Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Polls Heaven

View Poll Results: Do you think there will be a 51st state
Yes 11 34.38%
No 21 65.63%
Who voted? Voters: 32
You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(Posted as Celtic20)
(25-Feb-2009 at 21:41)

51st State

So as it stands the US sits at 50 states since 1959.

I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on when the next state, the 51st state would join and possibly when.

Oh in answering the poll, I mean do you think it will happen relatively soon, like within the next decade or two.

Last edited by Celtic20, 25-Feb-2009 at 21:42.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Celtic22 Add Celtic22 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(25-Feb-2009 at 21:59)

Puerto Rico is the only true candidate in the foreseeable future, but they've been voting down that prospect for many years and I do not imagine that'll change. They have a pretty good deal as it is, with most of the benefits of US statehood while maintaining a great deal of autonomy not enjoyed by full-fledged members of the union. I think it's more reasonable to predict our other dependencies being granted independence well before becoming states. Economically, the US controls a significant portion of Canada, so there is no incentive to incorporate them officially. Mexican border territories won't be annexed any time soon. It's possible a state might get cleaved in half- say Texas or California, but highly unlikely. So my answer- no, no there won't be.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."
-Soren Kierkegaard
"Those who know don't say, and those who say don't know."
- Lao Tzu
More Quotes...
View Public Profile Find more posts by Syke Add Syke to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(25-Feb-2009 at 23:12)

Not relatively soon, no.

Puerto Rico is not a candidate as long as it speaks Spanish. And short of a state splitting in two, I see no other candidates.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin
View Public Profile Find more posts by KnightoftheNite Add KnightoftheNite to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(25-Feb-2009 at 23:16)

This question seems a little random.

Have there been any indications for such a major, historic even, occurence?

I certainely haven't heard/read or seen any, so I really doubt there is a chance of it happening anytime soonish. I don't see any candidates for it, either.

---
--

(Hey Hopey!)
View Public Profile Find more posts by Lunor Add Lunor to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Celtic20)
(25-Feb-2009 at 23:21)

Re: 51st State

Originally Posted by Lunor: View Post
This question seems a little random.

Have there been any indications for such a major, historic even, occurence?

I certainely haven't heard/read or seen any, so I really doubt there is a chance of it happening anytime soonish. I don't see any candidates for it, either.
Yes it is random but you cant exactly say there has been a lot to talk about around these forums besides all the doom and gloom in the world

So just to stir up some disucssion i decided to make a random topic
View Public Profile Find more posts by Celtic22 Add Celtic22 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(25-Feb-2009 at 23:25)

Originally Posted by Celtic20: View Post
Yes it is random but you cant exactly say there has been a lot to talk about around these forums besides all the doom and gloom in the world

So just to stir up some disucssion i decided to make a random topic

Not as random as you think...

Puerto Rico has voted down statehood several times.. There is some talk im hearing this week that DC wants to be a state but Im not sure Maryland will let them go.

Never Forget

September 11, 2001
View Public Profile Find more posts by Invictus2001 Add Invictus2001 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(26-Feb-2009 at 04:19)

That little bit at the top of Minnesota wants to cede to canada. Just interesting information.

I highly doubt America will ever give up its image as the 50 states. It's ingrained in all the political crap, and how would they even begin creating a new flag. Do you have any idea how many of them are floating about? It would be neigh on impossible (love that phrase) to replace them all if we suddenly had the increase. Not to mention all the textbooks that will have to be rewritten teaching that there are now more states.

I am the darkness in your life, I am the light
I am the end of your tunnel, I am the beginning of your future
I am the end, your end. I am the path to your salvation.

Your bane, or your hope. You decide.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Brightbane Add Brightbane to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(26-Feb-2009 at 04:46)

He just think of all the jobs that would create... in China

Never Forget

September 11, 2001
View Public Profile Find more posts by Invictus2001 Add Invictus2001 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Randomized)
(26-Feb-2009 at 11:05)

Soon enough the UK will join as 51th state.
View Public Profile Visit Black Oranje's homepage Find more posts by Black Oranje Add Black Oranje to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as DeRnhelm)
Donated $11.54
(01-Mar-2009 at 14:33)

Originally Posted by Randomized: View Post
Soon enough the UK will join as 51th state.
Haha good one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nupdcGwIG-g

