Utopia Temple
Main Forum Page Register an Account for Free! Calendar Frequently Asked Questions about this Board View New Posts Advanced Search Login
  Utopia Temple Forums > General Discussions > The Lunatic Asylum

Post New Thread Reply
Author Thread
Donated $6.28
(15-Feb-2006 at 02:43)

sunglasses My Band

Hooray hooray.

Its time for me to do a bit of pimping of my band.

You should all go here and listen to the first track off of our demo.

Thanks,

Zelun

My Band
How many bass players does it take to change a light bulb?
5. One to change it, and the other 4 to hold the guitarists back who are trying to hog the light.

Last edited by Zelun, 15-Feb-2006 at 02:44.
Edit reason: I put a smiley in so people whould read it
View Public Profile Find more posts by Zelun Add Zelun to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(15-Feb-2006 at 03:01)
I listened to it, singers got some ... okay vocals. But because there's no guitar, be it lead or rhythm I just don't feel it. Keyboards are nice. You need guitar though.... It's just not the same. Original, but just not something that'd become big.
View Public Profile Find more posts by kakaloom Add kakaloom to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $6.28
(15-Feb-2006 at 03:08)

When we recorded that we where still very much in the experimental stage of distorted cello. The cello is meant to be a lot more prominent than it turned out on the demo.

Thanks for the comment anyway

My Band
5. One to change it, and the other 4 to hold the guitarists back who are trying to hog the light.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Zelun Add Zelun to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as acadian9)
(15-Feb-2006 at 03:30)

teeth

i actually liked it. (kinda reminds me of the vocalist from evanescence.) it is better than most of the garage bands in my area. u should really add the lead guitar like kakaloom said. i didnt like the sudden cymbol crashes near the end tho. didnt flow with the music. all in all, its a very good song. (just add a lead guitarist!)
View Public Profile Find more posts by Acadian9 Add Acadian9 to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(15-Feb-2006 at 03:39)

I enjoyed it. It's not impossible to become successful and famous without a guitar -- Keane, for instance, or Ben Folds Five (I think) don't have guitars. I know there are more, but I don't feel like researching.
The vocals are nice, but she would be better with more vocal training to make her voice stronger.
I liked it quite a bit, though...but I'm a fan of piano rock.
Wish you luck.
View Public Profile Find more posts by emo kat Add emo kat to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $6.28
(15-Feb-2006 at 03:46)

Thanks

Like I said, next time we record (or if you are in a geographically suitable location to see us play live) the cello will be much more prominent. Cellos can cut it as lead/rhythm instruments. (Check out Apocalyptica if you don't believe me)

Besides, everyone has a guitar in their band.

Edit: Thanks emo kat. Elena didn't really come through too hot on that recording. She isn't anywhere near as shrill IRL. Not that I have anyway to prove that.

My Band

Last edited by Zelun, 15-Feb-2006 at 03:48.
(Posted as Dannoman)
(15-Feb-2006 at 04:09)
I quite like that man.
Considering there are no effects on Elena's voice (which is why she does sound a little flat, and there usually are effects; to give it some body and make it sound fuller) it was pretty good. i think it would be worth checking out some good sound gear to help with the vocals.
as acadian9 said, alot better than most garage bands.
Muse, although they do use guitars, blend the piano is rather well. Kinda reminded me of them.
well done.
View Public Profile Find more posts by Isouttahere Add Isouttahere to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $6.28
(15-Feb-2006 at 04:30)

I thought I might as well post this up. Its a review we got in one of the local street presses last week. Rave to be exact.

Originally Posted by Rave:
REDAMBER Ė Another Day
(Independent)
"Ambitious demo from young Brisbane
post-rock crew"

One of the joys (and pains) of reviewing indie
CDs is that you get to hear a wide range of artists,
and at different stages of development. Another
Day is a good example of an early demo by a young
band. Appropriately recorded in a church, the songs
lend themselves to that spiritual ambience, something
rare these days (see Thunderchild, definitely
the disc's highlight). The production is rough and
splattered with imperfections, the songs not all
that catchy, and at times the rhythm section
doesn't gel with the operatic vocal and piano. But
it's refreshing simply for the fact that Redamber
are NOT out to rock the world with tryhard, mumjust-
bought-me-a-Marshall-stack-for-Christmas-sowe-
feel-like-a-real-rock-band nu metal screams and
emo punk "anti-fashion" fashion. They've attempted
something beautiful, and did not fully
succeed on their first recording ever. Neither did
Pink Floyd.
PETER B

