Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Polls Heaven

View Poll Results: Your opinions on Campbell's goal?
Yes, pefectly valid - allow it! 38 33.33%
No way, the ref was right - disallow it! 41 35.96%
Probably OK. 4 3.51%
Didn't get a good look, but it appeared faulty. 7 6.14%
Who's Campbell? 24 21.05%
Who voted? Voters: 114
You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(25-Jun-2004 at 16:06)

We were robbed (EU 2004)!

I know I'm going to sound sad and immature, but I can't stop thinking about that stupid decision not to allow Campbell's goal in the England/Portugal match - if it had been allowed, we'd have gone through without having to do a ridiculous penalty shootout. the linesman (who allowed it) was clearly in a better position to see it than the ref was - despite this the stupid git decided in Portugal's favour! Don't get me wrong, Portugal played an excellent game, but we'd have won if that goal had gone through. So, what are people's opinion of the goal?

[right]Signature suspended by Starfriend for violating the forum's rules.
Damn you Naz! Damn yooooouu!
Hey, is that a mod wand?

Last edited by Burningboy, 25-Jun-2004 at 16:11.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Burningboy Add Burningboy to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(25-Jun-2004 at 16:16)

grr, stupid swiss ref.

how is it fair to allow a swiss person (who we thrashed quite badly (sorry to any swiss ppl out there)) to ref one of our most important matches in the tournament?! a stupid decision by UEFA imo. and before people go on and say "oh but the draw is completeley random," i know. That doesn't stop it being a ridiculous move.

go to his webpage to give him a bit of feedback...

i know it seems petty, but it's an annoying decision

EDIT: this was also v harsh on Campbell, as exactly the same thing happened vs Argentina in the '02 World Cup

Chillfrost, the Abducted
Twin/mysterious doppleganger of Burningboy, the Ascendant
*ahem* And i never supported Elan OR Mr Despot. Really. Never ever. Ask Bill

Last edited by Chillfrost, 25-Jun-2004 at 16:18.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Chillfrost Add Chillfrost to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(25-Jun-2004 at 16:24)
content

who cares about campbells goal hehe...

beckham destroyed the game- For the third time this year!!

England- kick him out of soccer!
View Public Profile Find more posts by MeeniMyniMo Add MeeniMyniMo to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $32.64
(25-Jun-2004 at 16:29)

A little something called Goalie interference??? The reply clearly showed that the goalie was stopped from making the catch.

That, and the fact that Campbell got leverage off of his own player.

After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one

The only reason we die, is because we accept it as an inevitability
View Public Profile Find more posts by Phased Add Phased to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(25-Jun-2004 at 16:35)
Go watch the replay again and open your eys this time. There was no way the goal keeper was getting the ball and terry stood his ground. The goalkeeper played for that because he knew he could'nt get to the ball. Portugal had 12 men playing for them that match and one of them was swiss.
View Public Profile Find more posts by APophis Vicious Add APophis Vicious to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(25-Jun-2004 at 16:40)

Valid goal indeed, but they were playing far too defensive after owens goal, gave the ball away far too easily and basically played chase the ball ...
View Public Profile Find more posts by westernesse Add westernesse to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(25-Jun-2004 at 17:09)

That referee ought to be decapitated!!!!!

I am crushed...I a mmiserable...I am utterly devestated!!! Doesn't help much that Rooney got his foot broken, Everton is my team.

"All I wanted out of life was just a little more than I deserved"
View Public Profile Find more posts by Hatter Add Hatter to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $32.64
(25-Jun-2004 at 17:12)

Quote:
(Originally posted by APophis Vicious)

Go watch the replay again and open your eys this time. There was no way the goal keeper was getting the ball and terry stood his ground. The goalkeeper played for that because he knew he could'nt get to the ball. Portugal had 12 men playing for them that match and one of them was swiss.
He couldn't get to the ball because someones arms were holding him down. he was right beside them! Couldn't get there? My ass.

After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one

View Public Profile Find more posts by Phased Add Phased to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(25-Jun-2004 at 17:16)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Phased)

He couldn't get to the ball because someones arms were holding him down. he was right beside them! Couldn't get there? My ass.
Are you blind!!!???? There was nobody holding down the goalkeeper. That bloody referee must have been bribed!

And if we are talking about unfairness...just look at how the referee favoured Po0rtugal in every other occasion giving them free kicks constantly. One of the portugese players broke Wayne Rooneys foot...and who got the free kick? Bloody Portugal did!!!

This was a very unfair game. England should have won. I usually like Portugal, but this was disgusting!!! I seriously hope that they get beaten in the next game. I don't care who wins as long as it's not bloody Portugal!

