Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Media Mania > Movie Reviews and Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average
(Posted as Starfriend)
Global Moderator
Donated $27.58
(23-Jun-2006 at 23:04)

[2005] Walk the Line

Genre: Biography, Drama, Music, Romance

Director: James Mangold

Plot: A chronicle of country music legend Johnny Cash's life, from his early days on an Arkansas cotton farm to his rise to fame with Sun Records in Memphis, where he recorded alongside Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis and Carl Perkins.

Actors:
Joaquin Phoenix .... Johnny Cash
Reese Witherspoon .... June Carter
Ginnifer Goodwin .... Vivian Cash
Robert Patrick .... Ray Cash
Dallas Roberts .... Sam Phillips
Dan John Miller .... Luther Perkins
Larry Bagby .... Marshall Grant
Shelby Lynne .... Carrie Cash
Tyler Hilton .... Elvis Presley
Waylon Payne .... Jerry Lee Lewis (as Waylon Malloy Payne)
Shooter Jennings .... Waylon Jennings
Sandra Ellis Lafferty .... Maybelle Carter
Dan Beene .... Ezra Carter
Clay Steakley .... W.S. 'Fluke' Holland
Johnathan Rice .... Roy Orbison

IMDB link:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0358273/
View Public Profile Find more posts by Konc Add Konc to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(24-Jun-2006 at 00:17)
I really liked this movie, I knew nothing about Johnny Cash and I never really knew his songs. I enjoyed Joaquin Phoenix's performance, it was excellent. The movie is really about the relationship between Johnny and June, and the music was excellent. I would give this movie a 9/10.
View Public Profile Find more posts by TiCkLe Add TiCkLe to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Para Bl0k)
Donated $2.04
(26-Jun-2006 at 14:34)
I didn't know much about Johny Cash either when I saw this, tho I knew some of his music.. but never really liked it. This movie didn't make me like his music more, but I did very much enjoy this movie. His life makes a very interesting story, and the acting was great. 8/10

Last edited by Para Bl0k, 26-Jun-2006 at 14:35.
View Public Profile Visit P a r a's homepage Find more posts by P a r a Add P a r a to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $11.20
(30-Oct-2006 at 15:56)

Finally watched this movie and really enjoyed it. Joaquin Phoenix and especially Reese Witherspoon were phenomenal. Who knew they could sing!

I believe she won the Oscar for that performance, and she deserved it. Until seeing this movie I just thought she was hot. Now I know she obviously has talent to go along with the looks.

This movie reconnected my brain to some long ago memories I had completely forgotten about. Late 70's / early 80's pre-cable days at my grandmother's house actually watching The Johnny Cash Show ... likely re-runs. I'm surprised there's not a cable channel that shows all those old variety shows (like TV Land). The Carol Burnett show and stuff like that...

Man is the only animal that blushes, or needs to.-- Mark Twain
View Public Profile Visit Michael1's homepage Find more posts by Michael1 Add Michael1 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(User is Banned)
(30-Oct-2006 at 21:23)

This is a very, very good movie, with outstanding performances from both Phoenix and Witherspoon. Perhaps especially Phoenix, who is so in character that it's almost scary. Knowing that his older brother died from drug abuse, seeing Phoenix do the 'drug scenes' with such vigour almost brings a tear to my eye.

I could go on for quite some time, but I'll go straight for the rating. A 9.5/10, but that's only because I never give 10/10 to any movie. so this is as good as it gets

I am 'great', and yet... I stumble.
...Naz thinks he's great, but should have self critique/irony to see that he stumbles... Stubb apparently hasn't seen the show Shark.
...Yet Stubb would provide a link to where a quote is taken from... How's -that- for an URL. ;] ... How about -this- as the #1 result? ;p Explanation: PEBKAC HELP! I'm being repressed!. . . I love beer and WP.
View Public Profile Find more posts by 0Stubb0 Add 0Stubb0 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(15-Nov-2006 at 22:06)

Both me (a novice Cash fan) and me wife (who's not really into the music but doesn't dislike it) loved it. Great great movie

9/10
View Public Profile Find more posts by Largoi Add Largoi to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Uzgadra)
(15-Nov-2006 at 22:24)

Same here both my wife and I enjoyed it so much we actually brought the DVD am trying to persaude her to a pick up truck and a dog named blue

. R.I.P. Millie you took our hearts with you
. 26th Feb 2002- 4th June 2007
View Public Profile Find more posts by BouffantBob Add BouffantBob to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $1.60
(17-Nov-2006 at 08:09)
This film was viewed with great expectations (based upon previous professional reviews) but it failed to meet them. Phoenix's performance doesn't equate to Jamie Foxx's performance in Ray, but it is great nonetheless. The actors themselves give great performances (especially Reece Witherspoon). However, the script is so-so at best. I found the story formulaic and trite. Overall, it is an okay movie. 3/5
View Public Profile Find more posts by DisViHalo Add DisViHalo to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(07-Dec-2006 at 07:43)
amazing movie, love the cash man
View Public Profile Find more posts by thegothman Add thegothman to your Buddy List Reply with Quote