Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Respectable General Discussions > Religious Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(Posted as Kyrina)
(09-Feb-2003 at 07:52)

I just can't understand why people can't stay on topic. For some reason, every thread that is made on a specific religion topic, tends to always turn into a debate about whether or not there is a God. Can't we have threads stay on topic, honestly.

I've read just about every post in here and I've found only a few that actually responded to my initial post. Why's that?

LVL 80 Draenei Shaman
Alliance FTW!!!
View Public Profile Find more posts by Tari Add Tari to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(10-Feb-2003 at 00:27)

Here's a response to the initial post.

I am not an atheist because it is an 'excuse', I am an atheist because I don't believe any of that hogwash.
And since nobody forced it down my throat when I was a kid, I have an objective view of things.

I understand that some people need religion to play a role in their lives, for a sense of community and belonging and a set of moral guidance values.

But for me, atheism is no excuse, just logic.

"America was designed by genuises so that it could be operated by idiots."
View Public Profile Visit DavidFF7's homepage Find more posts by DavidFF7 Add DavidFF7 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Kyrina)
(10-Feb-2003 at 06:08)

Thanks David, you have always been one that I enjoyed reading their post.

LVL 80 Draenei Shaman
Alliance FTW!!!
View Public Profile Find more posts by Tari Add Tari to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Apr-2003 at 19:57)
lazy smile

i'm an athiest, not as an excuse, but as a kid religion was crammed down my throat, when i got older, i started looking at things logically, and realized nothing i learned in church or read in the bible ever made any sense to me, thats why i believe there is no god , no devil , no heaven , no hell , none of that stuff...

i also see hell as a way to scare people into doing what you want, you should always remember something, religion was the first form of government,(control)...thats all

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=government

View Public Profile Find more posts by sand84 Add sand84 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Black Fighter)
(27-Apr-2003 at 11:39)

I'm an atheist and in that description. I believe éverything can be explained through science, and there is no soul or higher being, afterlife or whatever.

I do have problems with some parts of the description though.

I do know how to deal with evil for instance. And it is not my goal to proove god does not excist...there are alot of people who are silly enough to believe in a god, let them proove their right. I do like arguing with christians, just because I know I'm right...not because it is my goal god does not excist.

And um...what trick? Sure we can see the wind! You can measure it right? You can explain it, feel it (réally feel it, not this 'I feel god in my soul' blabla...) etcetera.

And...what effects? All of nature : evolution. No god needed to explain it anymore, humanity is past gods.
View Public Profile Visit Apeiron's homepage Find more posts by Apeiron Add Apeiron to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(27-Apr-2003 at 12:06)
I personally feel being an Atheist is not a excuse.
And whether or not you voice out in been a Atheist.
What i like to see is that life is not pre-determined by a superior being, or is life fate?

It will only be a excuse if you try and avoid your religionous life to gain those friend that are "Cool".
I personally do not stand a firm believe in a God or not a God, It just what shows up to me. People who believe in God are the people who feel, it is not solid concrete, so that's why those people who feel there's a God and believes in it, are not true believers of whatever religion they believe in.

Snowforever or a.k.a ASG03
View Public Profile Find more posts by snowforever27 Add snowforever27 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(27-Apr-2003 at 14:11)

Re: True Atheist or just an Excuse?

Quote:
(Originally posted by Kyrina)
All of this information was taken from the book. I'd like to know your thoughts and to see if you are truely an Atheist.
Im just an excuse, really. I think I need to be saved.

"Observers worldwide have been expressing great pity for the people of Gaza [...] This pity may be a natural emotional reaction, yet it is unethical and immoral." - Adi Dvir, Ynetnews editor
View Public Profile Find more posts by Peppie Add Peppie to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(28-Apr-2003 at 01:51)

what is Atheist besides it being a religion?
i meen what does an Atheist believe in and stuff of that sort...
View Public Profile Find more posts by Vendeelian Add Vendeelian to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(28-Apr-2003 at 07:15)
Quote:
Quote:
there is no god , no devil , no heaven , no hell , none of that stuff...
View Public Profile Find more posts by sand84 Add sand84 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(28-Apr-2003 at 09:09)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Vendeelian)

Vendeelian, atheism is not a religion, don't get me started

"Observers worldwide have been expressing great pity for the people of Gaza [...] This pity may be a natural emotional reaction, yet it is unethical and immoral." - Adi Dvir, Ynetnews editor
View Public Profile Find more posts by Peppie Add Peppie to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(28-Apr-2003 at 22:19)

please dont! *shrivels up*
i dont like reading a lot after school
View Public Profile Find more posts by Vendeelian Add Vendeelian to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(28-Apr-2003 at 22:38)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Vendeelian)

please dont! *shrivels up*
i dont like reading a lot after school
Phew

To make sure, do you *still* think atheism is a religion after my persuasive arguments? :P

(Posted as MagusofLight)
(28-Apr-2003 at 22:54)

Quote:
they also want to get rid of all organized religion
whoa! sounds like atheists are real asses then. They claim they hate it when christians try to convert them, but this says they try to the same!

hypocrites.

This too will pass
View Public Profile Find more posts by Samurai Pooh Add Samurai Pooh to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(29-Apr-2003 at 00:32)

Quote:
(Originally posted by MagusofLight)

whoa! sounds like atheists are real asses then. They claim they hate it when christians try to convert them, but this says they try to the same!

hypocrites.
There's belief, and there's religion. Go on, believe in your God, see if we care.