"All I wanted out of life was just a little more than I deserved"
View Public Profile Find more posts by Hatter Add Hatter to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(25-Jun-2004 at 17:20)
Campbell didn't do anything wrong really, he used Terry to get much higher then the keeper could in his jump thus heading it in. Terry was perhaps slightly obstructing the keeper but he was already standing there and not attacking or making it any harder for the keeper to get the ball. Because there is no rule that says that a player can't just stand there in the keeper's area. But anyway, the referee couldn't see and he had to decide what to do, I think in such a commotion, with a bad assistant referee that didn't help him at all probably, he made a normal decision which happens most of the time anyway because they always tend to protect the keeper when it looks slightly like he was fouled against. A shame, but that is the way the referee often goes..
View Public Profile Find more posts by Kuja VAT Add Kuja VAT to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $32.64
(25-Jun-2004 at 17:28)

Watch the goalies arms. Are they blocked from going up? Yes.

(25-Jun-2004 at 17:36)

The referee was favouring Portugal from the start, without a doubt. He also seemed to hate our black players. If England really do have that much "power" in world football, as you all seemed to love saying we did when gloating about us going out, I hope we get the b*stard sacked.
More to the point, I hope Ronaldo gets a tough time back in England. Diving fool. We managed to get Alpay sacked from Villa. I live in hope.

Biddycam is dead! Blame the people who worked out where it was.
http://www.zoooom.co.uk/livecam.htm
Valek was here. Well, not really
View Public Profile Find more posts by Ordy Add Ordy to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(25-Jun-2004 at 18:07)

Harsh but it was a foul.
Terry was obstructing the keeper by placing his hand over the keeper's.

Come on, it's not like he intentionally broke Rooney's leg. How could you use it as an excuse.

If you want to blame someone, go find Erikson. Why in the world did he keep Beckham in is beyond me. He was the most disappointing player in England team.

The One and Only DMW
View Public Profile Find more posts by DeadMenWalking Add DeadMenWalking to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(25-Jun-2004 at 18:35)

it was clearly a fault and the guy who did it knew what he was doing (one of the defenders it was i remember?)

Talking about robbed it was v. Nistelrooy who was robbed of the penalty vs Chzech Republic

Last edited by Scrim, 25-Jun-2004 at 18:37.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Scrim Add Scrim to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as F u S i o N)
(25-Jun-2004 at 18:44)

Didn't you know, mostly, hosts of a big tournament never get eliminated until either the semi-finals or the finals? Look back during World Cup 2002, South Korea defeated Italy, and CLEARLY, the referee was in favor of the hosts.

Same thing happens here, it's really common actually.

Death is a state of mind, I've lost my mind, therefore I cannot die.
Furious Under Serious Influence Of Narcotics
View Public Profile Find more posts by fusionev Add fusionev to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(25-Jun-2004 at 19:20)

Quote:
Watch the goalies arms. Are they blocked from going up? Yes.
uh, no they aren't actually. the keeper clearly has his hands almost on the ball, but Campbell's superior height made the goal for us. Watch Terry's eyes - they're on the ball, not the keeper as they would be if he was trying to intentionally block him

[right]Signature suspended by Starfriend for violating the forum's rules.
Damn you Naz! Damn yooooouu!
Hey, is that a mod wand?
View Public Profile Find more posts by Burningboy Add Burningboy to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(25-Jun-2004 at 20:42)

The Keepers hands are up here, Campbell is jumping, fouling only Terry, who is about as high up as the Keeper, once you think about height differences between the two players. His hands are not blocked, they are stretched. All 3 players are looking at the ball.
Ref should be sacked

Biddycam is dead! Blame the people who worked out where it was.
http://www.zoooom.co.uk/livecam.htm
Valek was here. Well, not really
View Public Profile Find more posts by Ordy Add Ordy to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(25-Jun-2004 at 20:45)

in football too, u need to use eyes and sense, not ur emotions...it was a clear foult...and i was on englands side btw...

ps. Maxkool sucks
View Public Profile Visit homppa's homepage Find more posts by homppa Add homppa to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
Research Group
Donated $0.60
(26-Jun-2004 at 00:03)

Campbell who?!?!?!

Generalization is rhetorics of simpletons.
"Sages learn from history... idiots learn from experience" -Fairy Tail manga
View Public Profile Find more posts by Lord Menchalior Add Lord Menchalior to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(26-Jun-2004 at 00:07)

The ref was totally right. There is no way that someone can claim it was legal. Come on, one guy holding the goalie at the ground and the other heading the ball isnt very legal IMHO.

A Clockwork Orange:
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3

View Public Profile Find more posts by Frederick Add Frederick to your Buddy List Reply with Quote