Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Respectable General Discussions > Religious Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(12-Mar-2003 at 04:39)
Atheism

I was just wondering what the difference was between
Atheism and Agnosticism.

Also, what is it called when you believe in a god(s) but you don't have a religion.
You believe that there is some higher power/deity, but that none of the current religions are correct about it. You simply believe that there IS a god or higher power that has an effect on your life.
View Public Profile Find more posts by ultimaelement Add ultimaelement to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as HurleyBD)
Donated $6.72
(12-Mar-2003 at 04:43)

Athiesm is the belief is that there is no god.

Agnosticism is not sure if there is a god or not, but doesnt really care.

There isnt really a name for people who just believe in a god, but not any religion. They just believe.

Life is a test and I get bad marks.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Hurleyy Add Hurleyy to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(12-Mar-2003 at 05:37)

Yeah, I call them Believers.
I call people who follow religion blind-believers.

Izzy is back and older than ever!
View Public Profile Visit Little Kid Izzy's homepage Find more posts by Little Kid Izzy Add Little Kid Izzy to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(12-Mar-2003 at 08:28)

Iīm an agnost, but i DO care. i just donīt know

What agnosts just have in common with atheists is that they donīt practice any relegion, because from both views relegion doesnīt make sense.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Collblanc Add Collblanc to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as MoonGlade)
(12-Mar-2003 at 08:41)

agnostic here

how stupid human can be : "If you are a [born-again] Christian, you will go to heaven; If you're following another religion, then by default you will go to Hell."
Radio program "Life on the Edge," sponsored by Focus on the Family, and directed to teens, 2001-MAY-5.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Saint Loco Add Saint Loco to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(12-Mar-2003 at 12:22)
"There isnt really a name for people who just believe in a god, but not any religion. They just believe."
That would be a Theist.

I'm Agnostic too btw (though I could be considered a Buddhist aswell, but they are kinda agnostic)
View Public Profile Find more posts by absjaar Add absjaar to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(12-Mar-2003 at 14:57)

Athiest.

I thought the name for the non-organized religous stuff was diesm?

My name is spelled wrong on purpose.
The statement below is a lie.
The statement above is a lie.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Furios Add Furios to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Z Man)
(12-Mar-2003 at 20:24)

i dont practice any religion but do belive in the christian god. So i call myself a christian despite the fact that i dont attend church, pray etc.

zZz - Currently Homeless
View Public Profile Visit Crippled Angel's homepage Find more posts by Crippled Angel Add Crippled Angel to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as danies400)
(12-Mar-2003 at 20:28)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Z Man)

i dont practice any religion but do belive in the christian god. So i call myself a christian despite the fact that i dont attend church, pray etc.
I am a Christian but I dont attend Church and dont pray that regurlarly.But how can u say no to the big dude in the sky?

*shoots Igor*

Signature suspended by D4n1es for not being able to think up an original one or code it right...
View Public Profile Visit D4n1es's homepage Find more posts by D4n1es Add D4n1es to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Lord Gil galad)
(12-Mar-2003 at 20:41)

Quote:
There isnt really a name for people who just believe in a god, but not any religion. They just believe.
Isn't that Spiritualist, thats kind of what I am, but mainly Christian if I was to lean towards any specific donomination.

Signature suspended by Starfriend for violating the forum's rules.
Stick to English

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
View Public Profile Find more posts by Aulendil Add Aulendil to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(12-Mar-2003 at 21:14)

hehe a none christian beliver is a pegan... so maby that's what you should call yourselth!...
View Public Profile Find more posts by Azorius Add Azorius to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as MoonGlade)
(12-Mar-2003 at 21:17)

for someone to not believe in islam,is called a kafir,you do not believe in islam so a kafir you are
kafir means people who had gone astray and disbelieve god

how stupid human can be : "If you are a [born-again] Christian, you will go to heaven; If you're following another religion, then by default you will go to Hell."
Radio program "Life on the Edge," sponsored by Focus on the Family, and directed to teens, 2001-MAY-5.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Saint Loco Add Saint Loco to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(13-Mar-2003 at 01:10)

then i am a kafir, but not a pagan. i attend church, pray, and read bible... i believe that is called "christianity".

i call atheists blind-believers, and agnostics as indifferent. and buddhists i call philosophers, since buddhism is more of a philosophy than a religion.

"Light travels faster than sound, so
some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak."

Middle Class Pride
View Public Profile Find more posts by Dilbert Add Dilbert to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(13-Mar-2003 at 01:13)

Dilbert, don't use my phrases. Please.
Anyway, do I have to outdebate you everywhere again? Remember the Homosexual thread? Anyway...

Atheist don't believe in anything. And they usually have a lot more proof for their position than blindly beliving in god.'

There is SOME Proof for Evolution, Big Bang, etc.

There is NO proof for God's existance other than a feeling.

