Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > Other Games' Forums > World of Warcraft

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
WoW Moderator
Donated $22.00
(05-Aug-2007 at 12:17)

The Wrath of the Lich King - 2nd expansion

http://www.wow-europe.com/wrath/

And the rumors from before the official announcement:

Quote:
New rumors are coming in about the next World of Warcraft expansion, and yet again they involve the continent of Northrend. It's very important to keep in mind that these are just rumors right now, but there has been a feature list found(in German - presumably for the Games Convention in Leipzig) as well as a FAQ. The FAQ is in English, and I've pasted some of the more pertinent pieces below. You'll want to check out wowszene.de for the full FAQ.

Features

* The continent of Northrend added to the world of Azeroth. Northrend is about the size of Outland.
* Content for players level 68 and up.
* Level cap increased from 70 to 80.
* Brand new abilities and talents introduced.
* New "Hero" class added - the Death Knight; this class will need to be unlocked through certain criteria before it becomes available.
* New Profession: Inscriptions - allowing you to permanently enhance spells and abilities.
* Siege Weapons and Destructable Buildings added to the PvP landscape, as well as a new Battleground.
* A plethora of new Dungeons, including 25-player Raid Dungeons and Heroic variants.
* An abundance of new quests, monsters, items, and recipes.

FAQ for World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King

What are the features of the new expansion?

Wrath of the Lich King builds on the rich foundation established in World of Warcraft and The Burning Crusade, providing a wealth of new content for players to explore. The harsh, forbidding continent of Northrend, home of the Lich King and his undead minions, will be uncovered on the world map, and to contend with the new challenges found there, players will be able to advance to level 80, acquiring potent new abilities and talents along the way.

In addition, Wrath of the Lich King will introduce the death knight hero class to World of Warcraft. Once certain criteria are met, players will be able to create a new death knight character, which will start at a high level. Furthermore, player-vs.-player battles will reach a new level of intensity with the addition of siege weapons and destructible buildings, not to mention a new battleground. There will also be an abundance of new quests, dungeons, monsters, items, and recipes -- as well as a new profession, inscription -- for players to try out. The expansion will include some additional character-customization options for players as well. We'll be going into more detail on all of these features in the months ahead.

How will the death knight class fit into the game?

The death knight combines martial prowess with dark, necromantic energies. Players might be familiar with the death knight from previously released Warcraft games -- most recently, in the campaigns for Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and the Frozen Throne expansion, the former paladin Arthas became a death knight and wreaked havoc across Azeroth and Northrend before fusing with the spirit of Ner'zhul to become the Lich King. The death knight is the first hero class in World of Warcraft; once certain criteria are met, players will unlock the ability to create a new death knight character, which will begin play at a high experience level. We're currently exploring various options for how the death knight will play and the types of abilities at its disposal, and we'll be revealing more information about this new class as we get further along in development.

What role will the death knight play in groups and raids?

In general terms, the death knight can be considered a type of class that combines damage dealing and tanking, but naturally it will have an array of unique abilities as well.

What races will be allowed to play death knights?

We haven't yet made a final determination about which races can be death knights. However, the class will be available to both the Alliance and the Horde.

What is the story background of the expansion?

Players last visited Northrend in the Warcraft III expansion, when Arthas Menethil fused with the spirit of Ner'zhul to become the Lich King, one of the most powerful entities in the Warcraft universe. He now broods atop the Frozen Throne, deep in Icecrown Citadel, clutching the rune blade Frostmourne and marshaling the undead armies of the Scourge. In Wrath of the Lich King, the greatest champions of the Alliance and the Horde will do battle with the Scourge amid Northrend's howling winds and fields of jagged ice, and ultimately face the Lich King himself.

Will players actually get to encounter Arthas himself?

Players will be skirmishing with the minions of Arthas from the moment they set foot on Northrend. He will be a constant presence as players progress through the expansion content -- which will culminate in a showdown with the dread Lich King himself.

