Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > The Lunatic Asylum

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
Research Group
Donated $12.00
(06-Jan-2006 at 16:32)

lightbulb Utopia Temple [email protected] team!

[email protected] is a distributed-computing project whose goal is to understand protein folding, misfolding, and related diseases:
  • Alzheimer's Disease
  • Cancer
  • Huntington's Disease
  • Osteogenesis Imperfecta
  • Parkinson's Disease
  • Ribosome & antibiotics

If you want to take part, you can download a program from that site which uses your computer's idle time & bandwidth to perform parts of lengthy calculations for protein folding simulations.

Participants can form and join teams and submit their work in their team's name (as well as their own). I thought that there would probably be enough interested people here to have a go a this

I've set up a team named Utopia Temple, with UT as the team homepage. With BG's permission, I'd like to set the main Temple graphic as our logo.
If you want to join the team, enter 48469 as the team number when setting up the client (it only takes a few minutes, and after that it runs on startup automatically).

Computer idle all the time? Want to help with medical research?
Join the UT [email protected] team
(our stats) (text-only client)

View Public Profile Visit rexregum's homepage Find more posts by rexregum Add rexregum to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $4.24
(06-Jan-2006 at 16:34)

Sounds ok and the right thing to do .. I might join it once I get back to my dormroom since the net connection is rather good.
View Public Profile Find more posts by RoWizzies Add RoWizzies to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $32.56
(06-Jan-2006 at 17:03)

While we're at it. BOINC!

First they came for the Communists, and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn’t a Communist.
Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn’t a Trade Unionist.
Then they came for the Jews, and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak up for me.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Catsluck Add Catsluck to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(User is Banned)
Donated $16.01
(06-Jan-2006 at 17:04)

I thought this was gonna be an origami contest... >_>

Cartman > Sheila Broflovski
I cannot guess what we'll discover / We turn the dirt with our palms cupped like shovels
But I know our filthy hands can wash one another’s / And not one speck will remain

Jay is Games when You is Bored | Join now to keep more Nimons from actuating a lever
This is bunny. Copy bunny into your buddy list to help you on your way to being stalked.
View Public Profile Visit djot76's homepage Find more posts by djot76 Add djot76 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Research Group
Donated $12.00
(06-Jan-2006 at 18:15)

Well, I do a bit of that when I'm bored. It's a hobby I go back to occasionally, but for now I'm happy involving people in this.

View Public Profile Visit rexregum's homepage Find more posts by rexregum Add rexregum to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(06-Jan-2006 at 18:51)

if you're really competitive about it you can also check out rankings at http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/
View Public Profile Find more posts by Beelzebub Add Beelzebub to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(06-Jan-2006 at 19:13)

Okay, I'm sharing precious bandwidth.

Because nothing impresses the ladies like: "I'm sharing bandwidth on UT team 48469 to help research folding protein and folding protein diseases!"

"It is one of the most remarkable things that in all of the biological sciences there is no clue as to the necessity of death." - Richard Feynman

"We have a duty to die." - Dick Lamm, former Governor of Colorado
View Public Profile Visit Grotus's homepage Find more posts by Grotus Add Grotus to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(06-Jan-2006 at 21:58)

Re: Utopia Temple [email protected] team!

Originally Posted by Grotus:
Okay, I'm sharing precious bandwidth.

Because nothing impresses the ladies like: "I'm sharing bandwidth on UT team 48469 to help research folding protein and folding protein diseases!"
It might impress a certain type of lady. You know, hippy ladies.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Sygnal Add Sygnal to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(06-Jan-2006 at 22:05)

Wait...why would it impress women with big hips?

"It is one of the most remarkable things that in all of the biological sciences there is no clue as to the necessity of death." - Richard Feynman

"We have a duty to die." - Dick Lamm, former Governor of Colorado
View Public Profile Visit Grotus's homepage Find more posts by Grotus Add Grotus to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(User is Banned)
Donated $16.20
(07-Jan-2006 at 00:03)

sunglasses

Sounds good. I think I'll join in, computer's always running anyhow, even the 10 hours I'm off for work, and the 5 hours I'm sleeping =P so why not.
View Public Profile Find more posts by SM Tengu Add SM Tengu to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(07-Jan-2006 at 16:18)

Tried it last time it was mentioned here on UT. But since my computer more of less sucks I abandoned it.

