Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > Other Games' Forums > Mafia Forum Games

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
Donated $5.56
(11-Jul-2006 at 20:01)

content Designer Mafia

DESIGNER MAFIA

Welcome to Designer Mafia! We were just too lazy to come up with a good theme so we decided to let you pick the roles for the game.

Important Rules Specific to this game
Everyone who signs up needs to create a pro-town and anti-town role to be played by another player and PM me with the two roles within 48 hours of signing up. What me and Nimon will then do is pick one designed role from each player and assign it to another player. We will try to make the game as balanced as possible and you can expect some of the roles you design to be tweaked for balancing purposes.

Your role needs to be 3 things:
  1. Original. We don't want normal generic roles that are present in every game. Be creative.
  2. Not too weak. So no vanilla townie/mafia roles.
  3. Not too strong. Don't create roles which will lead to definite wins (remember the role you design is not for you but for someone else).
Try to come up with fun, strange, complex roles and if you think the role you design is a little overpowered then just send it anyway. We will decide if it's too strong, and if so we might edit your designed role to make it more balanced. Remember to write your role the way a mod would write one. You can also include things in the role that should be known by the mod but not by the player (a basic example of this would be an insane cop). Give your roles both a name and a role name (a basic example would be: Wolverine / Vigilante). The roles don't need to be very descriptive but you can make them descriptive if you want.

Given the nature of this game, we would like to request that you have played at least one mafia game beforehand and understand fully the nature (and complexities) of the game before signing up. The roles in this game will likely be very complex and coming up with a complex role is difficult. However if you really want to play and you can show that you understand the game and the roles you design are good ones then we will let you play.

If you want some inspiration or ideas as to the type of roles we expect then look at the roles of the original Designer Mafia game (scroll down to replies 286-288) or the roles of mafiascum's Designer Mafia game hosted by UT's very own Flying Dutchman.

We are looking for ideally 20 players but we can be flexible with this. Days will last around 72-96 and nights will last no longer than 48 hours. We will probably be a little flexible with the day length.

I think everyone should know the general rules so I won't post them here but a very important one is:
Never, ever quote (or appear to quote) any part of any PM that you recieve from me or Nimon. If you do this you will be modkilled.
View Public Profile Find more posts by daftbrain Add daftbrain to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(11-Jul-2006 at 20:02)

i'm in

Never let nobody in. And step right–on your dream,
If you really wanna take this trip. Fighting anywhere we go.
To face this cruel world. We gotta just fight forever!
We never stop...
View Public Profile Find more posts by pata Add pata to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $9.31
(11-Jul-2006 at 20:05)

Keep in mind that if you feel unsure about particular basics about Mafia, you shouldn't sign up for this game, as it's very likely going to get very complex. A good way to learn is to watch the people who know it best in action

Oh, and people, please be creative!

*prods the estonian* You're quick

My MSN is still [email protected].
My Skype is kapteindynetrekk

Last edited by Nimon, 11-Jul-2006 at 20:06.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Nimon Add Nimon to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Uncle Para)
Donated $2.04
(11-Jul-2006 at 20:06)
I would like to join, but it would be my first mafia So I'm not sure this would be a good one to start at? Not sure if I'm capable to make up any roles. Tho I've followed some of the mafia games in here lately so..

*edit*

nevermind, reading Nimon's post now, I won't join..

Last edited by Uncle Para, 11-Jul-2006 at 20:07.
View Public Profile Visit P a r a's homepage Find more posts by P a r a Add P a r a to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(12-Jul-2006 at 02:42)

Count me in. I'm gonna try and come with something really good.

1000 rep points...eeh I mean 296
Mods will never find me ^^ That's what you think *gasp* they're everywhere I wonder which one of the new mods will come here first...
View Public Profile Find more posts by demi Add demi to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $5.36
(12-Jul-2006 at 02:45)

I wish that I weren't going away for the next few weeks -- I'd love to play this. Put me down for a replacement if you still need them after August 4th

No Comment
View Public Profile Find more posts by BrandonC Add BrandonC to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Research Group
(12-Jul-2006 at 02:45)

Im in. And ive already got my roles worked out.

"To fear love is to fear life, and those who fear life are already three parts dead" - Bertrand Russell
Life without Emotion is like Sex without Intimacy.
Every now and then you get a snippet of pleasure but in the end none of it really matters.

