Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > Utopia Discussions > Utopia Suggestions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
Donated $1.24
(12-Jun-2002 at 19:24)

exclamation mark Grabs based on NW?

I know that this could stir up a lot of controversy (probably against me), but I would like to propose a new system of land grabs.

Instead of being based on land (because it's the skilled, courageous, or peaceful players who usually end up with a lot of land), it could be based on relative networth. It's cowardly for a 200,000 NW province to attack one with 110,000, even if their land is the same.

In the case of a traditional march (and conquest would work similarly too), the networth of the attacker and defender would be compared to each other. Based on the ratio, the attacker would receive a percentage of the defender's land. For example, if the net worths were even, the successful attack would grab 10% of the defender's land. Of course, if the defending province had forts or was hit recently, the amount would be reduced. If the attacker's NW was higher, the amount grabbed could be solved by logarithm. At 50% times as high as the defender, the amount grabbed would be halved. At 100% higher, it would be divided by 4. At 150% higher, it would be divided by 8, and so on. This should reduce the effectiveness of attacking someone who has earned lots of land but is still much weaker than the attacker.

If the attacker's net worth is smaller, then the amount grabbed would be figured out by what is basically the same logarithm in reverse. At half the attacker's NW, the land grabbed would be 50% higher (for a total of 150% of the land that would be grabbed if the defender's NW was equal to the attacker's). At one quarter of the defender's NW, the land grabbed would be 100% higher. At one eighth of the defender's NW, the land grabbed would be 150% higher, and so on. This should effctively reduce the benefits of a small province continuously pestering someone with their troops out.

Maybe honor could also be found in a similar manner. Anyhow, I think that this change could make Utopia a more fun, balanced, and fair place.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Wavelength Add Wavelength to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(12-Jun-2002 at 19:40)
I think it should stay as it is, people with low NW should be attacked by anyone, it is their fault for not managing their land very well.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Ponbow Add Ponbow to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $2.80
(13-Jun-2002 at 01:36)
Why should it be based on NW? Land is much more accurate way of describing the strength of a province. Or rather, potential strength. If you can't utilize your land, it's your fault and the one who attacked you shouldn't be penalised.

Avians would love this though. Go with all specs and everyone would have inflated NW compared to yours. You could hit (non-Avian) people half your size in land and still get good gains.

--Lithrian
"The universe has existed for 15 billion years.
It won't implode just because I don't care for a minute"
View Public Profile Visit Lithrian's homepage Find more posts by Lithrian Add Lithrian to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $1.24
(13-Jun-2002 at 01:54)

well hardly. if an avian were to attack someone their size in nw but only half their size in land, they'd only get about 10% of the opposing prov.'s land (at most), which wan't high to start with, so it's still better to attack a landfat province, except that looking for a landfat prov isn't the only factor anymore.

and i think that nw is the best way to determine a prov's military power, certainly not land. nw is determined by everything a prov has, from gold coins to elite units, and illustrates their total overall power. land just reflects how much the province explored or how much they picked on OTHER landfat provinces... so why would that be the criteria for a land grab?!?
View Public Profile Find more posts by Wavelength Add Wavelength to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $2.80
(13-Jun-2002 at 02:17)
"if an avian were to attack someone their size in nw but only half their size in land, they'd only get about 10% of the opposing prov.'s land (at most), which wan't high to start with, so it's still better to attack a landfat province, except that looking for a landfat prov isn't the only factor anymore."

That 10% land is a lot compared to the [insert small number]% a province of another race would get if he/she did the same thing. If you can bottomfeed, you can get more DPA, which means you won't be hit. You can grow a lot faster.

"...illustrates their total overall power."

Does it? NW is *very* inaccurate. An Avian can have more offense/defense and thieves/wizards than another province, and still have less NW because they use specs.

"land just reflects how much the province explored or how much they picked on OTHER landfat provinces"

Yes. But this is what your power (and NW) is based on anyway. More land = more power/NW.

"so why would that be the criteria for a land grab?!?"

Because an acre is a standard unit. NW vary, but it's always based on land. In other words, NW is a twisted version of land, and going directly to the source (land) will be much more accurate.

--Lithrian

Last edited by Lithrian, 13-Jun-2002 at 02:19.
View Public Profile Visit Lithrian's homepage Find more posts by Lithrian Add Lithrian to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $1.24
(14-Jun-2002 at 00:45)

now that i think about it, i dont see why this would help avians at all! their specs are worth more nw than other specs, so their nw would rise. of course their LAND doesn't rise...
Donated $2.80
(14-Jun-2002 at 02:41)
Their NW is still lower.

Anyhow, why should people who can't manage their land be rewarded? If I'm sadly underdefended (low NW), why should others be penalised for attacking me?

--Lithrian
(14-Jun-2002 at 19:06)
Please no...

If i would be a nOOb that in some way would have 1000 acres, but didn't build anything. It would be hard to take a lot my land.

You would also gain more land from provinces that studied a lot of science.
View Public Profile Find more posts by SuperRat Add SuperRat to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $1.24
(14-Jun-2002 at 22:58)

Well good point on the newbies, but still, science does make you stronger (and thus harder to defeat), and also being overdefended (high dpa) makes someone harder to defeat, so why shouldn't someone be rewarded with a higher land grab against these people?

i know that this makes people that have played well a little bit more prone to a big grab, but keep in mind that people with high land have generally also played well and are currently susceptable to a big land grab.

maybe what should really be in question is the nw formula???
Donated $2.80
(14-Jun-2002 at 23:38)
"...so why shouldn't someone be rewarded with a higher land grab against these people?"

Because while they may be harder to defeat, it took them a great deal of work to get there. You're penalizing people for building a good province and managing resources.

--Lithrian
(User is Banned)
(18-Jun-2002 at 06:15)
Why try and fix something that is not broken
View Public Profile Visit Karveck's homepage Find more posts by Karveck Add Karveck to your Buddy List Reply with Quote