Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Respectable General Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(Posted as Lodewijk)
Donated $4.04
(20-Feb-2005 at 06:30)

The Football Thread (soccer)

Discuss all things football (soccer) related here.

Is birth always a fall?
Do angels have wings? Can men fly?

Last edited by Starfriend, 23-Nov-2007 at 19:49.
Edit reason: updated the post
View Public Profile Find more posts by Happy Sid Add Happy Sid to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(20-Feb-2005 at 09:15)

Milan - Man Utd: Man Utd
FC Bayern - Arsenal: Arsenal
Barcelona - Chelski: Barcelona
Liverpool - Bayer Leverkusen: Bayer Leverkusen
Juventus - Real Madrid: Real Madrid
Internazionale - Porto: Inter
PSV - Monaco: PSV
Lyon - Werder Bremen: Lyon

The One and Only DMW
View Public Profile Find more posts by DeadMenWalking Add DeadMenWalking to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(20-Feb-2005 at 09:38)

Milan - Man Utd: Milan
FC Bayern - Arsenal: Bayern
Barcelona - Chelski: Chelsea
Liverpool - Bayer Leverkusen: Bayer Leverkusen
PSV - Monaco: Monaco

That's what I would guess

Backa backa mother.....
View Public Profile Find more posts by Largoi Add Largoi to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Lodewijk)
Donated $4.04
(20-Feb-2005 at 10:36)

The two hardest ones to call are Juve - Madrid and Barca -Chelski...I honestly have no real idea where those two are going.

The news that Shevchenko is out for two weeks (he will miss Old Trafford), coupled with Man U's awesome form lately, is starting to make me reconsider my prediction...another one too close to call.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Happy Sid Add Happy Sid to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(20-Feb-2005 at 11:22)
Milan - Man Utd: Manutd
FC Bayern - Arsenal: FC Bayern
Barcelona - Chelsea: Barcelona(too much depth!)
Liverpool - Bayer Leverkusen: Liverpool
Juventus - Real Madrid: Juventus
View Public Profile Find more posts by metoh Add metoh to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(20-Feb-2005 at 12:40)

Milan - Man Utd: Manutd
Barcelona - Chelsea: Chelsea
Juventus - Real Madrid: Read Madrid

Barcelona v chelsea is going to be awesome, best two teams in europe at the moment. Its pretty cool all the tops teams are playing each other- the top two teams from england, spain and italy are playing each other. Juve vs real is going to be an awesome game as well, Real are getting in some serious form, just as juve's good run is slowing down a bit..
View Public Profile Find more posts by ramlamb Add ramlamb to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(20-Feb-2005 at 13:06)

Barcelona - Chelsea: Barcelona (Chelsea haven't faced anyone this good yet and i think they will crumble)
Juventus - Real Madrid: Real Madrid (they're hitting form)
Lyon - Werder Bremen: Werder Bremen

Hardest game to call is Barca v Chelsea but i think Barca have too much talent to lose to Chelsea. Kinda funny that both teams aren't playing well atm but i expect this match to be awesome.

I'm a Liverpool fan and revenge would be sweet and i think we just have the edge over them although with no Gerrard, Alonso or Moro for the home tie it will be hard.

LLUA

Retired Leader of The United Angels Alliance
View Public Profile Find more posts by Higgo UA Add Higgo UA to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as HimuraBattousai)
(20-Feb-2005 at 13:37)

Milan - Man Utd: Man Utd
FC Bayern - Arsenal: Bayern
Barcelona - Chelsea: Barcelona

Shevchenko isn't playing, while Man Utd is hitting form.
Arsenal isn't really in form right now with all the injuries and the 1-1 draw in the FA Cup is the last thing they want.
Barcelona, definitely. They're in top condition and really, the class is oozing out of the club.
Real Madrid hits form just as Juve is losing it. Both teams had the worst buildup to the games though with Juve drawing and Real losing. Tough call but Real should win.

And no, Barcelona don't really have that much depth compared to Chelsea or even Man Utd. They keep playing the same players for every match but what will win them the match is the team spirit they have. Chelsea have team spirit too but Barcelona's will be bigger.