(¯·._(¯·._(¯·._(¯·._(¯·.______SERGIU______.·¯)_.·¯ )_.·¯)_.·¯)_.·¯)
)
~ . . . . . . . . .Political mafia ~|~ Mafia forum. . . . . . . . . ~(
(
~. . . . . . . . . . . . . Proud EnD member . . . . . . . . . . . . .~)
)
~ Join us in #bar ~|~ Join us in #mafiagame for some fun~(
(_.·¯(_.·¯(_.·¯(_.·¯(_.·¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯·._)¯·._ )¯·._)¯·._)¯·._)
View Public Profile Find more posts by Sergiu EnD Add Sergiu EnD to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Research Group
Donated $12.00
(07-Jan-2006 at 18:31)

That doesn't matter so much- provided you've got 32MB of ram and run one of the operating systems listed on this page, your computer is still capable of helping.

If your computer is more than 4 years old, though, it's worth configuring it to do work that doesn't come with deadlines for completion

(07-Jan-2006 at 22:08)

Please do participate in the project. This world has a lot of wasted computer power - you could make a difference while your computer is idle! And don't underestimate a P1 processor with 32MB of ram, it used to be a supercomputer many years ago - and computers much much weaker than that made a huge difference in the WWII!!
View Public Profile Find more posts by Celethorn Add Celethorn to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Research Group
Donated $12.00
(08-Jan-2006 at 23:28)

Finally- off the mark!

Humiliatingly, I seem to have contributed less to our team than any of the other members so far:

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...&teamnum=48469

I'm attempting to compensate for this by opting in for more demanding stuff to do- my laptop has 1GB of ram and I hardly use any of it, so I decided to unlock the most demanding work . As I speak, it's using over 400MB of ram + virtual ram

(Posted as im special)
(09-Jan-2006 at 03:35)

I already fold for another group.
Stats

It doesnt require a fast connection or even a fast computer. There is hardly ever a time where you use 100% of your CPU's capasity, so it uses that so you dont notice a diffrence in speed. And it only connects to the internet once you have finnished a work unit, so if you only have a 56k dial up thats fine!

Last edited by im special, 09-Jan-2006 at 03:42.
View Public Profile Find more posts by DuffMan1 Add DuffMan1 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(09-Jan-2006 at 05:49)

I also fold for OCAU already... http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...hp?s=&u=135331
View Public Profile Find more posts by Beelzebub Add Beelzebub to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(User is Banned)
Donated $16.20
(09-Jan-2006 at 08:30)

sunglasses

Unfortunatly my gfxcard uses some driver that my monitor doesn't like when running this program. The monitor can't find an input signal all of a sudden at random times since I installed it. I noticed that when I opened up the program this occured so I've uninstalled it =(
View Public Profile Find more posts by SM Tengu Add SM Tengu to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $32.56
(09-Jan-2006 at 08:37)

Re: Utopia Temple [email protected] team!

Originally Posted by SM Tengu:
Unfortunatly my gfxcard uses some driver that my monitor doesn't like when running this program. The monitor can't find an input signal all of a sudden at random times since I installed it. I noticed that when I opened up the program this occured so I've uninstalled it =(
If you still want to make a better place You could try boinc! Hopefully you wont run into the same problem.

First they came for the Communists, and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn’t a Communist.
Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn’t a Trade Unionist.
Then they came for the Jews, and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak up for me.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Catsluck Add Catsluck to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Research Group
Donated $12.00
(09-Jan-2006 at 10:41)

ninja

There's also a text-only [email protected] client that should avoid any graphics issues anyone might have- that's the one I use. It's unnoticeable except as a process in Task Manager.

Setting up the text-only client is simple:
  • Save the file above in the folder you want it to install in.
  • Open the 'Run' box (Start -> Run... or windows key + r for most people)
  • Click 'Browse', find the folder you put the file in, select the file and click 'Open'.
  • At the end of the text that's now in the 'Run' box, type " -config" (with a space in front, but without the speech marks).
  • Click OK. The client will open in a window, and it'll ask you to set each option in turn.
  • After you've finished setting options, it'll run in the same window until you close it. When it runs on startup, it doesn't open a window.
If you're morbidly competitive about this sort of thing, and you have a fast PC with at least 1GB of ram, there are two options you can set to get most out of it, while configuring the client as above. It'll ask if you want to set advanced options, and you'll need answer 'yes' to do this.
  • Set the client to allow sending of work units >5MB
  • Set the client to use advanced methods.
This unlocks the really demanding cores and work units, which score more points for the team.

(User is Banned)
Donated $16.20
(09-Jan-2006 at 14:54)

Will try that when I get home. It's not like I need to look at those balls of DNA anyhow