Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > Utopia Temple > Complaints

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Closed Thread
Author Thread
Research Group
Posts: 292/670
Donated $112.99
(08-Jul-2007 at 05:16)


mad Signaturing Attacking Other Users

Well the first thing that popped into my head when I wrote that title was literally but anyways...

Not directed towards staff (mostly - isn't it like flaming or something?) but moreso towards Nimon and Sprecre19: What the hell is with your signatures?

Grow up and take your insults out of your signatures. It looks really immature, and it's annoying to see. One of you guys had keeping the debate where it is in your signature, well follow that advice don't let your arguement spill out into all the other places (by having that crap in your signature).

Last edited by advocatus, 08-Jul-2007 at 05:18.
Edit reason: Damnit... it should be "signature" not "signaturing" - that's what you get for making threads at 12.47 am
#1  
View Public Profile Find more posts by advocatus Add advocatus to your Buddy List
Global Moderator
Posts: 3562/3863
(08-Jul-2007 at 09:20)


Personally, I dont see anything wrong with Nimons signatures and iirc he has always used quotes from our more right wing friends on these boards. I normally have a little chuckle at most of them when I first see them.

However, I quite agree that to argue with one another in signatures is just pointless.

People, like snowflakes, are all slightly different, but we all follow the same patterns -Stewie
Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

Some people are like Slinkies- absolutely useless, but always fun to push down stairs!
#2  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Azure Dragon Add Azure Dragon to your Buddy List
Research Group
Posts: 1114/1167
Donated $3.24
(08-Jul-2007 at 11:03)


I wouldn't take it too personally, plus really they are only quoting a small part of what someone said - and personally when I see just an orphaned statement without much context I'm not really going to take it too seriously (esp. since they only pick out the most ridiculous statements in a person's post). If people want to take the time to wage some kind of war about a person's character rather than their arguments, seems to indicate that they lack a valid response or hold some kind of grudge against a person - neither exactly positive indications of the person who is doing this in their Sig.

But you know hey, I sure wouldn't mind being the subject of ridicule someone's siggy - It lets me know I'm getting under your skin

caution: this post may appear more intelligent and insightful than it actually is
all posts made by the above person should be considered a direct insult to your intelligence
if you don't like what we tell you to believe in, we'll kill you - President George Bush

Last edited by Duo Maxwell, 08-Jul-2007 at 11:06.
#3  
View Public Profile Visit Duo Maxwell's homepage Find more posts by Duo Maxwell Add Duo Maxwell to your Buddy List
Posts: 2105/2150
Donated $5.00
(08-Jul-2007 at 12:57)


If people don't want things quoted in signatures, don't make it profitable for them to do it. Simple. In other words, don't support Bush

Where has my avatar gone?

The true meaning of silence
#4  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Gus Mackay Add Gus Mackay to your Buddy List
Research Group
Posts: 293/670
Donated $112.99
(09-Jul-2007 at 06:19)


It's petty and immature. Is it comparable to flaming?
#5  
View Public Profile Find more posts by advocatus Add advocatus to your Buddy List
Posts: 323/1971
(09-Jul-2007 at 06:21)


Quote:
Personally, I dont see anything wrong with Nimons signatures and iirc he has always used quotes from our more right wing friends on these boards.
oh, he only quotes right-winged members, so its ok then... because OUR ideology doesnt count!

my signature is just to illustrate that im irritated by people taking someone's quote out of context then flaunting it all over the boards trying to stir up hatred or some shit... its just petty

Tax collectors are a valid military target - chobham
#6  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Spectre19 Add Spectre19 to your Buddy List
(Former Global Moderator)
Research Group
Posts: 5322/5374
(09-Jul-2007 at 07:39)


It's childish and petty, yes, but if they want to do it that's their choice.

IIRC, my favorite siggy was a quote of Bernel's that was pretty rediculous.






Well...to be honest, it wasn't really his, it was more one someone made up for him under his name...but still. It was funny. PM for linkage.

The Kiowa swooped and banked hard in front of the car, firing three more shots through the front hood, the universal sign for “stop.”
There are two important rules for sucess in life.
1. Never tell anyone everything you know.
#7  
View Public Profile Visit Hawkeyekid's homepage Find more posts by Hawkeyekid Add Hawkeyekid to your Buddy List
Global Moderator
Posts: 3563/3863
(09-Jul-2007 at 19:34)


Re: Signaturing Attacking Other Users

Originally Posted by Spectre19: View Post
oh, he only quotes right-winged members, so its ok then... because OUR ideology doesnt count!
You have a habit of putting words into proverbial mouth's; just as Nimon has never (to my knowledge) ever called RA3 a facist pig, I've never said yours or anyones else's ideology doesn't count.

