Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Respectable General Discussions > Religious Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
Donated $0.56
(11-Apr-2004 at 22:03)

How Many in Hell?

Information found here

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~bjm...ple_lived.html

says there have been about 110 billion people born, ever. That's the scientific estimate, so we're talking from more than 50,000 years ago, way before this Adam and Eve bullshit.

The chart at the bottom of the page says that there were about 1.13 billion people born before 1 AD. They haven't heard of Jesus, so they're doomed.

The Roman empire became Christian in 306 AD, so at that time, we'll say that 1/3 of the world population was Christian, and has been ever since.

Using the figures on that page.. *whips out calculator*, that means that about 78.15444... billion people were never Christian. Let's assume then that about half of all Christians are good enough to get into heaven (that's reasonable enough, yes?), giving us 94.05 BILLION people in hell, and only 15.897 in heaven!
This is, of course, a Dante sort of hell, where even the virtuous pagans and unbaptized infants end up there (original sin).

I'm not really trying to start a debate on this one, I just thought I'd point out that most people have been/are damned (especially now that there are 1 billion atheists in the world).
View Public Profile Find more posts by Iron Feliks Add Iron Feliks to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(User is Banned)
(11-Apr-2004 at 22:38)

By the partial construct presented in the book.

But then again we should bring up needing good works to get into heaven.

Which would lower our number further.

It has to go much lower to meet the numbers that are predicted however.

Personally I think one part of the book and the other may be seriously disconnected.

If you see the light at the end of the tunnel, then you passed the test.
View Public Profile Visit Cloud Strife's homepage Find more posts by Cloud Strife Add Cloud Strife to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $2.72
(11-Apr-2004 at 23:49)

First of all, people could get into heaven before Jesus came, atleast I believe that. Entrance was just based on works instead of faith. So that bring up your number A LOT.

Second, I doubt that 1/3 of all people since Jesus' life have been true Christians. Christianity is supposedly the largest relgion (including atheism and agnostisism as relgions) in America, but I have trouble finding fruits of that. So your number goes back down atleast some.

Third, all true Christians will get into heaven. No "if"'s, "and"'s, or "but"'s.

Finally, no matter how moral or "virtuous" any person who is not a Christian may be, they will not make it into heaven according to the Bible.

Just thought I'd say all that for fun, since you weren't tryin to start a debate.

I'm not ashamed of the One I love.
[Our dream] eluded us then, but that's no matter tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther. And one fine morning...
Hail Jesus, You're my Lord.

Last edited by Victor1, 11-Apr-2004 at 23:51.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Victor1 Add Victor1 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Belnick HaJ)
(12-Apr-2004 at 00:29)

Re: How Many in Hell?

Quote:
(Originally posted by Iron Feliks)

Information found here

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~bjm...ple_lived.html
ummm, read my signature
it say it all

Within darkness comes enlightenment.
There is no god, there is no Devil, there is no heaven or Hell
STYX HaJ challenged Lord Hawk - He ran off
View Public Profile Visit Belnick the God's homepage Find more posts by Belnick the God Add Belnick the God to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(12-Apr-2004 at 08:14)

er, that link didn't work for me... 404 not found

Anyways, I think that they went to Purgatory, not Hell. Yes, there are people in Hell, but I dunno how many. We can not judge every person, nor guess at how God has judged every single person. If you think we can stereotype groups of people, think again because I doubt God would send us to Hell just because we're Roman or Chinese, no matter what kind of life we lived (although, He might send us to Hell if we lived a bad life, even though we're Christian or, before that, Jewish).
View Public Profile Visit Franbo's homepage Find more posts by Franbo Add Franbo to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as BlackAurora)
(User is Banned)
Donated $2.40
(12-Apr-2004 at 18:17)

Hmm... I'm atheist, thus I don't believe in hell, thus meaning I won't go there?

Dutch World Domination is inevitable...
Mail the Dutchie! | #LA IRC quotes on Lashback.org ! |Sossy's Boards !
U N D U T C H A B L E
The EvulurustestBlackAurora
View Public Profile Find more posts by TheNotoriousBA Add TheNotoriousBA to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(12-Apr-2004 at 18:28)
Well, if you assume everyone went to hell before Jesus came I can understand your concern.

However, they were kept in a place called purgatory or paradise. The ones who obeyed God's commands did their sacrfices and stuff eventually went to heaven when Jesus died for their sins. The ones who were disobedient to God and did not do their sacrifices were also in purgatory, but they went to hell after Jesus died.

So your estimates of how many people are in hell are probably lower.

~"For God so loved the world that He sent His One and only Son that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life" -John 3: 16~
~"Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent" -John 17: 3~
View Public Profile Find more posts by LandofSerenity Add LandofSerenity to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(13-Apr-2004 at 00:58)

Quote:
-Rev 7:4 And I heard the number of them which were sealed , and there were sealed a hundred and forty and four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel.
This is often interpreted, although I do not believe it as such, that 144,000 is the total number of people who will enter heaven.

"I KEEK A TOUCHDOWN!" - Garo Yepremian
View Public Profile Find more posts by Sister Klon Add Sister Klon to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(13-Apr-2004 at 00:59)
Quote:
(Originally posted by Sister Klon)

This is often interpreted, although I do not believe it as such, that 144,000 is the total number of people who will enter heaven.
Revelation is the hardest book to understand. I agree though i don't think that 144k is the right number at all.

~"For God so loved the world that He sent His One and only Son that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life" -John 3: 16~
~"Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent" -John 17: 3~
View Public Profile Find more posts by LandofSerenity Add LandofSerenity to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(13-Apr-2004 at 18:03)

144k people are just those who will go to heaven during the days of revelations. All others will have been corrupted by the lusts and indulgences of the times.

Of course billions go to and stay in heaven before that.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Royal Assassin3 Add Royal Assassin3 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Honorary Member
(13-Apr-2004 at 18:18)

talk to a more religious christian, your never gonna get anywehre near 15billion in heaven, only true believers get there and those who haen't had corrupted thoughts.

However hate to point out, even in christian teaching jews before jesus will go to heaven and in jewish teaching those who believed in a false massiah aren't exactly going to heaven. so i think your figure will greatly vary depending on religion

Getting banned is not smart, nor cool. - Swifty
View Public Profile Find more posts by Jasse Add Jasse to your Buddy List Reply with Quote