Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Respectable General Discussions > Religious Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(05-Apr-2004 at 08:55)
Does "God" exist?

oh I know i'm going to spark up a huge thread, but why not

Prove to me that God exists. If your proof is well founded, I will believe in God.

dont mention "having faith" because I can have "faith" in leprechauns that grant wishes, yet that doesn't make them real.

If god is all powerful, can he make an object he cannot move?

dont bring up "he doesn't use our laws of physics." It's not about physics, its about logic

dont bring up "he can, but he can choose not to." It's not about choice, it's about ability.

If God is all wise all knowing, and all whatever, how come he threatens to smite those who do not believe in him? Is such a wise person REALLY THAT INSECURE? I guess so.
And if God is so all powerful, why is there so little follow through? I hear a lot of big talk comin from the lord, but seems the big guy upstairs has more bark than bite.

I guess I'll finish this post by saying that all major religions except for budhism or perhaps maybe islam. Regardless, science is quite adept at explaining God's "miracles," so time is running out!
View Public Profile Find more posts by Iron Lung Add Iron Lung to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(05-Apr-2004 at 08:59)
well to me he doesnt exist.. he's just something that people have made up
View Public Profile Find more posts by systematic Add systematic to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(05-Apr-2004 at 09:00)

We already have threads like these dude. How about you using the search function? Or going into the forum titled "Religious Discussion?"
View Public Profile Find more posts by dennis0 Add dennis0 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(05-Apr-2004 at 09:01)
does it matter?
anyway, I think it was Kant that said: "God is man's greatest creation."

nothing is more true
View Public Profile Find more posts by Iron Lung Add Iron Lung to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $0.80
(05-Apr-2004 at 09:32)

There is a SUB-Forum for this

And it all depends on who you are and what your believes are as to whether or not ANY God exists

America The 6th Nicest Country According To U.N. Reports
MetalStorm
View Public Profile Find more posts by Soul Reaver Add Soul Reaver to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Black Fighter)
(05-Apr-2004 at 09:35)

-> Religious discussions.

And the answer is no, of course not.

The universe and therefore everything is made out of matter and antimatter - physics and chemistry determine éverything which includes feelings and living.

Yes, we're just a bag of chemicals.
View Public Profile Visit Apeiron's homepage Find more posts by Apeiron Add Apeiron to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(05-Apr-2004 at 09:36)
I admit. I did not know of the subthread. I apologize for this thread, it should not be here. Alas, it is.

I just doubt God's purpose in this world that caters to blood and gore, imperialism, war, death, and whatever else you wanna throw into this grab bag
Donated $0.80
(05-Apr-2004 at 09:38)

Yeah that seems to be the problem, humanity tends to use Religion as a way to oppress others.

America The 6th Nicest Country According To U.N. Reports
MetalStorm
View Public Profile Find more posts by Soul Reaver Add Soul Reaver to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Former Global Moderator)
Research Group
(05-Apr-2004 at 09:39)

I believe God exists. I believe it's something that has to be taken on faith, and can't be proven. If you don't like the concept of it, then that's fine, but don't mock my faith because of it.

The Kiowa swooped and banked hard in front of the car, firing three more shots through the front hood, the universal sign for “stop.”
There are two important rules for sucess in life.
1. Never tell anyone everything you know.
View Public Profile Visit Hawkeyekid's homepage Find more posts by Hawkeyekid Add Hawkeyekid to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(05-Apr-2004 at 09:47)

Lets turn it the other way around, proof me that God doesn't exist. Its always like, "Hey, proof me God exists!", why not put it the other way around and show us what you got of proof that God doesn't exist. Probably none either. Existance of God is something you can not proof.

For the people who say he doesn't i have some questions. Where did live start? How was the universe born? Where is the beginning of everything?

A Clockwork Orange:
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3

View Public Profile Find more posts by Frederick Add Frederick to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Light Wolf)
(05-Apr-2004 at 09:52)
i always wondered if there was a god and now i know its me -Homer simpson

its a leap of faith bascially every person can prove and disprove there is a god its up to the indiviual

i belive in god but i hate religious organisations

the problem with them is that they twist gods word to suit what the top guys want the world would be better of without relgions imo they have cause so many deaths it aint funny. but the world would not be better off with out a god

i know it seems to contradict itself but its what i belive in.