What can you reveal about Northrend?

The first area of Northrend we're showcasing is the Howling Fjord, a region of grasslands overlooking massive cliffs at the southeastern edge of the continent. This, along with the Borean Tundra, is the front line of the war against Arthas, and players will come face to face with his minions as soon as they set foot on Northrend. Eventually, as players progress further, they will explore the Grizzly Hills, Dragonblight, and more. We'll be showing off some of these new areas in the months ahead.
So, what's everyone's thoughts?
I know a lot of people in my guild are really upset with a few things, mainly the Death Knight-thing. The only right way to have done that was by some sort of talents (either new tiers in the existing trees, or a new 4th tree). But now, it sounds like it's going to be some premade character that starts at high level? Doesn't that sort of change the whole game concept of starting at lvl 1 and working the way up, developing your character?

And then there's of course the usual "all the gear we're working our asses of for now will be useless when the expansion comes!". But I don't see a way to negate that, really... But the expansion is probably going to take a good long while to finish, so is there any reason to give up raiding already??

Hmmmm... I think I need a new signature
View Public Profile Visit Sossy's homepage Find more posts by Sossy Add Sossy to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(05-Aug-2007 at 14:16)
About raiding, I would say most likely not a reason to stop raiding. There will probs be more updates with more instances and so on that need the gear to get to and do well in without waiting for the expansion pack.

I've not played in a while, but there is meant to be that one coming up in Ghost Lands that is like ZG wasn't there? Or has that come already?
View Public Profile Find more posts by The Killer Add The Killer to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
(05-Aug-2007 at 14:34)

I think we're looking at Janurary for release... and I think anyone who complains about their gear becoming obsolete needs to reassess why they are playing. The point of raiding is to accomplish feats as a team. The epics are just part of the progression that is needed to accomplish more. Nothing else.

The Death Knight will be intresting to see how that turns out. Personally I'm glad it begins at a higher level. Lets face it most people have gone through the early levels so many times already, that it's just boring. Although from what I read, the Death Knights system is based on runes - will be good to see how that plays out. Be nice to not be reliant on mana/rage.

People, like snowflakes, are all slightly different, but we all follow the same patterns -Stewie
Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

Some people are like Slinkies- absolutely useless, but always fun to push down stairs!
View Public Profile Find more posts by Azure Dragon Add Azure Dragon to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
WoW Moderator
Donated $22.00
(05-Aug-2007 at 14:59)

Re: The Wrath of the Lich King - 2nd expansion

Originally Posted by The Killer: View Post
About raiding, I would say most likely not a reason to stop raiding. There will probs be more updates with more instances and so on that need the gear to get to and do well in without waiting for the expansion pack.

I've not played in a while, but there is meant to be that one coming up in Ghost Lands that is like ZG wasn't there? Or has that come already?
You're talking about the next content patch (2.2 I think?) - it's currently on the test realms (the instance is called Zul'Aman). You can read about that HERE and HERE or maybe HERE

The Wrath of the Lich King is however a full expansion pack, like the Burning Crusade was.

View Public Profile Visit Sossy's homepage Find more posts by Sossy Add Sossy to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as DeRnhelm)
Donated $11.54
(05-Aug-2007 at 17:08)

Nihilum needs something to do

~ŠeRn~
BTW: You Are All Buffle Headed
View Public Profile Find more posts by DeRn HaLL Add DeRn HaLL to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(06-Aug-2007 at 00:59)

I see this coming out later than january although I wouldn't be shocked if they did it as close to a year from tbc as possible. I'd be expecting mid second quarter if it's not january.

I'm a fan of not having to level up the death knight

If life gets rough beat it with a stick.
Join #bar, commies aren't welcome.
Join #mafiagame, for the greatest mafia experience on IRC!
View Public Profile Find more posts by VantagePoint Add VantagePoint to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(06-Aug-2007 at 01:40)

If Death Knight is the only new class, I'd be very disappointed.

I want more classes! More! I also don't like how special they're making them (rune sytem), because it'll make even more people play it.
Hopefully they'll add a few more hero classes so there will be some variance in the characters. I really hope so.
New races I don't care much about, so those can be left out

It's a shame it's coming so fast, though. I feel like my rep-grinding and such that I am about to do is useless, and that the arena gear I'm fighting for won't be worth squat once I get some quest rewards in Northrend.
But we'll see I suppose. Hopefully it'll be quite a while before the new expansion comes out. Bet not many people feel that way, but there you have it

---
--

(Hey Hopey!)
View Public Profile Find more posts by Lunor Add Lunor to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
WoW Moderator
Donated $22.00
(06-Aug-2007 at 10:28)

I don't think it'll be ready for january, but we'll see

Global Moderator
(06-Aug-2007 at 18:37)

They had TBC ready in about the same time from announcement, and they have said they want to release an expansion every year.

From what I gather Death Knight will be the only Hero class launched with the expansion it seems, but more hero classes are on the way after, apprently.

People, like snowflakes, are all slightly different, but we all follow the same patterns -Stewie

Some people are like Slinkies- absolutely useless, but always fun to push down stairs!
View Public Profile Find more posts by Azure Dragon Add Azure Dragon to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(07-Aug-2007 at 01:19)

no from tbc annoucemnt it was longer because they had time to do an april fools joke (the wisp), which was about 4 months ago and I'm sure they had it announced well before that too.

View Public Profile Find more posts by VantagePoint Add VantagePoint to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(07-Aug-2007 at 01:51)

/sigh,back to boring PvE Affliction spec

Trailor : http://media.worldofwarcraft.com/wra...h_king_en.html

Property of the Aerath Triads!!
"It is only one who is thoroughly acquainted with the evils of war that can thoroughly understand the profitable way of carrying it on" - Sun Tzu
Dangerously Seductive

Last edited by Kasumi, 07-Aug-2007 at 01:55.
Edit reason: fixed link
View Public Profile Find more posts by Kasumi Add Kasumi to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
WoW Moderator
Donated $22.00
(07-Aug-2007 at 09:31)

Didn't it take like a whole year longer? Wisp april fools wasn't this year, but last year (so it was announced before april last year). If I remember correctly, it was announced to air in Oct last year, but didn't arrive till january this year..

Which is why I doubt it'll be out in jan, but as I said, we'll see.

As I'm not much of a raider, I think it'll be fun with 10 new levels and new quests etc. I can see why raiders don't like it much, but that must mean raiders are loot whores? At least those who complain. I'm a bit sad that I'm missing so much content (Naxx, most of AQ40, all raid instances in Outland/CoT (though I will see Karazhan)).
It's strange the Blizzard developers don't feel like their talents are wasted? (maybe they do, meh)

(07-Aug-2007 at 09:44)

I'm not a raider, I'm a very casual player. That is why I feel I'm getting the shaft on this. I'm not done in Outland yet. Not yet at all.

I leveled my mage to 70 a while ago and did some dungeons. But now I started my arena matches (up to 1500 arena points now ), am leveling my Warrior (66) and Shaman (67), but I still want to Arena with those two!
And I want to do dungeons with them, up to a few heroics maybe. And take at least one of those guys into Kara. I also want some rep, get some nice designs, maybe craft some stuff. I still need to change a whole proficiency around (unfortunately my Mage will need Tailoring and my Warrior will need Blacksmithing, which makes me cry on the inside).
Hopefully I'll have just enough time to do that and get bored. If I do, Blizz are heroes. If they don't, they are greedy devils

Truth is right now I'm not ready for the expansion. I am just not done in Outland. Not by a long shot.
Oh and before someone suggests it: waiting with buying WotLK and doing all this stuff while everyone is out in Northrend isn't an option, I hope that's obvious.

---
--

(Hey Hopey!)
View Public Profile Find more posts by Lunor Add Lunor to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(07-Aug-2007 at 10:24)

Ya Sossy that's what I meant this year they did the tin foil hat thing.

