Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Respectable General Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(02-Feb-2006 at 03:44)

State Of The Union

So the SOTU last night was premiered with the arrest of Cindy Sheehan for disorderly conduct for wearing a t shirt with an anti war message
She was held long enough to clear the areas of reporters, then apologies were given her and her sponsor. It strikes me that this is totally unconstitutional, and shows the legnths that those who protect Bush will go to in suppressing any cretincism.
Quote:
Police removed Sheehan and Beverly Young, the wife of Rep. C.W. "Bill" Young, R-Fla., from the visitors gallery Tuesday night. Sheehan was taken away in handcuffs before Bush's arrival at the Capitol and charged with a misdemeanor, while Young was not arrested.

Capitol Police did not explain why Sheehan was arrested and Young was not. However the unlawful conduct charge against Sheehan was being dropped, according to Deputy House Sergeant of Arms Kerri Hanley. And in a private meeting Wednesday, Capitol Police Chief Terrance Gainer apologized and planned to issue a statement, Rep. Thomas told reporters

Unfortunately I missed the speech. All I can find are commentaries on it; although I expect it will be only a short time before it is posted.
Perhaps some ione can post a link to the transcript when it becomes available.

CBS News has this commentary
Quote:
(CBS/AP) President Bush, politically weakened but determined to set the agenda in this election year, made freeing America from its oil dependency the centerpiece of his State of the Union address Tuesday night.

CBS News senior White House correspondent Bill Plante reports the president, as expected, also talked about the war in Iraq and the threat of nuclear weapons from Iran. But the headline was that the former oil man in the Oval Office said he believes that the United States needs to develop different sources of energy.

"We have a serious problem. America is addicted to oil, which is often imported from unstable parts of the world," he said.

To break the addiction, Mr. Bush announced new research into clean energy, including pollution-free autos and a push to make ethanol

"Breakthroughs on this and other new technologies will help us reach another great goal: to replace more than 75 percent of our oil imports from the Middle East by 2025," Mr. Bush told a joint session of Congress and a national prime-time television audience.

As has become traditional, Mr. Bush was hoping to capitalize on the attention surrounding the year's biggest speech by delivering a recap Wednesday in Nashville, Tenn.

After a tumultuous political year dotted with scandals swirling around his administration and dismal approval ratings, Mr. Bush sought to show Congress and the nation he could still lead forcefully. Seeking to quell the rancorous tone in Washington, Mr. Bush asked legislators to conduct debate in a "civil tone."

Democrats were skeptical. "I hope it's genuine," said Sen. Joe Biden, D-Del. "He says that all the time and then his administration comes out through the vice president, the secretary of defense and others, and says anyone who criticizes the war, they imply they are not patriotic.

"I hope we're beyond that," Biden told CBS News' The Early Show. I think the president is in enough trouble politically that he understands it's time to reach out."

Mr. Bush later switched gears, calling the U.S. economy "healthy and vigorous" and also asked Congress to make his proposed tax cuts permanent. "If we do nothing, American families will face a massive tax increase they do not expect and will not welcome," Mr. Bush said.

To boost competitiveness, the president called for the training of 70,000 high school teachers to lead advanced placement courses in math and science.

"If we ensure that America's children succeed in life, they will ensure that America succeeds in the world," said Mr. Bush.

Members of Congress from both parties applauded this statement on health care: "Keeping America competitive requires affordable health care."

But not all applauded the president's solutions: stronger health savings accounts and medical liability reform.

Democrats in Congress jumped to their feet, laughing and cheering, when the president said, "Congress did not act last year on my proposal to save Social Security."

This year, Mr. Bush simply asked for a commission to study the impact of baby boomer retirements on the federal government.

About half the speech was devoted to the president's arguments for the war in Iraq and his vision of the nation's place in the world.

Mr. Bush rejected calls for the withdrawal of troops from Iraq, saying, "There is no peace in retreat.'' He also slapped at those who complain he took the country to war on the erroneous grounds that Iraq possessed weapons of mass destruction.

