Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > Utopia Discussions > Research Laboratory > Previous Rounds' Discussions > Prior Round 15 Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(22-Dec-2001 at 18:11)
freak Homes vs Mills?

If I want to have an army as big as possible, should I go for mills or homes?

I am an elven sage, have about 1500 acers and have currently about 13.5% homes and 0% mills.

Will I be able to have a larger army if I change my homes into mills?

Mors ultima linea rerum est
ICQ# 134310691
View Public Profile Find more posts by Mynath Add Mynath to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Dec-2001 at 04:23)

13.5% homes....no mills???
Your util must be low if you have any army at all!!! lol
What's your whole Build strat?

Could it perhaps be that ... "WoD is lame?" <TopwolfUtopia> ... sorry huh?
"WoD is lame?" <TopwolfUtopia>
one more time
"WoD is lame" <TopwolfUtopia>
Thaaaat's right...
View Public Profile Find more posts by NeoTaz Add NeoTaz to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(30-Dec-2001 at 20:05)
If you want more troops while maintaining a high utilization, mills are the way to go (even for avians). I suggest to anyone who's a serious attacker to take 20% of their homes and convert them to mills. Since homes now count towards utilization, the amount of extra people this frees up for your military is phenomenal. The biggest advantage of homes over mills is you have more peasants to maintain the same utilization. More peasants gives more $$. I checked the math over a variety of sizes and mods, and the effects are linear. A 5000 acre avian Count with maxed housing science and a 500 acre faery peasant with no housing science will still both have a larger military with a higher utilization by using mills.

Of course, this presumes you have more than 20% of your land available for housing. Anyone interested in a serious amount of military will.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Moonsong Add Moonsong to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(30-Dec-2001 at 20:41)

I agree with moon....Take 20% of your land (used for homes) and convert to mills.....This is better than having 40% just homes or even 30% just homes.

one more time
Thaaaat's right...
View Public Profile Find more posts by NeoTaz Add NeoTaz to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(07-Jan-2002 at 07:12)
question

Better?
you sure?
i mean...with 20% mills and lets say 10% homes
you get less peasants right?
just the same uti...
less peasants means less army and less $$
.....?!?!?!?!?!
right now i have like 31% homes..
should i convert 20% to mills??????
View Public Profile Find more posts by Wildboar Add Wildboar to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(09-Jan-2002 at 02:26)

Depends on your draft....If u use banks/mines and stuff.

one more time
Thaaaat's right...
(11-Jan-2002 at 23:55)
Homes sweet homes

I would have to say that having more homes and therefore more peasents is an overall better strat. because if some crazy fireball loving kidnapper hits you when you don't have many peasents to begin with then your in deep dooky.
Also, if your kingdom is hit by a Dragon then you'll need lots more peasents and mills don't make peasents as well as homes.
Sure the mills will free up tons of peasents but you over-all will lose a bunch too, and to me it's just not worth it.
View Public Profile Find more posts by vespavel Add vespavel to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $4.76
(12-Jan-2002 at 07:06)

I'm at 3500 acres with 0% homes, 90% util(+ GW = 100%), 55 DPA, ##:## TPA, ##:## WPA.

And you dare to say mills suck?(homes might be better for some of my other buildings, but not the mills)

I'm not short, I'm....uh....I'M NOT SHORT!
View Public Profile Find more posts by Slow Smurf Add Slow Smurf to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(12-Jan-2002 at 17:34)

Been running 10% homes and 20% mills all age...
Have never been put in a peasant crisis and am able to draft in as many soldiers as I like.

one more time
Thaaaat's right...
(13-Jan-2002 at 09:43)

lightbulb

Mills sucks when i'm Avian!
For example if i have 1500 acres of land and so i have lets say without homes and without sci 1500*20=30000 population. Hmm... without homes i set draft to 60%.... so i have 18000 army. lets say my utilization is about 70%...

Building 20% Mills and 20% Homes
ModUtilization: 70*1.2=84
Homes Gives: 1500*0.2*10=3000
My Army: 18000*((ModUtilization - 70)/100 + 1) + 3000=23520

Building 40% Homes
My Homes: 1500*0.4=600
Aditional Population from homes: 600*10=6000
My Army: 18000+6000=24000

23520 vs 24000 ?
View Public Profile Find more posts by nkshs Add nkshs to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(14-Jan-2002 at 02:01)

Avian's homes house 30 people instead of 25

one more time
Thaaaat's right...
(14-Jan-2002 at 20:03)
lazy smile

I ahve been (reletively ) successfully been running ~11% homes and 20% mills since Y3. (note: I am an elf mage )
View Public Profile Find more posts by Wolffe Add Wolffe to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as L S D)
(15-Jan-2002 at 20:55)

You ALL forget the pop. sci

It's alright to hate George W. Bush
SM-barkeep, Rest in Peace YYA - Alliance still ruin utopian fun, The god of typos, WARNING!!! Posting at UT makes addictive

View Public Profile Visit Russian Sputnik's homepage Find more posts by Russian Sputnik Add Russian Sputnik to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(18-Jan-2002 at 19:05)

60% or more homes for avians does wonderful things.

For the non-avian (or low homes avian) mills seems to be better.
View Public Profile Find more posts by kostresa Add kostresa to your Buddy List Reply with Quote