Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Polls Heaven

View Poll Results: Your faith?
Athiest 307 28.72%
Agnostic 108 10.10%
Catholic 180 16.84%
Lutheran 72 6.74%
Calvinist 37 3.46%
Sunni 18 1.68%
Jewish 25 2.34%
Buddhist 54 5.05%
Wicca 32 2.99%
Other 236 22.08%
Who voted? Voters: 1069
You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(14-Jun-2004 at 03:46)

im a muslim, not sure if sunni or shite, not that big of a deal with me.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Mind Flayer Add Mind Flayer to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(15-Jun-2004 at 01:00)
i belive there is a god...i belive there was a guy called jesus.....and some other men/women.

other that that i let scinece do the talking

The only thing worse than a submarine.
is a leaking submarine
View Public Profile Find more posts by xezoffire Add xezoffire to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
Research Group
Donated $0.60
(15-Jun-2004 at 23:42)

Hmmm, I am still part of Lutherian Chruch, but I hate all religions. Only faith decides anything... Religion is way to controll peoples...

Generalization is rhetorics of simpletons.
"Sages learn from history... idiots learn from experience" -Fairy Tail manga
View Public Profile Find more posts by Lord Menchalior Add Lord Menchalior to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Jun-2004 at 16:27)

I am Catholic, but i don't really follow the Bible that strictly, because most of the New Testament is questionable. Like whether Jesus Christ was married to Mary Magdalene (the Sacred Feminine), or if they even had children, and thus the Merovingians (his decendents), which all questions Christ's divinity. If you want to know more, read The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. It is a novel, but the research on documents and secret societies is all true. I still believe that Jesus Christ was a wonderful leader, but I am not sure of his divinity, seeing as how they had to vote on whether he was divine or not at the Council of Nicea, where divinity barely won. Most of the other decisions on what was to go into the New Testament were also decided on here, and any gospels (there were almost 100 considered) that talked about Jesus and his marriage to Mary Magdalene or anything that went against his divinity was excluded. It also talks about how the Christian faith was changed slighly to accomadate Pagans so that they would convert. Like Egyptian sun disks became halos of Catholic Saints, Pictograms of Isis nursing Horus became the Virgin Mary nursing Baby Jesus, communion was modeled after the Pagan ritual of 'god eating', Christ's birthday was set of December 25, the same birthday of Mithras, Osiris, Adonis, and Dionysus. Mithras was the Pagan's main god, the Son of God, Light of the World , was born Dec. 25, died, was buried in a rock tomb, and raisded in three days. The newborn Krishna was presented with gold, frankincense, and myrrh. And the Jewish holy day of Saturday, also the same for early Christians, was changed to Sunday- the Pagan day of the sun.

So basically after reasearching more on this, I am just not quite sure what I believe yet. Although I do believe in God and Christ's work and teachings.

Principal: Wait a second, is that a bong? Oh, you have asthma. Carry on.
View Public Profile Find more posts by aristott Add aristott to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Jun-2004 at 16:35)

trekkie
View Public Profile Find more posts by emmagellargreen Add emmagellargreen to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Black Fighter)
(23-Jun-2004 at 17:10)

Atheist.

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/
http://www.talkorigins.org/
View Public Profile Visit Apeiron's homepage Find more posts by Apeiron Add Apeiron to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Jun-2004 at 18:36)
freak

You all are misusing and misnaming agnostic. it literally means without knowledge. if you're agnostic, it means you don't know. not that you believe something or antoher. being agnostic leaves the possibility that there is a god and heaven, but also says, that there may not be. agnostics just don't believe that anyone really knows enough to be able to know the answer.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Leatherneck Add Leatherneck to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Jun-2004 at 18:37)

I believe there is a God, I believe there is enough evidence. And no, i am not a 'mindless sheep' i believe in free thought too.