"Hindsight alone is not wisdom," Mr. Bush said. "And second-guessing is not a strategy."

Mr. Bush asked Americans to support his fight for freedom abroad and against terrorism at home, saying, "our enemies and our friends can be certain: the United States will not retreat from the world, and we will never surrender to evil."

Administrations officials told CBS News chief White House correspondent John Roberts that the president has said the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks are "tattooed on his brain" and that he will never forget it. Mr. Bush promised not just to continue the hunt for terrorists, but, if anything, to intensify it, Roberts reports.

"Our nation has only one option," Mr. Bush said. "We must keep our word, defeat our enemies and stand behind the American military in this vital mission."

Mr. Bush told the citizens of Iran that America respects them, but he again denounced the nuclear ambitions of their leaders.

"The nations of the world must not permit the Iranian regime to gain nuclear weapons."

The president called on Congress to renew the Patriot Act and again defended eavesdropping on conversations to and from overseas. But he also painted a picture of a nation grown more hopeful, a vision not shared by Democrats.

"Our federal government should serve the American people," said Gov. Tim Kaine of Virginia in the Democratic response. "But that mission is frustrated by this administration's poor choices and bad management."

Kaine said the answer is change. "Democrats are leading that reform effort," he said, "working to restore honesty and openness to our government, working to replace a culture of partisanship and cronyism with an ethic of service and results."

A CBS News poll found that viewers liked what the president had to say. Of those who watched, 77 percent said they approved of the proposals that the president laid out.

But most do not have faith that the president can get the job done.
Just 32 percent believe that he'll be able to accomplish all the goals set out in his speech.

from NRO (just one of several who wrote articles on the speech.)
Quote:
Linda Chavez
President Bush was resolute, unapologetic, at moments even defiant when addressing the war on terror, Iraq, and the Democrats' neo-isolationism. The president did a good job painting his critics as clueless pessimists. One of the best lines in the speech — "hindsight alone is not wisdom and second-guessing is not a strategy" — summed up perfectly why the Democrats have failed to convince most Americans they would keep the country safe in this dangerous, post 9/11 world. He spoke passionately about the need to win in Iraq and to promote freedom and democracy as a bulwark to terrorism. And he made up for his early fumbling in response to the Palestinian elections. Last week, the president seemed not to know how to square his desire to spread democracy in the Middle East with the victory of Hamas in the Palestinian territories. Last night, the president got it right: "Elections are vital, but they are only the beginning. Raising up a democracy requires the rule of law, and protections of minorities, and strong, accountable institutions that last longer than a single vote." The Palestinians have yet to demonstrate they are capable of real democratic government — they are far behind the Iraqis, who in barely a year have written a constitution (albeit not a perfect one) and are learning about power sharing and minority rights. The president also made a spirited defense of his decision to direct the National Security Agency to intercept communications between foreign terrorists and their contacts and agents in the United States. Despite the best efforts of the media and the Democrats in Congress to convince Americans that the president has ordered spying on ordinary citizens, the public isn't buying it.

But as soon as the president turned to domestic issues the speech quickly degenerated. More government-funded research into producing ethanol "not just from corn but from wood chips and stalks of switch grass" will surely go down as one of the lamest ideas ever to come out of a Republican State of the Union address. Prior to the speech, the White House spin machine raised expectations that the president would offer something more specific in the area of health-care reform, but he barely mentioned expanding health savings accounts and offered nothing more than a new commission to address needed changes in Medicare and Medicaid funding. And tax cuts earned only four short sentences out of a 50-minute address. Thank goodness the president had the opportunity to appoint at least two Supreme Court justices. Along with his generally excellent appointments to lower courts, President Bush's only lasting domestic legacy may well rest with the appointment of Justice Alito and Chief Justice Roberts.

— Linda Chavez is chairman of the Center for Equal Opportunity and was director of public liaison in the Reagan White House.
I will post a rebuttal to Bush when one comes up that is usable and does not contain the word idiot or fool.
However my thoughts on some of the points:

If he was committed to breaking the 'addiction of oil' he would start with the military; large expenditures in alternative energy for military transports would provide a boost to manufacturers and a foundation for additional research.