Great gig!
I ♥ emo kat!
Come join us at #mafiagame on IRC

Last edited by Morpheuz, 20-Feb-2005 at 13:42.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Morpheuz Add Morpheuz to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(20-Feb-2005 at 13:53)

I'm a Barcelona and Juventus fan...
dont like anyone in particular in EPL, I just hate chelsea and dont really like arsenal, but I'm not a united fan or any other team...
and in the bundesliga, hmmm... bayern, but I'm not really a fan of theirs or anything...

Warning:
N00B ALERT
View Public Profile Find more posts by zling Add zling to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Gotmoor)
(20-Feb-2005 at 14:19)

Some of these were quite hard to pick. I don't really follow football that seriously, so I have no idea about form and whatnot

Milan - Man Utd: Man United
Barcelona - Chelsea: Barcelona (thoughest pick though)
PSV - Monaco: Monaco, just for the fun of it

Oh, the names of the teams were copied from someone's post of course.

-------
"Im perfickly sobler!"
View Public Profile Find more posts by Tyhr Add Tyhr to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
(20-Feb-2005 at 17:59)

I'd say off the top of my head.

Milan - Man Utd: United.
Juventus - Real Madrid: Real

........Why does the thin grey strand......Ah, you will understand;.......................I should find, for a reprimand
.......Floating up from the forgotten......When I carried my mother downstairs,.....To my gaiety, a few long grey hairs
......Cigarette between my fingers,......A few times only, at the beginning..........On the breast of my coat; and one by one
.....Why does it trouble me?.............Of her soft-foot malady,.......................I watched them float up the dark chimney.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Swifty Add Swifty to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(20-Feb-2005 at 18:30)
Barcelona - Chelsea: Chelsea

I'm not concerning with much other than the Chelsea - Barcelona tie. Chelsea has Mourinho, so despire loosing the Flying Dutchman, I think his strategy will make up for it. Chelsea has got Cole ready to step in at AM, and if Drogba is healthy, an attack of Drogba up front with Duff and Lampard feeding him crosses could be rather good. All of them can score goals, and Mourinho has even commented that, if need be, he can play John Terry up front as a striker, due to his very good aerial and heading abilities.

Man UtD is in a rich vein of form, but I think that could come to an end. I could see Milan coming out on top there, despite the efforts of that sensational midfield UtD is fielding.

Deliverance | IRC: #deliverance

Why should I blame her that she filled my day/With misery, or that she would of late/Have taught ignorant men most violent ways
View Public Profile Find more posts by Brend Add Brend to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(20-Feb-2005 at 19:05)

Italians have great tactics, and they always seem to give english a hard time.

Bayern is one of my favs so im a little biased

This one is the most even, but barcelona has the advantage cause they have Marquez

Havent seen leverkusen alot, so really cant tell.

This one is also even, but ill go for the italians for having nedved and del piero

Adriano is just unstopable

They have a slightly better team.

Havent seen the a lot, so i dunno.

BTW, América is the best team in the world.

"You spoony bard!"

Last edited by TheIronMaiden, 20-Feb-2005 at 19:06.
Edit reason: forgot to mention something
View Public Profile Find more posts by TheIronMaiden Add TheIronMaiden to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(20-Feb-2005 at 19:26)

Hehe just to add to this, Chelsea are really going to struggle now, in their game against Newcastle this afternoon they lost Wayne Bridge with a suspected broken Ankle, Duff and Gallas were also both injured near the end so it doesn't look good for them at all.

LLUA

Retired Leader of The United Angels Alliance
View Public Profile Find more posts by Higgo UA Add Higgo UA to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(21-Feb-2005 at 01:21)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Higgo UA)

Hehe just to add to this, Chelsea are really going to struggle now, in their game against Newcastle this afternoon they lost Wayne Bridge with a suspected broken Ankle, Duff and Gallas were also both injured near the end so it doesn't look good for them at all.
I was about to mention this. You also forgot about Cudicini being sent off.

They are going to struggle without Bridge and Gallas. Is Carvalho fit again cause if not, they are without 3 good defenders.

The One and Only DMW
View Public Profile Find more posts by DeadMenWalking Add DeadMenWalking to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(21-Feb-2005 at 03:27)
Taken from my homepage, aka Chelsea's official team page...

"You have to ask. Did the Chelsea team coach run over a black cat on the way to St James? Park? How else to explain the dreadful luck that befell José Mourinho?s team this afternoon?"