Signature suspended by Swifty for violating the forum's rules. Innapropriate.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Canis lupus mac Add Canis lupus mac to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Black Fighter)
(05-Apr-2004 at 09:59)

Quote:
Lets turn it the other way around, proof me that God doesn't exist. Its always like, "Hey, proof me God exists!", why not put it the other way around and show us what you got of proof that God doesn't exist. Probably none either. Existance of God is something you can not proof.
No, but the fact that not a single tiny piece of evidence for any spiritual world has ever been found would kinda proove that.

Take for example the thousands and millions of dollars that are offered by skeptics organisations for anyone who can do something weird in a controlled environment.
This includes everything from talking to ghosts to levitation, telepathy, mind reading and telekinesis.

Quote:
For the people who say he doesn't i have some questions. Where did live start? How was the universe born? Where is the beginning of everything?
This site may help you :

http://www.talkorigins.org/

Life is just plain chemicals, where it started first is not sure. Could be on Earth, but I think other planets had life long before our Earth was around.

Panspermia is a valid theory as well.

Life is just chemicals, and yes they can be formed naturally as amino acids and the conditions for life are formed naturally as well.

Check out that website.
View Public Profile Visit Apeiron's homepage Find more posts by Apeiron Add Apeiron to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(05-Apr-2004 at 10:03)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Frederick)

let me start this by a lesson of logical.

When you come up with a concept you have to proove it exists in order for its existence to be accepted by people. not the opposite. In fact this morning before I saw this thread I wanted to come up with one about WMD and christians.
I was first very surprised to see most people supporting the war against Iraq were christians because christians are supposed to be peacefull and all love, they must never agress anybody.
They used the same logic.
"god exist because you cannot proove it doesn't exist"
"Iraq have WMD because you cannot prove they don't have"

See how flawn this reasoning is??

If you bring the concept you have to proove it, we don't have to disproove it.

Another point about Where did live start? How was the universe born? Where is the beginning of everything?

liFe started from prebiotic molecules that were under some special circunstances and pop up together to make some DNA that replied itself to some point were we had a bacteria.

The bacteria replied itself until one day the copy wasn't 100% exact. mystakes after mistakes we had a multi cellular body. The celluls became more and more specific until the day we had a fish! and so on and so on...

and if you ask what are the chances of that!! they're fucking low!!
I'll answer the univers is fucking big, there more planets that your religious spirit can conceive, out of this number billions of billions are earth-like. so if the chances of life to start is one out of one million of billions that is 1000 planets were life have started.

We don't know how the univers started. but as flawned as the big bang theory look to you it was made after a long research and scientific analysis.

We might never know, but god is only an hypothese. If you're saying the univers needs a cause to exist, I'll say that god, too needs a cause to exist, so what created god?
if you answer that god created itself, or that it was always here, I can answer the same for the Univers.

When your girlfriend dumps you on your birthday after you failed the hardest class, lost your wallet and broke your knees, have a Beer.
When you're chassed by a tax colletor, 5 wolves in a burning forest while being forced to listen to all of B. Spears' CDs, have a Beer.

And if beer fails, do some maths
View Public Profile Visit Helvetie's homepage Find more posts by Helvetie Add Helvetie to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(05-Apr-2004 at 10:23)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Helvetie) We might never know, but god is only an hypothese. If you're saying the univers needs a cause to exist, I'll say that god, too needs a cause to exist, so what created god?
if you answer that god created itself, or that it was always here, I can answer the same for the Univers.
But there is a big difference between God and the Universe. God is something that is godlike, that's why its called "God", right?

I know reasoning is flawed, but you see. You are using the exact same reasoning, that's why discussions like these are actually pointless. You cant proof it nor you can prove it aint that way.

Also sciences are just hypotheses also, nothing is proved by sciences that it is the way your saying. Its just a hypothese that could be right.

Quote:
because christians are supposed to be peacefull and all love, they must never agress anybody.
May i ask where you found this? I heard of it before, but its totally not true. Although im an opposer of the war against Iraq.

A Clockwork Orange:
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3

View Public Profile Find more posts by Frederick Add Frederick to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(05-Apr-2004 at 10:31)

you don't get it do you?

when you're ADDING something you have to proove it, I don't have to disproove it.

it's like if I say "OK lim (x->0) cos(x)/x is 0"
I have to proove it it is not true unless proven. it could easily be true or false.
I can come up with some argument like: prove me it's false!!! you can't!! hence it's true!
well in fact anybody in 8th grade would tell you it's false
so you have to proove god exist, we don't have to prove it doesn't

see my point?

and about the peacefull part, Jesus told he was A son of god (not THE, he meant we were all brothers and sister, a hippy 1900 yrs in advance of its time ) he also told things like
"don't do to the other what you would tnot want the other to do"
or
"if someone hits you on the right, sho your left"

When your girlfriend dumps you on your birthday after you failed the hardest class, lost your wallet and broke your knees, have a Beer.
When you're chassed by a tax colletor, 5 wolves in a burning forest while being forced to listen to all of B. Spears' CDs, have a Beer.

