Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > Utopia Temple > Complaints

Post New Thread Closed Thread
Author Thread
(Posted as azar90)
(13-Jan-2008 at 09:59)
Re: People being warned for combining two words

Originally Posted by Alexstrasza: View Post
That warning was given out before the "Non-English" rule was relaxed, if I recall correctly.
hmm...I thought the rule was relaxed prior - in Ash's original post he mentions the ability to get away with short blurts of nonenglishness provided it's accompanied by a translation. Unless there's been a further relaxation since which I haven't paid attention to? I freely admit my memory does play tricks on me in my old age

But that wasn't really my point. I was trying to say that I think many of the problems users have with the non-English rule have been because it has often seemingly been applied at a mod's whim, rather than with any air of consistency or common sense.

As Amy says, mods should really think about what benefit they're trying to achieve before they go throwing WPs out.

Last edited by azar90, 13-Jan-2008 at 10:00.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Az 90 Add Az 90 to your Buddy List
(Posted as matinog)
(13-Jan-2008 at 16:31)

i think wp should only be handed-out when it impedes in any way with the understanding of a statement. If the statement is wildly known and is in fact in another language i think handing wps out for it is forgetting the purpouse of wps, making discussions civil productive and fluent.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Mandraque Add Mandraque to your Buddy List
(13-Jan-2008 at 16:41)

why is it that when a group of users get warned for what is a rule violtion they cry for more lax rules... sorry but been there and seen that before.

Ever stop to think that maybe the changing rules is causing the problems in the first place?

Never Forget

September 11, 2001
View Public Profile Find more posts by Invictus2001 Add Invictus2001 to your Buddy List
Donated $9.31
(13-Jan-2008 at 17:13)

Re: People being warned for combining two words

Originally Posted by Invictus2001: View Post
why is it that when a group of users get warned for what is a rule violtion they cry for more lax rules... sorry but been there and seen that before.

Ever stop to think that maybe the changing rules is causing the problems in the first place?
More lax rules? Did you even read the thread, or did you decide to skip that part and jump straight to uttering your misinformed opinions?

I wasn't complaining to change the rules; I was complaining because I didn't think it broke the rules in the first place. And clearly we were right, with the warnings taken back.

What were you saying?
View Public Profile Find more posts by Nimon Add Nimon to your Buddy List
(Posted as AMYQ)
(Post has been warned)
(14-Jan-2008 at 05:11)

Originally Posted by matinog: View Post
i think wp should only be handed-out when it impedes in any way with the understanding of a statement. If the statement is wildly known and is in fact in another language i think handing wps out for it is forgetting the purpouse of wps, making discussions civil productive and fluent.
Except that someone who speaks... (God I don't know) Egyptian or Mandarin primarily, English secondarily my not understand the meaning of the word (frenemy) or a simple quote like (please don't warn me) "Viva la AMYQ."

I think in the case that started this debate we, the users, were right to kick up a stink, because the meaning was easily derived from context, and thats whats important. If, off-topically I threw a random spanish sentence in here, it's reasonable to be warned, even if its an obvious translation to me, we have to accommodate for 150,000 varying degrees of english, maybe we should make a list of commonly used words we can link to, what is and isn't acceptable.

Originally Posted by Nimon: View Post
What were you saying?
Are you ever not a smug jackass?

INSANE CUBE FISH™
This is the clock up on the wall/This is the story of us all/This is the first sound of a new born child before he starts to crawl
This is the war that's never won/This is the soldier and his gun/This is the mother waiting by the phone praying for her son
View Public Profile Find more posts by Miss AmyQ Add Miss AmyQ to your Buddy List
Global Moderator
Research Group
Donated $25.30
(14-Jan-2008 at 06:52)

exclamation mark

Im thinking this thread is no longer needed since the issue has been dealt with.

[closed]

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"
R.I.P. InJustice!
Hit me up on Facebook

EWE-tah
View Public Profile Find more posts by Saint Sinner Add Saint Sinner to your Buddy List
Closed Thread