There is no indication that he has been actively pursuing the 9/11 terrorists . In my opinion it has become politically expedient to trot out 9 11 whenever he wants to instill fear.

While Bush may reject calls for withdrawal from Iraq, the Iraq people are becoming more persistent about withdrawal, or at least a plan to implement withdrawal within 2 years. It is not Bush's call to make, but the call of the Iraqi government.

“The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.”
View Public Profile Find more posts by filcher Add filcher to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $9.37
(02-Feb-2006 at 04:51)

You may just want to take a look at this:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/stateofthe...006/index.html

Signature suspended by SM Tengu for violating the forum's rules. [Non-English rule]
View Public Profile Find more posts by Majestic Vraak Add Majestic Vraak to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Former Global Moderator)
Research Group
(02-Feb-2006 at 04:52)

Quote:
So the SOTU last night was premiered with the arrest of Cindy Sheehan for disorderly conduct for wearing a t shirt with an anti war message
She was held long enough to clear the areas of reporters, then apologies were given her and her sponsor. It strikes me that this is totally unconstitutional, and shows the legnths that those who protect Bush will go to in suppressing any cretincism.
Cry me a river. The dumb bitch deserves a lot worse.

Quote:
If he was committed to breaking the 'addiction of oil' he would start with the military; large expenditures in alternative energy for military transports would provide a boost to manufacturers and a foundation for additional research.
How about we get it to work in civilian applications first, THEN military? We need reliable shit more than we need clean shit.

Quote:
There is no indication that he has been actively pursuing the 9/11 terrorists . In my opinion it has become politically expedient to trot out 9 11 whenever he wants to instill fear.
It's a shame you're not privy to weekly updates on what's going on...unless you are and that's how you know this. If you are, maybe you can share some of it?

Overall, the state of the union was pretty predictable and boring, I made it about half way through before I gave up. I'm not big on talk....

The Kiowa swooped and banked hard in front of the car, firing three more shots through the front hood, the universal sign for “stop.”
There are two important rules for sucess in life.
1. Never tell anyone everything you know.
View Public Profile Visit Hawkeyekid's homepage Find more posts by Hawkeyekid Add Hawkeyekid to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(02-Feb-2006 at 05:34)

Re: State Of The Union

Originally Posted by Hawkeyekid:
Cry me a river. The dumb bitch deserves a lot worse.
Her 'crime' was wearing a t shirt. it did not have profanity on it; it had how many dead soldiers have come home from Iraq. I think this is her right in America to express her opinion?

Quote:
How about we get it to work in civilian applications first, THEN military? We need reliable shit more than we need clean shit.
Bullshit, Hawk. There are lots of areas where hybrids could be used, or alternate energy sources. I would think that it would not be possible or acceptable to use solar powered cars or electric trucks on the front lines, but surely in some civilian applications they would be feasible.

Quote:
It's a shame you're not privy to weekly updates on what's going on...unless you are and that's how you know this. If you are, maybe you can share some of it?
Do you forget Bush said he was not concerned about Bin Laden? Do you realise the Taliban and AlQueda are actually growing stronger? Did you know opium production in Afghanistan hit record levels?

""The most important thing is for us to find Osama bin Laden. It is our number one priority and we will not rest until we find him."
- G.W. Bush, 9/13/01

"I want justice...There's an old poster out West, as I recall, that said, 'Wanted: Dead or Alive,'"
- G.W. Bush, 9/17/01, UPI

"...Secondly, he is not escaping us. This is a guy, who, three months ago, was in control of a county [sic]. Now he's maybe in control of a cave. He's on the run. Listen, a while ago I said to the American people, our objective is more than bin Laden. But one of the things for certain is we're going to get him running and keep him running, and bring him to justice. And that's what's happening. He's on the run, if he's running at all. So we don't know whether he's in cave with the door shut, or a cave with the door open -- we just don't know...."
- Bush, in remarks in a Press Availablity with the Press Travel Pool,
The Prairie Chapel Ranch, Crawford TX, 12/28/01, as reported on
official White House site

"I don't know where bin Laden is. I have no idea and really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority."
- G.W. Bush, 3/13/02

"I am truly not that concerned about him."
- G.W. Bush, repsonding to a question about bin Laden's whereabouts,
3/13/02 (The New American, 4/8/02) "

Quote:
Overall, the state of the union was pretty predictable and boring, I made it about half way through before I gave up. I'm not big on talk....
Agree with you there.

