Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > Media Mania > Movie Reviews and Discussions

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.75 average
Donated $5.36
(11-Jul-2006 at 20:34)

[2006] Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

Genre: Action / Adventure / Comedy / Fantasy

Director: Gore Verbinski

Plot: Jack owes an unpaid debt to Davy Jones and his army of sea-phantoms...his soul. Now, he must find a way to save himself from becoming one of them, and suffering forever.

Cast:
Johnny Depp .... Jack Sparrow
Orlando Bloom .... Will Turner
Keira Knightley .... Elizabeth Swann
Jack Davenport .... Norrington
Bill Nighy .... Davy Jones
Jonathan Pryce .... Governor Weatherby Swann
Lee Arenberg .... Pintel
Mackenzie Crook .... Ragetti
Kevin McNally .... Gibbs
David Bailie .... Cotton
Stellan Skarsgård .... Bootstrap Bill
Tom Hollander .... Cutler Beckett
Geoffrey Rush .... Barbossa
Naomie Harris .... Tia Dalma
Martin Klebba .... Marty

IMDB Link:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0383574/

No Comment
View Public Profile Find more posts by BrandonC Add BrandonC to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(11-Jul-2006 at 20:45)

Awesome movie! I really only have one thing to say about it, but I'll shove it in the spoiler tag so I don't ruin it for everyone.

Haha, made you look! I'm not revealing anything, go see the movie. It's great!

Dual champions in Football and Basketball! Go Gators!

Welcome to The Swamp, where only Gators get out alive.
View Public Profile Visit zeegs's homepage Find more posts by zeegs Add zeegs to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(User is Banned)
Donated $2.04
(11-Jul-2006 at 20:58)
Though I have an affection for pirates, I thought this was going to be shit when I entered the cinema. But it wasn't. It is significantly better than the first one. The jokes actually worked, the action scenes were great, and though most of the acting ranged from melodramatic to wooden (with Orlando Bloom miraculously achieving both), Johnny Depp pulls off his character perfectly. I didn't even notice that 2 hours had passed, by the end.

The only problem with it is that the ending is terrible. I realise they are building it up for a trilogy, but still it was just bad.

Anyway, very entertaining. 4/5
View Public Profile Find more posts by Kazac Add Kazac to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(11-Jul-2006 at 21:17)

disapointing but refreshing nonetheless. Go see it. 4/5
View Public Profile Find more posts by Nojim Add Nojim to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(11-Jul-2006 at 21:42)
I really enjoyed this movie. It was long, but it didnt feel like it, the time went by quickly. I thought it was alot funnier than the first movie and the special effects were awesome. The bad part is having to wait for the third movie.

I give it 4 and half/5. Johnny Depp is a babe.
View Public Profile Find more posts by TiCkLe Add TiCkLe to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $5.56
(11-Jul-2006 at 23:10)

Great movie. Very entertaining. It was very funny and it has great action scenes. And definately one of the best CGI in a movie I've seen. Can't remember watching a movie in which the special effects look so realistic. Johhny Depp's acting was brilliant. Deserves another Oscar nomination although I don't think he'll be getting one. But..
It just doesn't feel like a complete movie. It feels like the first half of an incredibly good movie which will only be complete when the third installment comes out next year.

9/10
View Public Profile Find more posts by daftbrain Add daftbrain to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(12-Jul-2006 at 01:53)

It is so rare to find a movie sequel that performs as well as its predecessor. There are arguments for both movies being better, but they are both just so awesome there is no point. Definitely go and see this movie.

9.8/10
View Public Profile Find more posts by EvilDH Add EvilDH to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Lodewijk)
Donated $4.04
(12-Jul-2006 at 01:59)

I *hate* Keira Knightley. *sniff* Horrible trollop...

I suppose it was entertaining enough, but I got the impression at times that the fight scenes were dragged on for way too long. I mean, at some point, you just have to realise -
yes, they are fighting on a giant wheel. We get it. It's amazing. But you've dragged it on for too long!

I actually liked the ending, it took me totally by surprise - and it's a good setup for the finale. And I really, really dislike Orlando Bloom.

Jonny Depp is teh bestest evah, as usual.