My Band
(15-Feb-2006 at 05:44)

I like it... I think the drums give it enough drive to keep it going, although the sound levels break down around 1.30 which spoils it a little. But yeah, keep posting updates and I shall be following you with interest! Don't post updates, and well... I'll forget about you probably

Last edited by djot76, 15-Feb-2006 at 14:37.
Edit reason: Corrected time being messed up by locations blocker.
View Public Profile Visit Fallacy's homepage Find more posts by Fallacy Add Fallacy to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as Drizzzt)
Donated $2.20
(15-Feb-2006 at 08:52)

Ooo, compared to Pink Floyd.

I like where it is headed, but it does need a lot of work.

The vocals need work. It sounds very tentative, not the type of voice you would want for rock. It also sounds like she goes off key at parts.

Work on the mixing, too. Did you record in seperate tracks or something? Why couldn't you bring up the cello?

s o u l f i r e
View Public Profile Find more posts by Drizzt Add Drizzt to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as z3phyrCloud)
Donated $4.64
(15-Feb-2006 at 10:32)

I twiddled around with my stereo and can make out the distorted cello. But I agree it should be turned up. I think the reason your vocalist sounds out a tune sometimes is because she doesnt have the rest of the chord to back her up, so turning up the cello would help.

Also maybe add some rolls on the drums or something to make it sound a little more interesting, and maybe try and find some cymbols with less splash and more of a gong-like sound, which I reckon would fit your sound very nicely.

I can see where you're heading with the song, and I think with the right effects and fixing a few of the sound issues it can be awesome.
View Public Profile Find more posts by CloudHeartsMeli Add CloudHeartsMeli to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(15-Feb-2006 at 11:42)

I can hear a lot of potential there and it is headed into a direction I really like, so once you get the cello going properly etc. and maybe some bridges played by the drums, it can be really AWESOME

Keep it up!

Pets are a great help in times of loneliness, and in times of starvation, too!
View Public Profile Find more posts by Hawki Add Hawki to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(15-Feb-2006 at 12:37)

i liked it right from the start way different, cool solo on 2.30

mixing & stuff like that needs a lot working of course, but it's not that easy..

ps. Maxkool sucks

Last edited by djot76, 15-Feb-2006 at 14:38.
Edit reason: Corrected time being messed up by locations blocker.
View Public Profile Visit homppa's homepage Find more posts by homppa Add homppa to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $6.28
(15-Feb-2006 at 13:11)

Re: My Band

Originally Posted by Drizzzt:
Ooo, compared to Pink Floyd.
Yeah, I was pretty pleased with that. Made my day in fact

Quote:
I like where it is headed, but it does need a lot of work.
Thanks, And I agree. I'm looking forward to it in fact.

Quote:
The vocals need work. It sounds very tentative, not the type of voice you would want for rock. It also sounds like she goes off key at parts.
We are encouraging Elena to be confident and stuff. Give her time.

Quote:
Work on the mixing, too. Did you record in seperate tracks or something? Why couldn't you bring up the cello?
The CD was recorded 'live'. It was run through a mixing desk, and then recorded into a computer. So everything was the in one file (except the solos, which we did afterwards and then mixed them in). That makes it kinda hard to adjust levels.

We were lucky in that we didn't have to pay for any of it because a friend of mine does sound engineering stuff. It fulfills the basic aim pretty well, in that it gives people an idea of our sound.

Originally Posted by z3phyrCloud:
I twiddled around with my stereo and can make out the distorted cello. But I agree it should be turned up. I think the reason your vocalist sounds out a tune sometimes is because she doesnt have the rest of the chord to back her up, so turning up the cello would help.
You could be right on that one. She may also be a bit out of tune in bits too... As noted above, the whole thing was recorded at once, so we couldn't really go back and fix up bum notes etc...

Quote:
Also maybe add some rolls on the drums or something to make it sound a little more interesting, and maybe try and find some cymbols with less splash and more of a gong-like sound, which I reckon would fit your sound very nicely.
I will be encouraging Nick to be more expansive with his fills. And he does like the idea of more cymbals. Not that he has much money, so who knows?

Quote:
I can see where you're heading with the song, and I think with the right effects and fixing a few of the sound issues it can be awesome.
Thank you very much.

