Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Polls Heaven

View Poll Results: Women should be permitted to breastfeed...
in the pool. 4 11.11%
on the pool deck. 23 63.89%
off the pool deck (AKA Not at all). 9 25.00%
Who voted? Voters: 36
You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(18-Nov-2008 at 19:41)

Breastfeeding in the Pool

So, as some of you may or may not know (AKA: not at all), I work as a lifeguard. While this has never personally occured, recently there was an incident in Ontario where a lifeguard asked a woman breastfeeding her infant to leave the pool area. This caused a good deal of controversy, as the right to breastfeed is protected in the Ontario Constitution.

As I'm in a province without this constitutional guarantee, it's not a legal issue for me. As such, try to leave this discussion to moral/safety/health/courtesy issues.

So, to the question:

Should women be permitted to breastfeed their children in the pool?

I'll be coming in with some other considerations later on, but I want to see gut reactions first.

A bit of a sticky wicket, isn't it?

Rumours of my demise are greatly exaggerated
Do the impossible
See the invisible
ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER
View Public Profile Visit Eltargrim's homepage Find more posts by Eltargrim Add Eltargrim to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(18-Nov-2008 at 19:50)

Can't really see the problem.Why shouldn't woman breastfeed and in a pool of all places?

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common; they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit the views
View Public Profile Find more posts by DHoffryn Add DHoffryn to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(18-Nov-2008 at 21:55)

No, women should probably not be allowed to breastfeed in a public pool. The level of chlorine contamination I have to imagine would be detrimental to the health of the infant, not to mention the other dubious substances that inevitably find their way into pools. On the deck seems perfectly acceptable to me, although you might want to put up a sign recommending women shower before hand if they've previously been in the pool just to avoid any residual chemical traces on the feeding area. Maybe this level of precaution is unwarranted, but barring a study proving it so I think it makes sense enough to be justified.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."
-Soren Kierkegaard
"Those who know don't say, and those who say don't know."
- Lao Tzu
More Quotes...

Last edited by Syke, 18-Nov-2008 at 22:00.
Edit reason: Babies shouldn't be in public pools period, but that's another topic all together.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Syke Add Syke to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(18-Nov-2008 at 22:08)

No. Babies shouldn't be taken to public placed period. If you want to throw out a whiny annoying brat for some totally insane reason, don't bother other people with it.

Modern world I'm not pleased to meet you

You just bring me down
View Public Profile Find more posts by Caelis666 Add Caelis666 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(18-Nov-2008 at 22:40)

IN the pool? It would seem that nobody is stupid enough to do that. I wouldn't even take a small baby into a pool with all those other annoying kids splashing around and bumping into you and the fragile tiny baby, let alone try to breastfeed it.

(And yes, one of the reasons I don't want kids is that I would be overprotective and worry all the time. My heart would fail 10 years sooner if I had them probably -- the others are: too expensive, no freedoms, annoying whiny little brats that make you feel like you love them anyway... blah).

So in the pool would seem a stupid idea from the mother's point of view if you ask me, but I wouldn't legally forbid them to.

2012 <--- GOOGLE BOMB IT.

Last edited by Sabbie, 18-Nov-2008 at 22:42.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Sabbie Add Sabbie to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(18-Nov-2008 at 23:39)

Just as a note: there are few laws forbidding what you can do in a pool. There are plenty of laws saying what we have to do to handle it, but legally speaking, there's no special set of laws saying you can't take a dump in the pool. Of course, we could still get you for defecating in a public place.

The prohibition would be solely due to the policies of the facility. Again, not a legal thing, per se.

Do the impossible
See the invisible
ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER
View Public Profile Visit Eltargrim's homepage Find more posts by Eltargrim Add Eltargrim to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(19-Nov-2008 at 01:22)

As Caelis said: breastfeeding in public = babies in public

Aside from that... yes, it's pretty fucking stupid to take an infant into a swimming pool, so it shouldn't be allowed (and I mean under law, as opposed to policy of the pool - it is a safety issue, and parents should be made to be responsible for their children's safety)

Tax collectors are a valid military target - chobham
View Public Profile Find more posts by Spectre19 Add Spectre19 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $0.44
(19-Nov-2008 at 10:38)

I think breast feeding IN the pool is potentially very dangerous to the infant and so it should not be done. However bringing an infant to the pool is a great thing in order to help them deal with the common fear of water and to even play and have much fun. And so if you can bring an infant to a place you should be able to feed it which means breast feeding. So I think as long as it's not in the pool it should be allowed to breast feed AT the pool. A baby doesn't have the same capabilities as a full grown person to wait it out, to eat when they want and so are limited, this is why the baby should be fed at that time.

And as for people who don't like the idea of breast feeding or at least in public - then I say to you give up now and bail on this whole being alive thing while you can. It's a natural part of human development and the development of many other species and if it wasn't for our technology all babies would have to be breast fed and it would really REALLY be around then.

And while someone might saying urinating is a natural part of our lives as well and so then if breast feeding is allowed why not public urination or pooping. And my response to this would be that as a species we have created a specific type of society which requires a certain amount of cleanliness for safety reasons and so doing this could potentially cause serious harm to the public. And it's not like you can't go in public, it's just how you do it. Babies, old people and those with health issues use diapers or other contraptions to go even while in public. You never know if the guy standing next to you on the elevator is peeing right next to you

I finally found my old account again, so I am now using this instead of my newer account - VaX

Only over time, long after we are gone, will we know if our actions were just
View Public Profile Find more posts by Emperor Sidious Add Emperor Sidious to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(19-Nov-2008 at 11:12)

You're making a fatal argumentation error.

What is natural =/= what is good or what should be done. There's simply no necessary connection between the two.