7.5-8/10

Is birth always a fall?
Do angels have wings? Can men fly?
View Public Profile Find more posts by Happy Sid Add Happy Sid to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(12-Jul-2006 at 02:25)

Re: [2006] Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

Originally Posted by Lodewijk:
I *hate* Keira Knightley. *sniff* Horrible trollop...
You kidding? She is hotness. Although they did make her pretty damn evil in this one.

10 minutes till the end I was thinking to myself. Gee... I wonder how they are going to tie up all those loose ends in just 10 minutes. I was not thrilled at the answer. I too was pissed that the movie was really just the first half of one big movie. Other than that, I liked the movie.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Royal Assassin3 Add Royal Assassin3 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as z3phyrCloud)
Donated $4.64
(12-Jul-2006 at 03:51)

All was going well until the

Kiera Knightley evil bit

which I totally did not understand.

The humour wasn't terribly funny, but it made me chuckle anyway.

<3 Johnny Depp. Can't wait for the third.

9/10
View Public Profile Find more posts by CloudHeartsMeli Add CloudHeartsMeli to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(12-Jul-2006 at 17:00)
Aw my god what a hot movie. Like a 100 times better then the first one ( and one has to consider the first one was great already :P). 2 thumbs up for Jhony Depp, Keira is one of the hottest anyway and Orlando Bloom made a nice role aswell. Adventures, comedy, action... everything in one movie. GO WATCH IT!

The end of the movie pwns and sux at the same time tho.
Why the heck had they make it a cliffhanger :/.

Ah well, cant wait for the thirt part... Go go go relase it NOW!

9.9/10

Some people are so ungrateful for being alive. But not you, not anymore.

Last edited by BrandonC, 12-Jul-2006 at 18:35.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Alosan Add Alosan to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Meli)
(15-Jul-2006 at 10:33)

Hm, seems like I'm the only one who liked the first one just a tinge better. I guess I'm just too fond of Geoffrey Rush.

Oh, so he appeared for what, 10 seconds at the end. Not good enough! ><
And because of that, I'm scared to death to watch the third one next year. What if they ruin him? T.T Oh well, I'm sure Rush himself will manage to save the character just in case =D

Okay, I'll cut it out with the angst and continue about the movie, which kicked absolute ass. Johnny Depp was genius, and I loved Bill Nighy as Davy. Although not particularly scary, he really was evil, and I think that's hard to pull off if you're walking around with those.. thingies on your face.

One of the things I really liked where the references back to the first movie. I'm afraid the rum-joke might start to feel a bit overused by the time of the third movie, but it still worked here and I couldn't believe it when I saw a couple of animals back =D

Didn't like Knightley very much, though. I'm not sure if it's about her, or about Lizzy, but something felt off whenever I watched a scene with her in it.
Loved her fainting act, though. The outcome was soo predictable XD

Orlando Bloom didn't even bother me so much in this movie. But that was probably because I went with a group of Orlie-fangirls who's comments about him were just too funny for words XD

This is one of the first set-up movies that I truly liked. It gets serious bonus-points for that. The biggest downside was that guy next to me with the really annoying laugh ><

8,5/10

MeliHeartsCloud Hearts CloudHeartsMeli
View Public Profile Find more posts by MeliHeartsCloud Add MeliHeartsCloud to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as moonblooded)
(16-Jul-2006 at 12:15)

Re: [2006] Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

Originally Posted by Kazac:
The jokes actually worked, the action scenes were great, and though most of the acting ranged from melodramatic to wooden (with Orlando Bloom miraculously achieving both)
Haha, yeah! Still no love to the cast, except for Mr. Depp. I like the first one better, but Johnny Depp is singularly awesome in both, and it did what it was supposed to do - entertain - though it was a little long.

4/5

of a personal God quaquaquaqua with white beard quaquaquaqua outside time without extension who from the heights of divine apathia divine athambia divine aphasia loves us dearly;
wastes and pines wastes and pines

beckett, waiting for godot
View Public Profile Find more posts by moonduck Add moonduck to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(17-Jul-2006 at 01:58)
johnny depp did great in this movie yet again, the action sequences were great and i was pleasantly suprised as how many members of the former cast returned. The ending although dissapointing, was very suprising to me.

rating: 8/10

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
View Public Profile Find more posts by SickSeeLah Add SickSeeLah to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(17-Jul-2006 at 14:04)

Fun movie. Although some of Sparrow's lines seem to have been forced (e.g. his small speeches with plenty of synonyms). Sparrow didn't really "shine" in this movie, although he still stands out in his scenes. Davy Jones and Will Turner did.