“The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.”
View Public Profile Find more posts by filcher Add filcher to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Former Global Moderator)
Research Group
(02-Feb-2006 at 05:56)

Quote:
Her 'crime' was wearing a t shirt. it did not have profanity on it; it had how many dead soldiers have come home from Iraq. I think this is her right in America to express her opinion?
Blatantly disrespectful and a breach of decorum. Sure, not illegal, and probably shouldn't have been removed, but there's a time and a place for things. If she wants to make a statement and camp at his ranch that's her deal, but she's a retard anyway. Her son's prolly rolling in his grave right now.

Quote:
Bullshit, Hawk. There are lots of areas where hybrids could be used, or alternate energy sources. I would think that it would not be possible or acceptable to use solar powered cars or electric trucks on the front lines, but surely in some civilian applications they would be feasible.
Just because it's not on the pointy end of the spear doesn't mean it's not important. Make it practical, THEN implement it, don't try to overhaul the military with something that may not work or may not be as effective as diesel.

Quote:
Do you forget Bush said he was not concerned about Bin Laden? Do you realise the Taliban and AlQueda are actually growing stronger? Did you know opium production in Afghanistan hit record levels?
They might be growing stronger at the footsoldier rank, but we continue to do damage to the top people. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it just fractures the cells. That's a different argument though. We're making progress.

The Kiowa swooped and banked hard in front of the car, firing three more shots through the front hood, the universal sign for “stop.”
There are two important rules for sucess in life.
1. Never tell anyone everything you know.
View Public Profile Visit Hawkeyekid's homepage Find more posts by Hawkeyekid Add Hawkeyekid to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Condemned)
(02-Feb-2006 at 07:50)

Quote:
made freeing America from its oil dependency the centerpiece of his State of the Union address Tuesday night.
I have a feeling a few Saudis are not liking this bit of news.

...Trouble brewing...

Quote:
"Breakthroughs on this and other new technologies will help us reach another great goal: to replace more than 75 percent of our oil imports from the Middle East by 2025," Mr. Bush told a joint session of Congress and a national prime-time television audience
This I like. Cleaner energy. Finally.

Quote:
Blatantly disrespectful and a breach of decorum. Sure, not illegal, and probably shouldn't have been removed, but there's a time and a place for things. If she wants to make a statement and camp at his ranch that's her deal, but she's a retard anyway. Her son's prolly rolling in his grave right now.
She lost her son. Can you really blame her for being pissed at Bush?

I am sure if Bush was ever confronted with any real criticism, he would tremble indignation, then crumble.

This too will pass
View Public Profile Find more posts by Samurai Pooh Add Samurai Pooh to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $2.08
(02-Feb-2006 at 08:58)

Originally Posted by Hawkeyekid:
Are you aware that a lot of technological advances were depeloped for military purposes and later adapted to civilian life? There's the Haber process, which Germany used in WWI when the British cut their sodium nitrate supplies from Chile to be able to keep making explosives. Now it's used for artificial fertilizers. We also have the internet, which the US military started up, but now it's used to connect the whole world together. Saying that something should be developed for civilians first and not military is ridiculous.

Frankly, that and the social security bit were the only parts that I was happy with. I didn't see it - I read it - but the rest seems to be mostly about Iraq and the US's role in spreading democracy.

"Why should I have to work for everything?! It's like saying I don't deserve it!" - Calvin.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Stewie Add Stewie to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(02-Feb-2006 at 09:39)

Originally Posted by Condemned:
I have a feeling a few Saudis are not liking this bit of news.