I am glad that God alows us free thought. Can you imagine how bad it would suck if we were just some robots that did his every command, but nothing else? No creativity, nothing new, only God and his robots walking around. When we were created, God gave us free will: the ability to make choices. We could chose what we believe, who we like, what we do. However, God knows what is good for us, and what will cause things to fall apart too. So he set down some rules. Sadly the first people chose to break those rules. and as the saying goes "shit happened". Death (read: seperation from God ie eternal suffering) intered into his once perfect creation. Ever since then people have been exersizing there gift of free thought. and sadly ever since then every single one of us has chosen to do do something bad for ourselves, eachother, and have disobeyed one of the rules that God has set down to guide us. But even though we are not perfect. God still loves us. He cares about you, but he respects your free will. If you chose to ingore him, deny him, or tell him you dont need him, he is not about to come into your mind and make you into an unthinking robot. No, he will let you to continue to make your own choices, right or wrong. But God wants you to make the right choises, he wants you to chose to be with him, but we cant be with him if we are less than perfect. But we can not make ourselves perfect! We can never make ourselve into perfect beings. ON our own, we would all be destined to be seperated from God, for we have all Chosen at one time or another to do something wrong. However, He gave you a way out of this death filled, crapy place. God is going to give you a second chance, or a third, or however many you need; just so you can be with him again. He has done this through Jesus. I believe that Jesus was a perfect man, I believe that he did not ever do anything wrong (by God's perfect standards). Since he was perfect, he did not need to die the spiritual death like the rest of us, he could return to heaven. But he chose to do something else before going back to heaven. He chose to DIE for us, not just the death of his material body, the death of the soul too: he chose to take on all of the crap, all of the wrong doings of everyone at any time at any place. he took them onto himself, and away from us, so that we could enter into God's presence and not be eteranlly seperated from the only perfect being. He did this because he is God, and he loves us, even though we sometimes mess stuff up. All we need to do is to stop holding on to all of our wrong doings, and give them to God so that he can take them away, and we can be made perfect once again, even though we still continue to do bad stuff.

and there you go, that is (hopefully) the core doctrine of all Christians.

[color=white]I AM NOT SENDING SUBLIMINAL MESSAGES.

Last edited by haryfeet, 23-Jun-2004 at 18:40.
View Public Profile Find more posts by haryfeet Add haryfeet to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $2.40
(23-Jun-2004 at 18:47)

Atheist. I don't beleive in god, satan, heaven, or hell.

-Angelic Death-
x nizlopi - jcb song for xmas #1! x
x there is a light and it never goes out... x
View Public Profile Find more posts by Angelic Death Add Angelic Death to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Jun-2004 at 19:05)
Quote:
(Originally posted by Grashnak)

I did include sunni muslims, I doubt you will ever see a shia muslim on this forum..

Actually i'm a shia muslim... but ur probs nearly right in ur assumption
View Public Profile Find more posts by Mythal Theory Add Mythal Theory to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Jun-2004 at 19:45)
I don't see how people can believe in a religion, it's been proved that the Bible was all wrong.
Religion is imo just a way for people to controll other people. Don't get me wrong, it's sometimes good that the masses don't have free hands, but what I can't understand is how people still are going against the facts and believe in the bull...
View Public Profile Find more posts by teh cecil Add teh cecil to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Jun-2004 at 19:53)
your use of calvinist is pretty off, there are a lot of people who would consider a translation of the bible Literal and not consider themself a calvinist by any means, it probably should just stay protestant
View Public Profile Find more posts by antlers Add antlers to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Jun-2004 at 20:18)
To jonpowel,

as i just said i think the board is messed up to put lutheran and calvinist, while my reasons are different then others you can't list 2 minor denominations of Christianity and have that be it, but thats a side note

Raken is what most calvinist would consider an "extreme calvinist". what people call more calvinist then John Calvin himself (however thats possible). While you can't get most "christians" to say this because its misinterpretted too much, most don't believe that God can or will do anything He wants. God can't lie or be unjust for instance.

God doesn't send people to hell as you guys are saying. I don't konw where in the hell you get that idea. (sorry i had to throw that in). God set up rules that he goes by, everybody deserves to die because of that fag Adam and his stupid wife, not to mention all the times that people screw up. But God is willing to actually let some people off the hook if they believe, God doesn't damn he saves.
View Public Profile Find more posts by antlers Add antlers to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Jun-2004 at 20:20)
Quote:
it's been proved that the Bible was all wrong.
what are talking about
(23-Jun-2004 at 20:21)
Quote:
Voted other.
I believe in God and God alone. I don't believe in Hell or the devil or anything like that. I just can't believe in a God that knows all but yet does nothing to prevent sinners from going to hell If thats how God realy operates then you gotta re-think what you consider evil is. I mean to punish a mortal for eternity for something he did in such a breif period of time is pure Evil in my opinion.
People dont seem to understand that to believe in one (God, or the Devil) you have to believe in the other. One can NOT exist without each other. It's like anything. Take the force for example. There's a light side, and a dark side. There's always a good and an evil, in everything. Sorry to burst your bubble there buddy.
View Public Profile Find more posts by celedhel7 Add celedhel7 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Jun-2004 at 21:49)