Originally Posted by Hawki:
I can hear a lot of potential there and it is headed into a direction I really like, so once you get the cello going properly etc. and maybe some bridges played by the drums, it can be really AWESOME
We in fact have a song (not recorded) with a pretty cool drum solo. Edward really knows his way around the cello, so when you actually can hear him I hope you will be as impressed as I am. :P

Originally Posted by homppa:
i liked it right from the start way different, cool solo on ##:##
Which solo was that again? the first is bass, the second keyboards and the third cello.

Thank you everyone for all the nice things you have said about us. Makes me feel that the last couple of years of weekend rehersals haven't been in vain...

My Band
(17-Feb-2006 at 04:02)

exclamation mark I liked it.

Zelun can you post lyrics??

I really really like it. Especially about 2.20 in the musical interlude is sweet. Might just be personal preference of mine, but is the kind of stuff I dig. I like singers voice, reminds me of Robert Plant so far as its pleasantly and intriguingly off-key. I agree that the instruments need played with as far as prominence, perhaps even played with a lot, but regardless its a song I would listen to if it came on the radio. Good luck!

Last Member of the Church of Valek
-------------------------------------
Insert something witty here.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -John Paul Jones

Last edited by djot76, 17-Feb-2006 at 07:10.
Edit reason: Location... blocker... again. I've become a slave to the clock. :'(
View Public Profile Visit Dead Canaanite's homepage Find more posts by Dead Canaanite Add Dead Canaanite to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $6.28
(17-Feb-2006 at 07:37)

Lyrics:

Originally Posted by Redamber:
Thunderchild

You stand and watch the lightning
Shatter twilight from the door
Walk out and watch the hailstones
Wreck the world during the storm
Donít seem to care for safety
Standing out there in the rain
Donít mind the tearing wind
Donít seem to feel the pain

Thunderchild, Thunderchild

To you the storm, is beautiful to see
You love the heavy air, you bask in blind fury
Out there you stand, so far away from me
Lost in the beauty I canít see

The tempest roars around you now
Till with it you are one
Hard to tell the stormy night
From the wild thing youíve become
Now the storm is at its peak
Thereís nothing I can do,
But wait till storm is over,
And you turn back to you

Thunderchild, lost in beauty
Thunderchild, that I canít see
Thunderchild, lost in beauty
Thunderchild, come back to me

Your storm is over now,
Lightningís on the edge of sight
Through wind torn gaps in clouds
I can see the first starlight
You walk in, back to me
Soaked clothes dripping on the floor
Youíll stay here with me now,
Till next storm takes you out the door.

To you the storm, is beautiful to seeÖ
Hehe. The bit @ 2.20 is the end of the bass solo Thanks dude.

My Band

Last edited by djot76, 17-Feb-2006 at 19:26.
Edit reason: Bunkey smash clock! >_<
(Posted as Lodewijk)
Donated $4.04
(17-Feb-2006 at 08:06)

Wow, there's definitely potential there. I'm no music expert, but I know what I like and I liked that

Y'all from Brisbane? Come down and play a gig in Sydney some time. I've heard the Brisbane indie scene is pretty alright, but I've only heard of one (Iron On) thats made it to national attention - like Rage and Triple J.

Here's to hoping you'll join them.

Is birth always a fall?
Do angels have wings? Can men fly?
View Public Profile Find more posts by Happy Sid Add Happy Sid to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
Donated $6.28
(17-Feb-2006 at 08:19)

The Butterfly Effect are also a Brisbane band who did pretty well.

Powderfinger too. :P

We would love to play in Sydney. Unfortunately, right at the moment that doesn't seem to likely for at least a while yet.

If we do come down I will probably mention it somewhere. Or something. anywho...

My Band
(18-Feb-2006 at 10:28)

Not my usual cup of tea, but there are some interesting things going on in there!

Your singer's voice reminds me a little of Dolores O'Riordan from the Cranberries..

Keep it up!
View Public Profile Find more posts by jond Add jond to your Buddy List Reply with Quote
(Posted as z3phyrCloud)
Donated $4.64
(18-Feb-2006 at 11:02)

I wish I were in Brisbane now..they have the only unsold Yellowcard tickets left (since last time I checked..which was about 5 days ago).

Ah well, write a few more songs and come to Sydney to play =D
View Public Profile Find more posts by CloudHeartsMeli Add CloudHeartsMeli to your Buddy List Reply with Quote