Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Polls Heaven

View Poll Results: Do You Vote?
No -- I'm not old enough 1 3.45%
No -- I'm not eligible (for reasons other than age) 0 0%
No 5 17.24%
Less than half of the time 1 3.45%
Half of the time 2 6.90%
More than half of the time 3 10.34%
Always -- It's mandatory where I live 3 10.34%
Always -- Even though it isn't mandatory 14 48.28%
Who voted? Voters: 29
You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
Donated $5.36
(26-Jan-2011 at 22:00)

Do You Vote?

It's a simple question, and I assume the average age around here these days is well above the voting age.

No Comment

Last edited by BrandonC, 26-Jan-2011 at 22:03.
View Public Profile Find more posts by BrandonC Add BrandonC to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(26-Jan-2011 at 22:24)

Always, even though it isn't mandatory.

If you don't vote you have less right to complain (though I disagree with the people saying 'no right to complain').
And I like my complaining

---
--

(Hey Hopey!)
View Public Profile Find more posts by Lunor Add Lunor to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(27-Jan-2011 at 04:03)

Nope, I've never voted ... I'm not even registered vote. Thus far in my life, I haven't come across a politician who I believe is worth my vote - so I see no need to even register. Besides, personally, I feel it's more honorable to remain silent due to being unregistered than to register, never vote and complain all the time about the government.

I don't complain about the state of the world (or America) ... I believe I have no right to voice my opinion on any political matter since I'm not a registered voter. I have lived my life, day in - day out, with no government interference ... and until I feel the government is interfering with my life, I see no reason to interject my own opinions. Not that my vote would really amount to anything.

Sure, my vote actually matters (in some extremely minute way) in local, state elections and congressional elections ... but my vote means absolutely nothing when it comes to, arguably, the most important election: the presidential election. The electoral college nullifies any significance my vote may actually have. Sure, 100+ years ago the electoral college was useful ... due to technological limitations, the average American wasn't properly informed of all issues related to the candidates. So a body of learned individuals who were abreast of the candidates was needed so that the best candidate for the times could be elected. But today, the average person knows more than enough to make an informed vote ... the electoral college is an archaic establishment which should be abolished.

Sorry, went on a bit of a tangent there.

"Well played, Roxtin. You are now officially the God of flying under the radar " ~MeliHeartsCloud from The Mafia of Zelda: Twilight princess
View Public Profile Visit Roxtin's homepage Find more posts by Roxtin Add Roxtin to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(27-Jan-2011 at 04:34)

Federal elections.

If all else fails, call someone a troll.
that can be fixed... / Ć
View Public Profile Find more posts by Greeney Add Greeney to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(27-Jan-2011 at 17:15)

I havent voted before now because I didn't really see the point. BUT over the last year or two as my country descends into chaos i find myself drawn into politics more and more. I also find it very hard not to critisize the current bunch of elected idiots we have in office....

Therefore ill be voting for the first time in the upcoming election scheduled for late Feb/Early March.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Celtic22 Add Celtic22 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $4.24
(03-Feb-2011 at 23:26)

It's mandatory to vote in Australia, and I do vote. Been wanting to vote since I was about 12 years old.

However, this isn't the case amongst most Australians - many adolescents and teenagers end up just donkey voting (just turning up to the ballot box for the sake of it, and not writing anything on the ballot etc). [That isn't to say that they're the only age category that donkey vote, but it's more rife amongst them than others].

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege!
Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia - The Fear of Long Words
View Public Profile Find more posts by Alexstrasza Add Alexstrasza to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(13-Feb-2011 at 07:01)

Re: Do You Vote?

Originally Posted by Roxtin: View Post
Nope, I've never voted ... I'm not even registered vote. Thus far in my life, I haven't come across a politician who I believe is worth my vote - so I see no need to even register. Besides, personally, I feel it's more honorable to remain silent due to being unregistered than to register, never vote and complain all the time about the government.

I don't complain about the state of the world (or America) ... I believe I have no right to voice my opinion on any political matter since I'm not a registered voter. I have lived my life, day in - day out, with no government interference ... and until I feel the government is interfering with my life, I see no reason to interject my own opinions. Not that my vote would really amount to anything.