~–eRn~
BTW: You Are All Buffle Headed
View Public Profile Find more posts by DeRn HaLL Add DeRn HaLL to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(27-Feb-2009 at 23:45)

American Samoa
District of Columbia
Federated States of Micronesia
Guam
North Marianas
Puerto Rico
Virgin Islands

I doubt any of them will become the 51st state.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Acadian9 Add Acadian9 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(28-Feb-2009 at 04:58)

Puerto Rico is the closet to becoming a state, and if they actually become a state I would assume it to be in the distant future....like 20+ years

"Hmph, you and your third dimension."
"What about it?" "Oh nothing, itís cute. We have five."
"Th-thousand."
"Yes five thousand."
"Donít question it."
View Public Profile Find more posts by Chillin Add Chillin to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Eldarad)
Donated $9.01
(01-Mar-2009 at 13:50)

Originally Posted by Brightbane:
I highly doubt America will ever give up its image as the 50 states. It's ingrained in all the political crap, and how would they even begin creating a new flag.
That's the easy bit, they'd just add a star

50 years isn't a long time in the life of a nation, and I can't imagine that people are so attached to the idea of 50 states that they would reject the idea of 51...

DC is the obvious candidate for the next state, but I suspect all that will happen is that they will get full representation in Congress without being given statehood.
The current dependencies are never going to be states - if they wanted to be they already would be.

No, I think the 51st state of USA will be Cuba.

You only have power over people as long as you don't take everything from them.
But when you've robbed a man of everything, he's no longer in your power - he is free again.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Adderla Add Adderla to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $2.08
(01-Mar-2009 at 19:58)

It's not gonna happen. It should, as DC deserves representation, but it won't because people in the US - and indeed all over the world - have a strong preference for round numbers.

"Why should I have to work for everything?! It's like saying I don't deserve it!" - Calvin.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Stewie Add Stewie to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(01-Mar-2009 at 22:12)

Originally Posted by Stewie: View Post
It's not gonna happen. It should, as DC deserves representation, but it won't because people in the US - and indeed all over the world - have a strong preference for round numbers.
DC should be able to vote for Marylands reps which they cannot do now. DC is only a city. Statehood... no.

Never Forget

September 11, 2001
(02-Mar-2009 at 02:05)
Dont worry , I'm sure when our economy hits the bottom of the shitter that Canada will swoop in and buy us.

Only the ignorant have the capacity to be offended.
View Public Profile Find more posts by IctouCE Add IctouCE to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(11-Mar-2009 at 02:35)

Originally Posted by IctouCE: View Post
Dont worry , I'm sure when our economy hits the bottom of the shitter that Canada will swoop in and buy us.
Well we've got 1/2 of Arizona and a good bit of Florida already, slow and steady wins the race!
View Public Profile Find more posts by EvilDH Add EvilDH to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $11.20
(11-Mar-2009 at 19:17)

Originally Posted by EvilDH: View Post
Well we've got 1/2 of Arizona and a good bit of Florida already, slow and steady wins the race!
You only have those for 6 months of a year

I think Canada already is the 51st state .

Man is the only animal that blushes, or needs to.-- Mark Twain
View Public Profile Visit Michael1's homepage Find more posts by Michael1 Add Michael1 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(11-Mar-2009 at 19:58)

Originally Posted by Michael1: View Post
You only have those for 6 months of a year

I think Canada already is the 51st state .
Tch, we're bigger and the world hates us less.
Let's agree that the U.S. can be our fourth (through fifty fourth) territory.

Now start spelling honour, colour, cheque, centre, etc... properly!
And it's called Zed!!!

If all else fails, call someone a troll.
that can be fixed... / ∆

Last edited by Greeney, 11-Mar-2009 at 20:00.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Greeney Add Greeney to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Randomized)
(12-Mar-2009 at 13:20)

Originally Posted by Greeney: View Post
Tch, we're bigger and the world hates us less.
Let's agree that the U.S. can be our fourth (through fifty fourth) territory.

Now start spelling honour, colour, cheque, centre, etc... properly!
And it's called Zed!!!
You don't want the US to join Canada. Imagine all those red states leaving their mark in your parliament! You'll lose controll over your own country because those 300 million americans have the biggest vote in things!
View Public Profile Visit Black Oranje's homepage Find more posts by Black Oranje Add Black Oranje to your Buddy List Reply with Quote