like Slinkies- absolutely useless, but always fun to push down stairs!
View Public Profile Find more posts by Azure Dragon Add Azure Dragon to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(30-Oct-2005 at 01:23)

Yeah how can you call American football, when there are all of 3 plays in the game involving the feet, kickoff, punt and field goal.
We need to brainstorm a new name for the sport.

Long Live The Red!!!
View Public Profile Find more posts by shaggers Add shaggers to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(30-Oct-2005 at 01:25)
You play football with your FOOT. American "football" isn't played with your foot, except for the running part.

"If the United States were a 35-year-old man, I think he'd be in a mental institution. Violent tendencies... delusions of grandeur... medicate heavily." - Rick Mercer
"In the United States I have always believed that there was a big difference between Conservative and stupid. Boy is it getting harder to prove that one by the minute." - Rick Mercer
View Public Profile Find more posts by Reichstag Add Reichstag to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(30-Oct-2005 at 17:41)
This is just a thread about american football and what teams people like. It's not about what the real football is, please make another thread if you want to debate it.

PS- woohoo on the win over OSU
(30-Oct-2005 at 19:42)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Downwithgravity)

Here's an interesting statistic:

United States total population: 281,421,906 (as of April 1, 2000).
The aprox. number of people who consider american football real football is 281,421,906.

World total population: 6,082,966,429( as of April 1,2000).
The aprox. number of people who consider soccer (as you americans named it) real football is 5,801,544,523.

For every person who believes american football is real footbal there are 20 who say soccer is real football.

I will not even go into the minor detail that american football is mainly played with hands.. You go ahead and think what you want, because americans are right and the rest of the world is wrong.
Here we go, get ready for the traditional arrogant American answer! *drumroll*

Every American counts as 40 of any other country people! So we still win! Muahahahaha.

Ok I'm just kidding. Honestly I don't really think it matters what it's called.

And forget the Broncos, or whoever the crap else. Pats all the way. Slow start, I'll admit, but we're gonna take the superbowl once again!

WTS. First non-enlgish, then size. It's a good thing you don't get wp for sucking at sig-making. Give me another week and I'll figure it out.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Mizeraaze Add Mizeraaze to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Invictus ViS)
(30-Oct-2005 at 20:32)

Dont watch college football. Look at the NFC east baby

Never Forget

September 11, 2001
View Public Profile Find more posts by Invictus2001 Add Invictus2001 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $0.84
(30-Oct-2005 at 21:23)
Quote:
(Originally posted by Konsepts)

It's not about what the real football is, please make another thread if you want to debate it.
well, you did say american football is the real football, and you're wrong, so he was correcting you as you wrongly stated what you thought was fact.

also, american football-a game played by those who are not man enough to play rugby, the best sport in the world.

View Public Profile Find more posts by fishy1 TA Add fishy1 TA to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(31-Oct-2005 at 03:11)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Downwithgravity)
Way to go with the blame America first mentality

It's actually the Brits at fault for the word soccer.

Once soccer became the word for football, what were we to call the new game which you all know as American football? Hand ball? Already invented. Throwball? Rushball? Tackleball? American Rugby? The only term that was both one word and sounded good was football.

And football actually makes perfect sense when you consider the term can use used for any ball game played on "foot". (As opposed to mounted like polo, etc)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_%28word%29
View Public Profile Find more posts by Royal Assassin3 Add Royal Assassin3 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Invictus ViS)
(31-Oct-2005 at 03:46)

Damn my team really sucked today *cries*

Never Forget

September 11, 2001
View Public Profile Find more posts by Invictus2001 Add Invictus2001 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(31-Oct-2005 at 03:49)

I'm a diehard Florida Gators fan! Props to Texas for their win, and I have to say that Vince Young is one of the best players in the country (not as good as Leinhart or Bush, but good). But the Gators beating UGA....WOOOOOT
View Public Profile Find more posts by The Red Shadow Add The Red Shadow to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(31-Oct-2005 at 03:58)
Quote:
Damn my team really sucked today *cries*
Skins fan or eagles fan?

Skins got completely destroyed by the giants today, great game =P.

Eagles got destroyed by the broncos (w00t, go broncos!)

Quote:
I have to say that Vince Young is one of the best players in the country (not as good as Leinhart or Bush, but good).
I love vince young, he is my hero. I wish I was like him...

And please, enough with the debate over soccer, american football, and the rest of the world's football.
(31-Oct-2005 at 04:18)

the lions lost in OT cuz of a bonehaead pass that was intercepted .... to the friggin bears....arrrrrrgh

"Hmph, you and your third dimension."
"What about it?" "Oh nothing, itís cute. We have five."
"Th-thousand."
"Yes five thousand."
"Donít question it."
View Public Profile Find more posts by Chillin Add Chillin to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(31-Oct-2005 at 04:38)

Quote:
It's actually the Brits at fault for the word soccer.

Once soccer became the word for football, what were we to call the new game which you all know as American football?
Soccer isn't the British word for football. that is just an American misunderstanding.

Soccer comes from a reduction of the phrase 'Association Football' - AsSOCiation football...soccer..get it? The Association is the FA, so soccer refers only to matches organised by the FA. If it isn't association football then it isn't soccer - it is football.

Quote:
The only term that was both one word and sounded good was football.
Nobody minds it being called American Football, it is Konsepts comment that Ameican football that is the 'real football' that has raised objections.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Voice of Reason Add Voice of Reason to your Buddy List Reply with Quote