And if beer fails, do some maths
View Public Profile Visit Helvetie's homepage Find more posts by Helvetie Add Helvetie to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Blue Sage of M)
Donated $7.44
(05-Apr-2004 at 10:59)

Quote:
f god is all powerful, can he make an object he cannot move?
The answer to that, of course, is yes.

*Bla bla bla then if he's all powerful why can't he move it?*

Oh, he can move it. God can make an object so powerful that he can't move it. AND he can move it. He's all powerful, duh.

The less popular Sage
Really...most people forget who I am
But I was here first, damn it!

Willing to sell my soul for a Klondike Bar
View Public Profile Visit The Other Sage's homepage Find more posts by The Other Sage Add The Other Sage to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $9.31
(05-Apr-2004 at 12:45)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Blue Sage of M)

The answer to that, of course, is yes.

*Bla bla bla then if he's all powerful why can't he move it?*

Oh, he can move it. God can make an object so powerful that he can't move it. AND he can move it. He's all powerful, duh.
Well, then he CANT make an object he can't move, thus we are back to square one.

My MSN is still [email protected].
My Skype is kapteindynetrekk
View Public Profile Find more posts by Nimon Add Nimon to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $9.31
(05-Apr-2004 at 12:47)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Frederick)

Lets turn it the other way around, proof me that God doesn't exist. Its always like, "Hey, proof me God exists!", why not put it the other way around and show us what you got of proof that God doesn't exist.
Fred, sorry, but that doesnt make sense. Ok, prove to me that I am not flying right now. You cant. And me saying you should is stupid. I should be the one proving to you that I am flying. Prove to me that "god" is not a big oyster. You cant. See?

My MSN is still [email protected].
My Skype is kapteindynetrekk
View Public Profile Find more posts by Nimon Add Nimon to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(05-Apr-2004 at 13:34)

Quote:
liFe started from prebiotic molecules that were under some special circunstances and pop up together to make some DNA that replied itself to some point were we had a bacteria.
That is an unproven theory itself. No one has managed to produce anything more than a few amino acids in a laboratory no matter how much they agitate their primordial soup; not a scrap of life. Yet you believe it........

Quote:
and if you ask what are the chances of that!! they're fucking low!!
Indeed they are. This is the 'twister in a scrap yard' analogy. The amino acids produced in laboratory are described as 'the building blocks of life', and the simplest of life is far more complex than say, a Boeing 747. Yet we are expected to believe that if you collected all the parts of a 747 in a scrapyard, and got enough tornadoes going to whirl them all around for long enough, they would just fall into place to make our aircraft. It sounds very far fetched deosn't it?

Quote:
We don't know how the univers started. but as flawned as the big bang theory look to you it was made after a long research and scientific analysis.
But stil only a theory, and again you believe it.....
View Public Profile Find more posts by Voice of Reason Add Voice of Reason to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(05-Apr-2004 at 14:08)
Just accept you don't know alot of things, this doen't mean you should stop searching for an answer, as in doing so you are putting some meaning to your life.
You don't know if there is a god, or not.
You don't know how the universe was created...
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> if there is life on other planets...
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> if there is parrell dimensions.....
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> if we can every reach lightspeed....
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> if we did, what would happen......

All these Questions cannot be answered, maybe th life on other planets can be soon, but not yet.....
Just decide what YOU think, as nobody is 100% right on any of these questions....
You might as well have your own little theory or just accept that you don't know,
Did you really expect to find the answer you were looking for in this thread?
Would you leave an important question like that up to a bunch of people in Utopia Temple?
Sorry,guys, I'm sometimes one myself,
But for a Question like that you should ask the other people in your life, have a lil disussion....
Or just wait to have the disscussion wit sum1 in the future, have your theories ready....
Thats all my advice on your Question....

The offical Drug Dealer of 'The Pawn Shop'. Wanna buy sum drugs? All profits go towards ren-ovating the pawn shop into a mini amsterdam.
Check out my acid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View Public Profile Find more posts by shaneo2003 Add shaneo2003 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote