Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Respectable General Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(Posted as Hippie Jean)
(04-Mar-2004 at 20:35)

Bush adds are exploiting 9/11 for political ends

Quote:
Bush ads anger some 9/11 families
Bush adviser: 'It really defined our future'

Thursday, March 4, 2004 Posted: 1.19 PM EST (1819 GMT)
Some families of September 11 victims are objecting to Bush-Cheney 2004 ads that use images from the assaults in New York City.

NEW YORK (AP) -- President Bush's re-election campaign on Thursday defended commercials using images from the September 11 terrorist attacks, including wreckage of the World Trade Center, as appropriate for an election about public policy and the war on terror.

Some families of the victims of the attacks are angry with Bush for airing the spots, which they called in poor taste and for the president's political gain. (Bush ads tout 'steady leadership')

"I respectfully, completely disagree," Bush adviser Karen Hughes said Thursday on CNN's "American Morning."

"Your viewers saw the ad. I think it's very tasteful. It's a reminder of our shared experience as a nation. I mean September 11th is not just some distant tragedy from the past, it really defined our future."

The first three ads, unveiled Wednesday at campaign headquarters in suburban Washington, will run on broadcast channels in about 80 markets in 18 states, most of which are expected to be critical to the election, and nationwide on select cable networks. (Bush takes aim at Kerry, Bush hits fund-raising trail)

"It's a slap in the face of the murders of 3,000 people," Monica Gabrielle, whose husband died in the twin towers, told the New York Daily News for its Thursday editions. "It is unconscionable."

Two of the spots show the destruction at the World Trade Center and include an American flag flying amid the debris.

They also feature images of firefighters working through the wreckage.

"It's as sick as people who stole things out of the place," said Firefighter Tommy Fee of Queens Rescue Squad 270. "The image of firefighters at ground zero should not be used for this stuff, for politics."

The ads do not mention Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry, focusing instead on improving Bush's image after criticism by Democrats in recent months.

"I would be less offended if he showed a picture of himself in front of the Statue of Liberty," said Tom Roger, whose daughter perished on American Airlines Flight 11.

"But to show the horror of 9/11 in the background, that's just some advertising agency's attempt to grab people by the throat."
http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/....ap/index.html

I must say than I am absolutely disgusted than Bush is trying to use 9/11 to rise his popularity. This is simply an unacceptable behaviour from a president.

I tought than Bush had at least the good taste to not exploit those attacks for political gain. I overestimated him another time

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. - American Declaration of Independance, July 4th, 1776
View Public Profile Find more posts by Jean831112 Add Jean831112 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(04-Mar-2004 at 20:40)

This isn't news, it's standard operating procedure for Bush and his cronies.

"I KEEK A TOUCHDOWN!" - Garo Yepremian
View Public Profile Find more posts by Sister Klon Add Sister Klon to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(04-Mar-2004 at 20:42)

I guess the Mission Accomplished-clips aren't good enough anymore, huh.
that is indeed in very bad taste, and it must be sickening to anybody who lost family or friends then.

i hope the Democrats rip him a new one for that. that's just a tad too far.

it's not like the Republicans own 09/11, after all...
View Public Profile Find more posts by Subterranean Add Subterranean to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Hippie Jean)
(04-Mar-2004 at 20:43)

Quote:
This isn't news, it's standard operating procedure for Bush and his cronies.
Really? This is really sad. I honestly didnt tought than Bush would sink that low.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. - American Declaration of Independance, July 4th, 1776
View Public Profile Find more posts by Jean831112 Add Jean831112 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(04-Mar-2004 at 20:49)

freak

as soon as i heard about this i was pissed but not surprised. Bush can feel his white house slipping away from him so he's pulling out whatever he thinks might make him look good in the end he just looks pathetic.

"I swear, the portion of my brain that handles The Simpsons just peed itself when I read that."-worstoe
Become a mod first
mods need to learn how to leave signatures alone
pissed-off
View Public Profile Find more posts by silverbeam Add silverbeam to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(04-Mar-2004 at 20:52)

That's just sick.... I mean, is he really expecting people to appreciate him exploiting a breach in national security that caused thousands of deaths (and sparked one invasion) for.... Political gain? I'd be more disgusted than if the Japanese invasion of Pearl Harbor was used to support Roosevelt, or maybe to sell hamburgers. This is just exploitation of families' sorrow...

Top results for the Economic Literacy pop quiz - take the Economic Literacy Quiz now!
1. Pip Squeek with 10 points!
2. Jasse, Kazac, chessness, Lonely Tylenol (Me) with 8 points
3. alero, Amanema Tsukihi, cdndude83, ebeneezer, Gus Mackay, Iranos, Lodewijk, Michael1, Seint, sparky wizzle, WillowWalker with 7 points
View Public Profile Find more posts by Lonely Tylenol Add Lonely Tylenol to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(04-Mar-2004 at 20:56)

you can't sell hamburgers with 09/11, but ads for bus or train travel should work.
life insurances, too. "Buy a home or office in the countryside, 80% lesser chance of terr'rist attack!"

tasteless, hm. yeah well.

Last edited by Subterranean, 04-Mar-2004 at 20:57.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Subterranean Add Subterranean to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(04-Mar-2004 at 21:00)

You can use it to sell Fries though, First you force people to strain really hard to link the attack to Iraq, then you use it justify a war in Iraq, then France is Logical and says "You're being really stupid, friend". And then you decide to rename all you fried Freedom Fries. I'm surprised they didn't rename the Hamburger the District of Columbian in protest of Germany.

View Public Profile Find more posts by Sister Klon Add Sister Klon to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(04-Mar-2004 at 21:02)

Quote:
you can't sell hamburgers with 09/11, but ads for bus or train travel should work.
life insurances, too. "Buy a home or office in the countryside, 80% lesser chance of terr'rist attack!"

tasteless, hm. yeah well.
I was making a point. Exploiting a tragedy for marketing profit is at least as bad as using it for political profit.

Anyway, under whose jurisdiction would it be wise to exploit deaths for ANY profit, let alone publicly?

These ads are nothing but an insult to the American people, and fuel for anti-Americans. (Like they're not gonna use this...)

Top results for the Economic Literacy pop quiz - take the Economic Literacy Quiz now!
3. alero, Amanema Tsukihi, cdndude83, ebeneezer, Gus Mackay, Iranos, Lodewijk, Michael1, Seint, sparky wizzle, WillowWalker with 7 points
View Public Profile Find more posts by Lonely Tylenol Add Lonely Tylenol to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Honorary Member
(04-Mar-2004 at 21:09)

the add featured the major events of his term in office, how could 9/11 be missed out, it was the major event and his hadling of it is the key most probably to assesing his presidency.

Getting banned is not smart, nor cool. - Swifty
View Public Profile Find more posts by Jasse Add Jasse to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(04-Mar-2004 at 21:16)

You have no respect for the dead Jasse.

Old a21
(04-Mar-2004 at 21:17)
I'm just glad that Bush will lose the upcoming election (unless his "family" got its hand on those counting-machines... which isn't that unlikely after what happened with the last "election" - and the way it was widely ignored).
View Public Profile Find more posts by a21 Add a21 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(04-Mar-2004 at 21:17)

Jasse, is Sharon running ads with bombed out buses, bombed cafes being searched for bodies...?

Last edited by Subterranean, 04-Mar-2004 at 21:17.
Honorary Member
(04-Mar-2004 at 21:18)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Sister Klon)

You have no respect for the dead Jasse.
don't be such an idiot, more people died in vietnam which has been extensivly used by kerry, is this disresectfull to the dead? and you failed to adress anything i said which i guess means you cannot.

View Public Profile Find more posts by Jasse Add Jasse to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Honorary Member
(04-Mar-2004 at 21:22)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Subterranean)

Jasse, is Sharon running ads with bombed out buses, bombed cafes being searched for bodies...?
i honestly don't know but if an event as significant as that happened and he ran an add showing major events of the term i would most definately assume yes.

What about programs which show moments from the previous years that ma show this. what about programns on it those following what happened following around the fire dept are these disrespectfull?

Bush did not run a 9/11 add, he ran an add showing iraq, afganistan and that and im sure he runs adds on other things he is pointing out all the major events of his term.

(04-Mar-2004 at 21:23)

Sure I can, I just chose not to. And did I say I approved of Kerry's use of Vietname footage, and anyway the footage he uses is of him walking, in his uniform, not of people dieing.

It's a mark of his Presidency that he's been using The attacks on september 11th to Justify absolutely everything. In fact I seem to remember Arie Fleischer saying something exactly like that.

He keeps saying the world is different since September 11th and then using it to try to make people accept the killing of more than threee times the number of civllians that were killed on that day.

And who says that the people who died in those towers would want their memories used to support Bush?

Honorary Member
(04-Mar-2004 at 21:28)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Sister Klon)

Sure I can, I just chose not to. And did I say I approved of Kerry's use of Vietname footage, and anyway the footage he uses is of him walking, in his uniform, not of people dieing.

It's a mark of his Presidency that he's been using The attacks on september 11th to Justify absolutely everything. In fact I seem to remember Arie Fleischer saying something exactly like that.

He keeps saying the world is different since September 11th and then using it to try to make people accept the killing of more than threee times the number of civllians that were killed on that day.

And who says that the people who died in those towers would want their memories used to support Bush?
Of course you choose not to, i'll probably make you look even more ridiculous then you do already, you just post an irelevant hostile coment at me.

And any prseident marking major events of their term will probably encounter deaths does that mean they cannot point out their handling of the situation when this most definately is a major factor people consider when selecting who they will vote for?

And other deaths are unrelated things, how many died in the kosovo campaign? how many died in WWII, does it make it wrong to use peal harbour to justify its entry, i mean it asn't germany who attacked.

(04-Mar-2004 at 21:32)

If you didn't notice I then told you why......'went right over your head...

(04-Mar-2004 at 21:33)

Quote:
Honestly, Sister Klon, I don't know.

That's what I meant by exploiting the lost lives, by the way. Using a trajedy that killed thousands and forcing anyone who sees it to remember their lost loves to support the election/reelection of someone in a set of office (in this case, President) is just... Bleh. This makes Klon's post on fries seem probable. I can see it now. "9-11 killed thousands of people... The French cruelly allowed to support our defending our proud country... So buy some freedom fries, and support the troops. At BK, you got it!"

I dare you to tell me that isn't a sick example of exploitation (though it's yet to be used).

Last edited by Lonely Tylenol, 04-Mar-2004 at 21:34.
Edit reason: Forgot the quote?
(04-Mar-2004 at 21:38)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Jasse)

the add featured the major events of his term in office, how could 9/11 be missed out, it was the major event and his hadling of it is the key most probably to assesing his presidency.
No kidding. You guys are taking this a little too far; seriously. 9/11 was a HUGE event in America's history, and Bush was our president during that time. I think it's fine that he reminds us what we've been through together, and reminds us why everything that's happening now is happening.

Now if he would have said that those 3,000 people would have voted for him, or that they're thankful for him, or anything to do with those who died, then I might be a little concerned.

"To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge" -Disraeli
"As for me, all I know is that I know nothing" - Socrates
View Public Profile Find more posts by TyBrad11 Add TyBrad11 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote