Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Respectable General Discussions > Religious Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(11-Dec-2006 at 02:53)

Philosophy in Life

Alright, here goes.

First, I would like to say Hello! to all those who missed me over the years I've been absent. I left, and never even mentioned to tell anyone! But it's all good. To those that remember me, and that I remember, glad to see you're still sparking up the debates (no matter how hard it hurts to see some of the arguments in here.. sheesh). Some may be wondering why exactly I'm posting, well, to put it bluntly.. I'm wondering from everyone, what their philosophy is on life itself, and more importantly.. what those of differing faiths believe is an appropriate representation of human beings in regards to all situations in life, whether or not that person is of the same faith. In other words, I want to hear from you all what you want to see out of yourself and others regardless of what they believe.

To start, myself? My ultimate calling is Acceptance. I accept that which I encounter, regardless of whether or not I agree. I can accept that someone smokes, though their health is in danger and they're merely contributing to the leech of society that tobacco companies really are, though I disagree with the behavior itself. In that sense, they are still fully human beings. They aren't seen as lesser. I think I have been guilty of proclaiming a certain superiority in absoluteness in the past, and I have come to look back upon that and change that view on life.

I accept that life is as it is. I think that the extreme lack of acceptance in this world is what continues to destroy it. It shouldn't matter if I'm Atheist, and you're Christian, or Jewish, or Islamic. It shouldn't matter if I'm an American, you're British, and he's Iranian. It shouldn't matter if I'm Caucasian, you're African, or he's Asian. In the end, what are we? Human. And what have we all neglected so long in our own selfish quests for purpose? Everything and everyone around us that we feel are so inherently different.

That's what I'd like to change in the world if I have that chance.

What about you? Anything in particular that you have qualms about? Anything that you are so devoted to that nothing could ever sway you about? What do you think about what I've mentioned briefly here? Feel free to open up.

"Be wary of what lurks about when the darkness consumes you, for it is not the darkness you should be most afraid of, but those rays of light that should care to take advantage of your unhealthy state of mind."
View Public Profile Find more posts by Warlyik Add Warlyik to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(11-Dec-2006 at 04:54)

Simply and completely, the Golden Rule:

"Do unto others as you'd have done to you."

(...or more precisely: treat others as you would like to be treated, if you were them).

It solves nearly all contemporary moral debates directly and precisely and unequivocally, and it avoids the dilemna of seeking some sort of dogmatic primacy. It's the occam's razor of morality.

CanWe
L O T U S
View Public Profile Find more posts by Glitterdown Add Glitterdown to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(11-Dec-2006 at 07:25)

Experience all that life has to offer. What is more beautiful thing then life? lets cherish our lives, and devise how to get the most out of it. I don't mean to be greedy, but instead to 'grow as a human'(I hate that phrase) in a way. The chances of our lives happening in the grand scheme of things is infintly small, and should keep us in awe of its wonder permanently.

This too will pass
View Public Profile Find more posts by Samurai Pooh Add Samurai Pooh to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(11-Dec-2006 at 10:23)
Just live so that when you are dying you can look back on your life with a smile and minimal regrets.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into." - Jonathon Swift
View Public Profile Find more posts by nkari Add nkari to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(11-Dec-2006 at 16:08)

Quote:
What about you?
Well to quote a movie i saw once
There are only four questions of value in life.What is sacred? Of what is the spirit made? What is worth living for, and what is worth dying for? The answer to each is the same: only love.

Thats pretty much it.I think you should be devoted to the people you love.Be that family,lovers,children of friends.Everybody else can go to hell for all i care

Quote:
What do you think about what I've mentioned briefly here?
Well outside of the people i love i have pretty much the oposite view of you.When it comes to strangers i don't accept them until they prove that they are worthy human beings.If they don't manage to do it i will consider them inferior and will continue to have only contempt for them

Quote:
"Do unto others as you'd have done to you."
You know i can't help but think that whoever invented that rule has never met a masochists.Cause in this case it's a really really bad idea

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common; they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit the views

Last edited by DHoffryn, 11-Dec-2006 at 16:10.
View Public Profile Find more posts by DHoffryn Add DHoffryn to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(11-Dec-2006 at 16:40)

Re: Philosophy in Life

Originally Posted by DHoffryn: View Post
You know i can't help but think that whoever invented that rule has never met a masochists. Cause in this case it's a really really bad idea
Morality is a two-way street, you not only treat others as you'd like to be treated if you were them, but you also treat people in the manner they wish to be treated and the manner in which you wish to treat them.

Originally Posted by Wikipedia:
The ethic of reciprocity or Golden Rule of ethics, should not be confused with a "rule" in the semantic or logical sense. A logical loophole in the positive form of Golden "rule" is that it would require a masochist to harm others, even without their consent, if that is what the masochist would wish for himself. This loophole can be addressed by invoking a supplementary rule, which is sometimes called the silver rule. This states "treat others in the way that they wish to be treated". The silver rule could demand that the golden rule be re-written as "Do unto others as they would have done unto them".
Which I guess you might say would make a similar case for Sadomasochism. But really it would only apply to relations between a Sadist (someone who desires to harm others) and a Masochist (someone who desires to be harmed). But that's a match made in heaven anyway.