I'm really expecting it to be out right before next summer (more play time for all those high school students). So about a year in production would put us at summer-fall 08. However don't forget blizzard also has Starcraft 2 coming down the pipe and they definately don't want to relase WoTLK and SC2 really close together that doesn't make sense business wise.

As a casual raider (ok that means I only raid 3 or so nights a week for a few hours after i get home from work) I'm not upset with an x-pac. You should be raiding to 1) see more content in the game 2) enjoy the team work and satisfaction of downing challenges 3) not be obsessed with loot (see 2). The entire point of raiding is to replace loot with slightly better loot, and that just won't stop. So if you complain because your loot will be pointless in a few months because of an x-pac shouldn't you be upset whenever blizz releases new raids like zul'aman or BT as they too will just render your loot useless, as the saying goes less QQ more pew pew.

Not wanting an x-pac because you haven't finished with this one like lunor is reasonable imo.

WoW Moderator
Donated $22.00
(10-Aug-2007 at 10:35)

A guy in my guild just asked yesterday: "why even bother starting with Karazhan now when we'll be replacing our gear in 6 months with greens?"

Wtf?

Global Moderator
(10-Aug-2007 at 16:43)

sounds like he needs to be kicked... lol

(10-Aug-2007 at 23:02)

Originally Posted by Azure Dragon: View Post
sounds like he needs to be kicked... lol
Yeah. With that kind of attitude, why's he playing in the first place? It's the freakin' World of Warcraft! It's not about gear, it's about the experience! Granted, the entire thing is fictional but I feel a deep connection to it just like a connection to Harry Potter.

But on the current subject, I think Blizzard's been pumping content too fast. I barely got in the game and BC was already coming out a few months later. Now, I haven't played regularly by any standards but I'd like to. The problem is that I'm getting intimidated by all this new stuff every 6-12 months. Some people are probably dying to get new stuff to do for their level 70 characters (soon to be level 80) but I think it's too much too fast.

Signature suspended for violating the forum's rules.
Signature contained non-English.
"The translation has to be valid, and easily verifiable by a moderator doing a quick search on the Internet."
View Public Profile Find more posts by Draco Eudokus Add Draco Eudokus to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as DeRnhelm)
Donated $11.54
(11-Aug-2007 at 04:43)

We're all done with Karazhan xD
Why would he bother doing Kara only for gear?

~ŠeRn~
BTW: You Are All Buffle Headed
View Public Profile Find more posts by DeRn HaLL Add DeRn HaLL to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(11-Aug-2007 at 07:14)

heroic gear is so similar to kara gear it's not even funny.

Quote:
But on the current subject, I think Blizzard's been pumping content too fast. I barely got in the game and BC was already coming out a few months later. Now, I haven't played regularly by any standards but I'd like to. The problem is that I'm getting intimidated by all this new stuff every 6-12 months. Some people are probably dying to get new stuff to do for their level 70 characters (soon to be level 80) but I think it's too much too fast.
Well WoW had been out for several years before TBC so that one you started a little late. The new content ie instances is really just there for the top guilds as the "old" stuff will get hit with the nerf bat so more people can do it. And the next x-pac is at least a year away in my opinion, ecspecially because you know SC2 will come out before it and blizzard will want to wait another half year after that release or at least that's what I would do in their situation with 2 big money games coming down the pipe.

WoW Moderator
Donated $22.00
(12-Aug-2007 at 15:28)

Originally Posted by DeRnhelm: View Post
We're all done with Karazhan xD
Why would he bother doing Kara only for gear?
Not everyone are..

My guild is going to start very soon. But it's also a new guild, so it takes some time to get ready (get enough of the different classes, for example).

But I agree with Draco that the content is coming too fast. Just look at Naxxramas. It was not out for long, before it was already obsolete, since TBC came out. The designers who made Naxx must feel really unimportant