Well, bloody good question to ask. My goodness, what a horrible series of events. Cudicini being sent off isn't a major problem-- he's second string to Cech anyways, though this means Cech has to play one more game than he otherwise would have needed to, unless Lenny Pidgeley is given the start.

As for Bridge, well, fuck. That's all I can say.

Quote:
They are going to struggle without Bridge and Gallas. Is Carvalho fit again cause if not, they are without 3 good defenders.
Carvalho was fit enough to start this gane today, so they've still got Terry, Johnson and the aforementioned Carvalho. Geremi and Jarosik can both play defence, and Geremi plays right-back well, in addition to midfield. Mourinho could play Terry and Carvalho up the middle, with Johnson on the left and Geremi on the right. Might not be Johnson's first choice to play at left-back, but it might be necessary.

In the youth system, Chelsea has got Sam Tillen who could conceivably play left-back, if no one else can. It's a bad time for Joe Keenan to be on loan at Westerlo-- he's probably the most well-developed left-back in Chelsea's reserves.

Deliverance | IRC: #deliverance

Why should I blame her that she filled my day/With misery, or that she would of late/Have taught ignorant men most violent ways
View Public Profile Find more posts by Brend Add Brend to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Lodewijk)
Donated $4.04
(21-Feb-2005 at 05:43)

http://www.football365.com/news/story_144102.shtml

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Ballack is out of the Gooner's clash! Aaaaaaah I'm crying here I love Bayern, and I love them doubly so when they're playing Arsenal...this sucks so much, they're going to struggle hard without him

Quote:
Carvalho was fit enough to start this gane today, so they've still got Terry, Johnson and the aforementioned Carvalho. Geremi and Jarosik can both play defence, and Geremi plays right-back well, in addition to midfield. Mourinho could play Terry and Carvalho up the middle, with Johnson on the left and Geremi on the right. Might not be Johnson's first choice to play at left-back, but it might be necessary.
Hmmm, I wouldn't want Johnson at left back against Barca...imagine him trying to deal with the likes of Belletti and Giuly ripping down that right flank...I'll bet Jose wishes he had Ashley Cole now And Duff out is a bitch, now they're without two of the best inside forwards in the world (Robben and Duff play more like the inside forwards of old, than genuine wingers.) But seeing as how it's Chelsea...

Suck. The two area where you have the least depth (down the flanks and at left back) and that's where the injuries happened. Chelsea should seriously think about making a run at Zambrotta or Jankulovski (before Milano get him!), a world-class player that can play down either flank, at either position. Instead of a specifically left back, like Cole.

Oh and Brend, I forgot, Ferreira can play left back as well. In fact, he has been playing left back for a lot of the season. Whether he will be fit for Barca is questionable though...

And I'm surprised so many people are picking Lyon over SV Werder Bremen...Lyon have only got a few really really good players (Govou, Essien, Juninho Pernambucano, Nilmar) while Werder have Klasnic, Klose, Micoud, Listzes, Ernst, Valdez etc. I'm not saying that Werder will def. win, but I wouldn't expect people to be almost unanimous about a Lyon win...
(21-Feb-2005 at 05:48)

Obviously many people remembered their performance against Man Utd in the group stages. or they are just copy & pasting.

Arsenal is without Sol Campbell too while Bayern is without Ballack. Both influencial players. Might make a difference in the game.

Man Utd squad is all fit (4 strikers for the first time this season) with the exception of Fletcher who is out for 2 months. Milan is without Sheva only I think.

The One and Only DMW
(Posted as HimuraBattousai)
(21-Feb-2005 at 12:23)

I'd rather see Ferguson rest Van Nistelrooy as he's not really match fit currently. Maybe RVN will play as a second-half sub.

Great gig!
I ♥ emo kat!
Come join us at #mafiagame on IRC
View Public Profile Find more posts by Morpheuz Add Morpheuz to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Lodewijk)
Donated $4.04
(22-Feb-2005 at 08:18)

Nah, he's too good. Whatever else people say about him, the guy is a wonderful finisher, and he is a genuine striker - i.e., he plays up and through the middle, unlike Rooney + Smith. I think Stam could be vulnerable to Ruud popping up on his inside shoulder, he's lost a lot of his ability to turn quickly, with age.

Barca Chelski will be insane...I would give anything to be in Camp Nou for that one