...Trouble brewing...

This I like. Cleaner energy. Finally
I don't think the Saudis will have to worry:
"One day after President Bush vowed to reduce America's dependence on Middle East oil by cutting imports from there 75 percent by 2025, his energy secretary and national economic adviser said Wednesday that the president didn't mean it literally."
http://www.realcities.com/mld/krwash...hington_nation
View Public Profile Find more posts by Bernel Add Bernel to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $9.31
(02-Feb-2006 at 11:14)

He didn't mean it literally? O.o Which way did he mean it then? Cut it by 75%, figurativly speaking?

My MSN is still [email protected].
My Skype is kapteindynetrekk
View Public Profile Find more posts by Nimon Add Nimon to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Yummie)
(02-Feb-2006 at 12:40)

Originally Posted by filcher:

Why is it not odd you left out where people where pro US troops shirts were also removed? Your posts may mean a little more if you dont constantly give out half truths and guess work.

Civil servants like the police force are over worked and under paid. get over it.

Never Forget

September 11, 2001
View Public Profile Find more posts by Invictus2001 Add Invictus2001 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(02-Feb-2006 at 13:23)

Originally Posted by Yummie:
Why is it not odd you left out where people where pro US troops shirts were also removed? Your posts may mean a little more if you dont constantly give out half truths and guess work.
If you had bothered to read the part filcher quoted you would have seen that it contained the story about Beverly Young who was removed for wearing a pro Bush T-shirt. You would also have understood that while she was removed from the room she wasn't arrested. But then even half truths may be to much to expect from you.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Bernel Add Bernel to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(02-Feb-2006 at 14:46)

So the SOTU last night was premiered with the arrest of Cindy Sheehan for disorderly conduct for wearing a t shirt with an anti war message She was held long enough to clear the areas of reporters, then apologies were given her and her sponsor. It strikes me that this is totally unconstitutional, and shows the legnths that those who protect Bush will go to in suppressing any cretincism.
Filcher, i suppose the "cretincism" is on your part here. You did forget to mention Beverly Young. You also forgot to mention that this happens during almost every SOTU address. There was one person arrested for a banner bashing Clinton during his impeachment proceedings. This is nothing new. The senate gallery has certain rules that everyone must abide. Sheehan broke these rules. She had to leave. The same with Beverly Young and everyone else that has done it in the past.

I will post a rebuttal to Bush when one comes up that is usable and does not contain the word idiot or fool.
However my thoughts on some of the points:

As someone who was in the US military, i can tell you that many of the vehicles are designed to run on multiple fuels. A HMMWV (hummer) will run on damn near any liquid that burns. An Abrams can run on diesel, MOGAS, as well as jet fuel. This is not a new concept. What he was calling for was for research for just this kind of thing. He didn't say "Research for civilian markets" did he? The military has long been the progenitor of many civilian technologies, and i dont see this as being any different.

Were you not one of the people saying "Bush killed more innocents!" when the last Al-Queda official was killed in Pakistan? He has been trying to eliminate them, and libs have been complaining about it. To say that there's "no indication" is ridiculous, especially when you've posted in a forum involving "actively pursuing" the 9/11 terrorists.

While Bush may reject calls for withdrawal from Iraq, the Iraq people are becoming more persistent about withdrawal, or at least a plan to implement withdrawal within 2 years. It is not Bush's call to make, but the call of the Iraqi government.
Yes, and the Iraqi government wants us there until they are ready to completely take over the defense of Iraq. This has been said before, and is nothing new. But if you want to be completely honest, as Commander-in-Chief, it is his call. He could pull forces out right now if he wanted to. He could send more, as well.

Israeli citizens should be killed. - Spectre19

"You know, this election is going to be a referendum on their job-killing policies," he told The Hill. --John Boehner on the 2010 election.