Izzy is back and older than ever!
View Public Profile Visit Little Kid Izzy's homepage Find more posts by Little Kid Izzy Add Little Kid Izzy to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(13-Mar-2003 at 05:50)
Islam: A belief in the worship and respect of Allah and his prophet Mohhamed. Non-muslims called kafirs. Holy book is the Quran.

Christianity: A belief in an almighty God and his son Jesus Christ who died to save us. Non-christians called pagans. Holy book is the Bible.

Judaism: A belief in an almighty God and his messenger Moses. Holy book is the Torah.

Hinduism:A belief in many gods which govern life, mainly Brahma the creator, Vishnu the preserver, and some other ones like Ganesh, Shiva, and Parvati who all do different jobs. Most popular multi-god religion (the only organized one basically.)

Buddhism: A belief in the eternal forces on Ying and Yang which govern all life. More like a philosophy than a religion. No god.

Confucianism: A way of life encouraging education, respect of parents, a good behaviour. No god.

Taoism: A belief in the simplicity of life. There is nothing important about money, power etc. keep life simple.

Agnostic: A person who is not sure whether to follow God or Science (bad wording here.)

Atheist: A person absolutley committed to opposing the belief of god and promoting science.

Satanist: A person who believes in giving in to ones carnal desires.

Theist, Spiritualist, Deist, :A person who believes in god but thinks the organized religions are wrong. (just believes, not worships)

I hope that clears things up a bit, correct me if im wrong anywhere.

I never sleep, cos sleep is the cousin of death - Nas
View Public Profile Find more posts by ademir Add ademir to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as TheBlasphemer)
Donated $7.00
(13-Mar-2003 at 05:56)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Azorius)

hehe a none christian beliver is a pegan... so maby that's what you should call yourselth!...
I'm afraid you couldn't be more wrong. I am pagan, and do not believe in God. A pagan believes that spiritually starts from a more earthly point, such as Wiccans and Diviners(this would be me).

The guiding light of my family -
|Daughter Lady Juliet|Siblings Tia, Exxy, Hopey, Kat, Paul|

Why cant you see fear will impede you to break
Through your trivial life and find the missing aim to evolve
View Public Profile Visit Dizzy Blizzy's homepage Find more posts by Dizzy Blizzy Add Dizzy Blizzy to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(13-Mar-2003 at 05:56)
Quote:
(Originally posted by ademir)

Hinduism:A belief in many gods which govern life, mainly Brahma the creator, Vishnu the preserver, and some other ones like Ganesh, Shiva, and Parvati who all do different jobs. Most popular multi-god religion (the only organized one basically.)

I hope that clears things up a bit, correct me if im wrong anywhere.
Only on that one. Hinduism doesn't consider itself a polytheistic religion. They believe that Brahma, Vishni, Shiva, Kali, etc etc are all one aspect of the Brahman (I think thats the right word, but its been awhile), merely different faucets of infinity if you will.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Darkwulf Add Darkwulf to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(13-Mar-2003 at 08:16)
Quote:
Agnostic: A person who is not sure whether to follow God or Science (bad wording here.)
Incorrect.

Agnostic: A person that does not know if there is a god/gods or not. And do not care if there is or not.

There is no good or bad, just perspective and opinion. -Squall FF8.
When you forget how it was to be a child, that is when you truly die.
Life isn't about avoiding mistakes, because that's not possible. Life is about what you do about them when you've made them. -DharTook

View Public Profile Find more posts by Frontier Add Frontier to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $1.68
(13-Mar-2003 at 09:12)
Quote:
Agnostic: A person that does not know if there is a god/gods or not. And do not care if there is or not.
I think you're both wrong. Agnostics are people who would believe in a higher power (God, Fate, Destiny) but not any Establishment religion (Christianity, Judaism).

Quote:
Atheist: A person absolutley committed to opposing the belief of god and promoting science.
I also believe this is poorly worded. You make it seem as though Athiests are out there clubbing Christians and telling them that science is right. You couldn't be any further from the truth.

Athiests may oppose god and they may promote science. That does not mean that we are primitive, barbaric, or even rude. Some of us are highly respectful of believers.

Quote:
Buddhism: A belief in the eternal forces on Ying and Yang which govern all life. More like a philosophy than a religion. No god.
Now, I'm not totally up to date on my Buddhism, but I always believed that it was more of a "power of self" philosophy.

Anyway, there's no point in trying to define most of these categories.. Athiesm and Agnosticism are so broad, so general.. That there's no way you could sum up their thoughts in a short sentence or two. It's like Christianity; complex.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Amirault Add Amirault to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(13-Mar-2003 at 09:45)

sad again

Iīll have to explain what agnosts stand for again.

Agnostisism come from the latin word agnoscere, than means "not-knowing". It is based on rationality, and as there is no proof for the existence of any deity, nor their absence, we simply cannot tell at this point.

Why people say agnosts donīt care is simply beyond me. Just because we donīt know what is out there doesnīt mean we donīt care, or cannot have a nice discussion about it.

Agnosts do tend to reject relegion, as it is irrational.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Collblanc Add Collblanc to your Buddy List Reply with Quote