I thought at first that an octopus-head Jones would be bad, when I saw the trailer. But his facial expressions and good rendering (and superb voice acting) proved me wrong. The characters are still lovable. There are just a few unnecessary scenes, but, though unnecessary, they're not dragging. So it's still fun.

I was also weirded out by the ending.
I don't hate Swann for doing it. It was just so out of character. I mean, I knew she was sly, but not evil sly. Still, can't hate her for doing it, because at the back of my head, I know it's some kind of writers' impulse that did that scene. It was just weird. Would have been better if Sparrow stayed out of his own will, then he would have been really a "good man." But I guess that's also a deviation from Sparrow's character.

Overall: 8/10
View Public Profile Find more posts by Aletheia Add Aletheia to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $1.24
(18-Jul-2006 at 06:29)

Well, I find it ridiculous that this had the biggest 3-day gross ever in theaters, because it really wasn't worth the hype either way.

That being said, Dead Man's Chest makes a pretty good popcorn flick. Lots of action, some drama, a good dose of humor, great special effects, and scant on the character development.

You really get the sense that this is the second movie in a trilogy. They're building up for big things to happen, but the reward is in that there's another movie coming, not in this one itself.

There were a couple of slightly over-the-top swordfighting (and similar action-type) scenes. For me, they were fantastically fun, amazingly well-orchestrated, and probably the highlight of the movie.

6.9 out of 10

"A smile is the perfect gift--personal and encouraging."--one Dove Chocolate wrapper
"Love is always the perfect gift."--another Dove Chocolate wrapper
"A loving smile is the perfect personal gift of encouragement" -SaSi
Eh... I'll go with the Dove wrappers.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Wavelength Add Wavelength to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(22-Jul-2006 at 19:48)

I caught it the other day, and I'm kinda surprised that noboy mentioned this -

When Turner went looking for Sparrow, and ended up getting caught, I had a feeling of King Kong all over again I mean the freakish people, the background, the music.. Even the part where one of the crew grabbed a snake instead of a vine while attempting to escape. So much resemblance

But overall it was still lovable. Depp was amazing as usual, so was the Kraken

Valar Morghulis
View Public Profile Find more posts by Spine Add Spine to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(23-Jul-2006 at 09:17)

I apsolutely enjoyed this mouvie. First of all, I'm fascinated with all the things pirate ever since the Monkey Island series, so watching this was like a dream come true to me.

I loved almoust every aspect of the mouvie. Johnny Depp kicks ass, but Orlando Bloom's acting was terrible at times.

Since I'm so biased when it comes to pirates, privateers, swashbucklers, corsairs and bushwacklers, I'm giving this mouvie one big 9/10. It seems to me that the first part was a little bit better. Can't wait for the sequel, but in the same time I'm afraid that they might ruin it.

I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay
I sleep whole night, I work all day.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Ian Out Add Ian Out to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(03-Aug-2006 at 22:52)

Was a very good movie. Jhonny Depp was just amazing.
The wheel fighthing scene was a bit too long. Also for some reason i don't understand how the heart ended up at norrington's hands...

Overaly i would give this movie 4,3/5 altrough i think it is a little bit overrated.

Never let nobody in. And step right–on your dream,
If you really wanna take this trip. Fighting anywhere we go.
To face this cruel world. We gotta just fight forever!
We never stop...

Last edited by pata, 03-Aug-2006 at 22:54.
View Public Profile Find more posts by pata Add pata to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(04-Aug-2006 at 05:20)

now i dont actually GO to watch movies that often, at all....but by some completely out there circumstance my me and my dad saw this

soooo......

i think it was to long, and i think the ending basically sucked, being that it more or less just tries to suck you into watching part 3, which it did a good job of, because i kinda wanna see it

but besides of the fact of being basically just a 2 and half hour introduction to part 3, i do like the movie, it has good action and good effects, a lil bit of funny stuff thrown in there as well

3.2/5

"Hmph, you and your third dimension."
"What about it?" "Oh nothing, it’s cute. We have five."
"Th-thousand."
"Yes five thousand."
"Don’t question it."
View Public Profile Find more posts by Chillin Add Chillin to your Buddy List Reply with Quote