Mafia Record 10-8 Mini-Mafia Record 1-7 / Survived 8 times / Lynched 9 times / Killed 9 times
View Public Profile Find more posts by Necal Add Necal to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as z3phyrCloud)
Donated $4.64
(12-Jul-2006 at 02:58)

*signs up*

*thinks of some roles*
View Public Profile Find more posts by CloudHeartsMeli Add CloudHeartsMeli to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(12-Jul-2006 at 03:03)

Ill sign up as a replacement.

"You spoony bard!"
View Public Profile Find more posts by TheIronMaiden Add TheIronMaiden to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(12-Jul-2006 at 03:27)

I'll sign up as a spectator.

I am not feeling too inspired at the moment to think of something.

The One and Only DMW
View Public Profile Find more posts by DeadMenWalking Add DeadMenWalking to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Lodewijk)
Donated $4.04
(12-Jul-2006 at 03:29)

You know you can't leave me out

I'll come up with something bizarre for all y'all to use.

So we can give them thematic names? Like, you mentioned, Wolverine from X-Men?

Is birth always a fall?
Do angels have wings? Can men fly?
View Public Profile Find more posts by Happy Sid Add Happy Sid to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(12-Jul-2006 at 03:31)
I'm in!!

Ohh this will be good
View Public Profile Find more posts by TiCkLe Add TiCkLe to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Research Group
(12-Jul-2006 at 04:01)

wait so we get to make our own role, or we just send you roles and you send them back out to people in the game??

PM the response and w/e it is im in

I'm 1970's pimp smooth...

Last edited by Money Mathews, 12-Jul-2006 at 04:01.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Money Mathews Add Money Mathews to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as wtfX)
(12-Jul-2006 at 04:01)

I'm in, sounds like lots of fun!

I have a question though: is this going to be themed in any way, or all-open?

I have to say I'd love to have a theme, so you have a grasp of something. Not a theme that comes with names though, but something like "Midieval Times" or "New York City" might help everyone's creative juices to start flowing.
I'll have something either way though, don't worry

Last edited by wtfX, 12-Jul-2006 at 04:05.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Lunor Add Lunor to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as z3phyrCloud)
Donated $4.64
(12-Jul-2006 at 04:04)

Re: Designer Mafia

Originally Posted by Money Mathews:
wait so we get to make our own role, or we just send you roles and you send them back out to people in the game??

PM the response and w/e it is im in
You make up a role and send it in. Then the mods will distribute out all the roles they get. So you'll get a role someone else made up.
View Public Profile Find more posts by CloudHeartsMeli Add CloudHeartsMeli to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Research Group
(12-Jul-2006 at 04:04)

Originally Posted by z3phyrCloud:
You make up a role and send it in. Then the mods will distribute out all the roles they get. So you'll get a role someone else made up.
k i wasn't sure we were getting our own role back. thanks zephyr

I'm 1970's pimp smooth...
View Public Profile Find more posts by Money Mathews Add Money Mathews to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(12-Jul-2006 at 04:12)

Man. Those are some really interesting roles.

I change my mind. I am in. I just got an inspiration from the land of horned helmets.

The One and Only DMW

Last edited by DeadMenWalking, 12-Jul-2006 at 04:16.
View Public Profile Find more posts by DeadMenWalking Add DeadMenWalking to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $9.31
(12-Jul-2006 at 04:12)

Originally Posted by Lodewijk:

So we can give them thematic names? Like, you mentioned, Wolverine from X-Men?
There's no specific theme. So, basically, you can do whatever you want so long as your role is neither too overpowered nor underpowered.

Also, about the originality-rule, it doesn't mean that you can't do anything you've remotly seen before like spy or reporter, just not the very basic roles we usually have here.

My MSN is still [email protected].
My Skype is kapteindynetrekk
View Public Profile Find more posts by Nimon Add Nimon to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(12-Jul-2006 at 05:11)

I'm in!

Damn do I have some good ideas.

I am the darkness in your life, I am the light
I am the end of your tunnel, I am the beginning of your future
I am the end, your end. I am the path to your salvation.

Your bane, or your hope. You decide.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Brightbane Add Brightbane to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(12-Jul-2006 at 05:40)

When I saw the name of the mafia, I thought it was gonna be about clothes designers, and I was like Oh my! whos idea was that

"You spoony bard!"
View Public Profile Find more posts by TheIronMaiden Add TheIronMaiden to your Buddy List Reply with Quote