Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Respectable General Discussions > Religious Discussions

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
  Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
Posts: 981/1637
(24-Apr-2008 at 06:13)
The God-Feeling

We are born with no distinction between the internal and external world. We are nourished by breast-milk and warmth. Life is good.

What happens when we begin the hunger and feel cold? We do the only thing we can, we scream. And by some miracle our screams are returned by more breast and more warmth. For the very first time we experience an external world, that we have to scream at to get a responce from. The life struggle begins, and from this moment we have battle to keep ourselves nourished and warm.

For the time we have everything, we are in Heaven. We are one with the universe because we are the universe. And slowly we are forced out of the Garden of Eden and made to suffer. If only I could feel that infantile warmth again! If only I could return to Heaven!

This is perhaps what the God-Feeling is. That we remember to varying extents what it means to be infantile. Instead of going out into the world, which I think we have the capacity to do, some of us resist maturation. We actually fear maturity and want back into the womb.

...

How plausible is this?

Last edited by Gotterdammerung, 24-Apr-2008 at 06:21.
#1  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Gotterdammerung Add Gotterdammerung to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 1858/2297
(24-Apr-2008 at 07:01)


Not at all.

Experience as a concept presupposes an outside world. If you don't experience anything as an infant, what's the benefit? Might as well not exist.

Modern world I'm not pleased to meet you

You just bring me down
#2  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Caelis666 Add Caelis666 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 2308/2825
(24-Apr-2008 at 09:17)


Re: The God-Feeling

Originally Posted by Gotterdammerung: View Post



How plausible is this?

Considering that i imagine nobody remembers what it feels like to be a baby not very. It might be quite miserable

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common; they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit the views
#3  
View Public Profile Find more posts by DHoffryn Add DHoffryn to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 1891/2035
(24-Apr-2008 at 20:41)


Re: The God-Feeling

Originally Posted by Caelis666: View Post
Not at all.

Experience as a concept presupposes an outside world. If you don't experience anything as an infant, what's the benefit? Might as well not exist.
Freudian thought suggests that infants are incapable of extracting an individual identity from the universe around them. Mother and the breast are mere extensions of the early self. This 'universal' feeling engendering a later religious predisposition is not a unique theory craft by our noble comrade here, but one some psychoanalysts have courted as well.

Originally Posted by DHoffryn: View Post
Considering that i imagine nobody remembers what it feels like to be a baby not very. It might be quite miserable
You may not remember much of your early childhood, but it impacts you quite significantly. Your inability to remember that specific feeling in its context has little bearing on its present potential influence.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."
-Soren Kierkegaard
"Those who know don't say, and those who say don't know."
- Lao Tzu
More Quotes...
#4  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Syke Add Syke to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 1860/2297
(24-Apr-2008 at 21:10)


Re: The God-Feeling

Originally Posted by Syke: View Post
Freudian thought suggests that infants are incapable of extracting an individual identity from the universe around them. Mother and the breast are mere extensions of the early self. This 'universal' feeling engendering a later religious predisposition is not a unique theory craft by our noble comrade here, but one some psychoanalysts have courted as well.
Freudian thought is mostly unscientific nonsense.

Besides, I don't doubt that infants are incapable of extracting an individual identity from the universe around them. Identities don't get formed until the time at which we start developing a language.
What I doubt is that it's what we could call an enjoyable experience, or rather, any experience at all. We don't have access to anything outside of our experience of it as a person, so while guessing about what it would be like to be an infant is hardly going to be grounded on any good data.

Modern world I'm not pleased to meet you

You just bring me down
#5  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Caelis666 Add Caelis666 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 122/174
(24-Apr-2008 at 23:03)
My interpretation of God-feeling is the sensitive ability to hear God's words. I never could tell apart the difference between God's words and my self-conscience though .
I believe babies are born "neutral". When they are born, they think:
1. They are sexless, only realizing their sex after seeing their private organs and giving in to environmental pressure.
2. They are born bisexual. The first person they probably fell in love was an incest, their mum. Because social standard doesn't permit so, they have to love someone else. In ancient times, incest is quite common with people marrying their own siblings.
I'm not sure though, i don't remember my days as a baby. Probably undergo an endless poop-eat-poop process

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think the fact that my emotions don't rule my life the way many people's do is a huge asset, but the biggest thing is I was in the right place at the right time. - Warren Buffett
#6  
View Public Profile Find more posts by ArchAlmighTy Add ArchAlmighTy to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 1893/2035
(26-Apr-2008 at 03:16)


Re: The God-Feeling

Originally Posted by Caelis666: View Post
Freudian thought is mostly unscientific nonsense.