Sure, my vote actually matters (in some extremely minute way) in local, state elections and congressional elections ... but my vote means absolutely nothing when it comes to, arguably, the most important election: the presidential election. The electoral college nullifies any significance my vote may actually have. Sure, 100+ years ago the electoral college was useful ... due to technological limitations, the average American wasn't properly informed of all issues related to the candidates. So a body of learned individuals who were abreast of the candidates was needed so that the best candidate for the times could be elected. But today, the average person knows more than enough to make an informed vote ... the electoral college is an archaic establishment which should be abolished.

Sorry, went on a bit of a tangent there.
I feel the same way as you do about this.

“Tolerance is the virtue of men who no longer believe in anything, tolerance is for the weak and oppressed"
View Public Profile Find more posts by Bierkrug Add Bierkrug to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(13-Feb-2011 at 20:17)

I'm only going to vote in 2012 if Tina Fey is running as Sarah Palin

I read that quote on a blog I follow, and it pretty much summed up my feelings. I don't want to vote for a republican because they're all promising to make gay marriage illegal, and to repeal healthcare. If that gets repealed I'll be without health insurance, which is a scary though indeed.

I am the darkness in your life, I am the light
I am the end of your tunnel, I am the beginning of your future
I am the end, your end. I am the path to your salvation.

Your bane, or your hope. You decide.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Brightbane Add Brightbane to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Research Group
Donated $112.99
(14-Feb-2011 at 17:09)

I can, but am not voting because the NDP in my riding is an asshole.
View Public Profile Find more posts by advocatus Add advocatus to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(03-Mar-2011 at 09:01)

Democarcy is a joke. It just allows those with big money to make you think that you have some say in your govenment.

“Tolerance is the virtue of men who no longer believe in anything, tolerance is for the weak and oppressed"
View Public Profile Find more posts by Bierkrug Add Bierkrug to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(18-Mar-2011 at 04:46)

Originally Posted by Alexstrasza: View Post
It's mandatory to vote in Australia, and I do vote. Been wanting to vote since I was about 12 years old.

However, this isn't the case amongst most Australians - many adolescents and teenagers end up just donkey voting (just turning up to the ballot box for the sake of it, and not writing anything on the ballot etc). [That isn't to say that they're the only age category that donkey vote, but it's more rife amongst them than others].
Tat is also because your family have been into politics for a long time.

----------------------------------------
})i({~flutterby~ })i({

Alliance Rankings Administration
irc.Utonet.org #alliancerankings
View Public Profile Visit mdmflutterby's homepage Find more posts by mdmflutterby Add mdmflutterby to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
Research Group
Donated $25.30
(18-Mar-2011 at 07:55)

I dont vote
Choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"
R.I.P. InJustice!
Hit me up on Facebook

EWE-tah
View Public Profile Find more posts by Saint Sinner Add Saint Sinner to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $50.00
(26-Mar-2011 at 20:16)

Originally Posted by Saint Sinner: View Post
I dont vote
Choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil
Then choose a greater evil !

Cthulhu for President !

This is what every PvP argument boils down to:
Dear Devs:
Rock is overpowered, please nerf. Paper is fine.
Yours, Scissors

Last edited by Grashnak, 26-Mar-2011 at 20:17.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Grashnak Add Grashnak to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
Research Group
Donated $25.30
(01-Apr-2011 at 07:31)

Originally Posted by Grashnak: View Post
Then choose a greater evil !

Cthulhu for President !
well played sir ... well played

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"
R.I.P. InJustice!
Hit me up on Facebook

EWE-tah
View Public Profile Find more posts by Saint Sinner Add Saint Sinner to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(29-Apr-2011 at 05:58)

I voted No ... but I do sometimes vote.

The reason I voted No in this poll is there is a glitch in the register where I initially enrolled and even if I do vote its not counted been going on for state and federal elections for a long time now.

I'm not the only one with this issue I get to catch up with the others who are my age that have the same issue every three to four years and see how they and their family's are at the polling booth and then argue with the fresh young thing that doesn't understand.

Personally I prefer not to vote I don't think if I could my vote would count for anything I don't believe in modern democracy ....

Fear is the foundation of most governments
Five years of banning
04-Dec-2002 Starfriend Spamming
11-Dec-2007 Saint Sinner Off-Topic Post
Happy Wooden anniversary
View Public Profile Find more posts by HarleyQuinnROX Add HarleyQuinnROX to your Buddy List Reply with Quote