Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Respectable General Discussions > Religious Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
Old ZRG
(03-Sep-2003 at 22:10)
it means he lied, it just doesn't say why. and wouldn't you think an all-powerful entity would be above hypocrisy?
View Public Profile Find more posts by ZRG Add ZRG to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(04-Sep-2003 at 05:53)

tongue

Well yes, I realize that it means He lied... but what I'm not totally sure of is what He lied about. Could someone enlighten me please?
View Public Profile Find more posts by smcwood Add smcwood to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as jh211988)
(User is Banned)
(04-Sep-2003 at 07:51)

Quote:
(Originally posted by smcwood)

Well yes, I realize that it means He lied... but what I'm not totally sure of is what He lied about. Could someone enlighten me please?
Ooo, He lied plenty alright. And one of them just happens to be about the freedom He gives. He gave me none, so He lied.

Religion is the mental disease of the masses.
"Once again, religion is like sniffing gasoline. Both cause permanant brain damage." -- Obsidian
View Public Profile Find more posts by dothackRAVE Add dothackRAVE to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(04-Sep-2003 at 14:12)

question

Hey jh, I thought that you were a pretty devout Christian. What's goin on here? Did you lose your faith or what? And just for your information, God is incapable of lieing.
View Public Profile Find more posts by smcwood Add smcwood to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Old lmc
(04-Sep-2003 at 16:01)

Quote:

Hey jh, I thought that you were a pretty devout Christian. What's goin on here? Did you lose your faith or what? And just for your information, God is incapable of lieing.
I thought he was omnipotent? Guess I was wrong.

Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others.

Groucho Marx
http://tangenitaldrunkeness.blogspot...ac22c48044bdd8
View Public Profile Visit lmc's homepage Find more posts by lmc Add lmc to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(04-Sep-2003 at 16:43)

Quote:
I thought he was omnipotent? Guess I was wrong.
He is omnipotent, that's the point, Being perfect He cannot make a mistake, so His perfection would not allow Him to lie.
Old lmc
(04-Sep-2003 at 16:46)

Quote:

He is omnipotent, that's the point, Being perfect He cannot make a mistake, so His perfection would not allow Him to lie.
So he could lie if we wanted to, as opposed to George Washington, he just doesn't want to?

Groucho Marx
View Public Profile Visit lmc's homepage Find more posts by lmc Add lmc to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(04-Sep-2003 at 16:47)

question

what?

That statement doesn't make sense to me. What are you trying to say?

Last edited by smcwood, 04-Sep-2003 at 16:48.
Old lmc
(04-Sep-2003 at 17:05)

Quote:

what?

That statement doesn't make sense to me. What are you trying to say?
I'm saying that lying may have a purpose. Therfore it does not necessarily reult from error or imperfection.

I also think it's quite arrogant of you to decide what God can or cannot do.

Groucho Marx
(04-Sep-2003 at 20:01)

It's a very simple point. (the following paragraph is assuming that you're right).
If god is omnipotent, then he is capable of lying. Being perfect, he wouldn't do so without a damned good reason. However, if he so chose, obviously he could lie.
(end assumption)
Your claim that god cannot lie disagrees with your claim that god is omnipotent. Make up your mind.

The difference between madness and genius is determined only by degrees of success.
Evil archmage of www.teamrpg.com!
View Public Profile Find more posts by Palin Add Palin to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(05-Sep-2003 at 03:00)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Palin)
It's a very simple point. (the following paragraph is assuming that you're right).
If god is omnipotent, then he is capable of lying. Being perfect, he wouldn't do so without a damned good reason. However, if he so chose, obviously he could lie.
(end assumption)
Your claim that god cannot lie disagrees with your claim that god is omnipotent. Make up your mind.
Even if God could lie, that would bring up the 'Euthyphro Dilemma'.

Quote:
(I'm in a bad mood, you can find a source on your own. )
Is God 'good' because He does good things, or are things good because God does them? The dilemma is this: if God is good because he does good things, this means that the concept of 'good' is external to Him, that He is literally forced to submit to a Law higher than Himself. On the other hand, if things are good because God does them, then God could apparently do the most atrocious things, and they would still be 'good'. -Socrates

"To sit alone with my conscience will be judgment enough for me."
-Charles William Stubbs
"'Faith' means not wanting to know what is true."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
View Public Profile Find more posts by TheTitan Add TheTitan to your Buddy List Reply with Quote