Last edited by chobham, 02-Feb-2006 at 14:48.
View Public Profile Find more posts by chobham Add chobham to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(02-Feb-2006 at 14:51)

Originally Posted by Bernel:
If you had bothered to read the part filcher quoted you would have seen that it contained the story about Beverly Young who was removed for wearing a pro Bush T-shirt. You would also have understood that while she was removed from the room she wasn't arrested. But then even half truths may be to much to expect from you.
If you'd bothered to read Yummie's post, you would have seen that Yummie said she was removed. He didn't say she was arrested. But then, literacy may be too much to expect from you.

I am so very glad that Bush did such a great job on the SOTU. 77% of Americans approved, according to polls, and the libs can find nothing to complain about except Cindy Sheehan being arrested, which is nothing new (for cindy or for the senate gallery). This is a good day.

Israeli citizens should be killed. - Spectre19

"You know, this election is going to be a referendum on their job-killing policies," he told The Hill. --John Boehner on the 2010 election.
View Public Profile Find more posts by chobham Add chobham to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(02-Feb-2006 at 15:20)

Originally Posted by chobham:
If you'd bothered to read Yummie's post, you would have seen that Yummie said she was removed. He didn't say she was arrested. But then, literacy may be too much to expect from you.
Both Barbara Young and Cindy Sheehan were removed, and Sheehan was placed under arrest. The charges were dropped later. Whether this is common practise during government functions or not, it does seem to intrude on the rights of free expression, especially as the charge she was arrested on was disorderly conduct.

Quote:
I am so very glad that Bush did such a great job on the SOTU. 77% of Americans approved, according to polls, and the libs can find nothing to complain about except Cindy Sheehan being arrested, which is nothing new (for cindy or for the senate gallery). This is a good day.
And 32% believe he will not deliver. He is not a popular president, either at home or abroad, and I see little to suggest he knows what he is doing.

Empty Rhetoris from a Vacuous President
Quote:
The Rule of Law – President Bush tonight looked America in the eye, and lied. There is no other way to state his ridiculous position on the NSA spying scandal. Bush stated that previous presidents had used this power but this is patently false. In the past, president’s have used the authority to wiretap FOREIGN individuals, NOT Americans. He further stated that he had the statutory authority to engage in the wiretapping but this is also untrue. He appears to be basing his authority on the Congressional mandate to have him pursue the war on terror. Congresspersons from both sides of the aisle have denounced this notion is absurd. The fact is that Bush was not given any such mandate to bypass congressional oversight and violate the federal law. Lastly, to further justify this illegal activity, the president made the erroneous claim that if this wiretapping had existed prior to 9-11, we would have been able to prevent two of the hijackers and possibly thwarted that horrible day. Playing upon the fear and sadness of a nation, Bush grossly misrepresented the truth on this matter. We knew about these two terrorists prior to 9-11 and it has already been confirmed that it was bureaucratic problems that prevented their detention. Bush himself was also briefed on the al Qaeda’s plans, but went on vacation. The larger issue though on this point as well as all of Bush’s rhetoric in regards to the NSA spy scandal, is that no one is suggesting al Qaeda spying should be shut down, just that Bush should follow the law. Prior to the Bush administration, there were over 19,000 requests to the secret FISA court for wiretaps and only FIVE were denied. This court also allows a president to start a wiretap and seek court approval within 36 hours. No, there is no excuse for why this president chose to violate the federal law and then brag about it to the nation. Faced with the mounting criticism Bush is left with no choice but to wrap up his illegal spying in 9-11 and pray that America falls for it again.