It starts to be a problem when believers pack together in Churches and gain power, and turn the Bible and whatnot to their advantage, to gain more power. I believe over the ages the religion of Christianity has done far more harm than goodness.

In any way, I feel organized religion must be banned, but I don't feel like imposing my views on others. To get rid of an organisation doesn't mean to convert its members.

(29-Apr-2003 at 03:24)

I'll reply to the original point (# added by me to ease the reading of my reply)

Quote:
1.Morals come from humanity, not from any religious code. They rely on communities to come up with their own moral code.

2.Evidence about the world and the universe is to be gained through science. They promote science and seek to aid it in any way possible. Science cannot prove the existence of God. So, there is no God.

3.Freedom from Religion: Atheists believe that religion imposes too many restrictions on humanity. Since they're all about freedom, atheists not only reject the concept of God, they also want to get rid of all organized religion.

4.Freedome of Information: Atheists believe that more mistakes are made from ignorance than anything else. So, they're all for people of every age having free access to all kinds of information. For example, they're into minors having complete access to information about sex so they can learn about it before they make mistakes.

5.The cosmos is all there is. It is eternal and self-sustaining.

6.Evil is a reality, a necessary part of human evolution, but atheists don't know how to deal with it.

7.Man does not have an immortal soul.
I'm atheist and well I believe most of these.

1. For the moral code thing, I completely agree. It's illegal to kill because 99% of the people think it hsould be that way for eg. it's not because a book said "Thou shall not kill" We comes up with laws after democratic (well, in the western wold anyway ) debates. Use your logic while letting some place to your emotions and most of the time you will act in a good way

2. Right now, science is indeed the best way we have to learn truths about the world. Science can proove things behind the shadow of a doubt (eg: gravity law). it uses logical proofs than no one can deny, if they're well done (can you seriously deny than the Earth is round for instance? ) However, it didnt found a way (yet) to either proove or disproove God existence.

3. Getting rid of organised religion would go AGAINST freedom, didint it? Thats a point im against People are free to believe or not believe. The only thing I want is to not be forced to believe. I wont force anyone to become atheist either. I'm all for freedom, as long as it dont hurt anyone else I'm also all for seperation of church and state

4. Amen to that! Only a free flow of information can make democracy go round and help us to make new discoveries and avoiding mistakes. If we tel lyou the bad points of drugs and still do them... YOUR problem! Also, a free media keep the governement from doing anythign he want and getting away with it.

5. I must admit than this point confuse me I'll abstain from commenting on it

6. I know how to deal with evil : common sense and some good old fashioned logic. Eg, my common sense tell me than a pedophile is a poor bastad who dont deserve any sympathy and who should be kept away from any children. It also tells me than Kim Jong-Il shouldnt be pissed, considerign he got nukes and wont be afraid to use them.

7. Sounds true to me, but we have no way to proove it.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. - American Declaration of Independance, July 4th, 1776
View Public Profile Find more posts by Jean831112 Add Jean831112 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(01-May-2003 at 12:57)
Simplest explanation: i dont believe in any god becuase i havent seen evidence that he exists. You don't believe in my flying pink elephant (i hope) because you havent got evidence he exists. There is comparable evidance to support any god, yet they cannot all exist. Therefore, i will abstain my judgement on the existance of various deities until more evidence appears.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Rabbousamai Add Rabbousamai to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(03-May-2003 at 10:08)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Rabbousamai)

Simplest explanation: i dont believe in any god becuase i havent seen evidence that he exists. You don't believe in my flying pink elephant (i hope) because you havent got evidence he exists. There is comparable evidance to support any god, yet they cannot all exist. Therefore, i will abstain my judgement on the existance of various deities until more evidence appears.
There's more reason to believe a God exists than a pink fluffy elephant (Lucy Doosh, she has been determined before) because so many cultures employ deities and so many people believe in them. Except for some strange individuals on this forum no-one believes in pink fluffy airborn elephants, so there's more reason to believe in a God. Also, one can argue "there are so many gods, and every culture thinks it is the Righteous one, so theres only one conclusion: no culture has the Right God." But you can also see it from a point where all cultures believe in a God, but they just have different interpretations on the One and Only True God. Why each major religion *still* maintains that they believe in the One True God strikes me as odd, but then again, the whole concept of religion strikes me as odd.

However, this isnt sufficient "evidence" for me. The way I see it deities have been created for a reason, to explain stuff. And I still think theyre around for that reason. We need coffee to make/keep us awake, we need cigarettes and weed to calm ourselves down, we need religion to explain to us stuff we cant comprehend (Q: Why did my little brother died? A: because his death is part of God's Eternal Plan. Comments: oh, that eases the pain, because God is Good and I'm sure She has Her reasons.)

I can see God exists on the mental level, on the level of society, but I can't see God existing as a (semi-)physical *real* entity affecting the physical world around us.

(03-May-2003 at 13:22)
I suppose there is more reason, as in motivation...After all, my pink fluffy elephant is pretty useless and isnt likely to influence your life very much. Your probably right...Gods have always been around to explain stuff, and as science began to explain more stuff, you can see that the role of gods decreases. So god(s) is used to explain unexplainable stuff, but the amount of unexplainable stuff is decreasing, hence we see that religion is decreasing in society. Thankfully, the church in particular has lost power over the centuries, so people can feel safe proposing revolutionary theories. Poor old Gallileo...
View Public Profile Find more posts by Rabbousamai Add Rabbousamai to your Buddy List Reply with Quote