Although I do think it's quite intresting how you've interpreted what Nimon was trying to achieve by using that particular quote of RA3.

Quote:
my signature is just to illustrate that im irritated by people taking someone's quote out of context then flaunting it all over the boards trying to stir up hatred or some shit... its just petty
I think it's just highlighting particular points people have made. I myself am (or was) quoted in someones signature. I was quite honoured, I have to say. If you or RA3 are ashamed of this particular quote, then I would suggest a deep look at the ideology from which it arose would be order.

People, like snowflakes, are all slightly different, but we all follow the same patterns -Stewie
Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

Some people are like Slinkies- absolutely useless, but always fun to push down stairs!
#8  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Azure Dragon Add Azure Dragon to your Buddy List
Posts: 501/680
(09-Jul-2007 at 21:22)


Re: Signaturing Attacking Other Users

Originally Posted by Azure Dragon: View Post
You have a habit of putting words into proverbial mouth's; just as Nimon has never (to my knowledge) ever called RA3 a facist pig, I've never said yours or anyones else's ideology doesn't count.

Although I do think it's quite intresting how you've interpreted what Nimon was trying to achieve by using that particular quote of RA3.



I think it's just highlighting particular points people have made. I myself am (or was) quoted in someones signature. I was quite honoured, I have to say. If you or RA3 are ashamed of this particular quote, then I would suggest a deep look at the ideology from which it arose would be order.
They do it to make certain people look stupid. If they're going to quote someone selectively, they might as well quote the entire thread so everyone can see in what context the quote what said.
#9  
View Public Profile Find more posts by aC23 Add aC23 to your Buddy List
Posts: 2716/3861
(09-Jul-2007 at 22:18)


Lot of people have stupid Sigs. Nimon saying a user needs to be hit with a clue bat is a tad over the line IMO but using quotes as siggys is ok if the quote is truthful even if they are bit dumb.

Never Forget

September 11, 2001
#10  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Invictus2001 Add Invictus2001 to your Buddy List
Posts: 327/1971
(10-Jul-2007 at 05:14)


Quote:
You have a habit of putting words into proverbial mouth's; just as Nimon has never (to my knowledge) ever called RA3 a facist pig, I've never said yours or anyones else's ideology doesn't count.

Although I do think it's quite intresting how you've interpreted what Nimon was trying to achieve by using that particular quote of RA3.
oh, so you didnt mean that?? then what was the point in even mentioning the fact that Nimon only ridicules people with right wing ideologies, and appearing to be using that to defend him

and it is clear what Nimon is trying to insinuate with his sig, it doesnt need to be explicitly stated to see that

Quote:
I think it's just highlighting particular points people have made. I myself am (or was) quoted in someones signature. I was quite honoured, I have to say. If you or RA3 are ashamed of this particular quote, then I would suggest a deep look at the ideology from which it arose would be order.
the quote on its own looks shameful because it has been taken out of context...

even if it wasnt shameful, it would still be childish and petty of Nimon to quote it and obviously insinuate that RA3 is evil

Quote:
They do it to make certain people look stupid. If they're going to quote someone selectively, they might as well quote the entire thread so everyone can see in what context the quote what said.
QFT

Tax collectors are a valid military target - chobham
#11  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Spectre19 Add Spectre19 to your Buddy List
Posts: 2718/3861
(10-Jul-2007 at 05:33)


Re: Signaturing Attacking Other Users

Originally Posted by Spectre19: View Post
the quote on its own looks shameful because it has been taken out of context...
You do have a point there. Quotes dont mean jack shit without the context it was used in.

Quote:
even if it wasnt shameful, it would still be childish and petty of Nimon to quote it and obviously insinuate that RA3 is evil
What else do you expect.

Never Forget

September 11, 2001
#12  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Invictus2001 Add Invictus2001 to your Buddy List
Posts: 1287/1441
(10-Jul-2007 at 05:49)


Re: Signaturing Attacking Other Users

Originally Posted by Spectre19: View Post
oh, so you didnt mean that?? then what was the point in even mentioning the fact that Nimon only ridicules people with right wing ideologies, and appearing to be using that to defend him
He never said that Nimon only criticizes the right-wing, he said he brings up their quotes for humour's sake. If you don't like it, tell your fellow idealogues to stop saying stupid shit.