The Economy – Never one to be bothered with facts, the president proceeded to parrot the right-wing talking points about the economy being somehow “robust”. Nonsense. Job growth under Bush remains the lowest since World War II. Bush likes to talk about the tax cuts as being helpful, without addressing the fact that the deficits they create negate any potential gains. Further, they are grossly skewed to the richest Americans, a revival of the failed Reagonomics, or “trickle-down” economics, which Bush’s father once correctly referred to as “voodoo economics.” The fact is that rich people do not become rich by giving their money to the poor. Bush insisted again tonight to make these irresponsible tax cuts permanent, but did not mention that would cost this country 3.4 trillion more dollars over the next ten years. The Urban Institute-Brookings Institution Tax Policy Center has summed up the effect of making these unfair cuts permanent as such, “If Bush’s tax cuts are made permanent, the top one percent of households will gain an average of $71,420 a year when the tax cuts are fully in effect. By contrast, people in the middle of the income spectrum would secure average tax cuts of just $870.” The Bush folks will scream class warfare when presented with these facts. Nonsense again. These are the numbers period, they do not lie. Real people know this economy is not growing. The jobs touted by the president tonight still are not enough stem the tide of a collapsing economy. The jobs created today are not comparable to those created in administration’s past and the cost of healthcare has risen to unaffordable rates. Faced with these sobering facts, the president chose to face America tonight and tell you that you are mistaken; the economy is doing just fine. This despite the poverty rate increasing each year under Bush with 12.7% of the population living in poverty today.

Corruption – The president tonight spoke tough on corruption. Nice sound bites to placate a public he thinks will continue to buy the snake oil he sells. The facts are that his administration has repeatedly stalled investigations into the Katrina aftermath, has not cooperated with the Plamegate CIA leak scandal, and not been forthcoming about his own involvement with disgraced lobbyist Jack Abramoff. There is a culture of corruption in the Republican Party and Bush is the leader of that culture. His regime has seen cronyism at nauseating levels, which directly resulted in the Katrina aftermath and the loss of life that ensued. Again, it is about saying the right things for the camera, and then having Scott McClellan say “no comment” the next day. America is weary of this nonsense.

Education – Only this president would have the hubris to trumpet his commitment to education only three weeks after he sliced 14 billion from Pell Grants and has devastated the federal student loan program. You must realize that when President Bush brags about cutting programs, these are often vital services that the neediest in this country need. There are real people behind the cuts. His No Child Left Behind initiative has been massively under-funded, leading most localities to speak out against it. This president remains a massive failure on education. His fiscal year 2006 budget called for the first reduction in education spending in a decade.

There were so many other issues tonight the president was misleading on. As well as issues not even addressed like the environment and the growing problems with his failed Medicare prescription drug catastrophe. The numbers however, bear out what this president stands for. In dealing with his war and national security President Bush used the word “terror” nineteen times and “democracy” only three times. A telling statistic for the president who sells himself as a champion of democracy, but only sells us fear. What I am left with however to truly capture this administration is what happened before the president walked into the room. Cindy Sheehan was arrested and removed from the gallery in handcuffs. Cindy Sheehan, who gave the life of her son to this country and was an invited guest of her local Congresswoman, was dragged out of the people’s house in chains. Why? Because she had the temerity to wear a tee shirt that read, “2245, How Many More?” The shirt referenced the amount of dead American soldiers in Iraq. When smiling pretty for the cameras, Bush can’t allow the truth to interfere with the rhetoric of a vacuous presidency that no longer has the credibility to sell us the snake oil we are no longer buying. Don’t hold him to his word America, hold him to his actions.

(02-Feb-2006 at 17:20)

This Sheehan thing during the state of the union address is utterly ridiculous. As if it is some conspiracy to silence Anti-Bush people. That is clearly not the case as people (Ms. Young) wearing Pro-Bush slogans on their t-shirts were removed as well. But leave it to liberals to embrace victim hood make it sound like they are being singled out for oppression.

This is nothing new people. They never allow people to wear political slogans on their shirts in the congress gallery. Sheehan was asked to cover it up or change shirts and she refused, hence her treatment. Young left when asked to cover her shirt, hence no additional action was taken against her. There are strict rules regulating what is tolerated in the Congress and they are not unconstitutional. Just ask you can't yell fire in a movie theater you can't make political statements in the Gallery.

Imagine the abuses possible if people could wear what they want up there. Lobbyists could fill the galleries with people wearing Support Bill XYZ 24/7 and thus gain additional undue influence. People could wear distracting T-shirts that might cause speakers to stumble in their speech and look like a fool on National television.

