Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Respectable General Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(17-Jul-2004 at 21:25)

Former Chessmaster Finally Arrested

http://asia.news.yahoo.com/040717/ap/d83se9g00.html

Bobby Fisher is a genius, but a completely weirdo.
View Public Profile Find more posts by UndeadSmoker Add UndeadSmoker to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(18-Jul-2004 at 00:29)
Not to mention his anti-semitic comments.
View Public Profile Find more posts by unknownhombre Add unknownhombre to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $9.31
(18-Jul-2004 at 00:44)

Quote:
He praised the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, saying America should be "wiped out," and described Jews as "thieving, lying bastards." His mother was Jewish.
O.... K...? Yes, quite the wierdo, I can't say I'm opposed to him being arrested

Quote:
Fischer, now 61, became grandmaster at age 15
Meh, that's nothing. In Norway, we've got this kid that became Grandmaster when he was 13

My MSN is still [email protected].
My Skype is kapteindynetrekk
View Public Profile Find more posts by Nimon Add Nimon to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $8.00
(18-Jul-2004 at 01:31)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Nimon)
Meh, that's nothing. In Norway, we've got this kid that became Grandmaster when he was 13
make that "is 13"

Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
~ Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill ~
View Public Profile Find more posts by Skotten Add Skotten to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(18-Jul-2004 at 03:15)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Nimon)

O.... K...? Yes, quite the wierdo, I can't say I'm opposed to him being arrested

Well be that as it may, Bobby Fisher is still the greatest (many believe) chess player to ever live, plus he came to fame because of the cold war matches against the russian top players. here's a list of the youngest children to become Grand Masters.

Bobby Fischer 15 years, 6 months, 1 day
Judit Polgar 15 years, 4 months, 28 days
Peter Leko 14 years, 4 months, 22 days
Etienne Bacrot 14 years, 2 months, 0 days
Ruslan Ponomaryov 14 years, 0 months, 17 days
Teimour Radjabov 14 years, 0 months, 14 days
Bu Xiangzhi 13 years, 10 months, 13 days
Sergey Karjakin 12 years, 7 months, 0 days

Support great music, pick up a Masia One CD today
View Public Profile Find more posts by Pavol Add Pavol to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $9.31
(18-Jul-2004 at 03:28)

Quote:
(Originally posted by Pavol)

Ruslan Ponomaryov 14 years, 0 months, 17 days
That's not updated. This kid atleast was 13 when he made it. I think they said there was one kid who had gotten it younger than him.

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=1614

Here's your updated list

Koneru Humpy 15 years, 4 months, 28 days
Ruslan Ponomariov 14 years, 0 months, 17 days
Magnus Carlsen 13 years, 3 months, 27 days<-- That's our guy! (Well.. kid)

My MSN is still [email protected].
My Skype is kapteindynetrekk

Last edited by Nimon, 18-Jul-2004 at 03:34.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Nimon Add Nimon to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(18-Jul-2004 at 03:29)

freak

Who cares whos the youngest?

I do think itīs good they arrested the dude so he canīt draw bad publicity to a gentlemans sport...
View Public Profile Find more posts by hotyd Add hotyd to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(18-Jul-2004 at 05:40)

i find it so facinating that these kids can think a that sort of level at such a young age. Maybe it's because they still have such a vivid imagination which allows them to seem possible positions and counters that are only mastered otherwise with an extreme amount of experience and brilliance. It kinda relates to the Brainpower of kids discussion. http://forums.utopiatemple.com/showt...ght=brainpower

Support great music, pick up a Masia One CD today
View Public Profile Find more posts by Pavol Add Pavol to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as DoorKnob)
(User is Banned)
(18-Jul-2004 at 05:42)

i guess i shouldn't play chess anymore if it's going to get me arrested!

Dismal dreams are my reality
View Public Profile Find more posts by dismal Add dismal to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(18-Jul-2004 at 07:21)

I've been thinking about child geniouses and prodigies and such, and wondering "Where does it get them?" I mean, it's awesome that all those chess guys are so great at such a young age, but does that make them any more awesome when they are 55? I don't think so. And look at sports. Athletes can dominate even professionally when they are young, but when they are 28 and everyone else is 28, does it really matter how awesome they were when they were 10 years younger? Not really....

Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Hindsight is always 20/20
View Public Profile Find more posts by ILikeUltimate Add ILikeUltimate to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(18-Jul-2004 at 19:51)

im a good chessplayer..for average standards.. but these guys are just awesome.. i dont think my 16 year old brain would even stand a chance against those 12 year olds.. especially those speedchess players.. ughh!

i still like the way those "old guys" are playing.. Garry Kasparov is one of my favorite

anyone know of any sites that tests your chess rating? i heard the ELO was the best but its too professional for me.. lol.. i want a free online one.. it wouldnt matter if its a little bit off..

~Forums rule suspended by violating users singatune.~
No offense, but what's a singatune ? /Æ
it used to be singature and you changed it!!
and singature used to be singature! Stop messing with it! im telling mommy!

Last edited by JeToHnG, 18-Jul-2004 at 19:56.
View Public Profile Find more posts by JeToHnG Add JeToHnG to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(18-Jul-2004 at 20:10)

Quote:
I've been thinking about child geniouses and prodigies and such, and wondering "Where does it get them?" I mean, it's awesome that all those chess guys are so great at such a young age, but does that make them any more awesome when they are 55? I don't think so. And look at sports. Athletes can dominate even professionally when they are young, but when they are 28 and everyone else is 28, does it really matter how awesome they were when they were 10 years younger? Not really....
No but they can win enough money while they are young to last them for a lifetime.
View Public Profile Find more posts by DHoffryn Add DHoffryn to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(18-Jul-2004 at 22:38)

Quote:
(Originally posted by ILikeUltimate)

It matters because at the age of 12 your brain is not nearly as developed as that of a full grown adult. You also don't have the fine tuning and experience they do either. Therefore it is considered amazing when a child can play at the level of an adult genius when he has had much less training, experience and brain development. If you've ever spoken to an average 12 year old then you too would be amazed if one of that age could soundly whop one of the best adult players at chess.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."
-Soren Kierkegaard
"Those who know don't say, and those who say don't know."
- Lao Tzu
More Quotes...
View Public Profile Find more posts by Syke Add Syke to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(20-Jul-2004 at 00:08)
I think kids have the "unfair" advantage of having less worries before, after and during the game..

for example, before the game, you owe someone money. most kids don't think about those things, yet.

after the game, there is no criticism for the child who loses, but if the older one loses then he'll get ridiculed.. :P

a child's main focus during the game is the game itself, while older ones think more stuff not really connected to the game itself.
View Public Profile Find more posts by ashas cradle Add ashas cradle to your Buddy List Reply with Quote