sunglasses

Quote:
(Originally posted by aristott)
I am Catholic, but i don't really follow the Bible that strictly, because most of the New Testament is questionable. Like whether Jesus Christ was married to Mary Magdalene (the Sacred Feminine), or if they even had children, and thus the Merovingians (his decendents), which all questions Christ's divinity. If you want to know more, read The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. It is a novel, but the research on documents and secret societies is all true. I still believe that Jesus Christ was a wonderful leader, but I am not sure of his divinity, seeing as how they had to vote on whether he was divine or not at the Council of Nicea, where divinity barely won. Most of the other decisions on what was to go into the New Testament were also decided on here, and any gospels (there were almost 100 considered) that talked about Jesus and his marriage to Mary Magdalene or anything that went against his divinity was excluded. It also talks about how the Christian faith was changed slighly to accomadate Pagans so that they would convert. Like Egyptian sun disks became halos of Catholic Saints, Pictograms of Isis nursing Horus became the Virgin Mary nursing Baby Jesus, communion was modeled after the Pagan ritual of 'god eating', Christ's birthday was set of December 25, the same birthday of Mithras, Osiris, Adonis, and Dionysus. Mithras was the Pagan's main god, the Son of God, Light of the World , was born Dec. 25, died, was buried in a rock tomb, and raisded in three days. The newborn Krishna was presented with gold, frankincense, and myrrh. And the Jewish holy day of Saturday, also the same for early Christians, was changed to Sunday- the Pagan day of the sun.
Glad to see someone else has noticed this to.

Another thing that I would love to point out is. That christianity, was the religion with the smallest followers until The Roman Emperor Constinine, made the religion mandatory. As well as all of these old traditions (many would call Pagan, which only means non-christian, but basically the Nature Religions) Had to be incorporated, because the Religion became mandatory for citizienship in the Roman Empire.

There is also proof that the missing years of Jesus' life in the bible (12 to 30) that he went and studied in India with the Buddhist Monks. Even if you want to say the bible is completely and totally true, just remember that everything that Jesus taught us about Morality came from a religion that has no diety. (The Buddha was a man)

Zeus's birthday as also the Winter Soltice

Here's my thing, if the point of this was to see what type of christian people are on here. Why did you put up Wiccia? (People who believe in a Goddess, well Goddess and a God. The Sacred Femine and Sacred Male)

Besides that being a philosopher, I'm just shaking my head at some of these arguments going why are you trying when your leaving gaping holes that can break apart the arguments.

For thoes of you that say there is no God/dess.

From Descarte (ontological proof for the existance of God)

I doubt -> therefore I think, and I am imperfect.
I think -> therefor I exist (I think therefore I am).
If I am imperfect, then there must be something that is perfect.
If there is something that is perfect, it includes every attribute.
If it has every attribute, it has the attribute of existance.
If it has existance, then it exists.
Therefore a perfect being exists.
A perfect being is defined by Descarte (Leibnize, Spinoza, ect.) as GOD.
View Public Profile Visit Phenicia's homepage Find more posts by Phenicia Add Phenicia to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Obi2Kenobi)
Donated $1.28
(23-Jun-2004 at 22:10)

Quote:
(Originally posted by celedhel7)

People dont seem to understand that to believe in one (God, or the Devil) you have to believe in the other. One can NOT exist without each other.
No, it's quite possible. I believe that there's probably at least one god, possibly an afterlife, but I disbelieve in a Devil or Hell. God(s) is(are) neither perfect nor all powerful.

"If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and if it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
~Alexandr Solzhenitsyn
View Public Profile Visit obi2kenobi's homepage Find more posts by obi2kenobi Add obi2kenobi to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Jun-2004 at 22:10)

I'm Arminian.

(\ /)
( . .)
c('')('')
View Public Profile Find more posts by MAPS Add MAPS to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Jun-2004 at 22:46)

Clarifying a couple of terms:

The dictionary definitions of agnostic and atheist are as follows:
Atheist: Disbelieves in God's (more generally, any god's) existence. "I believe there is no god."
Agnostic: Believes that we cannot know whether there is or is not a god. "I don't/can't know whether there is a god or not."

As for myself, I fall into the latter category. I consider it impossible to prove that God exists, and equally impossible to prove that God does not exist. The important question is the one no one asks: if a god exists, should we worship Him/Her/It?

There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I donít know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president.
-- Kurt Vonnegut
View Public Profile Find more posts by Incoherent Add Incoherent to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Jun-2004 at 22:46)
Quote:
well your breathing are you not? You didn't take part in it but it is a quality in every human,to sin. And since you sin you break God's rules and God doesn't like that.
if god created man, than why did god put that quality in man if he did not like sins, why would he give us the ability to sin? Truth is in the eye of the beholder, obviously this means that everyones oppinion is truth to themselves, so in truth, isn't god the one who created sin, the ability to sin, and the sinner himself, Its like a man making a nuclear bomb and using it, Is it his fault if the nuclear bomb does horrible things even though the man hates the things that happen??, YES it is still his fault, God made man(the nuclear bomb), man does horrible things(sin), god hates sin(what man does), And god created man(the nuclear bomb), its all a vicious cycle started by the THEORY(you cant technically prove its true so its just a theory) that god created everything and that god is here to save us.

i Myself am a buddhist because i do believe that everyone lives more than one life.
View Public Profile Find more posts by nady Add nady to your Buddy List Reply with Quote