And no one should be supporting unlimited free speech up there. Otherwise people could obstruct the business of congress with chanting and yelling.

It is a privilege to watch the state of the union from the Congressional gallery, not a right. Arresting people for such distruptions is not unprecidented.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Royal Assassin3 Add Royal Assassin3 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(02-Feb-2006 at 17:31)

I find it funny that he is worried about human-animal hybrids. Also, he said "cut dependence on foreign oil by 2025". Meaning he doesn't have to really concern himself with it, he can just pass the responsibility onto the next president, who won't have to do jack shit because he didn't make that promise, and it will probably never get down. Secondly, he didn't say anything about cutting dependence on native oil, ie, alaska. And his approval rating going up doesn't mean jack, I'm guessing that every president has seen a small jump in popularity after giving a SOTU address, or those since its conception.

And thirdly I think Jon Stewart is right, we, the American people are being treated like 5 year olds by this administration.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Worstoe Add Worstoe to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(02-Feb-2006 at 18:09)

Originally Posted by Worstoe:
I find it funny that he is worried about human-animal hybrids.
People suffering from diabetes may not be as amused, at least those who think that Bush really means what he says. Insulin is manufactured using bacteria with inserted human DNA.
(Posted as Condemned)
(02-Feb-2006 at 21:24)

Quote:
I don't think the Saudis will have to worry:
"One day after President Bush vowed to reduce America's dependence on Middle East oil by cutting imports from there 75 percent by 2025, his energy secretary and national economic adviser said Wednesday that the president didn't mean it literally."
What the hell...

How could you NOT take that literally? are we idiots or something?

That was a blatant lie then, but thats to be expected from Bush.

This too will pass
View Public Profile Find more posts by Samurai Pooh Add Samurai Pooh to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Yummie)
(02-Feb-2006 at 22:10)

Originally Posted by Royal Assassin3:
This Sheehan thing during the state of the union address is utterly ridiculous. As if it is some conspiracy to silence Anti-Bush people. That is clearly not the case as people (Ms. Young) wearing Pro-Bush slogans on their t-shirts were removed as well. But leave it to liberals to embrace victim hood make it sound like they are being singled out for oppression.

This is nothing new people. They never allow people to wear political slogans on their shirts in the congress gallery. Sheehan was asked to cover it up or change shirts and she refused, hence her treatment. Young left when asked to cover her shirt, hence no additional action was taken against her. There are strict rules regulating what is tolerated in the Congress and they are not unconstitutional. Just ask you can't yell fire in a movie theater you can't make political statements in the Gallery.

Imagine the abuses possible if people could wear what they want up there. Lobbyists could fill the galleries with people wearing Support Bill XYZ 24/7 and thus gain additional undue influence. People could wear distracting T-shirts that might cause speakers to stumble in their speech and look like a fool on National television.

And no one should be supporting unlimited free speech up there. Otherwise people could obstruct the business of congress with chanting and yelling.

It is a privilege to watch the state of the union from the Congressional gallery, not a right. Arresting people for such distruptions is not unprecidented.

Good even handed post. Maybe the first poster can learn from this. Perhaps others should learn from this...

Never Forget

September 11, 2001
View Public Profile Find more posts by Invictus2001 Add Invictus2001 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $2.08
(03-Feb-2006 at 02:00)

Originally Posted by Yummie:
Good even handed post. Maybe the first poster can learn from this. Perhaps others should learn from this...
The difference comes in the arrest and the not arrest. It doesn't matter under which circunstances they left the room (voluntarely or against their will) neither should be arrested. Having said that, I believe both were innapropriate. There are times for everything, and the State of the Union is not the time for anti-war activism (or pro-war activism, for that matter). The arrest is what enrages me. And by "enrage" I mean bother, because I'd hold the record for "youngest human being with a heart attack" if I got pissed every time something like this happened.

"Why should I have to work for everything?! It's like saying I don't deserve it!" - Calvin.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Stewie Add Stewie to your Buddy List Reply with Quote