CanWe
L O T U S
View Public Profile Find more posts by Glitterdown Add Glitterdown to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(11-Dec-2006 at 22:26)

Re: Philosophy in Life

Originally Posted by DHoffryn: View Post
Well to quote a movie i saw once
There are only four questions of value in life.What is sacred? Of what is the spirit made? What is worth living for, and what is worth dying for? The answer to each is the same: only love.

Thats pretty much it.I think you should be devoted to the people you love.Be that family,lovers,children of friends.Everybody else can go to hell for all i care
Love is definitely something to strive for. But I think Love is a part of a greater whole, in that there are very few people (if not any) that are complete, that feel like they can truly rely on themselves for everything they need. I'm guessing only a handful of these types ever existed. One example would probably be the Buddha. Love is a tool for which we as humans can find another to fulfill that which is missing inside of us, to make us whole. That is what I think, anyway. It seems the best love is found where the bond is not through commonality, but differences, and overcoming these differences to become a better individual.

As for compassion for others.. Right now it is majorly needed. It is a malfunction of society, that we disgrace people we should think better of. We'd all be fine if we all thought inwards and fought for a true path to happiness, but not all people do, and it's a large part because of the imprinted values that society today has. It seems that wherever I go, I'm told to be successful I must step on everyone else's toes, punch them in the gut whenever I need to, and kick em while they're down when available. That's horrid. For success, we give up what makes us human.

Quote:
Well outside of the people i love i have pretty much the oposite view of you.When it comes to strangers i don't accept them until they prove that they are worthy human beings.If they don't manage to do it i will consider them inferior and will continue to have only contempt for them
If everyone felt this way then no one would get along. What is Worthy, by the way? Is there a tangible goal for what is worthy and what is not?

Quote:
You know i can't help but think that whoever invented that rule has never met a masochists.Cause in this case it's a really really bad idea
I like the Golden Rule. But it only works so long as others aren't willing to step on you. In this world, that happens far too often.

"Be wary of what lurks about when the darkness consumes you, for it is not the darkness you should be most afraid of, but those rays of light that should care to take advantage of your unhealthy state of mind."
View Public Profile Find more posts by Warlyik Add Warlyik to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(12-Dec-2006 at 11:09)

"Do unto others" totally and completely does not work in the competitive realms of sports, war, or (computer)games like utopia. Or any other situation that necessitates a winner and a loser. Thats a very important footnote, and therefore maybe a different ground rule should be formulated?

"Observers worldwide have been expressing great pity for the people of Gaza [...] This pity may be a natural emotional reaction, yet it is unethical and immoral." - Adi Dvir, Ynetnews editor
View Public Profile Find more posts by Peppie Add Peppie to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(12-Dec-2006 at 12:25)

You'd be surprised to find that the golden rule works wonderfully well in some situations of competition, like the classic Prisoners Dilemma. It may be the case that where there is by definition one winner and one loser, "do unto others" doesn't make much sense (Although you could well argue that *the* thing to do unto others in those situations is compete honorably, which is after all what you would have them do unto you, example: sports, utopia). However, in a situation where there is either a winner and a loser, 2 winners, or 2 losers, which means most of the situations in life (!), that is when the golden rule truly shows its worth. In other words, whenever cooperation is an option, it tends to be the best option for both parties involved in terms of outcome.

Your brain is unique in the history of the universe. Use it wisely.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Dusk Illz Add Dusk Illz to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $50.00
(12-Dec-2006 at 15:17)

Learn to accept a realistic amount wealth. Do not strive for the car, television or lifestyle that your skills, ambition & education will never afford you. Do not try to choose a life partner expecting that you will change them in anyway. Most importantly, always remember that your job is not your life Ė if it is, then you need to change your job.

That's my philosophy of life in a nutshell.

This is what every PvP argument boils down to:
Dear Devs:
Rock is overpowered, please nerf. Paper is fine.
Yours, Scissors
View Public Profile Find more posts by Grashnak Add Grashnak to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(13-Dec-2006 at 11:54)

Quote:
It seems the best love is found where the bond is not through commonality, but differences, and overcoming these differences to become a better individual.
Not really.I just don't see it.The whole oposites attract while a good song is very rarely true.

Quote:
As for compassion for others.. Right now it is majorly needed.
I disagree.I think there is too much compassion as it is.We should start being more selfish.

Quote:
. We'd all be fine if we all thought inwards and fought for a true path to happiness, but not all people do,
In small communities this may work but on a large scale i think this will be a disaster.Almost like communism

Quote:
That's horrid. For success, we give up what makes us human.
Why do you think that compassion and not competition is what makes us human?

Quote:
If everyone felt this way then no one would get along
Actually from what i've seen this is pretty much how everybody feels.

Quote:
What is Worthy, by the way?
I guess we all have different criteria for what we consider worthy

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common; they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit the views
View Public Profile Find more posts by DHoffryn Add DHoffryn to your Buddy List Reply with Quote