Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Polls Heaven

View Poll Results: What sports do/did you play?
Basketball 13 41.94%
American Football (Gridiron) 6 19.35%
Football (soccer) 20 64.52%
Hockey 4 12.90%
Golf 4 12.90%
Racquetball 6 19.35%
Martial Arts 9 29.03%
Rugby 4 12.90%
Tennis 9 29.03%
Other (There are plenty, like cricket, etc.) 21 67.74%
Who voted? Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31
You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(28-Jan-2009 at 19:16)

Sports you Play

I was just curious what sort of sports other people played. I myself played soccer and hockey in amateur leagues (though I haven't for a while). Also, I played basketball at work over the summer and am starting to learn to play golf. I also play racquetball with my roommate a lot.

Personally, I really enjoy soccer the most, but it's hard to come up with enough people to play decent games I think. Racquetball is nice because it lets you unleash some anger, but you need specialized courts to play it. Personally, I enjoy watching my Steelers in American Football, but... I'm in no way big enough to actually play without getting killed. Too bad, I used to love to imagine that I was a hard hitting safety or linebacker.

There was a thread with this same topic... but it's from a while back. Here's a link to it.
http://forums.utopiatemple.com/showt...ghlight=Sports

I miss Runey...
Band is good! Band is great! Band is how I got a date!
War Damn Eagle!
I love Reputation! Love it! Gimme Gimme Gimme!!! Please.
View Public Profile Find more posts by StarOwl Add StarOwl to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(28-Jan-2009 at 19:45)

I don't play anymore, but I used to play blade-hockey, soccer, and football with friends, and baseball in a minor-league.

Also, go Steelers!

If all else fails, call someone a troll.
that can be fixed... /
View Public Profile Find more posts by Greeney Add Greeney to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(28-Jan-2009 at 20:12)

Nice thought for a poll StarOwl.

The only "sport" I really do is Martial Arts. Im in the Taekwondo Club up here at my college. I joined when I first got to college cause it seemed like an interesting change of pace from what I was used to (I was the band/choir "nerd").

Over the summer I play Ultimate Frisbee with a group of people, and my mom and I play badminton.

And although alot of people don't consider music a sport, I do two choirs up here at my college. People don't actually realize how physically and mentally demanding a good choir/band can be.

Time passes, people move. Like a river's flow, it never ends.
A childish mind will turn to noble ambition. Young love will become deep affection.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Felix Zalitz Add Felix Zalitz to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(28-Jan-2009 at 20:42)

I'll agree with that thing about not realizing how physical music can be. Back in high school though, we had to have a physical credit and marching band actually counted as it. That, and the fact that I am completely exhausted after playing in marching band at college games, attests to the fact that it is indeed very physical.

Also, I can't believe I left off baseball. It's a very common sport, just not one I've ever played. And Ultimate Frisbee. I played that back in high school with the German club, but haven't really since.

I miss Runey...
War Damn Eagle!
View Public Profile Find more posts by StarOwl Add StarOwl to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Celtic20)
(28-Jan-2009 at 22:05)

I used to play Basketball and Gaelic Football but gave them up a while ago. Also dabbled in other sports such as soccer, rugby, martial arts but never really stuck with any of them.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Celtic22 Add Celtic22 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(28-Jan-2009 at 23:34)

My 'other' was swimming. I was pretty kick ass when I was a little kid.

I am the darkness in your life, I am the light
I am the end of your tunnel, I am the beginning of your future
I am the end, your end. I am the path to your salvation.

Your bane, or your hope. You decide.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Brightbane Add Brightbane to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(29-Jan-2009 at 09:09)

I did Judo for a bunch of years and after that handball for 10 years or so. Had to quit after I fucked up my shoulder though.

Modern world I'm not pleased to meet you

You just bring me down
View Public Profile Find more posts by Caelis666 Add Caelis666 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(30-Jan-2009 at 08:07)

I was a competitive fencer for roughly seven years. Prior to that I played as sweeper in soccer (and still do in the intramural leagues).

Other than that I've played some racquetball and flag football.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."
-Soren Kierkegaard
"Those who know don't say, and those who say don't know."
- Lao Tzu
More Quotes...
View Public Profile Find more posts by Syke Add Syke to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(30-Jan-2009 at 14:17)

I used to play baseketball,football,voleyball, badminton and tennis. Oh and back in the day i used to play something a bit like american football . We didn't really have a name for it. It was basicly just running really fast and then crashing into each other. It was very fun. Altough it didn't last long since one of our guys kinda missed one day and crashed into the vice principal. That was quite unfortunate since she was a real bitch

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common; they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit the views
View Public Profile Find more posts by DHoffryn Add DHoffryn to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(31-Jan-2009 at 22:21)

Why not just say Football (Gridiron) instead of adding American to it? There is Canadian football which is also gridiron.

Anyways, I played on my highschool Canadian football/rugby teams, played soccer for a couple years before I was a teenager, played floor hockey/basketball in elementary school, badminton in highschool and paintball/hackey sack on the side.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Acadian9 Add Acadian9 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(01-Feb-2009 at 02:05)

Rather call it waht it really is, not american football.

Personaly I played a little football when i was younger and was a decent ennough sprinter. Nowadays the closest thing to a team sport I have done recently is group pushups and contact drills.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1231161141711.jpg (92.3 KB, 13 views)

Official #la drunken bum and gun-nut
Ladies, does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
To Naz "Nacho, nacho man I've got to be, a nacho man Nacho, nacho man"
I don't respect your beliefs and I don't care if you're offended. Cheers.
View Public Profile Visit Antikristuseke's homepage Find more posts by Antikristuseke Add Antikristuseke to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(01-Feb-2009 at 10:14)

i have done, not just tried but trained and competed in(not necesaraly successfull):
volleyball, soccer, swimming, golf, volleyball, wrestling, basketball, water polo, tennis.

The only sport I play often and well is basketball.

RIP John Lennon
View Public Profile Find more posts by Mandraque Add Mandraque to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(03-Feb-2009 at 01:42)

Re: Sports you Play

Originally Posted by Acadian9: View Post
Why not just say Football (Gridiron) instead of adding American to it? There is Canadian football which is also gridiron.

Anyways, I played on my highschool Canadian football/rugby teams, played soccer for a couple years before I was a teenager, played floor hockey/basketball in elementary school, badminton in highschool and paintball/hackey sack on the side.
Looking back on it, I could say that I figured American and Canadian football were similar enough. Honestly though, I just thought of the thread in RGD that I frequent and didn't consider similar but different games.

I'm not sure why it would be called 'not American football'. I'm confused.

Also, I'm a little surprised by the lack of racquetball players for the most part. Maybe it's just a college thing around here.

I miss Runey...
War Damn Eagle!
(03-Feb-2009 at 03:26)

Re: Sports you Play

Originally Posted by StarOwl: View Post
Looking back on it, I could say that I figured American and Canadian football were similar enough. Honestly though, I just thought of the thread in RGD that I frequent and didn't consider similar but different games.

Also, I'm a little surprised by the lack of racquetball players for the most part. Maybe it's just a college thing around here.
yeah, i know a lot of people who play racquetball up here. My roomate and all his friends play.

Time passes, people move. Like a river's flow, it never ends.
A childish mind will turn to noble ambition. Young love will become deep affection.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Felix Zalitz Add Felix Zalitz to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(03-Feb-2009 at 21:00)

Quote:

Canadian football is the same sport as American football, they just have slightly different rules. The CFL is closer to the NFL than the AFL (arena football league) is, and notice how everyone refers to the AFL as football just the same. Someone trying to say Canadian football is different than American football is just being overly nationalistic and trying to set themselves apart from the US. You could also look at it as American football as in North American, and last I looked, Canada is part of North America....

Note - I wouldn't refer to (American) Football as "American Football" ever...lol. If I did that people would look at me like I was a moron, lol. I simply call it football, and I refer to the CFL (Canadian football) as football too, just like the NFL. I also refer to European Football as soccer. Thats the way its done in my country, and on a international board like this i try to be PC and refer to the different sports as different names...

Anyways to get more back on topic I played (American) football in highschool, and played baseball as a youngster...believe it or not I also played soccer as a VERY young kid, like age 7 or so...

"Hmph, you and your third dimension."
"What about it?" "Oh nothing, its cute. We have five."
"Th-thousand."
"Yes five thousand."
"Dont question it."

Last edited by Chillin, 03-Feb-2009 at 21:04.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Chillin Add Chillin to your Buddy List Reply with Quote