Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Respectable General Discussions > Religious Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
(02-Jun-2012 at 19:00)

Re: The Problem of Suffering

Originally Posted by Voice of Reason: View Post
You clearly can't distinguish between cause and effect, or between the spiritual and the physical, so you are incapable of understanding what Buddhism is about which in turn means there is no point continuing this.

If you want to believe that Buddhism is about dealing with the suffering of being flogged, go ahead.
Talking to you is always a wasted endeavor these days. If you want to deny that the religion, with one its so called noble truths being suffering, has nothing to do with suffering, then go ahead.

Mars II - American Scientist
PhD - Physical Chemistry
View Public Profile Find more posts by Mars II Add Mars II to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(21-Jun-2012 at 12:32)
Regardless, Buddhism has nothing to say about God or the supposition that he is wholly good. There is no internal conflict in Buddhism with regards to suffering, it is merely samara, however suffering is a problem when imagining an omnipotent supercreator who is wholly good.

I like Mars' comment that suffering is merely a feeling. I wonder why it is so easy to declare that suffering is bad. Who said it isn't good? How are we supposed to know the difference?

Also, I am both amused and perplexed at Dusk Illz comment that 'suffering was never a problem for the believer.' This relates to the above. The chicken or the egg? What came first, God or suffering? How can we possibly know? How does the experience of suffering change as we develop our sense of freedom and truth about the world? i.e. is suffering absolute or is it relative?
View Public Profile Find more posts by Gotterdammerung Add Gotterdammerung to your Buddy List Reply with Quote