Originally Posted by Spectre19: View Post
the quote on its own looks shameful because it has been taken out of context...

even if it wasnt shameful, it would still be childish and petty of Nimon to quote it and obviously insinuate that RA3 is evil
lol evil? if you feel it insinuates that, you may understand why Nimon thought it was a crazy thing to say and thus quote it. I doubt RA3 feels evil for posting it.

This too will pass
#13  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Samurai Pooh Add Samurai Pooh to your Buddy List
Posts: 328/1971
(10-Jul-2007 at 06:40)


Quote:
He never said that Nimon only criticizes the right-wing
yes he did

Quote:
he said he brings up their quotes for humour's sake
ie. ridiculing them... childish, no??

Quote:
If you don't like it, tell your fellow idealogues to stop saying stupid shit.
he didnt say anything stupid, it was made to look stupid by taking out of context

Quote:
lol evil? if you feel it insinuates that, you may understand why Nimon thought it was a crazy thing to say and thus quote it. I doubt RA3 feels evil for posting it.
it insinuates evil because it was TAKEN OUT OF CONTEXT... is this a difficult concept to comprehend, Samurai Pooh??

Tax collectors are a valid military target - chobham
#14  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Spectre19 Add Spectre19 to your Buddy List
(Posted as Starfriend)
Global Moderator
Posts: 4245/4591
Donated $27.58
(10-Jul-2007 at 07:06)


As long as he uses real quotes and doesn't make shit up, I fail to see anything wrong with it.


"If You Fall, I’ll Be There"
-– Floor

#15  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Konc Add Konc to your Buddy List
Posts: 4122/4773
Donated $9.31
(10-Jul-2007 at 08:21)


I just noticed this thread, and hey, what's with equating me with Spectre? I have no idea why he chose to start making strange comments about me, I'm certainly not having any kind of 'argument' with my signatures. As AD says, from time to time, when I come over a suitable quote, I like to throw it in my signature. I don't see why Spectre feels he needs to be RA3's guard dog.

Spectre, I'm not sure exactly which one of the sig's you're referring to, but I don't change anything. I think the specific one was RA3 saying throwing hand grenades into crowds of civilians to get "terrorists" was fine. He really did say that you know, check it up

My MSN is still [email protected].
My Skype is kapteindynetrekk

Last edited by Nimon, 10-Jul-2007 at 08:23.
#16  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Nimon Add Nimon to your Buddy List
(Posted as Dr U)
Posts: 92/389
(10-Jul-2007 at 13:03)


I'm sorry but, I can remember Spectre19 doing the exact same thing with Voice of Reason not too long ago, quoting things he said from some discussion they were having in some thread. And now you're complaining about Nimon doing the same thing as you did Spectre? That's a bit hypocrite isn't it?

Last edited by Dr U, 10-Jul-2007 at 13:03.
#17  
View Public Profile Find more posts by activ8 Add activ8 to your Buddy List
Posts: 331/1971
(10-Jul-2007 at 13:11)


not really coz VoR did it first

and if you say thats childish... thats like saying its childish to punch someone in the face if he punches you first... eye for an eye

Tax collectors are a valid military target - chobham
#18  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Spectre19 Add Spectre19 to your Buddy List
(Posted as Dr U)
Posts: 93/389
(10-Jul-2007 at 13:14)


Great comparison
Childish indeed.
#19  
View Public Profile Find more posts by activ8 Add activ8 to your Buddy List
Posts: 1280/2297
(10-Jul-2007 at 13:39)


'He did it first!'

Now that's a quote that I might actually use for a signature.

Seriously though, I agree with the most above. It's childish, but I really don't see a point in banning it or whatever.

Modern world I'm not pleased to meet you

You just bring me down
#20  
View Public Profile Find more posts by Caelis666 Add Caelis666 to your Buddy List
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump:

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Signature height 0Stubb0 General Site Discussions 12 26-Sep-2006 17:44
Korean Internet Users Launch Hacking Attacks on ........... Crew Respectable General Discussions 18 26-Jun-2004 16:37
Where is MY signature? Ozen Complaints 21 31-Oct-2003 16:22


All times are GMT+1. The time now is 05:41.

Powered by vBulletin (modified)
Copyright ©2000-2006, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.