Besides, I don't doubt that infants are incapable of extracting an individual identity from the universe around them. Identities don't get formed until the time at which we start developing a language.
What I doubt is that it's what we could call an enjoyable experience, or rather, any experience at all. We don't have access to anything outside of our experience of it as a person, so while guessing about what it would be like to be an infant is hardly going to be grounded on any good data.
I would hardly call it 'nonsense.' Well, not all of it anyways. Just because quite a bit of Freud is rather... well, ridiculous, doesn't discount it all. Don't toss the baby out with the bathwater, so to speak.

The sense of self is distinguished prior to the ability to communicate via language with adults.

It is obviously an experience- one which is instrumental in your development. Psychology has more than demonstrated the immense impact events have during the infant stage of life. Again, our inability to hearken back to these days gone past is not to diminish their importance. I agree that our inability to remember the experience certainly muddles our ability to resolutely analyze the phenomenon, however I feel it would be rather poor on our part to not at least conjecture in a reasoned and intelligent manner regarding it.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."
-Soren Kierkegaard
"Those who know don't say, and those who say don't know."
- Lao Tzu
More Quotes...

Last edited by Syke, 26-Apr-2008 at 03:18.
Edit reason: Couldn't resist the bad pun.
#7  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Syke Add Syke to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 696/699
(17-May-2008 at 12:19)


Re: The God-Feeling

Originally Posted by Gotterdammerung: View Post
We are born with no distinction between the internal and external world. We are nourished by breast-milk and warmth. Life is good.

What happens when we begin the hunger and feel cold? We do the only thing we can, we scream. And by some miracle our screams are returned by more breast and more warmth. For the very first time we experience an external world, that we have to scream at to get a responce from. The life struggle begins, and from this moment we have battle to keep ourselves nourished and warm.

For the time we have everything, we are in Heaven. We are one with the universe because we are the universe. And slowly we are forced out of the Garden of Eden and made to suffer. If only I could feel that infantile warmth again! If only I could return to Heaven!

This is perhaps what the God-Feeling is. That we remember to varying extents what it means to be infantile. Instead of going out into the world, which I think we have the capacity to do, some of us resist maturation. We actually fear maturity and want back into the womb.

...

How plausible is this?
If I'm understanding you correctly, I think its highly plausible.
The feeling a child would get from a mothers comfort makes a good comparison for the warm fuzzy sheltered feeling that belief in a benevolent God gives.
Falling in love is also very similar.

I remember that feeling from a long time ago when I was religious - funnily enough, I get that warm and fuzzy feeling now when a theory that betters my understanding of where I come from clicks in my brain. see? science isnt all cold and clinical. or am I just weird?
#8  
View Public Profile Find more posts by jond Add jond to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Posts: 440/742
(17-May-2008 at 13:44)


Re: The God-Feeling

Originally Posted by ArchAlmighTy: View Post
I never could tell apart the difference between God's words and my self-conscience though .
That fact has always amused me

As for the starting question: It's fairly plausible in the basic sense that in the womb we experienced a oneness that could easily paint everything after with the brush of separation.. I think that theory's probably true to a large extent.

Personally, I don't think that's what lies at the basis of the 'God feeling' however. While that does have a lot to do with an experience of oneness, with me it doesn't express itself in the form of wanting to withdraw from the world and 'return to the womb' at all. When that feeling hits me it in fact tends to go hand it hand with a euphoric embrace of the entire world, and an instinctive, wordless understanding of how its parts perfectly fit together. There's nothing regressive about it for me, it feels deeply progressive. There's no "if only I could feel that warmth again..", there is that very warmth, and in that moment its radiance encompasses everything, from a single blade of grass, to me, to the sun up in the sky..

Your brain is unique in the history of the universe. Use it wisely.
#9  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Dusk Illz Add Dusk Illz to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
  Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump:

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Religion Ninjoo Religious Discussions 63 28-Feb-2008 00:13
Why did God kill my unborn children ? Grashnak Religious Discussions 91 05-Aug-2006 21:28
The logic of God Gus Mackay Religious Discussions 31 23-Aug-2004 08:11
My friends thoughts about god, what ya'll think? Trial by Fire Religious Discussions 4 16-Oct-2003 13:57
Proof that God exists! akk The Lunatic Asylum 195 30-Aug-2003 14:20


All times are GMT+1. The time now is 04:10.

Powered by vBulletin (modified)
Copyright ©2000-2006, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.