Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Respectable General Discussions > Religious Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
Old lmc
(18-May-2008 at 01:29)

Re: Christians make bad athletes

Originally Posted by Michael1: View Post
History is not exactly littered with atheists willing to die for their cause. Maybe theists do have an advantage in that they are willing to fight to the death while atheists just quit when they no longer perceive it to be in their best interests.

Yep, the premise of this thread is all wrong. Atheists are much more inclined to be quitters.
I wonder where you get that idea from? Certainly not from any evaluation of factual evidence.

From the countless numbers who were done away with as heretics over the centuries when all they had to do was keep their heads down to the millions who died in the 20th century in the Russian Revolution, the Spanish Civil War and the Great Patriotic War against the Nazis (just the biggies), atheists have proved to have at least as strong an inclination towards getting themselves killed as believers in Zeus, Odin, Ahura Mazda or whatever.

Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others.

Groucho Marx
http://tangenitaldrunkeness.blogspot...ac22c48044bdd8
View Public Profile Visit lmc's homepage Find more posts by lmc Add lmc to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(24-May-2008 at 08:05)
I don't see how religious affiliation (or lack thereof) correlates with athletic prowess. Mental toughness combined with the number of fast-twitch muscle fibres, technical skill, and other physical traits (such as gait, bone deformities, etc) determine the victor of a race.

It's more than likely that poor Brian, despite his hard training, will never amount to anything more than a good sprinter, owing to his musculature, bone structure, and other technical traits that affect how fast his swing speed is, the amount of time it takes him to be in position for the next swing, and how much energy is transferred. Considering swing time at top speed remains steady within a 0.37 - 0.40 second range regardless of whether one is an slow runner or an olympic sprinter, his deficiency is likely down to poor energy transfer, which results in fewer swings over the course of the same distance.

It's more than likely that his opponent, Tim, was both genetically and technically superior, which would account for his better performance. Regardless of how "possessed" he might be, as you so eloquently put it, Gotterdammerung, it's highly unlikely he had a swing time that was drastically superior to Brian's, so the only difference would be down to having the mental fortitude to hit the ground hard with every step, thus increasing the amount of elastic rebound and decreasing the time between swings.

Religious affiliation has nothing to do with mental fortitude, nor does it have anything to do with the outcome of this race. Brian can thank his lesser technique or inferior genetic qualities for his second place finish, not his God.

Deliverance | IRC: #deliverance

Why should I blame her that she filled my day/With misery, or that she would of late/Have taught ignorant men most violent ways
View Public Profile Find more posts by Brend Add Brend to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(28-May-2008 at 21:58)

Re: Christians make bad athletes

Originally Posted by Gotterdammerung: View Post

My Question: is it ever possible for any 'turn the other cheek' philosophy to succeed in the physical world?

Now this was what the post was all about...THE question.

Is it possible? Of course it is possible, but not very likely.

The "world" system is not there to reward nice people. The world praises #1 and trashes everything else. It is all about power, pride, and success.

However the "world's" view of success SHOULD be different than that of a follower of Christ.

For a Christian , success means something completely different. It is a different race to a different destination.

As the Apostle Paul wrote:
"To live is Christ, to die is gain" ...pure insanity from a worldly perspective. Yet he is considered one of the (if not THE) greatest evangelists ever in the history of mankind.

He also described the Christian's journey as a race and "worldly" things as encumbrances...

Hebrews 12:1
"Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset [us], and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,"

(I am attributing this to Paul, but it is not written in scripture who the author of HEBREWS was. Some say Apollos, but that's not the point)

and in the letter to Timothy:
1 Timothy 4:7,8
"...and exercise thyself [rather] unto godliness.
For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come. "

so it is a matter of perspective...

Can a Christian be competitive whilst being loving and forgiving? Yes
Does being a Christian handicap you in a competition? No

Is athletic competition/work/school or any other worldly activity supposed to over-rule or prevent a Christian from being obedient to the calling of Christ on their lives? God forbid.

Note: online bible excerpts used courtesy of blueletterbible.org
View Public Profile Find more posts by chal Add chal to your Buddy List Reply with Quote