Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > The Lunatic Asylum

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(Posted as Dirty Sage)
Donated $7.44
(30-Jun-2005 at 03:00)

How to play the part?

This Friday I'm going to a party and my friends have convinced me to act as if I was a...I don't know how to explain it. The kind of person you'd see in a coffeeshop reading poetry while some guy plays the bongos. They want me to become that.

Anyhow...since I'm NOT one of those people, and have little contact with those people, I thought I'd ask for some hints.

How do they talk? Walk? Are they big on hand gestures? What kind of cliche, stereotypical things should I say?

The less popular Sage
Really...most people forget who I am
But I was here first, damn it!

Willing to sell my soul for a Klondike Bar
View Public Profile Visit The Other Sage's homepage Find more posts by The Other Sage Add The Other Sage to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Faithless LgD)
(30-Jun-2005 at 03:03)

Black clothes, French barret(?), goatee, speak in metaphors and talk alot in philosphy. Drama is a big part. Act superior too.
View Public Profile Visit ShaggySnacks's homepage Find more posts by ShaggySnacks Add ShaggySnacks to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Research Group
Donated $3.01
(30-Jun-2005 at 03:13)

Here's an idea: punch your friends in the face, because when people see that type of person at a party, they end up punching THEM in the face. I figure, better you punch your friends out than have people punching you out, right?

But, if you insist, Wear a lot of black, act depressed. Talk in a sort of fragmented sentence structure:

Quote:
I feel like. My stomach. It turns when I. Try to think. Of you naked. You make me so sick. It hurts me so. Much I can't bear it.
You get the idea.
View Public Profile Find more posts by QuantumChaos Add QuantumChaos to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(30-Jun-2005 at 03:19)
Yep the guys above me have the right idea (esp. the punching your mates) the BLACK french barret is a must tho

UT's longest lurker MOO
Has finally made the 50 visible post needed to play the Rep game!
Thanks to SM Tengu for my first WARNING POINT!!!
View Public Profile Find more posts by Johnytown Add Johnytown to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(30-Jun-2005 at 03:27)

Don't bathe, and make sure the hair that peeks out from under your beret is very greasy.

I'm not sure those people speak to others very often. If you must vocalize, talk about that one Monet that made you cry.
View Public Profile Find more posts by emo kat Add emo kat to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Dirty Sage)
Donated $7.44
(30-Jun-2005 at 03:58)

Quote:
talk alot in philosphy
Any particular kind of philosophy that they're interested in? Or just in general?

Quote:
Here's an idea: punch your friends in the face
Nah, nobody there is going to end up punching me in the face. I'm going to know 90% of the people at the party, and they'll be amused.

Quote:
Talk in a sort of fragmented sentence structure
Hahahahaha...oh god that's going to be so hard...my usual way of talking is long and flowy sentences.

Quote:
If you must vocalize, talk about that one Monet that made you cry.
Should I actually tear up when talking about it?

The less popular Sage

View Public Profile Visit The Other Sage's homepage Find more posts by The Other Sage Add The Other Sage to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $0.88
(30-Jun-2005 at 04:11)

Read some Poe, and some Jack Kerouac. The black is nesicary but not the hat. Smoke some clove cigarettes.

Heisenberg may have slept here. But we'll never know how fast asleep he was
Good god...
To the rapturous, wild, and ineffable pleasure of drinking at somebody else’s expense.

Adding to entropy...
View Public Profile Find more posts by Kyleesha Add Kyleesha to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
Research Group
Donated $25.30
(30-Jun-2005 at 04:54)

I think you guys are confusing two diffrent stereotypes here .. there is a big diffrence between goths and beatnicks<sp?>

What dirty sages friend is suggesting is NOT to be goth but the other one

One: Dont act depressed ... thats the key to being goth, thats NOT what you are wanting

Two: Wearing black is a MUST .. though goths wear black as well it goes with both

Overall though .. go with what Faithless posted since thats what you are aiming for .. keep in mind to stay away from the goth side of it all

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"
R.I.P. InJustice!
Hit me up on Facebook

EWE-tah
View Public Profile Find more posts by Saint Sinner Add Saint Sinner to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
Donated $41.00
(30-Jun-2005 at 05:14)

lightbulb Ummm...

My advice... be yourself... being something your not will only make you look stupid just look at those white kids who think they aren't white...

Last edited by Valek, 30-Jun-2005 at 05:15.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Valek Add Valek to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Dirty Sage)
Donated $7.44
(30-Jun-2005 at 05:17)

I am 100% myself, and always act that way. That fact has repelled some people, as my real self is a little crazy. But my friends are real ones.

But I have some acting skills and occasionally I enjoy playing a role.

In fact, occasionally pretending to be someone completely different IS being myself.

The less popular Sage

(30-Jun-2005 at 06:46)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Dirty Sage)

Any particular kind of philosophy that they're interested in? Or just in general?
Talk about love and the earth and question the way things are.
Every once in a while get into a deep thought then say you have to write something down and walk outside for a bit.
Pace back and forth when you smoke (if you smoke).
All I can think of for now. :P
View Public Profile Find more posts by Ramalad Add Ramalad to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Faithless LgD)
(30-Jun-2005 at 07:04)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Dirty Sage)

Life, religion, politics. Msotly modern day stuff.
View Public Profile Visit ShaggySnacks's homepage Find more posts by ShaggySnacks Add ShaggySnacks to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(30-Jun-2005 at 08:16)

Quote:
The kind of person you'd see in a coffeeshop reading poetry while some guy plays the bongos.
never seen anything like that, wahtas a bongo?

google here i come

YOU BLEW MY MIND, NOW BLOW ME!

Last edited by AurumVenom, 30-Jun-2005 at 08:18.
Edit reason: Google search appers to have found a picture of a boobie, Edit # 2: False alarm,it was a head.
View Public Profile Find more posts by AurumVenom Add AurumVenom to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Old Tia It's a girl!
Donated $3.28
(30-Jun-2005 at 09:33)

Get one of those longish beatnik cigarette holder thingies and smoke all day

Then you wouldn't have to talk in fragmented sentences much.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Tia Add Tia to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(30-Jun-2005 at 12:19)

I'm confused, do you mean jamaican reggea people, or pale depressed gothics? My hunch says the first.. in which case you need to act terribly slow, in a relaxed way, wear lots of colors and stuff.

Sorry, I couldn't stop myself
Signature recreated by Thijmen X to violate the boringness.
Smiter in name of the Ascendents / Psychic member of BB #1,2,3 and 4 and host of BB 5 / Official Trainer, Hero and Owner of EmoKat/Kerri/Beertje
View Public Profile Find more posts by The Binkster Add The Binkster to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(30-Jun-2005 at 12:25)
get a old mans pipe! you allways see that kinda people with pipe in there mouth but never light it..... atleast the times i saw people like that....

and another good tip is if you get involved in a discusion get all the attention to you say someting that sounds really smart and raise your finger and turn around and walk away.... ! must be funny as hell

aight thats it startfiend this is war now!!! suspending my siggy cause its more then 60pixels bah!
View Public Profile Find more posts by darkfly Add darkfly to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $26.92
(30-Jun-2005 at 13:18)

grr..

As resident acting Gu-Ru I thought it best to hop in here.

First off, you need to buy john lennon shades (the little circle ones) Next grow a soul patch. Dye your hair and soul patch black, if you haven't done so. Listen to some jazz and drink expensive coffee.

The character sterotype you're trying to play is a laid back and relaxed jazz enthusiast. Snap your fingers to a rhythm only you can hear, and say "Man" and "Daddio" alot. You should be constantly stuck in your own head, and be shy of any sort of confrontation, which will be fun to play, because all plays are based on confrontation.

After that, I'd have to read the script to help you.

~Tathlyn, the Mirthful Sage°
Is much more famous than YOU.
what I've been up to --->
(www.bravobodyart.com)
View Public Profile Visit Tathlyn's homepage Find more posts by Tathlyn Add Tathlyn to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(User is Banned)
Donated $2.04
(30-Jun-2005 at 14:50)
Quote:
Talk about Derrida, Foucault, Judith Butler and Lucan, and maybe a Marxist or two in there like Althusser or Anthony Negri.

Guaranteed to make you sound pretentious. Which I am guessing is the look you are going for.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Kazac Add Kazac to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $5.36
(30-Jun-2005 at 16:08)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Kazac)

Talk about Derrida, Foucault, Judith Butler and Lucan, and maybe a Marxist or two in there like Althusser or Anthony Negri.

Guaranteed to make you sound pretentious. Which I am guessing is the look you are going for.
Lucan, the UT user?

Really, if you're going to be a beatnik type, the philosophy you want to lean towards is probably existensialism.

No Comment
View Public Profile Find more posts by BrandonC Add BrandonC to your Buddy List Reply with Quote