Modern world I'm not pleased to meet you

You just bring me down
View Public Profile Find more posts by Caelis666 Add Caelis666 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $0.44
(19-Nov-2008 at 11:17)

Re: Breastfeeding in the Pool

Originally Posted by Caelis666: View Post
You're making a fatal argumentation error.

What is natural =/= what is good or what should be done. There's simply no necessary connection between the two.
Well I'm just waiting for a second side to things, one that provides an actual reason against breast feeding.

I finally found my old account again, so I am now using this instead of my newer account - VaX

Only over time, long after we are gone, will we know if our actions were just

Last edited by Emperor Sidious, 19-Nov-2008 at 11:21.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Emperor Sidious Add Emperor Sidious to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
Research Group
Donated $25.30
(19-Nov-2008 at 13:58)

Just to be clear, was she doing it in the pool or just near the pool?

I have to agree that it would be dangerous to do so in the pool
and personally I have no objection to breastfeeding in public, the childs welfare rather trumps any discomfort I might have at an exposed breast

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"
R.I.P. InJustice!
Hit me up on Facebook

EWE-tah
View Public Profile Find more posts by Saint Sinner Add Saint Sinner to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(19-Nov-2008 at 19:38)

Originally Posted by Saint Sinner: View Post
Just to be clear, was she doing it in the pool or just near the pool?
Moot; consider this a hypothetical.

Do the impossible
See the invisible
ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER
(19-Nov-2008 at 20:29)

Regardless of if she was in the pool or just around the pool, there are morons abound. Any time the mother decides to feed in public she is paying more attention to the baby (as she should) and less to the morons around her. At any point she could be hit by any said moron which could potentially harm the baby.

And SaSi, you have a problem with women exposing her breasts in public? Wait ... entirely different issue.

In this "hypothetical situation", I wouldn't have asked the mother to leave the public pool - just simply asked her to move a little further away from the high traffic areas immediately around the pool for the safety of her child.
View Public Profile Visit Roxtin's homepage Find more posts by Roxtin Add Roxtin to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $2.08
(19-Nov-2008 at 22:56)

In the pool should not be allowed as there's hygene issues as well as risks to the child. If, however, a mother decides to go to a public pool, and needs to breastfeed her child, there shouldn't be a problem as long as she is away from the pool.

"Why should I have to work for everything?! It's like saying I don't deserve it!" - Calvin.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Stewie Add Stewie to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Global Moderator
Research Group
Donated $25.30
(20-Nov-2008 at 01:50)

Originally Posted by Eltargrim: View Post
Moot; consider this a hypothetical.
I was asking about the incident that was referred to in the first post
Anyway, how is that not a valid question?
The initial question uses the word in so I would have to assume that the mother and possibly the child was at least partially submerged

Originally Posted by Roxtin: View Post

And SaSi, you have a problem with women exposing her breasts in public? Wait ... entirely different issue.
I think i just worded my post wrong. I have no problem with breasts or when and where they are exposed. Unless they are ugly breasts

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"
R.I.P. InJustice!
Hit me up on Facebook

EWE-tah
View Public Profile Find more posts by Saint Sinner Add Saint Sinner to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(20-Nov-2008 at 03:57)

Originally Posted by Saint Sinner: View Post
Anyway, how is that not a valid question
Sorry, I should be clear. It is a valid question that should have no impact on your answer. As to the actual incident, I'm not sure where specifically she was breastfeeding; the report I received was ambiguous. I would assume that she was within the pool area.

Do the impossible
See the invisible
ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER
Global Moderator
Research Group
Donated $25.30
(20-Nov-2008 at 05:11)

Originally Posted by Eltargrim: View Post
Sorry, I should be clear. It is a valid question that should have no impact on your answer.
Well now it does since I assumed that in the pool meant submergence of some degree so now I have to ask you clarify the question

Did you mean to ask in the pool, which would deviate from the incident mentioned, or in the pool area?

This distinction would certainly impact my response as it would change the question from one of being about child safety to one of being about comfort and social acceptance

In the pool, as others have said, could pose serious health risks to the infant which cause me to object to it based on the safety of the child,
where as in the pool area would be considerably less dangerous to which I wouldnt have a problem with at all.

I comfortable with women breastfeeding in public, not so much with child endangerment

R.I.P. InJustice!
Hit me up on Facebook

EWE-tah
(20-Nov-2008 at 05:20)

As you'll see, the answers in the poll provide for both. In the pool means in the water. In the pool area means on the deck, but not necessarily immersed. The latter would also include sitting yourself on the pool deck with your legs in the water.

Do the impossible
See the invisible
ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER
Donated $11.20
(20-Nov-2008 at 16:36)

Women should be allowed to breastfeed wherever they are allowed to bottle feed, and babies should be allowed to eat wherever it's permissable for other humans to eat.

Most pools don't allow food and drink in the pool. If everyone can have a snack on the pool deck I see no reason breastfeeding shouldn't be allowed there. If food and drink is banned entirely from the pool deck, were it me, I'd be finding a different place to sun and swim.

Man is the only animal that blushes, or needs to.-- Mark Twain
View Public Profile Visit Michael1's homepage Find more posts by Michael1 Add Michael1 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Nov-2008 at 21:49)

Dude who cares about the in pool or not distinction? The problem is that she's doing it in public. There's nothing to stop her from going to the bathroom if her kid needs to eat, or she can do what many americans do and milk herself into a bottle if she feels that both natural milk and public feeding are necessary.

Now perhaps you think laws against public exposure are BS, and that's certainly a valid position, but if you'd be disturbed by me waving my dick around in a public area you should realize that there are people out there who are made equally uncomfortable by watching someone suck a woman's breast in public as well.

No need to offend sensibilities when there are easy alternatives like bottle feeding or private breast feeding.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Royal Assassin3 Add Royal Assassin3 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote